Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2023, 18:09   #586
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

I got a chance to check one in person a while back, and as I mentioned before, it will be a big miss-calculation by Maruti. The showroom was packed, and surprisingly, no one was checking Jimmy. This was at Pasco- Nexa Gurgaon on Sunday evening. Most customers were couples or families; the hottest car seemed to be Grand Vitara. Or maybe all of them were busy taking deliveries of their cars

I sat in the Jimmy for a while and immediately got connected as a better Gypsy. But, the one important missing feature - Seat height adjustment can be a big deal breaker for someone who is used to driving higher vehicles or prefers to sit a little high. Despite the low seat, the bonnet's visibility is pretty good, but this is one feature that will be missed most. I won't be surprised if Maruti adds this quickly as a manual adjustment.

As others have mentioned, it's a tiny vehicle and will get lost in other traffic, unlike Thar. I am not cancelling the car but will wait until this seat adjustment thing is sorted, and I can test drive.
Turbanator is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 20:05   #587
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have videos or photos of the Grey colourway?
gsferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 20:14   #588
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Does anyone have videos or photos of the Grey colourway?
I saw this video online and rejected grey:

Reason: the grill and the colour don't stand out. The colours where the grill stands out as well as cladding seem to look better.

the kinetic yellow, red and white are probably the only stand out colours.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 11th June 2023 at 20:28.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 20:31   #589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Reason: the grill and the colour don't stand out. The colours where the grill stands out as well as cladding seem to look better.
Thanks for the link. Yes I agree it is too dark a shade of grey. I would have preferred a more silver grey to this.
gsferrari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 21:14   #590
Distinguished - BHPian

Any idea if each & every Nexa showroom will have a display and demo Jimny shortly?
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 23:37   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Thanks for the link. Yes I agree it is too dark a shade of grey. I would have preferred a more silver grey to this.
Agree, even I booked the grey hoping it will be similar to the silky grey available in 3 door jimny, which is much lighter. If I am going to pick a dark colour, then probably it will be blue black. I already have a blue Gypsy, so won't go for the nexa blue.
Though, off late, I am tilting more towards kinetic yellow or red. But first the test ride!
mpant05 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 01:17   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanskar View Post
Finally got to TD the Jimny.
I see your location as Noida. If you took TD in Noida/Delhi could you share which dealer is providing TD of Jimny? I visited both Vipul and Rohan in Noida but both only had Jimny for display (those too were meant for delivery apparently) and not for a test drive.
sandeeprawat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 03:13   #593
BHPian

I'm glad Maruti Suzuki has made available the pdf version of the owner's manual of the 2023 Jinmny on their website.

It's a 492-page long document that many of the potential owners may not have the patience to go through.

Interesting nugget: Seems like the hubs on the front drive shafts are locked pneumatically which is a departure from the manual locking hubs of the Gypsy (before these were permanently locked on the later variant).

Some important points for the folks who have never had the chance to drive a proper 4X4 in the past:
  • Never operate your vehicle in “4H” or “4L” on dry pavement and, as much as possible, avoid using “4H” or “4L” on wet pavement, as this may seriously damage the drive train.
  • Position the front wheels straight ahead and shift the transfer lever from “2H” to “4H” or “4H” to “2H”.
  • Do not operate the transfer lever while driving.
  • Do not operate the transfer lever while making a left or right turn. Your vehicle may move to the unexpected direction. 4-wheel drive system may be also damaged.

As you go through these pages and the rest of the owner's manual, you will notice that both the composition and grammar of the text leave a lot to be desired and sometimes that ends up confusing you as to what exactly is being implied.

I wish someone had proofread the manual before it was released.

Pages referring to the low-range transfer case usage:

Maruti Jimny Review-1.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-2.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-3.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-4.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-5.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-6.jpg

Source: https://www.nexaexperience.com/car-manual
Vikram Arya is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 07:02   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeeprawat View Post
I see your location as Noida. If you took TD in Noida/Delhi could you share which dealer is providing TD of Jimny? I visited both Vipul and Rohan in Noida but both only had Jimny for display (those too were meant for delivery apparently) and not for a test drive.
Magic Nexa Sector-137. His vehicle is yet to be registered at the RTO and insured so not offering test drives to anyone who walks in. Since I have booked through him he offered me one. He said it will take another week or so to officially offer test drives. You may try your luck though, if you come across as a serious buyer I’m sure he will let you do the TD.
Zanskar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 07:27   #595
th2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
I'm glad Maruti Suzuki has made available the pdf version of the owner's manual of the 2023 Jinmny on their website.

Some important points for the folks who have never had the chance to drive a proper 4X4 in the past:

Thanks for this! Looks like the 2H-4H-4L change process is much more involved in the Jimny. Suddenly (at the risk of offending true-blue offroaders), I am much more appreciative of the AWD system in my Forester. Press the clutch, engage low gear and you are good to go. We are considering the Jimny as the access "road" to our farm gets pretty washed out during the monsoons. Also, its small size helps. Looking forward to the TD to better understand this.
th2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 08:52   #596
Senior - BHPian

There's been so much talk on turning radius on this thread. And see what is Maruti highlighting in their front full page ad

Maruti Jimny Review-img20230612wa0014.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
As you go through these pages and the rest of the owner's manual, you will notice that both the composition and grammar of the text leave a lot to be desired and sometimes that ends up confusing you as to what exactly is being implied.I wish someone had proofread the manual before it was released.
The first page attached itself has a grave error. They've mentioned less than 100 kmph for shifting instead of 10 kmph. Hope no one attempts that after reading the manual. Forget proof reading, no one seems to have vetted the transcript.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-1-2.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 12th June 2023 at 09:06.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 09:32   #597
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
The first page attached itself has a grave error. They've mentioned less than 100 kmph for shifting instead of 10 kmph. Hope no one attempts that after reading the manual. Forget proof reading, no one seems to have vetted the transcript.
A synchro between 2H & 4H means shift-on-fly transfer case, perhaps that word is not used due to some copyright issues. Up to 100 kmph should be fine.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 09:45   #598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
This is not a typo. Though 100kmph might be just pushing it, when shifting on the fly from 2H to 4H; I would say till 80kmph would be a saner limit.
HappyWheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 09:50   #599
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
This is not a typo. Though 100kmph might be just pushing it, when shifting on the fly from 2H to 4H; I would say till 80kmph would be a saner limit.
This is specific to Gypsy.

I have been reliably informed by different well known rally drivers that they usually drive throughout loose patches or in the wet, in 4H.

And in dry dusty conditions in case they are driving in 2H they shift on the fly to 4H when travelling at 80kmph or more, especially when faced with a long curve or sharp turn on loose surfaces, so as to gain max traction.

But then, it is also true that these Rally Gypsys gearboxes and transfer cases tend to last no more than one or perhaps 2 rally seasons.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 10:09   #600
BHPian

Does a pull/flap type door handle with a sensor button above it and key hole below it makes any sense in this world?
Why would someone press a button above and then come down to pull the door?
Crazy for this so called key less entry ?
Toyota had imbibed best key less entries in their cars without any visible buttons. Their door handles has the sensors and works a like a charm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks