Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2021, 05:12   #256
Senior - BHPian

re: MG Astor Review

For a second I thought I was looking at the Creta with that ivory-black combo, especially the seat texture !
Yes, the black-ivory combination isn't that big a dust magnet as it is generally made out to be from my experience as well. Also I think it is a bit more classy than the wine-colour interior-that one looks more Austin Powers.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 10:31   #257
BHPian

MG should offer an option to remove the "AI bot". It is absolutely ridiculous looking to my eyes and gives a toy-ish feel to the car. I have seen some videos where the bot is also very clunky in operation. I suspect that they may have better sales if the bot is made optional across trims. That way, those who like these sorts of things will get the car for this 'feature', while others who are turned off by it would have an option to order it without the bot.

If initial reports are to be believed, this is a well designed car with good perceived quality. That, by itself, should be enough to sell it, IMO without the bot being imposed on all users.

Last edited by vipul_singh : 29th September 2021 at 10:34.
vipul_singh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 10:48   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
MG should offer an option to remove the "AI bot".
I totally agree. The Bot does not add any intrinsic value to the car and is totally unnecessary. All a voice assistant requires is a mic + screen + Processor + speakers. Based on how the bot operates it is basically just a swivel toy, and all the operations are being shown on the main screen below. Plus it might obstruct the line of sight for shorter drivers (not sure but likely).

From my perspective the Bot is actually one of the biggest negatives of the car and adds to the "Chinese" feel of a otherwise very European design.
nasir88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 11:01   #259
BHPian

Quote:
MG should offer an option to remove the "AI bot". It is absolutely ridiculous looking to my eyes and gives a toy-ish feel to the car. I have seen some videos where the bot is also very clunky in operation. I suspect that they may have better sales if the bot is made optional across trims. That way, those who like these sorts of things will get the car for this 'feature', while others who are turned off by it would have an option to order it without the bot.

If initial reports are to be believed, this is a well designed car with good perceived quality. That, by itself, should be enough to sell it, IMO without the bot being imposed on all users.
Absolutely! After producing such well appointed and high quality interiors that look miles ahead of most of the competition, if MG thinks that a half baked toy is what will pull in the buyers, that is baffling.

Hoping there is an option to either turn off the bot or even have the bot as an option

I wish they had, instead, just put that money into something more practical like an auto dimming IRVM.
RPM1706 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 11:26   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM1706 View Post
Absolutely! After producing such well appointed and high quality interiors that look miles ahead of most of the competition, if MG thinks that a half baked toy is what will pull in the buyers, that is baffling.
While I totally hate the bot too, I've come to realize that it could be a masterstroke for pulling the crowd (not the TeamBHP crowd but the actual target audience). Just like how a panoramic sunroof attracts the family, this "toy" was a favorite among all the kids who were there in the showroom. So while it might seem silly to us enthusiasts, such gimmicks work with the mass market. My dad who is not a car person by any stretch asked about the car that has the tiny robot inside! MG sure knows the pulse of Indian customers.
shibulijack is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 11:51   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibulijack View Post
..I've come to realize that it could be a masterstroke for pulling the crowd (not the TeamBHP crowd but the actual target audience). Just like how a panoramic sunroof attracts the family, this "toy" was a favorite among all the kids who were there in the showroom.
Absolutely agree with you: it’s a pure attraction feature, but as it goes with toys for kids, most average buyers would seldom use it after a few months; to draw comparison they keep the sunroof closed for most parts of the year due to subcontinental heat 😝

Even some sales advisors have commented to me that users forget about the sunroof after 2/3 months.

Also, this is what the variants offer in UAE. Do you think it would differ in the Indian market?
Attached Thumbnails
MG Astor Review-uae-variants-mg-zst.jpg  

Last edited by KapilD : 29th September 2021 at 12:04. Reason: Additional Info
KapilD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 12:15   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapilD View Post
Even some sales advisors have commented to me that users forget about the sunroof after 2/3 months.

Also, this is what the variants offer in UAE. Do you think it would differ in the Indian market?
The tiny sunroofs fall in this category for me. But the airyness that a good panoramic sunroof adds absolutely cannot be understated. Its a big deal for "perceived" volume - much like how ligher walls and mirros make a room feel so much larger and thus feel better.

Some members in my family suffer from some form of motion (car? - because they are just fine travelling by air, train or bus - its just cars that seem to be the issue) sickness and I am hoping that a sunroof helps.

And I love it too. Rain over a glass roof (or a glass wall/window for that matter) is absolutely quite an experience. Same with a tastefully done, gentle, indirect ambient lighting in white/yellow/light-blue shades. They add volumes to an experience - that has to be experienced to be believed. Sure it may be hit-miss for some, but its something that I absolutely love, personally.

I'm more peeved about the gimmicky AI assistant. That extra money could have so easily gone to add auto-dimming IRVMs and/or ventilated seats and/or wireless Android auto. Or ambient lighting or atleast a puddle lamp.
Transmission is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 12:20   #263
Team-BHP Support

We can complain all we want - if the car offered only gimmicks. But looks like MG has pulled out all the stops, in addition to having gimmicks to get the market talking -
  • The features (panoramic sunroof), size and presence to match a Hyundai Creta
  • The looks, screens, interior options and purifiers to rival a Kia Seltos
  • The build and interior quality to match/exceed the Volkswagen Taigun
  • The advanced tech like ADAS to match the Mahindra XUV 7OO.

A real omission is a diesel, but then BS6 diesels are sadly a dying breed with major tech issues that even die hard diesel-heads like me are finding it hard to choose one.

Now only few more things left to know-
  • If it has the driving dynamics to match the Skoda Kushaq. Will know by tomorrow for sure.
  • If it has the value to match it's own sibling - the MG Hector. We will know in a week.
  • If it has the reliability to match the outdated, but safe option of Suzuki SCross. Only time will tell. Hopefully not a tragic story like the Kushaq's to begin with!

If the latter two of three points are also in the MG's favour - they can put a dancing barbie also on the dashboard for all I care! In a market where everyone just seems to decreasing quality and increasing prices - we need real disruptors like the 7OO and Astor.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 29th September 2021 at 12:30.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 12:45   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
[*]If it has the driving dynamics to match the Skoda Kushaq. Will know by tomorrow for sure.
TBHP quick review up tomorrow?
SRKHYD is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 14:14   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
For a second I thought I was looking at the Creta with that ivory-black combo, especially the seat texture !
Exactly. You echoed my thoughts. It is so similar that even Creta owners can mistake Astor's interior with former's. Eventhough Astor is not equipped with Ventilated seats, perforation on seats makes it more identical to Creta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasir88 View Post
I totally agree. The Bot does not add any intrinsic value to the car and is totally unnecessary.
Quote:
MG should offer an option to remove the "AI bot".
Quote:
We can complain all we want - if the car offered only gimmicks. But looks like MG has pulled out all the stops, in addition to having gimmicks to get the market talking -
  • The features (panoramic sunroof), size and presence to match a Hyundai Creta
  • The looks, screens, interior options and purifiers to rival a Kia Seltos
  • The build and interior quality to match/exceed the Volkswagen Taigun
  • The advanced tech like ADAS to match the Mahindra XUV 7OO.
AI bot in Astor will be as useful as Panaromic sunroof in India. Those who know when and how to use will love it and there are others who will hate it. I won't be surprised if other manufacturers also start providing similar thing in their cars.

There are only two features which I think will be missed in Astor. Ventilated seats for masses and paddle shifters for enthusiasts. But people who have used these features before only will miss them. Since test drives are yet to start I asked the SA whether he had driven the Turbo petrol variant to which he replied yes. My next question was how it felt to drive and he answered in a single word - TORQUEY
bwildrd#1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 14:27   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwildrd#1 View Post
AI bot in Astor will be as useful as Panaromic sunroof in India. Those who know when and how to use will love it and there are others who will hate it. I won't be surprised if other manufacturers also start providing similar thing in their cars.

There are only two features which I think will be missed in Astor. Ventilated seats for masses and paddle shifters for enthusiasts. But people who have used these features before only will miss them. ...
I second your views. Those who know how to use these can extract the best out of these features in long term.

I use SIRI in my 7 year old car via blue tooth to have the same effect as Astor AI, except for the control of vehicles - so as you rightly said, depends on user.
KapilD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 15:11   #267
Senior - BHPian

Many reviewers seem to have gotten their hands on two slightly different variants. The wheels seem to be the main difference but some pieces of trim are also black instead of silver. Brake callipers are also red sometimes, but other times not.

Does the top end variant come with two sub-variants then?

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 29th September 2021 at 15:18.
Old 29th September 2021, 15:21   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Many reviewers seem to have gotten their hands on two slightly different variants. The wheels seem to be the main difference but some pieces of trim are also black instead of silver. Brake callipers are also red sometimes, but other times not.

Does the top end variant come with two sub-variants then?
Yes. There are two true top-end variants.

- 1.3L turbo with the turbine alloys + red brake calipers and black accents.
- 1.5L NA with the default alloys and grey skid plates.

Last edited by shibulijack : 29th September 2021 at 15:27. Reason: Added more information
shibulijack is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 17:04   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A real omission is a diesel, but then BS6 diesels are sadly a dying breed with major tech issues that even die hard diesel-heads like me are finding it hard to choose one.
I own an Ecosport Diesel which has clocked 1.85L kilometers and was anyway due for a change much before Ford formally announced its adieu.

The power of a Diesel mill and the way one is able to make quick overtakes were few reasons why I wanted another Diesel but owing to the DPF issues I've been reading about on Team BHP, even the best of Korean twins look like the erstwhile Germans in India, frequent warning lights and sensor malfunctions.

My usual drive to work involves good lot of potholes for about 6 Kilometers and only a car with good GC can do the work. I'd just casually gone to see the S-Cross last weekend which inspite of its built quality, turned out rather dud in the interiors - too dated a console. This was followed by a visit to the MG showroom and trust me, the Astor surely is a breath of fresh air.

The boot space isn't the segment best, will fit in 2 fairly large-sized suitcases. Adjusting the driver seat as per my convenience, the rear row had just bare enough space to not touch my knees. Overall, every car has its share of pros and cons but Astor surely has set the bar high. It's practical size-wise unlike the elder sibling, Hector.

Let's see how they price it! A Diesel would've surely been a ferocious competitor to Seltos and Creta but then, with all such issues around BS-6 Diesel Mills, an old-school Petrol NA would be good enough choice considering fuel efficiency for long daily commutes.
Old 29th September 2021, 17:16   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

2022 MG's turbocharged ZS ( Astor ) set for reveal in Thailand in October.

Here is the fuel efficiency of the more powerful AT variant ( 1.3-liter direct injection turbocharged 4-cylinder engine making 162 horsepower and 230 Nm of torque. Coupled to a 6-speed Aisin automatic)

Quote:
MG says it’s good for about 15.15 km/L.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks