Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2023, 11:55   #301
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

An added note:

Many thanks to MSIL for keeping our money for almost 6 months, providing zero updates, increasing our appetites, and then overpricing the product by far, thereby killing our appetites. If they care only about exports - then the local market be damned.

What an excellent marketing strategy - sure to build years of goodwill.
Clouseau is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 11:55   #302
Senior - BHPian

Can’t quote my previous post from 23rd May,2023 as the thread is closed so here’s a snapshot. Maruti was no way going to price this like their typical mass market offerings. As Mr.Srivastava mentioned repeatedly, its a ‘premium’ niche product.

Told you so

Maruti Jimny Review-img_1353.jpeg

Bangalore OTR prices for reference. Source : Carwale.com. Top end crossing 18L.
Maruti Jimny Review-img_1356.jpeg

Mahindra would be the happiest here. And now they can price the Thar 5 door even more obnoxiously

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
As said by you in your post, the thread didn't go silent but became even more active in another sense of the word

That just goes to show much everyone was anticipating a nice price only to be disappointed.

Will be interesting to see the waiting periods of the Jimny in the near future. That 4x4s are ready delivery currently.
Give it some time mate. It will go silent ‘after’ sometime. People need to express their disappointment first. Give it a few days.

Last edited by SoumenD : 7th June 2023 at 12:13.
SoumenD is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 11:56   #303
BHPian

Looking at the price at which Jimny is being launched, I would only say, Thanks MSIL and I will continue to hold my M&M stocks to my chest.
NomadSK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 12:01   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Can’t quote my previous post from 23rd May,2023 as the thread is closed so here’s a snapshot. Maruti was no way going to price this low. As Mr.Srivastava mentioned its a ‘premium’ niche product.

Told you so

Mahindra would be the happiest here. And now they can price the Thar 5 door even more obnoxiously
As said by you in your post, the thread didn't go silent but became even more active in another sense of the word

That just goes to show much everyone was anticipating a nice price only to be disappointed.

Will be interesting to see the waiting periods of the Jimny in the near future. Thar 4x4s are ready delivery currently.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th June 2023 at 17:13. Reason: A word
Dippy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 12:04   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
Effing ridiculous pricing for something so bare boned - cancelling my booking...

The Sonet iMT HTK + now looking bigger and brighter as a 2nd car option

Cheers!
+1 ; cancelled my booking. This pricing does not hold value for me, due to exact reasons given below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The idea to get this for me was lower price tag than Thar cause of smaller compact size and basic mechanicals like the K15B ancient engine, 4 speed prehistoric gearbox.

At this price point, I would rather spend 1.5 lakhs more and get Thar petrol 4x4 AT.

Sorry but this is a no go for me when it comes to price.
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 12:04   #306
BHPian

This guy cemented his place in our garage forever!

Maruti Jimny Review-img20210905wa0008__01.jpg
buzzy_boy is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 12:06   #307
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I expected premium-pricing, considering it's a body-on-frame vehicle, has 4x4, Nexa channel, is a style statement, Maruti made it a 5-door for India and a profit vehicle for Maruti. This is anyway not going to be a volume seller & those customers who really want it will be less price sensitive. It's a conscious business decision by Maruti.

In that sense, I am not at all surprised. Let's not forget that the Thar 4x4 variants are also very expensive for a 2-door Jeep. While the 4x2 Thars are value-for-money (especially the 1.5L diesel), the 4x4 Petrol AT costs 20-lakhs on the road in Mumbai! It's stiff pricing. That being said, the Thar blows the Jimny away in size, presence, safety rating, 150 BHP turbo-petrol motor, beautiful 6-speed AT etc.

From the practicality POV, the main disadvantage of the Thar is the 2-door body. The Jimny also has further advantages over the Thar = fuss-free Maruti ownership, it will be the more fuel efficient, smaller size has an advantage offroad (as does the lighter kerb weight), smaller size will be preferred by many city dwellers etc.

I accept the price for what is a niche, profit-driven 4x4. Don't have a problem with the price, as much as I do with the Jimny's disappointing power rating of 103 BHP / 134 Nm. These are like engine specs from 2004. If it had a sweet singing 1.5L turbo-petrol with a 6-speed AT under the hood, all would be good.

Last edited by GTO : 7th June 2023 at 12:22.
GTO is offline   (69) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 12:13   #308
BHPian

God help car buyers! The way the prices are moving now a days, cars might soon become a luxury product out of reach of many commoners. For reference, I got my XUV7OO D last year at less than the base price of Jimny. Although there can't be direct comparison between these cars, but I got bigger engine, additional space and larger road presence.

On a different note, how difficult is it for MS to follow something that Mahindra has aced at. Launch the cars at low prices and steadily increase the prices over the next few months. This way people who waited for months, get to buy the car at VFM prices and this creates a lot of positive momentum. India is a value conscious society and I am sure MS know this.

But will this car sell? India is a big country and beyond our small community of auto enthusiasts, there is a big group of buyers who will still go with MS for the reliability and peace of mind it offers.
StarVector is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 12:14   #309

After waiting for so long and hoping that MSIL will offer that magical introductory price of INR. 9.99 Lakh for base variant.. really disappointed with the pricing.. ��
With such kind of pricing I guess 20-25% of those 30k bookings may get cancelled. Don't think Jimny will even come close to Thar sales figures. By the way just got a call from Nexa SA in Pune saying that Jimny will be available in showroom by 15th June & deliveries will start by 15th July.
rohan777 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 12:15   #310
BHPian

Hey guys, this is a message for the one's who have the money and are on the fence to buy an AT version. I am here to say that I will buy your's down the line from now whenever you plan to sell. Please ping me before you list it for resale.

Unfortunately, I shall be cancelling my booking for now.
sammysossa is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 12:17   #311
BHPian

Is there a way to cancel the booking online? I checked the Nexa website but couldn't find a suitable link.
dileep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 12:18   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Prices are out.

Remember 4x4 is standard and even the Zeta model is sufficiently loaded
Fixed it.

Maruti Jimny Review-smartselect_20230607104949_twitter.jpg

I was looking at this to replace the i10 if it came under 15L for top-end, on road Delhi.
But anytime Maruti has had a differentiated product, they have tried to be ambitious. Kizashi, S-Cross 1.6. Both went in clearances or with heavy discounts soon after.

I'll wait for the price cut, or the used car market, or just go for the Gurkha next year.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 12:20   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andafunda View Post

It's not about affordability. It's the principle of paying the right money for a product.
This is what's going to bother most, like me, who can easily afford to pay the price but will feel stupid doing so. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

The Jimny became popular in the first place because it was considered an affordable, even cheap, off-roader. That appeal is now gone. I had booked it as a gift for my SO who apparently likes jeeps and has lately been driving my Thar more than her Skoda. But now am just gonna let her have my Thar since I hardly drive it anyway (she commutes; I don't).

However, this changes if she insists on having the Jimny. Then I will totally buy it because there's value created.
fjcruiser08 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 12:20   #314
BHPian

Quote:
An added note:

Many thanks to MSIL for keeping our money for almost 6 months, providing zero updates, increasing our appetites, and then overpricing the product by far, thereby killing our appetites. If they care only about exports - then the local market be damned.
The pricing is simply unfair and really poor value.

The hype and the 5-6 month dramatic wait for the Fronx and the Jimny finally coming to an end as damp squibs was just a waste of time for a lot of potential buyers including me.

Hope that there are some takers for these cars as it would be a shame if they were to go down history as failures.
clementj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 12:21   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Effing ridiculous pricing for something so bare boned - cancelling my booking...

The Sonet iMT HTK + now looking bigger and brighter as a 2nd car option

Cheers!
If you are seriously going for Sonet then opt for HTX imt. Difference on road will be 1 lac but worth the extra useful features it provides.

I knew this will be priced more judging by all reports coming from Maruti people but this is ridiculous pricing. Why will anyone in their sane mind go for this when you have Thar as a much superior product in all aspects for just a little more. Even Die hard Maruti fans won't be able to justify this pricing. I see a price correction coming in sometime when this won't sell as much as Maruti expected just like what happened with S-Cross.
harry10 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks