Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2023, 12:49   #331

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Surgical strike move from Maruti Suzuki. This all of a sudden makes us realise Marutis new friend Toyota was totally normal and sane pricing Fortuner Legender at 55 lakhs and MG pricing comet close to 10 lakhs.

18 Lakhs for a lifestyle offroader may not be a welcome move for Indian Market i believe. Lot of westerners we know Trek and fish as their weekend leisure's and they need an offroader for fun. But for me , I go and buy groceries and sleep for weekend fun. The only reason I would buy Jimny is to own a capable offroader to use once in 2-3 months for offroading or wild trails. Only because just I love its boxy design.

But all of a sudden I realised i was preparing for a matchmaking with Aliya bhatt. Now back to normal and asking myself Dear Thar , " Who told you are not attractive " ?
Jaguarpaw is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 12:51   #332

After waiting for so long and hoping that MSIL will offer that magical introductory price of INR. 9.99 Lakh for base variant.. really disappointed with the pricing..!!
With such kind of pricing I guess lot many of those 30k bookings may get cancelled. Don't think Jimny will even come close to Thar sales figures. By the way just got a call from Nexa SA in Pune saying that Jimny will be available in showroom by 15th June & deliveries will start by 15th July.
rohan777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 12:56   #333
BHPian

There goes all the talk of the 4 door Jimny being priced competitively!. I suppose Maruti is banking on the Jimny’s cult status to drive volumes. Lets wait and see the despatch numbers in the coming months to see if this will translate to sales!. Im guessing there will be a fair amount of cancellations given the comments by members in this very forum!

17-18 lakhs OTR for the top spec seems a tad much considering the Thar’s features despite being a 2 door. Leaving aside pure enthusiasts most buyers will look at the value proposition for the product at a given price. Its not looking like a well priced product for what it offers.

For those who want the Jimny for its core competence i.e. Off-roading, and are not too fussy about bells and whistles, perhaps the Zeta Manual or even AT may make sense. I might check out one as well.
petrogeek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 13:00   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Agree the Jimny does not score points under the hood and safety remains a question mark at this stage. However, that 1.5 NA engine is a proven mill which will run forever with basic maintenance.
Mahindra’s mHawk is a most proven and legendary engine, be it the 2.2 in the 4x4 (shared with Scorpio, XUV700) or the 1.5 in the 4x2 (common with Bolero). Runs forever with basic maintenance, while providing better performance and lower running costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram9193 View Post
All of this plus suspension comfort! Evo magazine says the Jimny rides better than a Crysta. They compared side by side (pinch of salt and all that).
Maruti has specified unusually low tire pressure of 26psi. That + the fat sidewall cushions bumps nicely at crawling speeds. But takes a huge toll on both performance and fuel efficiency once pace picks up.

Tire pressure is perhaps the single most crucial point affecting low speed ride quality.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 13:01   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

For a one car garage, Jimny would be a good fit. But its hard to save money on this deal and be happy - no matter what, just look at them side by side.

Maruti Jimny Review-g-v-t.jpg
Kosfactor is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 13:05   #336
Senior - BHPian

I was actually tempted by the Jimny and was trying to build a convincing case in my head to replace the Alto with this. This pricing target was 12-15 on road and this has turned out to be the ex-showroom price !

It would have been worth it if it had a better engine and automatic gearbox, especially for the highway drives to reach your OTR destination or to do a cross country Ladakh, Spiti Valley drive.
Old 7th June 2023, 13:10   #337
Senior - BHPian

Having bought a Jeep Compass Diesel AT 4x4 just 7 months ago, i was secretly fantasising about replacing my wife’s i20 with the Jimny AT sometime this year or next! What a two car combo would it have been!
Not that we have any need for 4x4, but i really just liked the Jimny! But last week both my wife and 10 year old son said no to this idea and i was kind of hoping that i will convince them once the prices were out. But now it’s difficult to convince myself! I had hoped for a sub-15 lakh on-road price for the Zeta AT, but this is now 17 lakhs on road in Bangalore! Will just have to forget about the Jimny for now!

Suzuki has priced this really optimistically, i think at these prices the Jimny would be bought by people who want it for its functionality alone and also by people for its initial novelty.

If the numbers dont happen, I wouldn’t be surprised if Suzuki launched a 2WD in the near future,m!
motorworks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 13:25   #338
Senior - BHPian

This was expected
- The MSIL executives in various interviews spoken / indicated premium placement
- MSIL & TKM collaboration will have impact on standalone MSIL product line
- MSIL & Mahindra are the only two mass market players, new Duster is no where close to launch in India (the 4WD offering from Renault was brilliant car with reasonable off roading capabilities).A 5 door configuration from MSIL should bring in profits right from the entry level trim
- MSIL need cash for investments on upgradation of petrol ICE lineup to meet new emission norms, improvement in safety rating of their cars, and auto transmissions
- Toyota will push MSIL into the parallel fuel cell / green hydrogen game; MSIL too is operating on pure play petrol ICE engines. Sump investment is required to stay afloat. It is clear that not every second car in India is sold by MSIL; Hyundai-Kia, Tata and Mahindra have their independent price strategy and product lineup
MSIL would be equally comfortable with product cannibalization. An all-grip option is also available with K15C engine which also plays within the same band. You want potent off-roader, come to Jimny, you want a comfortable family car / crossover with off-roading capabilities, please buy Grand Vitara.
Jimny is an international product customized for Indian market, the investments need to come back at the earliest. Let me close it by saying “the business of business is business” – we all created the hype, we will have to now pay for it.

Last edited by i74js : 7th June 2023 at 13:40.
i74js is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 13:28   #339
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Another day, another damp squib launch. This is wayyy overpriced from Maruti.

15L ex showroom means 17.5L on road, which makes no sense whatsoever for Jimny. Thar with its far superior engines and transmissions costs similar money. Those looking for only the show/style part don’t even need to bother looking beyond the far cheaper RWD Thar, which will have lower running costs too. Mahindra will be rubbing their hands with glee.

This screams S Cross 1.6/Kizashi fiasco all over again
15L is the pricing for Alpha. Only a measly percent of Maruti buyers go for the top end ZXi or Alpha variants. Zeta is well loaded and we'll priced, even the AT variant.

It is way better specced than the 3 door, RWD THAR at similar price, which is way too costly now compared to its "introductory" launch pricing.

Last edited by tarmacnaut : 7th June 2023 at 13:34.
Old 7th June 2023, 13:34   #340
BHPian

Our old Gypsy also has recommended tyre pressure in the mid twenties. Doesn’t stop it from being back breaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Maruti has specified unusually low tire pressure of 26psi. That + the fat sidewall cushions bumps nicely at crawling speeds. But takes a huge toll on both performance and fuel efficiency once pace picks up.

Tire pressure is perhaps the single most crucial point affecting low speed ride quality.
Vikram9193 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 13:35   #341
BHPian

This is just ridiculous pricing from Maruti. I had booked the zeta manual hoping for a 9.99 introductory price, but I was ready to stretch for 10.49 or even 10.99. But 12.74 is just unacceptable for me. Already asked my SA to cancel the booking and his response was this.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-4a14b60eb7854e51adb4cd0d0226a6c9.jpeg  

Aakash118 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 13:39   #342
BHPian

The Alpha MT seems to be priced okay since it is fully kitted out but then again would have been nice if they priced it at least a lakh lesser ex-showroom.The AT variants are priced ridiculously high especially when considering the only difference it has is the old school 4 speed torque converter.
Seem’s like what the majority including myself thought would be the on-road price came out to be the ex-showroom price😅.But then again this is a niche product and MSIlL is not known for pricing these sort of products (e.g. Kizashi) competitively.
Old 7th June 2023, 13:43   #343
BHPian

It's time to report that all the endless links, opinions about offroad capability, five doors (as opposed to the Thar that she loves!), and reviews shared with my better half over months has come to naught. Also time to pour a cold beverage and maintain a very diplomatic silence in case any queries about Jimny pricing surface....
anilp is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 13:44   #344
BANNED

People are posting they expected 9.99 L or 10.5 lakh for Zeta variant Jimny is not reasonable. That is same as Baleno Alpha which is monocoque, front wheel drive with 1200 cc engine.

Jimny Zeta is a proper 4 wheel drive, body on frame SUV with 6 airbags and it has a 1500 cc engine. No wonder it costs 12 lakh. Expecting Zeta Jimny to cost same as Baleno is just ridiculous IMO.

Last edited by tarmacnaut : 7th June 2023 at 14:12.
tarmacnaut is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 13:54   #345
BHPian

For what it offers, I honestly think an ex-showroom price of 1 Lakh lesser on all variants would have been sweet for many and probably would have broken the phycological barrier. People would have got convinced and said, it is ok, just a little more than what i thought, once in a life time, etc., would have been happy !

Swami
swami69 is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks