Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2023, 14:29   #466
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

I have a slightly contra view. Compared to the European Market the LWB Jimny in India is priced quite aggressively. Despite the fact that local manufacturing is a biggg plus w.r.t. keeping costs low, the pricing is still okay when you compare it with the commercial version of the SWB Jimny sold in the UK with just 2 front seats, no infotainment system, no reversing cam, steel wheels and a price starting at an equivalent of 19Lacs.
satan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 14:36   #467
BHPian

Here is the Delhi on road price
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img20230608wa007201.jpeg  

BunnyPunia is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 14:44   #468
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
A few bits from an old(ish??) man with a nice badroader in the garage.
1. Jimny is ergonomically much better sorted
The bare bones 4 spd AT box on the GV did its job well in offroading.
I agree with all that you said.

Do forgive my ignorance but what is SWMBO ?
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 14:49   #469
BHPian

I've always wanted a simple no nonsense 4x4 with family practicality. Thus had booked the Scorpio N. However, when they announced the 5D Jimny, I had pondered whether I should have gone for it instead. I'm in a dilemma no more and shall enjoy my Scorpio N for years to come ❤️
sand-dune96 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 14:53   #470
BHPian

I've been reading all the posts here from yesterday, ever since the pricing was announced. I own a Thar Petrol AT and have no reason to look at buying the Jimny, but the hype over this vehicle made me follow the comments.

In my opinion as a person with neutral opinion here, I believe:
  • Jimny enthusiasts have waited for 5 years now. Heck, some have been looking for longer, but living with the old iconic Gypsy because nothing else would do for them.
  • Everybody knew it would come with a puny engine with a gearbox that powered the cars in Flintstones.
  • It is narrow, it has no real road presence and it does not do what a Fortuner or even a Thar does.
  • It is not Brezza or Fronx. If you are out there to buy a comfortable city-riding SUV, you have choices within the MSIL family. Or you could even look at a Taigun.
  • Your better half will never understand why, a Jimny. You could use negative psychology and make her experience the Thar first to make things easier, but your family will almost never understand why a Jimny over a Fronx.

What I do not understand is, using one of the above excuses and cancelling the Jimny saying it is expensive. All the rumors of MSIL pricing it below the Thar, were pure rumors. People made up their own stories, circulated it over chats and social media, but MSIL never confirmed any of this. They have been very clear that this is a niche, premium product and listed it in Nexa as well. Who is at fault here? Why are we all blaming MSIL? They have made their product, priced it at a point where they think it is viable for them and now we have a lot of animosity because someone on YouTube predicted it to be 1-2 lakh cheaper? Not fair on MSIL I believe.

If someone knew all this was coming their way but the car did not live up to the lower pricing expectation, it is up to them to decide one way or another. And in my opinion, they should just go ahead and buy it and not look at that 1-2 lakh delta because it is not a Maruti 800 that 5-10% price difference should upset the customer. I would be happy to see many Jimny enthusiasts here come forward and say, we know it is a little overpriced but I love it, so I am getting it!
HighRevving is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 14:56   #471
BHPian

I cancelled my booking today. Nexa said Refund will be issued in 4 days.
rkmountain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 15:04   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyjimmyaaja View Post
woah nice, is that the Titanium edition and where did you order this from?
AM Racing, Delhi have these, price is 70K approximately.

This is what I love about Jimny, because of its international presence you will get top class engineered aftermarket parts, and this list starts from bottle holders to GReddy Turbo kits to ARB Air Lockers. And it will compete only against Jeep Wrangler (currently sold) in our market for the purpose it is built.

I wish India had a better system to regulate the usage of these aftermarket parts. I don't know how much I'm going to pay as fines in KL for fitting a lift kit and wider tyres, well that's the only concern I have at this point.
GT145 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 15:18   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRevving View Post
[*]It is narrow, it has no real road presence and it does not do what a Fortuner or even a Thar does.
Can you explain what Jimny does not do what a Fortuner or Thar does? I thought with a lower body weight Jimny will be much more agile and better off road capabilities than Fortuner. In terrains like mud and sand even 4x4 Fortuner can get stuck like an elephant.

Last edited by poloman : 8th June 2023 at 15:19.
poloman is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 15:21   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
The endless game has commenced
Will these fit properly? As 5-door Jimny is longer and im sure these are made for international 3-door Jimny
Old 8th June 2023, 15:26   #475
BHPian

I plan to keep my booking, the price is high, but so are almost all car prices these days.

Any ideas when deliveries would start? I called my SA and he does not have any clue. For Fronx they were shipping cars to dealership as soon as price reveal, but don't seem to be doing the same for Jimny. I am hoping at least a few folks got some confirmed dates, especially the metro areas.

Last edited by astrodex : 8th June 2023 at 15:27. Reason: spell correction
astrodex is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 15:30   #476
Distinguished - BHPian

Easily 2 lakhs more than what it should've been. An aggressive pricing atleast as an introductory pricing should've been offered. Anyway...

I saw this link now and Jimny pricing looks good now
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-55-crore.html (Mercedes-Benz G 400d launched at Rs 2.55 crore)
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 15:30   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Will these fit properly? As 5-door Jimny is longer and im sure these are made for international 3-door Jimny
Yes, because they are axle back and not the full kits.
GT145 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 15:35   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Guess it does. Below are the contact details shared by a friend.

https://instagram.com/achintyamehrot...RlODBiNWFlZA==

095994 97155

N.B: I'm in no way associated with the firm. Mods, you may please delete if it's violation of forum rules.

Meanwhile, Jimny deliveries seem to have started.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img20230608wa0106.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img20230608wa0105.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 8th June 2023 at 15:37.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 15:38   #479
BHPian

A small video clip of Pearl Arctic White colour Jimny:

RijuC is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 15:41   #480
BHPian

Interesting perspective from a colleague who is from Uttarakhand (I stay in Delhi).
The person is tired of pseudo SUVs (flirted with the idea of Magnite last year, but dropped out of it as it is not really a hardy SUV).

One of his biggest concerns is Mahindra cars are too big and heavy for him. Driving such a monstrocity in city traffic or parking it at his village home is cumbersome. Given that his wife also takes a seat behind the wheels at times, the need for a female friendly SUV is their main desire.

Middle class families often cannot afford the luxury of multiple cars. They need a small all purpose vehicle that can take them to hills, be a no nonsense hardy boy, but also manageable in traffic.

The family has been gun-ho about the Jimny since it was launched. The pricing has set a frown, but to them a Thar is still not a consideration. Jimny offers a unique proposition which no other car has. The family is seriously considering stretching their budget for the Jimny.

On a differently related matter, he misses the Duster! it was a good value proposition for them.
amitayu is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks