Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2021, 11:26   #346
Team-BHP Support

Re: MG Astor Review

Size-wise, always buy for your use-case. If you can justify a Carnival for your use, sure, go get one. It's a fantastic minivan. Or get that hot hatch, if that's what you need/want.

Your neighbors and relatives will stop caring after a week and a few snide comments, you'll have to drive the car as long as you keep it, and lugging around unwanted size/dimensions can get annoying super quick, esp. in ever-congested urban areas.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st October 2021 at 11:28.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 11:27   #347
BHPian

Some additional info, I collected from the SA -
1. The production may be slow in the beginning. He mentioned initial batch of about 1500.
2. The showroom currently has 2 cars. And could not comment on delivery schedules post launch.
3. No info provided on ground clearance. I saw 175mm unladden GC for the Australian ZST petrol. This is really low and what I saw in the showroom was definitely higher than 175 mm. Does any one have more details on the GC?
4. The actual capacity of the boot was not revealed as well. Would really love to know how this compares with the competition.
Old 1st October 2021, 11:46   #348
BHPian

This brand gets it! They provide a compelling value proposition and their product flies off the shelf like hot cakes.

Though their Gloster was a miss, Hector and now Astor are a huge plus.

VAG, ToMo, Honda all need to take notes from SAIC.
Stribog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 12:34   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
May not be as fun as the 1.5 TSi DSG, but if it can offer an experience midway between the 1.0 TSi AT and the 1.5 TSI DSG - that itself is a battle won, considering everything else that the MG has to offer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
We'll only know for sure when we do a full review, but sample this for a first impression: multiple reviewers walked into the briefing area post-drive, and one of the first things I heard said was 'Well, that thing doesn't drive like a blingy Chinese boat at all, does it?'
Firstly, thanks to both of you for the superbly detailed and elaborate review. The first thing that came to my mind after reading through was that this sits nicely in the middle of VW/Skoda twins as far as the powertrain goes and is an interesting contender in seemingly crowding crossover space. Thoroughly impressed with what it offers as far as my priorities are concerned.

While MG has indeed hit the sweet spot as far as engine and transmission are concerned, one thing that concerns me is the tech overload. Is MG overdoing it as a matter of differentiation? Just how much tech is too much is difficult to say but in this case, it's loaded to the brim! Have heard stories of Hectors refusing to power up due to system overrides. Also, considering the non-enthusiast buyer, I think ADAS features definitely warrant training.

Last edited by pannags : 1st October 2021 at 12:36.
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 13:04   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
Now, my brain understands an upgrade need not mean a bigger vehicle. But the Indian heart does not agree.
Just the point that is so valid and very little discussion around it. Thank you for bringing it up. I am looking for an upgrade for my Baleno. Astor ticks all the boxes except the size and I mean the interior seating. It just isn't that much of an upgrade. Sometimes i think , better to opt for new gen City which would have all the safety features sans ADAS and definitely an upgrade size wise. Seating comfort and Safety is my priority. What are the thoughts of our distinguished members on this?
Pras92003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 14:01   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Hoping to visit and see the car in person soon, I am off the entire week of Dussehra, and I plan to visit all the dealerships and ride all the cars one after the another, would be a day well spent. Has MG revealed any date of when they plan to reveal the pricing, as I think this might be the last big release of this year and nothing exciting is in pipeline.

Cars I plan to TD are and then decide go forward plan are

1. Astor
2. XUV 700
3. Seltos
4. Maybe the compass as well!
Old 1st October 2021, 14:01   #352
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Firstly, thanks to both of you for the superbly detailed and elaborate review.
Credit goes to Chetan alone. I haven't driven the car and just going through the specs and his impressions - same as others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pras92003 View Post
I am looking for an upgrade for my Baleno. Astor ticks all the boxes except the size and I mean the interior seating. It just isn't that much of an upgrade. Sometimes i think , better to opt for new gen City which would have all the safety features sans ADAS and definitely an upgrade size wise. Seating comfort and Safety is my priority.
As Mr. Randhir Singh Kalsi (executive marketing and sales director - MSIL) once said - "Unchi is the new lambi."

