Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2023, 11:31   #436
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

When you want something, you want something.

So questions to be asked:

- Do I want a compact SUV with 4-wheel drive out of the box as standard?
YES

- Do I mind the lack of finesse in the In car entertainment setup?
NO. I don't want that ICE screen and connectivity at all. I'd get a mobile phone holder and charging cable and let my mobile do the rest

- Do I want a 4x4 which is happiest doing 80 - 90 kmph all day on the highway but maybe not more?
YES

- Is road presence more important to me than maneuverability in soul sucking city traffic?
NO

- Is back seat comfort and luggage space important?
YES

- Does the small luggage space bother me?
YES. But I'm sure I can get a luggage carrier to sort out the issue

So the Jimny satisfies me with it's answers to my questions. I'd go get it if I wanted to for sure. Sure the pricing is stiff. But then I get a car that satisfies all my needs. And this will be a car I use at least for the next 10 years. So I'll make my purchase work out.
Indraneel Bhat is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 11:47   #437
Senior - BHPian

The endless game has commenced
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img20230608wa0067.jpg  

Bibendum90949 is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 11:53   #438
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Thar is significantly bigger, has FAR superior engines and transmissions and significantly more sophisticated suspensions. We are talking about a decades old and basic 1.5 NA petrol with an archaic 4 speed TC vs a modern 2 liter direct injection turbo petrol with 50% more power and 100% more torque (a simple remap away from its full 200bhp spec) and a proper 6 speed automatic. Then there are the two proven diesel options, both extremely competent. Suspensions - a solid axle vs a fully independent front. Brake locking diffs vs a physical MLD. There is no comparison whatsoever. The overall package from Mahindra is simply of a higher order. Add to it the street cred. Jimny is diminutive, about the size of WagonR or Ignis, while Thar is THAR. Even things like those 18 inch alloys and fat tires on the Thar, they cost. An aftermarket upgrade for just that will easily cost 1-1.5L straightaway.
THAR is a cheaper knockoff of Wrangler, no two ways about it.

THAR has poor space management at the best a 2 seater, the external size does not matter when internally it is smaller than a Jimny with a smaller boot as well, which means THAR is smaller than WagonR inside, true right?

Note from Support: The whole 'Thar is a copycat Jeep' thing has been done to death already. Let's stick to discussing the products in question, civilly please. Thank you!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th June 2023 at 10:10.
tarmacnaut is offline   (15) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 8th June 2023, 11:56   #439
BHPian

No matter how well a car is priced or equipped, there will always be a few naysayers. Likewise, there will be yeasayers too for optimistically priced or relatively under-equipped cars.

Now, coming to the Jimny, I don't think anyone expected it to be a INR sub-10 lakh SUV. But, let's be honest, the majority on the forum and outside believe it is overpriced. A starting price of INR 9.5 to 10 lakh (ex-showroom) would have been more appropriate IMO. And if people think Maruti is targeting only a niche market and will be happy selling 2-3k units a month or even fewer, Maruti could have easily launched the 3-door version long ago. The 3-door version is well and truly a niche product and could have been priced accordingly. After spending so much time and money on developing the 5-door version, I am sure Maruti is aiming for decent volume, if not Brezza-like sales figures.

Even though the Thar and Jimny are incomparable, the comparison is inevitable given the kind of vehicles they are. The Jimny is the cheapest petrol 4x4 SUV on sale today, undercutting the Thar by about INR 1.5 lakhs. However, for folks just looking for a lifestyle vehicle with limited off-roading use, there is the Thar RWD at a lower price point, it even offers a diesel option! Not every Thar owner is an enthusiast or a hardcore off-roader, and it would be no different in the case of Jimny buyers too.

Street cred and butch looks may be perceptible factors, and some may not give a damn about them. But when talking about lifestyle / niche products, aren't these influencing factors for many, if not for everyone? Well, these are just my opinions. Please feel free to disagree.

Not all top-selling cars in their respective price segments are well-priced, and not all sales duds are poorly / optimistically priced. Ultimately, consumers choose what suits them best. Sales figures in the months ahead will reveal the true Jimny story. If Maruti is happy with whatever sales they manage, and if the Jimny owners are happy with their purchase, who are we to whine about!?

Last edited by Emvi : 8th June 2023 at 12:18. Reason: Price range updated
Emvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 12:13   #440
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
I am not ashamed to state that I am reconsidering my decision to cancel the Jimny booking.
=====
I am tilting towards continuing with my booking and take the car whenever it is allotted to me. I have booked a Granite Grey ZETA AT.
What is your intended use, if it is short trips in city, and use in hills or broken terrain it will work perfectly well. If you are ok with the price.

Only if you plan to do lot of highway runs I would urge you to take a long and fast drive to determine if it is your style.

I have grown up with CJ's and owned myself a Gypsy 1000, CJ3B, Gypsy 1300, Thar and though they are no way in comparison to a Jimny, but all of them have certain issues once you hit the highway. And apart from the sound insulation and better suspension (which hardly matter on most highways) are very glaring issues to live with daily. Trust me on that, no matter how enthu or fan boyish you are, it will soon hit you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
It seems the Jimny has become a victim of it's own pre-launch hype.

Attachment 2461213
I disagree to Gypsy gone under, Jimny has just revived the market for preowned Gypsy and it is again going to become costly to get one. The amount of stuff people will come back to swap with would be a very interesting part to watch out for

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Another view is that, those who waited for Jimny from childhood might very well get it at few lakhs higher than what they originally expected, instead of letting their long cherished dream go down the drain.
I am one and sorry to say this one really killed it for me, now I will only dream of a preowned one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murlidar View Post
May is the keyword.
Product is coming, there is no May in that. Originally speculated to 2023 but realistically expect it to be unveiled in Auto Expo and released in 2024. Price is going to be a guessing game as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Even if the Jimny was priced lower by a lakh or more, I do not think it would have drawn more people towards it than the Thar. People who want to use it primarily in the city/short highway trips may come away disappointed with the ride quality (going by the reports) and that it is a 4 seater.
If OTR prices were capped below 10 for base and 15 for top end Auto, they would have had a great run of production for a year or two at the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaetonw12 View Post
but the biggest competition would be a used thar which is flooding the market.
I still think it's a brilliant offroader
Used Thar's are not cheap for now, so don't bank on it much. Just saying.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 12:24   #441
BHPian

Thanks to the aggressive pricing, people who were looking forward to get a Zeta AT as a second car will Switch to thar RWD without having a second thought.

If atleast the engine were a turbo petrol engine or in any way could have matched thar / Gurkha this price would have been justified. Myself was thinking of getting a second car and Jimny was an option. But not anymore. Will look forward to 2nd hand thar.

Maruti just missed the trick by being a bit greedy or let's just say over ambitious. Looking at the price, I think most of the bookings will get cancelled. Hope there's discounts etc but still it won't possibly justify the price.
Old 8th June 2023, 12:29   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

You have waited, wait for few more months and you can get a proper 4 door butch Thar, even if it is priced more is worth it as a proper 4 door car. Jimny is a fun recreational vehicle.

The 4 door Thar will neither be smallish (coz the 2 door already isn't) nor cheaper than Jimny. And it'll still be 2WD (since am looking for the cheapest Petrol AT).

I somehow feel the Jimny will give me the same feels as my Jazz in 2010 - appeared to be so expensive for the car we got, but no issues in the 8 years it stayed with us, not even a bulb fuse, ultra-cheap maintenance, a vehicle that was so against the norms (hatch that costs > all sedans, the City was just 40k more, Verna base was lower), but it was simply perfect for our use case.

In any case, will do a TD of both and decide.

cheers
lazy
lazy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 12:31   #443

I dont think this skeleton with 4x4 differential should cosrt so much .
FerrariFan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 12:36   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Thar is significantly bigger, has FAR superior engines and transmissions and significantly more sophisticated suspensions. We are talking about a decades old and basic 1.5 NA petrol with an archaic 4 speed TC vs a modern 2 liter direct injection turbo petrol with 50% more power and 100% more torque (a simple remap away from its full 200bhp spec) and a proper 6 speed automatic. Then there are the two proven diesel options, both extremely competent. Suspensions - a solid axle vs a fully independent front. Brake locking diffs vs a physical MLD. There is no comparison whatsoever. The overall package from Mahindra is simply of a higher order. Add to it the street cred. Jimny is diminutive, about the size of WagonR or Ignis, while Thar is THAR. Even things like those 18 inch alloys and fat tires on the Thar, they cost. An aftermarket upgrade for just that will easily cost 1-1.5L straightaway.
Objectively speaking Thar is a much more sophisticated product overall but if reliability and off road ability is the primary use case I would argue Jimny is a better product overall.

For e.g. would I trust a relatively straightforward 1.5 liter petrol engine or a 2.0 liter direct injected turbo petrol when refueling at a rural fuel station?
A solid axle is much better for off roading than an independent front suspension for articulation. Thar is a much heavier vehicle as well and weight is a negative for an off roader. Jimny doesnt really need fat tyres because it is a much lighter vehicle overall. Jimny is priced much better in India than anywhere else inspite of having 5 door instead of 3.

If I was in the market for such a car, I would go for Jimny eyes closed because I would use it for its intended purpose.
extreme_torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 12:37   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
I happen to be straddling that fence at the moment.
The more time you spend on the fence, the more likely you are to take the plunge. I am certain many of those who have held on to their bookings, will come to terms with the 'new' pricing and likely go ahead with the deal.

Some clear minded people have already cancelled their booking, others like me are still clinging on to it, finding reasons to justify the price, and hoping that a test drive will convince us to go ahead and buy one.
Only time will tell !!
mpant05 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 12:37   #446
BHPian

Considering the price of the new Jimny, I think my 2021 Dec S-Cross Zeta MT was a steal. But then again if we go back to the drawing board, the car prices has shot off the roof lately. A regular hatch costs 11-12lakh on road in Bangalore, sub 4m crossovers, pseudo SUVs are priced at 13-23lakh on road (Sonet, Creta, Seltos, Venue, etc) It is just that, when it is a Maruti product, we subconsciously desire for a sub 10lakh price, no matter what the product is, we are kinda wired that way, aren’t we! I guess, folks who really want Jimny would prefer the decently specced Zeta AT variant. The Jimny has few aces up it’s sleeve like the ancient, archaic but brutally efficient and damn reliable 1.5 mill, a proper 4*4, 4 doors and better space management unlike the contemporary competition, better service quality from Nexa, a true blue off-roading capability, better manoeuvrability in urban environment as well as in tight trails, better fuel efficiency, a unique style statement. I would not say it is sensibly priced but I would say it could justify the price over long term of ownership.

Jimny may not be the one you want but can be the only one you will ever need. A perfect one car garage for urban nuclear families who can afford.
Legal_Eagle is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 12:45   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpant05 View Post
others like me are still clinging on to it, finding reasons to justify the price, and hoping that a test drive will convince us to go ahead and buy one.
Only time will tell !!
A test drive will convert the non-believers. It is THAT good as a dual purpose vehicle.

Doesn't mean I am happy about the price but is a matter of coming to terms with modern day economics. Everything costs more and there are always enough people with money to spare.

Value seekers have been left for dead.
gsferrari is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 13:00   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
.............I ll still say the Jimny will give hill and mountain users a lot of bang for the buck because of its capability, narrowness and small footprint but those users will have to be pretty well off folks.........
I would have thought that those users, viz living in the hills and mountains, would have been the target market for the Jimny. But not all of them are so well off to pay these prices. So Maruti appears to be targeting the well of consumers only. Sad!!!
Zezé is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 13:04   #449
BHPian

If one doesn't really want a 4WD (~90%+ don't really need), they can go for 2WD Thar with more fuel effecient & torquey diesel - which, most importantly will still cost less than a petrol Jimny that has lower power & abysmal torque figures for a 4WD SUV!

Expect MS to launch 2WD Jimny by festival season. Mahindra already has a big order backlog for Thar - so MS is taking advantage of this period. In a few months, they won't have this luxury & will have to launch a 2WD version for better sales. As it is, current pricing doesn't leave much scope for good sales numbers (barring the initial spike in the first couple of months).
Old 8th June 2023, 13:08   #450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
The endless game has commenced
woah nice, is that the Titanium edition and where did you order this from?

Most Viewed