Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2021, 13:23   #526
Senior - BHPian

Re: MG Astor Review

Important factor is still unknown - Option pack pricing. This would essentially give us the top of the line pricing which might be as good as Seltos/Creta top end or even exceed.

In Pune, Seltos/Creta top end DCT is 21.14L and thereabout. If with option pack Astor comes to around 21.5L, 2L more would get you XUV 7OO P AT with 2l 200bhp petrol engine, AT and more space while 3L more would get you XUV7OO D AT. Wonder when would they come up with the option pack pricing.

Last edited by neoonwheels : 11th October 2021 at 13:25.
Old 11th October 2021, 13:25   #527
BHPian

Any ground clearance numbers yet? And what about ADAS pricing? GNCAP?
Old 11th October 2021, 13:45   #528
BHPian

So the Astor:

Is packed to the gills with functions & features
Has an average engine even in the top specification
Has acceptable driving dynamics not great
Does not offer a lot more space give and take a little here and there
Has fit and finish that most report is a segment higher
Has a price point similar to the competition (top variants)

Across this segment, there is a car for each buyer type which is what makes this segment very interesting. Where one is up, the other is down or in the middle.

Every car buyer has a smile on their face for a different reason - It could be tech/features, looks, interiors or an awesome engine coupled with great driving dynamics.

At the end of the day if driving this vehicle brings a smile on your face, certainly get one. This segment has enough offerings to bring a smile to all kind of discerning tastes.
NevGin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 13:48   #529
Team-BHP Support

Good pricing compared to rivals especially with the quality and features on offer, except for the one big elephant in the room - the XUV 7OO. What MG has done is to position their turbo just above the 1.5 NA and 1.0 Turbo of the rivals.

That said - those who have booked the XUV have no need for second thoughts! Those who haven't booked one yet - aren't going to get one soon anyways.

ADAS being optional is a big blessing in disguise! Those who want the top-end variant and have no use for ADAS features - can prefer to opt out! As we saw with the XUV 7OO as well - ADAS is expensive, even in one of the best priced cars of recent times.

Pricing compared to rivals - (both Astor and Taigun are introductory prices)

MG Astor Review-screenshot-20211011-1.43.18-pm.png
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 14:00   #530
BHPian

Got update from Sales Advisor:
  1. Online Pre Booking needs no money; basic details to be inputed
  2. Pre-booking opening today after 2:30 pm
  3. Booking Money to be paid on 21-Oct
  4. Optional Pack Available on Smart and Sharp; Black/Sangria Interior, ADAS etc form part of it
  5. Default interior is Black Beige
  6. Optional price coming in 1 or 2 days
KapilD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 14:07   #531
BHPian

here is where you can book:

https://www.mgmotor.co.in/tools/customize-astor-plan

https://www.mgmotor.co.in/tools/pre-reserve-mg-astor

This will be the final url, they just showed for few mins booking url, and then deleted. but I opened it and caught their developer red handed.

Last edited by maverickNerd : 11th October 2021 at 14:22.
maverickNerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 14:17   #532
BHPian

I think if someone wants a manual, the base model makes a lot of sense given what all safety features it offers at the price point.

MG Astor Review-img_20211011_141432.jpg
Old 11th October 2021, 14:19   #533
BHPian

Decent pricing I think.

However at this price point, Astor seems to be lacking behind on a few important/more usable features - ventilated front seats, paddle shifters and auto dimming IRVM. Not considering wireless charging. I strongly feel MG, along with its healthy list of usable features such as Hill Descent, 360 camera, lane assist, blind spot monitoring etc, should have given at least ventilated front seats at this price. Personally, I would miss paddle shifters the most if we were to buy Astor.

Creta might have an edge here and I feel typical Indian prospective buyers are going to prefer Creta for its better road presence, established brand value and bigger engine (not a lot would care about the missing cylinder in Astor though).

Overall, excited to see good competition in the segment.

Ps: Per our discussion with the SA, the Option pack with ADAS would cost 50-70k over Sharp variant which would result in 20 lacs OTR in most of the states in India and get dangerously closer to Hector, which seems to be a better proposition in a MG showroom today, even without ADAS.