However, if length is not an issue then you shouldn't be looking at the Astor - there are good options like the XUV 7OO, Hector and Harrier positioned not much above the Astor.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 14:37   #353
BHPian

Looks so good and the review makes it sound great! Hits most of what I'm looking for in a new car and more. Can't wait for the pricing!
Old 1st October 2021, 15:03   #354
BHPian

I got a call from the dealer and went and test drove the car. Drove the turbo petrol model. I really liked the drive. It was raining and too many potholes and the car was able to handle it pretty well.

The overall feel inside the car is very european and even the controls for indicators is also on the left.

This can be a very good alternative to the Korean and German twins as a perfect city car amd good for occasional highway trips

Now its down to the price for me .
hbkamit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 15:31   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
MG sets a realistic target to its monthly sales figures of Astor. Could be due to its production constraint.

Link
Last month MG did good numbers in EV. Also, MG is currently working on ZS EV facelift. https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/86674263.cms

Question would be - If MG launches ASTOR in EV form in next 6 months and that too given its 60% localisation (instead of getting imported as current ZS), the EV cost may come down. Also, as confirmed by volkman post, MG is targeting sub 20 Lakhs category with 500kms range. Then should one go for Petrol or EV??

MG could even launch ZS EV facelift in two variants - lower range of ~350KMS at 15-16Lakhs (compete with Nexon) and proper facelift at 20 Lakhs with 500kms range.

What will you choose if there is no urgency and can wait for 6 months?
manpreetsj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 15:57   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbkamit View Post
I got a call from the dealer and went and test drove the car. Drove the turbo petrol model. I really liked the drive. It was raining and too many potholes and the car was able to handle it pretty well.

The overall feel inside the car is very european and even the controls for indicators is also on the left.

This can be a very good alternative to the Korean and German twins as a perfect city car amd good for occasional highway trips

Now its down to the price for me .
Can you please share your experience with the NVH levels? Were any vibrations on steering wheel/pedals etc felt at idle?

Thank you!
Old 1st October 2021, 16:35   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
Can you please share your experience with the NVH levels? Were any vibrations on steering wheel/pedals etc felt at idle?

Thank you!
Below is my experience

Engine and Gearbox
1. Engine Vibrations : There were no vibrations at all when I drove the car. Nothing on the steering wheel or pedals. It felt really nice to drive and very smooth. It did not feel as it was a 3 cylinder engine. Had that not been disclosed, I would have never know if it was a 3 cylinder of 4 cylinder. But again this is my opinion. I am not an expert. More of a sit back and relaxed driver rather than a pure enthusiast.

2. NVH levels - you do get a slight noise inside the cabin only when you push the throttle. But if you are driving in city conditions with a light accelerator, you wont feel any sound.

3. Brakes - The car is really quick to accelerate and good on braking.

4. Seating comfort - I found the seats extremely comfortable and adequate legroom after the seat was set in my driving position. I am 5' 11. A friend on mine with exact same height was able to comfortably sit. I would say it is strictly a 4 seater (but a comfortable one). The middle seat is best for kids.

5. ADAS - I was a bit scared to try all the ADAS features on Delhi roads but did try the lane change feature and blind spot, that seemed to really good. Also if you have the 360 degree camera on, when turning the camera automatically switches on - I felt this to be nice feature.

One good thing is that the AI Inside can be turned off as well so you wont have eyes looking at you when you are driving

Again the above is my personal experience. I may not be an enthusiast but a regular drives who mostly drives in the city and occasional weekend trips with the Mrs. I already drive a Creta Diesel Automatic and on my comparison with Creta, I really liked the Astor and can be a good replacement for my aging Amaze.

Again it will be down to the price now. If they can price it well - I believe this car can sell in good numbers.
hbkamit is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 17:13   #358
Senior - BHPian

People who are interested to know the audio quality. @Mods: Please remove if you feel it does not follow forum rules:

Old 1st October 2021, 17:13   #359
BHPian

Can we use the AI bot display as a clock, with a digital or analog face?
That's one good use I can think for it.
Attached Images

ridehard is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 18:15   #360
BHPian

Thanks for such a detailed and well written review.

After the disappointment that AX5 has given in terms of features on offer, this surely looks like a very good option. Prior MG cars’ price also points that it will undercut both German and Korean. That makes it a sweet VFM alternate.

Another good thing that’s working for MG and one that I am happy to note is the gradual shift in the image from the “china car”.
So while it’s still a china car, the quality is not what you typically associate china with.

Fingers crossed for pricing. This addition to CSUV segment makes it a pleasant problem of plenty for the users. Can’t complain!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks