Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2023, 22:22   #511
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Just sold my Thar Crde 2015. 86K on odo and half of India covered on it. I live in the hills and MLD actuation was a daily affair. Was first to book Jimny in the state. This morning after the price announcement I cancelled the booking. Not expensive but not VFM. It may be a gem in offroading probably better than a stock Thar with its Solid Axles and low weight but theres more than that meets the eye.
If looking for a pure offroader then also it is probably wiser to keep an old Crde or a Gypsy for the simplicity. If its a primary drive the poor on road manners will make one think twice. I was expecting a cheaper price point especially after the mediocre interiors and limited space it has on offer.
Something just doesn’t click with the pricing. Is it another S Cross 1.6 in the making?
Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 22:36   #512

SCORPIO N Z4 4WD looks so value for money all of a sudden. All thanks to Jimny pricing.
indiankesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 23:53   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
A bit high priced for an augmentation which Indian's measure by size.

Old Question:
When the Gypsy was properly available how much was it priced (over/above) vs.that era's Maruti's stable offerings? Was it a niche product, or a general offering, but tuned to a different crowd.

Maybe: we all will be collecting Jimny's 15 years from now. And it becomes a cult like the Gypsy.
The gypsy was around 8.-9 lakhs on-road in Noida right before it was discontinued in 2019. Given that, Jimny's price of 12.74 lakhs ex-showroom for the bas variant seems more palatable compared to the barebones gypsy.
Akash_1806 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 23:54   #514
BHPian

Any idea about the possibility of TD in Mumbai /Thane belt and what are the current orders (post cancellations or new bookings if any) to understand the waiting periods across the variants?
Old 9th June 2023, 00:10   #515
BANNED

I didn't even bother to check the prices as I knew Maruti would price it ridiculously high. and they did just that.

Jimny sells well in Europe and Australia because they don't sell Thar there. And Wrangler is priced way high up there. But we in India have Thar. If I were to pick one I would pick Thar in a heartbeat. I don't care if Jimny is a wee bit better in hills because on every other front ,Thar will beat Jimny fair and square. I have seen 2.0 litre turbo petrol Thar ATs accelerating and flying almost as fast as D segment sedans. I don't know how to compare with puny 1.5 L 103 HP 134 NM engine with a stone-age 4-speed AT.

It may still sell well for a few months owing to novelty. Thereafter, it will mostly be bought by diehard Jimny fans.

Last edited by pgsagar : 9th June 2023 at 00:14. Reason: grammatical edit
Old 9th June 2023, 03:12   #516
BHPian

OT. With some resemblance.

Back in the day, the Getz was launched as a luxury hatchback. Pretty heavily priced compared to the hatchbacks.

Good car build and decent specs for someone who knows automobiles. But super pricey for the Aam Janata. Common Man.

And then Honda Jazz launched. You know where I’m getting at. Good car, but insanely priced (for its own reasons).

The Jimmy is a case of Jazz. And the Thar is more than a Getz could deliver emotionally in back in the day.

Hear me out.

It may not be “oh so awesome quality”.

But, what goes for Jimmy is that, it does “oh so awesome in what’s it made for - Mountain Goat”. It can go places that even the Armed Forces swear by. It’s the ultimate vehicle to have particularly in the terrain Mountains.

And then, there is Thar. It does almost all of it, albeit size, and then some. With just a some more of Vitamin M.

Getz vs Jazz. For the folks of early 2010s, when these two competing. It’s a comparison one would understand, and one who think they can comprehend.
Crazy_cars_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 04:34   #517
Senior - BHPian

GSFerrari’s YouTube review on the pricing hits it head on.
In The case of the Jimny, Dump the fluff. Go for the substance.
shankar.balan is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 05:56   #518
BHPian

Pricing is on expected lines.

To be honest, if it can score 5 stars in NCAP, I'd say the pricing is even justified. The 3D Jimny scored 3 in Euro NCAP.

Like I said before the price reveal, Suzuki simply needs to launch a hacked Jimny as the Gypsy, to undercut the RWD Thar. But until the Army gets on the wagon, Jimny is just an export car.

This would be the right time for Force to get a bit aggressive with the Gurkha. But there's no imagination left in that stable.
Old 9th June 2023, 06:59   #519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I think it will take sales from Thar and all compact SUVs - Nexon, Brezza, Venue etc and will have a production backlog.
Thar understandable. But you think that the Nexon/Brezza/Venue buyer will pick the Jimny over these models? Just out of curiosity have you owned or extensively used a sold axle vehicle without independent front or rear suspension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by murlidar View Post
May is the keyword.
Mahindra has become very aggressive with it's product portfolio and am sure they will launch it. But,I would be scared to buy it in the first year of launch as the kinda testing that the Japanese do is no where near what Mahindra or Tata does. Even if I was considering the 5-Door Thar as an option, I wouldn't dare to get it before 2026.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Here is the numbers expected in terms of monthly volumes in the pricing as announced.
Expecting 3K to 5K domestic numbers is fairly far fetched in my opinion. If this was the demand, the bookings won't dry up at 30K. Cars which sell 3K to 5K numbers per month will have much higher initial demand. In Jimny's case the price announcement was a big damper, and I am betting on 50% cancellations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
It may still sell well for a few months owing to novelty. Thereafter, it will mostly be bought by diehard Jimny fans.
This is exactly my view as well. After the initial hype and pent up demand is met, they will sell a few 100s in India. But, of course the plant will be kept busy with export orders. They may also offer a bare bones version for the armed forces and para military without all the fancy gizmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiankesh View Post
SCORPIO N Z4 4WD looks so value for money all of a sudden. All thanks to Jimny pricing.
Just curious what the price of the Z4 4WD on road is. The advantage with the Jimny over the Z4 is the robust underpinnings and the compact nature. Both will serve different segments. But for some one who is not into hardcore offroading and just wants to go off the beaten path and want to have only one vehicle, the Z4 will make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1 View Post
To be honest, if it can score 5 stars in NCAP, I'd say the pricing is even justified. The 3D Jimny scored 3 in Euro NCAP.
The Thar met Global NCAP which apparently is for developing markets and hence much less stringent than the Euro NCAP. If Jimny scored 3 on the Euro one, I think it will fare better on the Global one.
4x4addict is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 07:16   #520
BHPian

The Alpha MT variant is around 16 lakhs on-road in my state. I'm so tempted to book it right now, even though I don't need another car since we're a single driver household. Will see if I can scrounge together a large enough down payment to make the EMIs tolerable.
Old 9th June 2023, 08:14   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Thar understandable. But you think that the Nexon/Brezza/Venue buyer will pick the Jimny over these models? Just out of curiosity have you owned or extensively used a sold axle vehicle without independent front or rear suspension?
I haven't. My point is people disregard such things when the product looks great or represents something aspirational. I have driven Thar quite extensively and its suspension isn't great either. But 5000 people chose Thar in April 2023. A three door car that is essentially a two seater with unusable boot. Not all of them are recreational offroaders who use Thar as a toy. Many of them use it as a daily driver. That is the power of something that represents an aspiration. I know couple of friends who started their car hunt with Nexon and then settled on Thar because they got smitten by it.

Now there is another segment with the same aspirations but can't think of a Thar becuase of its 3 door nature, and unusable boot. That segment was settling for Brezza/Creta/Venue etc all these while. They have a choice now. Jimny can be the only car in a small 3 person family. It is almost as usable as a WagonR. The Thar is very tough sell in that situation. Still I know many who choose Thar for that use case. Not launching the 3 door car and going for the 5 door one was Suzuki's master stroke. If it was the 3 door Jimny, I would have agreed with your estimate. But it being 5 door, opens up the target customer base.

My Fortuner has one of the worst suspensions I have encountered in a car especially when used as single person run daily driver. It rides worse than my Xcent or my friend's Nexon. Everything else in its segment has way better ride quality. But I can see a Fortuner every 10 seconds in my place. I have forgotten the last time I saw a Tiguan, Kodiaq, Meridian or even a Tucson. I feel we overestimate the impact of such factors in a car purchase decision. When a product represents something aspirational or looks good, people don't mind these things. Works the same way in case of human partnerships too

Last edited by padmrajravi : 9th June 2023 at 08:24.
padmrajravi is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 09:01   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

Lovely car you got there, is it 2 or 2.4 Liter. I too have one 2.4 AT but capability Jimny will be 40% more pure Offroad. Trails and soft road GV can still whoop ass and in superior comfort.
Mine is a 2L AT. Last year I got the 15 years renewal done and then splurged on maintenance to ensure it lasts another 5 years atleast.
The latest looks of the same is reported here:-
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...-riverside.jpg
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 09:03   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Do forgive my ignorance but what is SWMBO ?
"She who must be obeyed" ie. Big Boss
sridhar-v is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 09:03   #524
BANNED

Contrary to the popular opinion on this thread, I believe that the MS Jimny is not overpriced. Instead, it occupies a niche segment and is competitively priced to enter the Thar’s market space.

However, where the Jimny falls short in terms of value for money is in its engine and transmission options. The 1.5L K15B engine is mediocre and is paired with an outdated 4-speed torque converter unit. In 2023, a 4-speed transmission belongs in a history museum, not in a flagship car.

In comparison, the Thar LX Hard Top AT 4x4 offers a superior engine with 150 HP and diesel territory torque of 320 Nm for an additional INR 1.45L. It also comes with a modern 6-speed torque converter unit. Compare this to the abysmal 103 HP and 130 Nm of the Jimny and it falls flat on its face.

If I were in the market for a lifestyle-focused UV, I would find it difficult to justify choosing the Jimny over the Thar based on their prices. However, it’s important to note that Maruti Suzuki has a better understanding of the market than I do. I’ll probably see plenty of Jimnys on the road soon and will scoff every time I remember how much their owners paid.
nathanjdias is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 09:14   #525
BHPian

Seeing all the disdain for the Jimny, I’m reminded that my dad and uncle used to have a Tata Sierra and a Gypsy in the house when I was a 90s kid who had just learned to drive. I used to think the Sierra was vastly superior - the suspension, the style, the “road presence”. Subsequently learnt to enjoy corners in our Corsa and my own Punto, both cars with hydraulic steering and mild, progressive understeer. Much later I discovered that the old Gypsy I had overlooked might be the most characterful and fun toy of them all. And it’s still around today when the other cars have been forgotten.

To the doubters, I’m not surprised at the lack of appreciation for the “puny” and slow Jimny, but do take a test drive, try and have some fun with it, appreciate it for what it is - an iconic light off roader that hews closer to the carefree spirit of the original Willys jeeps than the Wrangler or Thar. And doubles up as a small but usable overlanding SUV with five doors, a boot, comfortable ride and decent crash safety.
Vikram9193 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks