Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2023, 18:40   #76
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue N Line Review

Today i covered Delhi - Jaipur - Delhi round trip in single day - Vehicle touched 18 kmpl while driving at an average speed of 85 km and dropped while coming back via Delhi - Mumbai Expressway - where the allowed speed limit was 120 - so pushed little hard and kept 130 - average dropped to 12 kmpl. But over all it was a good experience
Old 11th September 2023, 21:14   #77
BHPian

We took delivery of a new Venue N Line N6 in Shadow Grey last month in Chennai. We have done about 900 kms in the car so far and the experience has been very good. The Venue N Line N8 has already been comprehensively reviewed here and so I will try focus on our buying decision and a little bit on how the N6 compares over the N8.

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-20230910_1541572.jpg

This car is technically a replacement for my wife's 2018 Grand i10 Automatic I have to admit that it was very difficult to find a replacement for the Grand i10 as it was perfect in many ways. A refined 4 cylinder engine with a smooth and reliable torque converter AT, quality interiors that never really aged, a cohesive design that still looks modern, spacious and practical for a family and the perfect city car that will get you around in a stress-free manner.

In the right senses, I would have kept the Grand i10 but then not all decisions are sensible and logical. While it was practical and convenient, it was a slow and boring point A to point B car that I was itching to replace. We had had it for 5+ years and the used car market offers were good with an offer at 70% of its original price in our hand.

Once we had made the decision to replace the Grand i10, we roughly agreed on what we would look for in the replacement. Our priorities were:
a) City friendly footprint
b) Automatic ~ no AMTs
c) Fun factor with usable performance
d) Good fit and finish
e) 12L-20L budget

We spent more than 2 months evaluating multiple options but no other car tugged the heart strings and made sense to the head equally as much as the Venue N Line.

Our considerations

Maruti Suzuki Fronx 1.0 AT - On paper it made super sense. Boosterjet engine with a reliable torque converter, spacious, very well equipped and backed by the famed Maruti Network. We pre-booked the car but cancelled the booking once the prices were out.

Volkswagen Taigun/Skoda Kushaq 1.0TSI AT - Best driver's cars in this price range period. The 1.0 TSI engines were more than competent and both these cars were a hoot to drive. The build quality wasn't great for VAG cars though. It was a difficult decision to go for the Venue vs one of these cars but perception of reliability, previous Hyundai ownership experience and lower price tilted the decision.

Renault Kiger/Nissan Magnite 1.0 CVT - Both these cars were great value for money and the Turbo+CVT combination was fantastic. The cars however clearly felt built to a price with too many areas and hinges exposed and the TD cars showed their age very early.

Kia Sonet 1.0 DCT and 1.5 AT - The Kia Sonet certainly has a lot going for it and my wife loved the way it looked and how well equipped it was. But for me, while both the 1.0 and 1.5 engines were entertaining enough, it did not drive as well as the N Line twins.

Hyundai i20 N Line - The i20 N Line was also a good fit and we felt that it handled better than the Venue but the higher driving position and ground clearance of the Venue found favour with my wife.

Hyundai Venue N Line - This was the car we finally went ahead with for multiple reasons. Smart looks, Competent dynamics, Quality interiors with great fit and finish, Unique Shadow Grey exterior shade, City friendly nature, a Smooth DCT and a value oriented price point (N6).

Trim level: N6 or N8?

When Hyundai launched the Venue N Line, the N6 variant came only with 2 airbags and missed out on features such as electrically adjustable seats, dual dash-cam, HD infotainment with connected tech, reclining rear seat with arm rest. From a safety point of view alone, a lot of buyers would have skipped the N6.

In isolation, it was a very well equipped variant nonetheless with everything you’d practically need and want. Over time, Hyundai had added curtain airbags to the N6 as well as reclining rear seats making it even more sensible. The N6 also came with the added convenience of wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay which the Hyundai’s with connected car tech miss out on.

As the car was the 3rd in the family and was going to be used primarily in the city, the extra features weren’t really going to make a difference. Plus the fact that we have hardly ever found use for the famed connected car tech on 2022 GLA 220d made it easy for us to go for the N6 variant.

Buying experience

Choosing a colour wasn’t very difficult as it was only between a Thunder blue or Shadow Grey and we were OK with both. We had originally taken a test drive with Kun Hyundai in Chennai but they did not have any N Line’s in stock and we were quoted a waiting period of 1-3 months for the N6 variant.

It was by chance that I checked with V3 Hyundai, the dealer where we had earlier purchased our Grand i10 and we were in luck. They had one N6 Shadow Grey Venue in stock and they were willing to offer a discount on it. The car was manufactured a month earlier and the dealer was happy to let me check the car out in their yard. From the quoted price of 15.47L OTR, we agreed on a final on-road price of 14.82L ~ around 65k.

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-20230805_160043.jpg

I also opted for a Graphene coat and Garware 70 film from the dealer as the price was competitive (~40k). We had the car registered and delivered in 5 days with the necessary work done.

In addition to the floor mats and flaps, the dealer included a N Line brand pack on delivery which included a set of seatbelt shoulder pads, a cap, a t-shirt, a sweat shirt and a hot/cold insulated cup - all N Line branded.

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-20230811_183445.jpg

Overall, the experience was good and kudos to Hyundai for the consistency that they are able to maintain when it comes to their dealerships and service centres.

What I like
Entertaining and easy to drive- the 1.0 turbo + DCT combination makes it a fun car to drive in the city or on the motorway especially in the sport mode. And the high driving position, ground clearance and small turning radius make it very easy to drive.
The Shadow Grey Colour - The Venue is a really common car on Indian roads but that colour makes this Venue N Line really rare especially in conservative Chennai. Good or bad, it turns heads!
Wireless Android Auto/Apple CarPlay - This is one convenience that I really appreciate in the car. I have a personal Android phone that uses a type C connector but also happen to carry an old company issued iPhone 11 that requires the lightning connector. With wireless support, I can switch to my iPhone to attend a teams meeting and switch back to my Android phone by just toggling a button on the touch screen. In the GLA or the Compass, I have to carry 2 sets of cables to be able to do this.
The Interior - Hyundai cars are always a step above other manufacturers when it comes to interior quality. The Venue is no different and we love the feel of the N Line steering and shifter and the quality of the switchgear all around.

What I don’t like
Fuel Efficiency - The turbo petrol engine is very sensitive to driving patterns and traffic conditions. In bad and heavy traffic conditions, the car barely manages 6-7 kmpl but in light traffic conditions when driven with a light foot in the eco-mode, it returns 12+ kmpl. On an average, we have managed 7.5 kmpl average in the city due to bad traffic conditions due to extensive metro rail and storm water drain works which is a significant 25-30% lower than our GLA or Compass (diesels).
Turbo Lag - When the drive mode is set to Normal or Eco, the turbo lag is pronounced in lower revs and needs some getting used to.

Overall, the experience has been very good for the most part. The ride quality hasn’t really suffered from the suspension changes and the steering is sufficiently communicative. While the competition offers more equipment and/or more spacious cabins, the Venue N Line scores higher on quality, function and desirability and its a car that we’ll continue to look forward to drive for years to come.

A few parting shots of the car...

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-20230910_1542132.jpg
Hyundai Venue N Line Review-20230910_1542332.jpg

Last edited by clementj : 11th September 2023 at 21:18.
clementj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 14:16   #78
BHPian

Just wanted to share something new i learned with DCT's or rather i would say found

While driving on highways with "Cruise Control" ON - as soon as there is a steep incline / flyover - vehicle down shits from 7th to 5th (speed around 110 km) - however it feels like super rushing to gain back that speed. Seems like vehicle itself if pushing its limit to reach back the set speed (with RPM touching around 5000 - 5th gear - 100+ km speed)

Yesterday on my way back from Jaipur via Del-Mum expressway - i shifted gear knob to "Sports" (NOT the drive mode) and drive manually till it reached 7th gear - then set cruise control to 120 - now while stepping on a flyover (speed drops to around 113) - car sticks to 7th gear and keep pushing normally.

Other BHPians may share their experiences with DCT - Turbo please.
Old 13th September 2023, 10:50   #79
BHPian

BHPians - i felt the stock LED setup in 2023 N line is just average - any suggestions for upgrade without compromising on warranty ?
Old 4th October 2023, 17:28   #80
BHPian

*** Long due trip with my “Second wife” ***

With of course 1st one is the official one – this second love is like having a second wife – which never goes well with the first one (Doosri baat maan jati hai)

Coming back from 15 years with National Diesel engine of India (DDiS), recently shifted rather converted myself to a “Petrol-Head”. Key reason being NCR ban and since my daily commute has increased to 130+ km within NCR – auto gearbox was the need of the hour. So Venue N Line is here. I need to hear the heart beat of my love while driving, else I don’t feel connected – with 3 cylinder engine – I could have some of this - partially – miss you Oil Burners

Some background – I consider my father who is in his early 60’s still a die-hard driving fan – countless trips to North India hill stations + 5 trips to Badrinath, Kedarnath – that too in our beloved Carburetor wali 800, Old Zen and Daewoo Cielo. Recently took him on drive to Jaipur via Mumbai Expressway and it was a blast for him. For the first time he drove an Auto and I keep reminding him to rest his left foot.
Pre-covid – I used to do solo DEL-Pune trip every 6 months with overnight stay in Indore in my Brezza. So its been 4 years that I haven’t planned a 1000+ km trip. And here we all had 2nd Oct extended weekend and my Second Love is calling.

Why Mount Abu ? I believe this is the only Hill Station in the state of Rajasthan and having done N number of trips to Shimla, Nainital, Mussoorie, Kullu Manali – Itch was to explore this as well and compare. Best part is this place is around 750 km from Gurgaon – which I am comfortable covering in 1 day.

Planning – my car is just 6000 on the ODO – so just a tank full and basic checks. Random 3 star hotel booked online for 2 nights – since this was more of a solo driving trip – not looking for any luxury

The D Day – Finished Friday night early and fired engine at 5:30 in the morning. Trust me – the exhaust sounded so good in the silent parking lot. (got a sheer feeling of Paisa Wasool for N Line). Started following Google Map – since Hyundai in-built navigation is shady – followed old Delhi Jaipur route since it was early morning and Google Baba showed very less traffic. This is one highway that I personally have been driving since almost last 25 years and its still in bad shape (multiple constructions, bad road conditions) however there are hell number of fancy and big eateries till Jaipur. Once you cross Jaipur towards Ajmer / Pali – there are only basic Dhabas – where you can fairly see Truck drivers + general public – all eating in one place. Drove towards Ajmer bypass – Pali road – Jodhpur bypass and then Mount Abu. Finally reached Abu by 4:30 PM – checked inn – While returning back on 2 Oct – I started again by 5:30 AM – reached Gurgaon by 3 – was able to stretch “N Line” till Ajmer however from Jaipur – Delhi, it was flooded with NCR cars returning back - and then let pictures do the talking

Couple of points / Observations:

1. Coming from Brezza – N Line felt much more sorted while cornering
2. Never order any fancy dish in a remote dhaba – stick to basics like dal, vegetable, roti/rice. You wont find “Tandoori” rotis / dishes in local low scale dhabas – they only serve Tawa dishes.
3. Rajasthan police is nasty – I have a long-time experience with these guys – I tend to keep 10% above the speed limit and just keep driving – but stretched legs on some long runs where I was sure of no cops ��
4. Mount Abu is very near Gujarat border – in fact it’s a mini-Gujarat + lots of Boose – Everyone speaks Gujarati there – even Beggers. People who have been to Himachal, UK – please don’t even compare. (by the time you start seeing Hair Pin turns – road ends ☹
5. Shop owners / Hotels wont bargain – Booze is sold 5-10% above MRP – they are spoiled – thanks to Gujarat (no offence to anyone please) In fact most of the big eateries are owned by Gujarati’s only and they only accept Cash payments – No card / UPI (all their menu prices are inclusive of GST)
6. Delhi to Jaipur – fairly heavy traffic, Jaipur to Kishangarh – less traffic, Ajmer to Jodhpur and further – very less traffic.
7. Always follow the local state news where you are travelling – Rajasthan fuel stations were closed for couple of days recently and were only left with limited stock – so it was a rationing system after Pali – no-one was ready to do a full tank – so had to fill up “Hazar Ka” 3 times ☹ In fact there is only 1 fuel station in main town of Abu which is near the main attraction “Nakki Lake” – it was completely jam packed and caused a km long queue on weekend with big GJ cars piling up.
8. Except the old Delhi Jaipur road – rest of the highway is fantastic – hardly any broken patches
9. All fuel stations accepted UPI – refrain paying via card.
10. Tourist places will spot outstation cars and will ask for parking money – without any valid ticket – don’t get into arguments – not worth it – just pay and move on – they are local goons
11. With my Second Love – got around 11 kmpl on highway round trip – while in city I get around 15 – “another wife – another animal” Specially while alone
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1386.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1387.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1388.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1390.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1392.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1393.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1394.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1395.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1398.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1400.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1401.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1402.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1404.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1405.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1407.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1411.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1412.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1413.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1414.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1417.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1418.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1419.jpg  

Last edited by Ashdel : 4th October 2023 at 17:29. Reason: missed a word
Old 4th October 2023, 17:33   #81
BHPian

Pictures continued - Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1428.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1438.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1440.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1442.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1443.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1449.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1452.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1454.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1457.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1458.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1460.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1461.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1467.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1475.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1482.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1485.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1486.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1487.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1488.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1489.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1491.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1492.jpg  

Old 19th October 2023, 14:07   #82

Initial impressions of my Hyundai Venue N Line N6

Hello, respected fellow forum members ��! I am a long time follower of this forum, but I only got my membership approved in the recent months. The content on this forum has always quenched my curiosity, broadened my knowledge, and helped me in making my own decisions better. So, here I am to share my own perspective to help those who come here after me ��

Background

I was driving a 2014 Hyundai Eon Magna+ that I purchased in 2017 for almost 5 years when the itch to upgrade caught me. My friends were always urging me to take a safer car, and I too wanted a car that would be suitable for highway, not just the city.
At the same time, I was going through some trouble elsewhere in life, and kept postponing the upgrade. But, as it would turn out, the situation dragged, and I finally decided to not let go of the joy of owning a new car by other things and bit the bullet!
A photo of my beloved Eon below.
Hyundai Venue N Line Review-20230501_1851095.jpg

Hunt for a new car

I was somewhat clear about the requirements. I wanted the car to have the following features.
1. It should be proper automatic (no AMT / iMT).
2. It should have a decent infotainment system with Android Auto.
3. There should be automatic climate control.
4. There should be a reverse camera.
5. The car should accelerate well and handle well - but these were not deal-breakers - I do love cars, and enjoy driving, but I am a sedate driver most of the time, and have fun pushing the car only on few occasions.
6. It should not be a sedan (I know the sedans are preferred for their superior handling and aerodynamic shape, but I live in a city and I value compactness way more than handling).

With the above clear criteria, and a budget less than 15 lacs, only two cars caught my fancy - the Kia Sonet and the Hyundai Venue. I wasn't too interested in Kiger / Magnite as they weren't from the OEMs with bigger footprints.
Further, I didn't like the styling of the new Venue, and the variant that came below 15 lacs didn't have climate control, alloy wheels, etc. So, I did a few test drives with the Kia Sonet, found nothing wrong with the car (I already liked it), and booked the HTX DCT variant in August, 2022.
They contacted me in December saying the car was ready, but there was another crisis that I was dealing with at that time, and passed on the opportunity to purchase.

Finally, the storms were over, and I was ready to get the car in May, 2023. I contacted Kia showroom where I booked the car, but the prices got increased by more than 60k, and I was in dilemma again. And during one of these days, I came across the Venue N Line news on TBHP and enquired about it at the nearby Hyundai dealership. The price was around 50k more than Sonet HTX, but I was ready if there was value in that.

Test drive, booking, and delivery

I took a test drive of the car, and really liked it. I felt the seating position was better than the Sonet, and the visibility of the road was definitely better. I liked the handling and the planted feel of the car, and the sports mode (which was easily accessible in Venue) literally put a smile on my face. I ended up booking the car at the dealership. They promised delivery in 3 months, but I visited another dealership afterwards, and they had one shadow grey N6 arriving that day itself that they could deliver me in the interest of month end.
I did a PDI the next day armed with the TBHP checklist, and everything seemed okay. I got the delivery of the car the next day.

The journey so far, and my impressions

I have completed close to 4500 kilometers with the grey beauty till date, and have been thoroughly loving it. I haven't taken her to all the terrains yet, so this review is based on where we've gone so far - office runs, in and around Hyderabad (Shamshabad, Shamirpet, Yadagirigutta, Vikarabad, etc. through ORR) and one recent trip to Bangalore, Mysore, and Bandipura through NH 44, and Bengaluru - Mysuru Expressway.

Here's what I think of different aspects (at least the ones that matter to me) of the car.

Engine
The drivability is good once you are in the power band. You can overtake most of the vehicles on the road without much effort. I have done speeds (slightly) exceeding 120 kmph and didn't feel the engine was strained. The power, at lower RPMs, comes as a sudden surge though - which I feel is very inconvenient when you are at a crawling speed, and want to cover a limited distance quickly. The car might even feel out of control for someone unsuspecting. Overall, quite happy with the performance though.

Gearbox
The DCT gearbox is quite nice, by the virtue of being butter smooth. On plains, or downhill slopes, you cannot feel the gear shifts at all. The default tuning of the gearbox is conservative though, and upshifts are quite quick. Mind that the gearbox, in conjunction with the engine, can serve you power when you need it - by going to the power band / turbo range, and holding the gear. There's turbo lag though, and you're better off using the paddle shifters to stay in the power band when the window of opportunity to overtake is limited.

Suspension
Probably the best quality of this car that I like. I feel that this is tuned perfectly for our roads. The ride quality is not stiff, and be it lower speed or higher, the car absorbs the undulations of the road in such a composed manner. Even at higher speed, the car stays composed when tackling sudden big potholes.
I haven't driven the best handling cars, but this certainly satisfies the driving enthusiast in me. The body roll seems to be contained, and I am able to take corners with sufficient speed.

Steering
The steering also feels precise enough to guide the car precisely to where I want it to point to. This, along with the suspension, makes driving quite interesting in my opinion.
However, I am not fully satisfied with the steering also. I find the steering to be unnecessarily heavy, and it's more pronounced at lower speed. The steering is so heavy that I used to get shoulder pain after long city driving.

Exterior
Not a big fan of the grill, but I like the overall styling of the Venue N Line. I do think that the car looks beautiful and I look back often at her after locking and going away.

Interior
We know that Hyundai does a good job here, and this is no exception. I didn't expect anything more at this price point. The cabin feels so premium, and the ergonomics are so sorted.

Seats
Coming from the Eon, I used to feel that the seats are hard, and they are indeed firm, but nothing that you cannot endure. The front seats are a nice place to be and they hold you in place even when you take corners at slightly higher speeds ��

Visibility
Great, nothing to complain here. You even get to see the bonnet!

Driving modes
I'm a huge fan of this feature. You get three modes - Eco, Normal, and Sport; and the driving dynamics (at least power delivery) changes completely depending on the mode. In Eco mode, the power comes very linearly, and I feel the turbo doesn't kick in perhaps? I use it in heavy traffic when all I can do is to match the speed of the traffic. The Sport mode delivers more power even from lower RPMs and acceleration is quite quicker. I generally don't use it as this drinks too much fuel, and the power delivery becomes very spiky for city conditions. I use it on twisted roads when I'm in the mood for some fun. I use the Normal mode for all other cases, which satisfies all general conditions.

Infotainment system
The 8" touchscreen is nice and responsive, and for most part, the wireless Android Auto works pretty well. What I'm not satisfied with is the sound quality of the unknown audio system. I'm not an audiophile, yet neither the lower or the higher or any frequency for that matter sound nice to me in this car. Even my Eon had better sounding speakers.

NVH
I feel this is decent for the price. The engine is smooth for the most part, and the cabin is quiet enough to filter out the road noise while allowing some of those exhaust pops in. The journey overall feels relaxing and I don't feel tired even after longer journeys.

Fuel economy
I don't know whether to be happy or sad about it. Coming from an Eon, the trips to fuel stations have increased manifold. Although, I understand that the fuel economy I'm getting, between 8 to 12 in slow traffic, 14 to 16 in smooth city traffic, and 16 to 20 on highways, is decent for this engine.

A few photos

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-20230815_1747082.jpg
Hyundai Venue N Line Review-20231007_173611.jpg
Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_20231002_1543013.jpg

... And that's probably it! Please reach out to me if you are looking for any particular information / opinion, and I'd be glad to help you on your new car selection journey!

Thanks for reading ��

Last edited by ajmat : 26th October 2023 at 19:54. Reason: small typo
jaibatrik is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th October 2023, 19:31   #83
BHPian

Just wondering if any N Line owner has installed a wireless Carplay adapter and can share experience please. TIA
Old 13th November 2023, 19:11   #84

Hi Ashdel,

I recently bought OTTOCAST CarPlay wireless adapter in my new Venue N line N8 and have just used it about 2-3 times on city rounds. I found it good so far though I felt that the phone heated up a little bit. It got stuck once but unplugged and plugging back helped. I find it useful as I on't have to connect my phone. Will be doing a Goa trip shortly so planning to use it all the way to test it on long drives. Will update the results post that. For now, it seems worth it if plugging your phone every time is tedious. I got it for 7k on Amazon post some discounts. Here is the link:
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0C...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashdel View Post
Just wondering if any N Line owner has installed a wireless Carplay adapter and can share experience please. TIA
vijayendra16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 06:54   #85

Hi All. This is my first post after my memebership being approved after 3 attempts. Feeling excited. Today I'm taking delivery of my Hyundai N Line N8 car - Susee Hyundai Tirunelveli. Planning to post a review. A quick question. Noticed the car comes with MRF Wanderer Street typres 215/60 R16. Planning to get it upgraded straighaway. Dealer suggesting Bridgestone while I read in forum here about Michelin in some thread. Can someone share their experience if you've upgraded please.

Thanks!
Old 18th December 2023, 10:57   #86

Hi All,

This is my first post on here and super excited to seek the help from fellow bhpians.

I am planning to buy a new car for me, It will be my first car but we have 2 cars in our family and I have driven both of them a lot. I have made sure that I wanted to buy an automatic but not an AMT or an iMT. Hence My choice was reduced to DCTs and TCs and my budget was around 12 lakhs OTR. But soon I realized no cars with proper automatics are available in that price bracket. While researching, I stumbled upon Hyundai Venue S(O) DCT which is 13.4 Lakh on road in my city. This variant is decently loaded with feature which I am looking for. Hence I have almost finalized this. I have made a booking of this model and meanwhile continue doing research on this engine and gearbox combo. As this would be our first petrol car in family, all other cars are diesels only. I am specially worried about the DCT gearbox, I am hearing a lot about heating issues with DCT gearbox and their reliability, is this gearbox that bad or it can be manageable with proper care?
Old 19th December 2023, 11:37   #87
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ajk_ View Post
Hi All,

This is my first post on here and super excited to seek the help from fellow bhpians.

I am planning to buy a new car for me, It will be my first car but we have 2 cars in our family and I have driven both of them a lot. I have made sure that I wanted to buy an automatic but not an AMT or an iMT. Hence My choice was reduced to DCTs and TCs and my budget was around 12 lakhs OTR. But soon I realized no cars with proper automatics are available in that price bracket. While researching, I stumbled upon Hyundai Venue S(O) DCT which is 13.4 Lakh on road in my city. This variant is decently loaded with feature which I am looking for. Hence I have almost finalized this. I have made a booking of this model and meanwhile continue doing research on this engine and gearbox combo. As this would be our first petrol car in family, all other cars are diesels only. I am specially worried about the DCT gearbox, I am hearing a lot about heating issues with DCT gearbox and their reliability, is this gearbox that bad or it can be manageable with proper care?
If you are willing to spend up to 13.5 lakhs OTR for an automatic car, you do have quite a few options, they being:

1. Tata Altroz XZA Plus (S)
The Altroz is one of the safest automatic cars (5-star GNCAP) you can get in this budget and you get in a 6-speed wet-clutch DCA with a planetary gear system, it is much more reliable than a dry-clutch DCT too. However, power (87bhp) and torque (115 nm) are not as high as the Venue DCT (118 bhp and 172 nm) but safety, features, and comfort are top-notch. The top-of-the-line XZA Plus (S) comes with all the features you need and costs under 11.78 lakhs OTR, to add to that you get up to a 30k cash discount as well (depending upon the variant). It's an excellent choice to consider if you are looking for a safe car with space, practicality, and features, and are not thirsty for performance.

2. Honda Amaze VX CVT
The Amaze is the best sub-4-metre sedan you can get and the top-of-the-line VX CVT is decently equipped and offers a 1.2 L Petrol engine producing 89 bhp of power and 110 nm of torque, the car is safe (4-star GNCAP), has enough space, a large boot and is one of the most reliable cars in this budget. At under 11.40 lakhs OTR and with over Rs 67K Benefits (Including Rs 25K Cash + Rs 15K Exchange Bonus + Corporate and loyalty), if you are after a sub-4-metre sedan, the Amaze is the way to go. If you want a little more flair, the Elite Edition at just over 17k extra offers visible changes on its exterior including an Elite Edition badge, boot spoiler with built-in LED, front fender garnish, and anti-fog film on ORVMs, features such as TPMS, front armrest with a sliding function, tyre inflator, and Elite Edition-specific seat covers and illuminated scuff plates.

3. Hyundai i20 Sportz IVT
The i20 Sportz IVT is a decently equipped car which is spacious and practical, the car offers adequate performance (87 bhp of power and 115 nm of torque) with a smooth IVT, at just 11 lakhs OTR and along with over 20k discounts, the i20 Sportz IVT is a car worth considering.

4. Nissan Magnite Turbo CVT
If you are looking for a safe (4-star GNCAP), powerful (99 bhp of power and 152 nm of torque) and feature-loaded SUV, the Nissan Magnite might just be the best pick under 12 lakhs OTR, beginning with the XV Turbo CVT ( at 11.78 lakhs OTR) till the XV Premium (O) Turbo CVT (at 12.99 lakhs OTR), the Magnite is a worthy contender, and with over Rs 90,000 Benefits (Rs 25K Cash + 2 Year AMC Maintenance + Rs 40K Exchange Bonus + Rs 10K Corporate Discount + Finance at special 6.99% Interest Rate), it sweetens the deal.

5. Maruti Ciaz AT
If it's a mid-size sedan you are after, and you seek space, comfort, a big boot and rock-solid reliability all under 14 lakhs, look no further than the Ciaz, the 1.5L K-15B engine with 103 bhp of power and 138 nm of torque is a tried and tested engine (the same one that powers the Jimny) and with prices beginning from 13 lakhs OTR for Delta AT to 14.45 lakhs OTR for Alpha AT and discounts (Rs 25K Cash discount + 25K Exchange Bonus + 3000 Corporate discount) to sweeten the deal, the Ciaz is a good option if you are into a value for money sedan.

6. Hyundai i20 N-Line N6 DCT
If you want an even sportier i20, then the N-Line is the one for you, with 118 bhp of power and 172 nm of torque, it is the only car which comes close to being a hot hatch in this segment, the N6 DCT costs 13.15 lakhs OTR, and you get upto 20k discount as well, if you can get a pre-facelift model (some dealerships still have a few in stock), you get over 50k cash discount too.

7. Maruti Brezza VXi AT
The Brezza VXi AT costs 13.17 lakhs OTR and can be a worthy contender with proven safety (4-star GNCAP), a 1.5L K-15C series engine, and an adequate feature list.

8. Renault Kiger RXZ Turbo CVT
The top-spec Kiger CVT costs 13.25 lakhs OTR and with up to Rs 65K Benefits (up to Rs 25K Cash + 20K Exchange + Rs 20K Loyalty). Additional Dealer End Offers on Select Variants, is an option worth considering as well.

9. Hyundai Venue S(O) Turbo DCT
The Venue S(O) Turbo DCT costs around 13.5 lakhs OTR and is a powerful, modern car with an adequate feature list, a good option worth considering.

10. Kia Sonet HTX DCT
If you like the pre-facelift Kia Sonet HTX DCT, now is the time to get your hands on one, at 14 lakhs OTR, it wasn't cheap but now with over 90k discounts and offers including 5 Year Warranty + 3 Year / 30,000 Kms Maintenance Package + Accessories Pack + Dealer End Stock Clearance Offers, it is a worthy contender in the sub 4 metre SUV space, and with the facelift launching next month, you could get an even sweeter deal. Do consider it.

Now, to conclude, if you are after power, performance and features along with the SUV body style, the Sonet and the Venue are the best options here, if you want a VFM package, the Kiger and Magnite are the way to go, if its a sedan that you desire, the Ciaz and Amaze are great options, else if you want a hot-hatch the i20 N-Line is the best option available, otherwise, for a hatchback the regular i20 and Altroz are good options too.

Now to your issue on DCT reliability, yes DCTs can be a bit risky owing to the complex technology involved but that doesn't deter customers from choosing them or manufacturers from providing them, always take the maximum possible extended warranty and take proper care to avoid DCT heating and you are good to go. Else for a more carefree and much more reliable experience, Torque Converter ATs and CVTs are the better options.

Hope it helps! and feel free to DM me if you need any more help.
bijims is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 16:59   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashdel View Post
*** Long due trip with my “Second wife” ***
Solo Trip # 2

Nov'2023 - Kasauli (HP) - Its not a commercial hill station like Shimla, Nainital etc - there are no fancy restaurants or jazzy mall road - this place is for nature overs and relaxation. My fellow BHPian Vishesh recommended "Hotel New Ross Common" owned by HP Tourism. I was not confortable initially - since had very bad experiences with state owned properties - still this one looks the best in pictures. Trust me friends - this is an extremely HOT property. Stunning viewes, great location and beautiful rooms. Food is also good.

Another good idea was to search for good food options with scenic beauty. Glad i did found one. Food wasnt that great but the ambience and stunning viewes of Nature made it taste like heaven.

Overall its a great drive from Delhi to Kasauli via Chandigarh / Mohali - Nice highway. However please be aware that local police are famous for their strict action - if caught over speeding. Specially the other state registered cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1498.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1690.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1691.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1692.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1693.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1694.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1696.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1697.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1703.jpg  

Hyundai Venue N Line Review-img_1716.jpg  

Old 7th January 2024, 17:02   #89