Last edited by Col Mehta : 11th October 2021 at 14:31.
Col Mehta is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 14:35   #534
Senior - BHPian

I think MG missed an opportunity, they could have brought to bring it closer to the 8L-15L bracket, thereby giving the Nexon/Venue/Sonet buyers an opportunity as well as targeting the mid-spec Creta/Seltos. Plus they could have been able to better differentiate the Hector because of its larger size and comfort.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 14:50   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I think MG missed an opportunity, they could have brought to bring it closer to the 8L-15L bracket, thereby giving the Nexon/Venue/Sonet buyers an opportunity as well as targeting the mid-spec Creta/Seltos. Plus they could have been able to better differentiate the Hector because of its larger size and comfort.
You know what? I do agree with you. 15 lacs top end and they would have disrupted its whole segment and then some others. Also, a little birdie tells me that it was Mr. Chabba’s original intent but Brits didn’t agree to it, coz it would have been cheaper than the global price.
KapilD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 14:54   #536
BHPian

Key points to reassess Astor given the pricing is out:

1) Warranty of only 3 years/45K kms as standard is lower than Hector's 5 years for unlimited kms
2) There are only 4 speakers in top variant (competition gives 6 or more).
3) ADAS will add 80k to 1Lakh more to final price
4) No ventilated seats (standard in competition)
5) No AD IRVM
6) No ambient lighting
7) 17 inch alloys (not 18 inch of Hector or XUV or Seltos X line)
8) Standard suspension (no FSD of XUV or stabilizer of Hector)
9) Smaller fuel tank ~45Ltrs (vs. XUV, Hector)
10) Smaller wheelbase - compared to VAG and Korean siblings
11) Less powerful engine compared to VAG, Koreans, XUV700, Hector, etc.
12) TC (reliable) vs. DCT (faster)
13) Torque of 220 at 3600 rpm vs. 250@1500rmp of competition (Hence, pickup is sluggish and not fun to drive on paper)

Pricing seems to be driven more by supply constrains, as demand is there in market for Koreans (with poor safety) and for VAG (with poor VFM proposition) even after 3-4 price hikes in last 12 months.

Last edited by manpreetsj : 11th October 2021 at 15:17. Reason: Additional information added
manpreetsj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 15:08   #537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapilD View Post
Also, a little birdie tells me that it was Mr. Chabba’s original intent but Brits didn’t agree to it, coz it would have been cheaper than the global price.
Brits ? I thought MG India was a subsidiary of SAIC Motor China.
fhdowntheline is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 15:08   #538
BHPian

The other big opportunity that MG missed out is with (what must be) their 1.5 NA variants. No way the target market that would otherwise buy the 1.0 turbo (that the VW twins offer) would settle for this.

Had their less powerful engine been another, even if, lesser turbo, they could easily have been able to cater to those around the Rs.15 lacs (give or take a lac or even two). At least, I for one, was planning to go for the Kushaq and Taigun that have that very competent and efficient 1.0 turbo engine.

With their 1.3 turbo, they just might have narrowed their target market that have more options to look at at the Rs.20 lacs plus range.

Last edited by RPM1706 : 11th October 2021 at 15:09.
RPM1706 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 15:14   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapilD View Post
You know what? I do agree with you. 15 lacs top end and they would have disrupted its whole segment and then some others. Also, a little birdie tells me that it was Mr. Chabba’s original intent but Brits didn’t agree to it, coz it would have been cheaper than the global price.
Do you know something I don't? (to be read in the tone of Del Toro's character from Snatch)

Agree. I was considering this and hoping that the top end with ADAS and all is about 20 OTR max, Bangalore. But now with this pricing it looks to be landing around 22L OTR - which when compared to the XUV 700 is rather uncomfortably high.

I have always been a VFM guy (rather than segment driven) which means that now the attention is back on Magnite since at about 13L OTR its such a good deal - nearly half the price of the XUV700 and significantly cheaper than the Astor for the key upgrades (1.3Turbo, interiors, panoramic sunroof). Not sure i care about those features to be worth ~9L (might as well invest it and buy another better car 5 years down the line with the returns).
Transmission is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 16:05   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Brits ? I thought MG India was a subsidiary of SAIC Motor China.
I was under the impression that SAIC (China) is the owner/parent company of MG but the brand is operated out of UK? Is it not? SAIC Motors UK??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks