Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2023, 16:07   #196

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Your beautiful review is much appreciated! I was looking forward to this review. The 3 door Suzuki Jimny in Australia appealed to me greatly and I'm sad it's not available in India.
Old 2nd June 2023, 22:13   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
swap the AT models tcase on a MT Jimny to make it more capable crawler (Basically 2.64 ratio tcase on MT)? I am assuming this could be possible considering Jimny has divorced tcase so should be direct fit.
This thought did go through my mind earlier. If it is possible to fit the automatics' TC to the manual, you would gain a certain gear reduction for rock crawling, but take a look at the ratio for 4Hi.

4Hi will also see a proportionate reduction. So, in effect, you will have to do 100 kmph in 5th gear at maybe 3,500 or 4,000 rpm. I read a couple of posts back that 100kmph comes in at 3,000 rpm for the manual Jimny.

There is one other use case for this TC. You could fit bigger tyres than otherwise possible without losing torque...
...if the swap is as simple as it looks.

Cheers.
aravind422 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 00:24   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind422 View Post
This thought did go through my mind earlier. If it is possible to fit the automatics' TC to the manual, you would gain a certain gear reduction for rock crawling, but take a look at the ratio for 4Hi.

4Hi will also see a proportionate reduction. So, in effect, you will have to do 100 kmph in 5th gear at maybe 3,500 or 4,000 rpm. I read a couple of posts back that 100kmph comes in at 3,000 rpm for the manual Jimny.

There is one other use case for this TC. You could fit bigger tyres than otherwise possible without losing torque...
...if the swap is as simple as it looks.

Cheers.
I dont think one will do 100kmph on a 4H engaged. Amd there is no role of tcase when in 2wd mode. So shouldn't be much of a worry. Infact it should help also in 4H considering its petrol engine so should give higher torque or crawl at lower RPM if gearing low.

Hopefully someone tries that out.
Old 3rd June 2023, 02:59   #199
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
The AT is perfectly at home in Dehradun at least. We had no issues deiving around the hills, hairpins and winding roads either uphill or down.
Here is a nice website from Moldova which can offer enthusiasts many enhancement options.
https://offroad.md/en/brand/33-suzuki
Old 3rd June 2023, 10:00   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser123 View Post
Would this recommendation apply for newbie off-orders too?
If you are a new off-roader, better to go with AT as you can modulate tricky situations with AT better than MT. For Rock crawling etc, AT is more forgiving.

I was referring to general rural day to day usage through hilly and rural roads.

Quote:
So can we assume that we can swap the AT models tcase on a MT Jimny to make it more capable crawler (Basically 2.64 ratio tcase on MT)?
I don't think you need to transfer the whole transfer case. You should be able to change just the gearing. People used to install the crawler gears in the Gypsy. I assume the same can be done in the Jimny, but we won't know for sure unless one of us open it up.

Quote:
Also, do we have the differentials ratios for the Jimny?
Yes, the final drive for the AT is shorter than the MT and can be easily swapped. This is what I am planning to do. But keep in mind that the MT is already a very short gearbox and has no over drive. So if you install the AT diff gears, then your rpm will be higher on highway drives and FE will come down.

I think it is better to just swap the transfer case gears and let the crown/pinion remain as it is. In my case, I want to slighly upsize the tyres to 215/75/15 and my usage is predominantly in the hills. I don't plan to use the Jimny on highways or long distance, so i am planning to install the shorter crown/pinion gear from the AT diff.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 3rd June 2023 at 10:05.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 10:05   #201
BHPian

Quote:
I dont think one will do 100kmph on a 4H engaged. Amd there is no role of tcase when in 2wd mode.
You're right NOBODY will do 100 kmph in 4wd Hi (on tarmac atleast).

What I should have said is that retrofitting the AT's T-Case in the MT will cause the engine to spin somewhere between 3,500 to 4,000 RPM for a 100 kmph in 5th gear, "in 2WD".

By the way, I DID NOT do the maths, this RPM range is only an assumption.

In proper 4WD vehicles like the Jeeps, Jimnys and all, gear reduction inside the transfer case happens only when low range is engaged. There is no change of gear ratio between 2WD and 4WD-high.

The very misleadingly advertised privilege called "SHIFT ON THE FLY" is ample proof for this.

Cheers.

Last edited by aravind422 : 3rd June 2023 at 10:06.
aravind422 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 10:29   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Hello Vyasa!

Good to see a fellow KNOG here. Looks like we share the same interest in cars as well as bikes!
Loved the Jimny review Guru!
Yes cars and bikes remain to be my passion 😄
Currently modding a Vrs!
vyasachetan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 19:20   #203
BHPian

If a vehicle's success ( ScorpioN, Thar, Xuv 7oo ) and the number of pages of discussion in Team-Bhp has correlation of any sorts, Maruti should be very worried. The nail in the coffin could be the speculative pricing !
Sk8r is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 14:11   #204
BHPian

Some questions that come up instantly after the review and discussions.

The Jimny is 1200kgs, vs those much bigger cars from maruti, which weirdly weighs less. Not by much though, and the Jimny is said to be lightweight? How?

Also i saw in a couple of reviews, the Jimny is taking 20 odd secs to reach the ton. Is it the same case with Maruti’s other cars too with the 1.5? 20 secs to the ton is unacceptable in 2023.

Today i was on the highway, and i was literally thinking while driving it that how slow the throttle response will be of the Jimny in the real world? My current drive does climb to 120 like its nobody’s business.

Last edited by jackofsome : 4th June 2023 at 14:12.
Old 4th June 2023, 14:35   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofsome View Post
The Jimny is 1200kgs, vs those much bigger cars from maruti, which weirdly weighs less. Not by much though, and the Jimny is said to be lightweight? How?

Also i saw in a couple of reviews, the Jimny is taking 20 odd secs to reach the ton. Is it the same case with Maruti’s other cars too with the 1.5?
My replies to your queries:

1. I have a 2020 S-Cross 1.5 petrol. Its weight is 1170Kg so its quite close to the Jimny’s.

The reason why Jimny is considered light weight is not in context of other Maruti cars but its a parameter that is being compared to other off roaders/ 4x4/ SUVs such as Wrangler/ Bronco/ G-Wagon etc in the West and Thar/Gurkha/Bolero etc in India.

2. Regarding 0-100, a car with tall gearing will have quicker 0-100 whereas a car with shorter gearing will have better in gear acceleration (20-80 in third gear for example). Jimny takes 20 seconds to reach 100 because the tuning is done to ensure better performance in other situations. Its not meant for 0-100 dash.

Now to answer your specific query, other Maruti cars with 1.5 K15B engine do not take 20 seconds. I think they take around 13-14 seconds to do so. I havent checked so cant write exact figures. With the current fuel prices, I dont think many fellow owners would be testing this either.
PaddleShifter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 14:42   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
20 secs to the ton is unacceptable in 2023.

My current drive does climb to 120 like its nobody’s business.
All I can say is that the Jimny is not meant to do what you think it should do It is a purpose-built vehicle, to take you to yonder and beyond, not to scorch the tarmac and win drag races at signals. I guess reviews like these will be very useful in ensuring that there are no expectation mismatches when one eventually books a Jimny.
cool_dube is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 15:51   #207
RDS
BHPian

Quote:
Some questions that come up instantly after the review and discussions.

Also i saw in a couple of reviews, the Jimny is taking 20 odd secs to reach the ton. Is it the same case with Maruti’s other cars too with the 1.5? 20 secs to the ton is unacceptable in 2023.
Relax. Jimny even with the 104 BHP engine doesn't take that long for reaching 100 KMPH.

Here are the videos to put this to rest.

Jimny (5 door) Manual takes approx 13 seconds -

Jimny 5 door automatic takes approx 16 seconds (watch from 8:45) -

Overall Manual is the one to go with if your journeys cover significant plains/highway drives and not only mountains/villages etc.
Manual would help great deal in overtaking these buses and trucks when required that are spread all over the roads.

Automatic according to me is better if rides cover lesser plain Highways and more cities + mountains/twisty roads.

Last edited by RDS : 4th June 2023 at 15:53.
RDS is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 17:08   #208
BHPian

Thanks for all the replies @paddleshifter @cool_dube.
My whole idea of asking these were the fact that if the acceleration is so slow, it would be difficult to do the highway runs in the plains till you reach those terrains up in the mountains. Also rule of thumb- shorter gearing- better acceleration, taller gearing- better top speed.

@RDS- thanks for the videos, 16 secs for the A/T is pretty acceptable for this car. I am looking forward to that first test drive and of course the price reveal.
jackofsome is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 18:58   #209
BHPian

Like the above comments, the Jimny , when compared to other vehicles in its class, will turn out significantly lighter.

However, when compared to the sedans, hatchbacks and crossovers that have the K15B engine, it's a different story. These cars are usually front wheel drive vehicles. That means that the gearbox, differential and axles are all in one housing. The benefit of this arrangement is lower manufacturing costs, weight savings and minimal transmission losses.

The Jimny on the other hand, sends power from the gearbox to the transfer case through a propeller shaft. The transfer case then sends that power to the front and rear differentials through bigger prop shafts. It doesn't stop there, each differential sends power to two wheels each via dedicated axles.

Even if these jeeps and Jimnys are driven in 2WD, all these parts are constantly in motion. Therefore, from the moment the clutch is released (or the shifter is slotted into D), a small but significant percentage of the power produced by the engine is constantly being devoured by these moving parts. Add to this the weight of the heavy drivetrain components and we will see lower power and fuel efficiency figures.

The Jimny will have slightly lower acceleration and a bit of a mileage issue when compared to the Ciaz and all other cars with the K15B. But that shouldn't be seen as its drawback. The Jimny is not a simple car, it's a proper 4WD. And this complex (w.r.t. fwd cars) drivetrain is what sets it apart.

Cheers.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th June 2023 at 05:36. Reason: K10B - K15B
aravind422 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 22:27   #210
BHPian

Does anyone know what time the pricing is expected to be revealed tomorrow?
kesh4munni is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks