Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2023, 03:52   #1186
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Daroga View Post
Hi. This is for the manual owners. I've booked the alpha manual. However, since only the automatic variant is available for a test drive, haven't got the chance to experience the manual transmission.

What is your experience so far? Especially in the main painpoint: traffic.
I have done 500kms on the AT.
Also drove the manual extensively.
AT wins hands down

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchvan View Post
Greetings,

My choice is Sizzling Red

Drive Safe.
Congratulations, you will get it soon
Red looks fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Yeah, I Ordered a few different types and, in the process, some more damage - camping chair, cooking set etc..; it looks like this is going to be a costly hobby
Congratulations sir
Can you please list out the accessories you have opted for
My list is still work in progress
Thank you

Last edited by ecosport rules : 1st July 2023 at 03:59.
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 07:49   #1187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I just observed the outline of the spare wheel in the reverse camera guidelines. The Yellow Dotted portion..accurate representation of the spare wheel.
That's thoughtful and useful. Even the grand Dady "G" does not get this

Quote:
The car 'feels' eager since the revs will increase (taking the engine further into the rev range) as you are restricting the vehicle from going to the next gear.
Quote:
If it helps in anyway the OD OFF button drops from 4th to 2nd so it's not just about restricting to 3 gears IMO.
As I mentioned before, engine is pretty free-revving, it's the gearbox that's responsible for mediocre performance at higher speeds. But, it also means, you can drive the car at pretty high speeds in each gear. OD button is useful in traffic as I found yesterday and also if you are looking at spirited driving (or at least a feel) This is a 3 speed gearbox and 4th is overdrive. So, we can probably drive this all day in 3rd.

Quote:
glad you took the plunge.
Thanks, yes I don't want to buy something and then sell so soon. So took a while to finalise, hope it stays.

Quote:
How are you liking the Geolanders? We should do a comparison with the Conti and share feedback with the community on the Tire thread soon.
Sure but I think it will be difficult to find the difference so easily as both are very good. Yoko's have a soft sidewall or used to have, I have seen sidewalls getting damaged. But I think, Yoko has unconditional warranty on these tyres ( made locally)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
I
Can you please list out the accessories you have opted for
Nothing much, few things from Amazon

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and some cabin bulbs.

This thing arrived yesterday and looks solid
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-whatsapp-image-20230701-7.48.47-am.jpeg  

Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 08:25   #1188
Distinguished - BHPian

I see Rs 19,999 mentioned as "Basic Accessories". What are these? I don't want to haggle but at the same time I don't want some rubbish decorations (like chrome or door/bumper protectors) slapped on the car in the name of accessories.

Also can I ask Nexa guys to put PayTM fastag which is what I use for other cars - very convenient as they all use same wallet balance to pay the toll and I don't have to individually manage the balance for each tag.

They are also saying they need 5 days to deliver after receiving the full payment for a car that's already in stock.

Being a new car launch and having no relationship, they seem to be in a "take it or leave it" mode.
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 08:27   #1189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
Congratulation on your Jimny. It's a neat little vehicle for the hills.

I was curious about what exactly do you plan to do with the portable jump starter. Your vehicle is brand new and the battery should last at least 5 years.

Storing a LiIon battery in an enclosed vehicle parked on a hot summer day can be very dangerous as the temperature inside the vehicle can reach 65C and even beyond. Now most of the branded jump starters would undergo a catastrophic failure much before that.

I have a NOCO GBX45 Jump starter that's rated at 1,250A. If you notice on the datasheet, it clearly says that the operating range is -20C to +50C.

Attachment 2470211

If you're still concerned about a flat battery, you could keep a normal jumper cable although I don't see why would you need even that with a brand-new vehicle.
I've have used auto cars overseas in the past and never felt the need to carry a portable jump starter. The RSA network there was very reliable and the max I would carry were jumper cables, as you've suggested.

Yes you are right, there's not much need for concern since this is new car but I may have to head out to remote destinations here in HP and was just wondering what might happen out of sheer bad luck. But I suppose, I may just be overthinking this and could make do with jumper cables. Thank you.
sammysossa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 11:37   #1190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I see Rs 19,999 mentioned as "Basic Accessories". What are these? I don't want to haggle but at the same time I don't want some rubbish decorations (like chrome or door/bumper protectors) slapped on the car in the name of accessories.
You can pick and choose what you need from accessories.
Cabin , trunk Mats and mudflaps are good.
Side cladding is fantastic

Nexa is taking a shortcut for mud flaps installation

Please follow this video step by step for the correct way to install mud flaps

Congratulations in advance

Also upgrade the tyres to 215/75/R15
Shared a picture of my Jimny for reference
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-20230630_174932.jpg  

Last edited by ecosport rules : 1st July 2023 at 11:49.
ecosport rules is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 13:35   #1191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
While Thar is officially a 4 seater, it has enough width to accommodate occasional 3 at the rear. Jimny on the other hand is ONLY 4 seater. You literally feel you could enter from one side and open the opposite door right away, it is that narrow. You will rub shoulders with your passenger even in the front, period!
How wide and spacious is the Jimny's rear seat, compared to an Alto and a Swift?
We have all seen 3 people fitting in Swift's rear seat and even in an Alto, when necessary. Of course with the real estate on offer for all the higher segments, we would all feel that it's just enough for two people in the back but just wanted to understand this comparison without a segment bias.
VinsWagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 15:39   #1192
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinsWagen View Post
How wide and spacious is the Jimny's rear seat, compared to an Alto and a Swift?
We have all seen 3 people fitting in Swift's rear seat and even in an Alto, when necessary..
Three slim small built people can be fitted in. But it wont be very comfortable for the middle person. Three kids can fit.

But there is no middle seat belt in the rear seat of the Jimny just like in the new Thar.

With safety belts being mandatory for all passengers seating three abreast in either the Jimny or the That is not an option for those who wish to abide by the letter of the law.
Old 1st July 2023, 15:52   #1193
BHPian

Took the Jimny on a wilderness trail and climbed up some hills. We had taken a Thar and an Endeavor on the same route before. Thar was able to ride up without any issues but we had trouble turning it around. With Endy, the huge width and length causing the owner to freak out about too many scratches and it turned back half way.

I am neither a professional off roader, nor did I have any spotters. Having said that, it felt easier taking the Jimny up solely because of the following

Width - Compared to others, Jimny is stubby and can easily move around areas where you normally don't have much leeway. For larger vehicles the only option is the tire path in middle since there is no space on the trail and the track is often rutted down because of repeated use. But the little Jimny can do the same in 3 or 4 different ways around it avoiding the main tire track ruts.

Weight - The low weight seem to actually help it light foot over some obstacles. Places where we had to put in tree trunks were easily crossed by Jimny where others would sink the supports into the ground.

Visibility – Could see a lot more, both in front and around. Not having thick pillars and straight profiles help you confidently edge to the sides. I don’t know about the convertible Thar on whether it has better visibility but the Endy was worse of all of them.

It was not all great, some of the problems were..

Turning radius - While I didn't feel it during driving, it did feel painful to do 3 point turns with it. Also, the turning needed on the Jimny is more than others making it feel more like those old truck steerings.

Steering - I really missed the 10 and 2 o clock knurls that allow you to hold the steering. The smooth steering misses the finger and hand knurls and I sometime get lost in it's position. Nice chunky knurls on default hand location would be a welcome addition, though I don't know if we cn get that aftermarket.

Overall I enjoyed the outing and gave me confidence to do more of these. I also got a chance to engage 4WD. Only on the steepest of inclines did I really need 4H and did not need to shift to 4L. I tried the hill decent control but didn't see much use of it. Probably because I was using the brake earlier on for it to get a chance to work.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img_20230701_154121.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_20230701_154057.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img20230629105316.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img20230629110510.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img20230629105912.jpg  

astrodex is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 16:28   #1194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodex View Post
Took the Jimny on a wilderness trail and climbed up some hills. We had taken a Thar and an Endeavor on the same route before. ....
Finally, A Jimny doing what it is meant to do. More pics on this terrain is definitely needed. How was the ride comfort in comparison with the Thar and the Endeavour in this terrain? I meant in areas of body roll, bounciness and driveability fatigue as offroading, mild or hardcore does demand more from the vehicle, the passengers and the driver.
Neil Roy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 16:35   #1195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We have all seen 3 people fitting in Swift's rear seat and even in an Alto, when necessary. Of course with the real estate on offer for all the higher segments, we would all feel that it's just enough for two people in the back but just wanted to understand this comparison without a segment bias.
Jimny is a 4 seater ,on paper too

No under thigh support in rear seat for adults,ok for kids.
Old 1st July 2023, 16:47   #1196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
That's thoughtful and useful. Even the grand Dady "G" does not get this

Thanks, yes I don't want to buy something and then sell so soon. So took a while to finalise, hope it stays.
For fun, you MUST post a set of pictures taken side-by-side, I think it would be a delight to see them together!

I was in the exact same boat, and the only saving grace I had in mind was if I don't like it I will be able to easily sell it without much loss due to initial demand. But just a week of owning this and I know for sure, my Jimny will only be replaced when Maruti launches the electric version of the Jimny. I am absolutely in love with the car and it has blown me away, it does have some niggles which can be sorted out easily. For 16 lakhs on road I think this is the bang for buck fun car I've ever owned.
quickdraw is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 17:03   #1197
BHPian

This 2019 video depicts the improved BLSD (Traction Control?) performance of 4th gen Jimny vs the 3rd gen.

Apparently it works, even though being no LSD.

Fuldagap is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 17:52   #1198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jimny is strictly a 4 seater
5 will be a squeeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
This 2019 video depicts the improved BLSD (Traction Control?) performance of 4th gen Jimny vs the 3rd gen.

Apparently it works, even though being no LSD.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=CZ338UvMI8M
Yes,works very well
Brake locking differential has been provided both in the front and rear for the Jimny.

Last edited by ecosport rules : 1st July 2023 at 17:53.
Old 1st July 2023, 20:14   #1199
Senior - BHPian

Been collecting some accessories over the past 6 months having booked one on Jan 12th. I feel its the interiors that need some help to make it easier to live with for an otherwise very capable vehicle in its stock form.
Maruti Jimny Review-accessories.jpg

Nexa mugs and Jimny steel vacuum flask! I got this today.
Maruti Jimny Review-mugs_flask.jpg

Last edited by Sankar : 1st July 2023 at 20:20.
Sankar is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 20:23   #1200
Team-BHP Support

Nexa mugs are of very basic category, I think you should get as gift at time of delivery. We got a set.

Can you share link of other parts, like the drink holder?
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks