Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2023, 14:43   #121
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDS View Post
I have been myself trying to get this answer. The OD button surely is there as seen in various reviews. However, no one has really addressed this question, RPM @ 100 KMPH for Jimny A/T.

I am really missing the Jimny A/T review and it is amazing because probably Maruti is getting more bookings for A/T!!

Here is what I found to be a great review - talks about Manual as well as A/T. The reviewer is/was a Gypsy User.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=4G-V...naR0PtR4AaABAg
IIRC it’s 3000 rpm for the AT and around 3300 or so for the MT. Both figures for the international 3-Door, and I don’t think anything has changed with the 5-Door.
Vikram9193 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 16:15   #122
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadFiend View Post
Request clarification on the wading capability.

Also, a tyres thread and an accessories thread are badly needed
Wading capacity is 310mm as per what Ive read.

You can refer to the Motoroids Youtube review.

There is already a thread on Jimny modifications.
Here is their main and accessories brochure.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PDF document.pdf (15.92 MB, 180 views)
File Type: pdf Jimny_Genuine_Accessories.pdf (17.64 MB, 324 views)
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 16:52   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssingri View Post
Attached is a spec sheet for Jimmy.
Hey, I believe this spec sheet is of the 2nd gen. Jimny. A couple of parameters in it do not match those of the current model.

I downloaded a brochure of the 3 door Jimny in 2018 to prove a certain point to a friend who owned one. According to this publication, eventhough the top gear of the AT is vastly leaner that that in the MT, the true final drive ratios remain almost unchanged at 4.09 for the MT and 3.95 for the AT. The reason for this is that the MT and the AT have differently calibrated transfer cases. Just take a look at the screenshot I have attached.

So, both versions will maintain roughly the same engine rpm for any given speed.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img20230528wa0002.jpg  

aravind422 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 20:14   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Jimny alongside Force Gurkha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
This is pretty close
Actually, this picture of the Jimny next to Force Gurkha reminded me of this scene from the movie

Looking the offroading videos, the Jimny does something very similar for me.
nishsingh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 21:07   #125
BHPian

Fantastic review as always. Just the perfect mix of needed data points and pics to drool over.

For me, it is a decade late, perhaps 10 years back it would have made the perfect sense, but now family beckons for which it for varied reasons as already discussed, it is not the desired vehicle. 10 years ahead, I do hope my daughter wants the 3 door one as her first vehicle, I might be able to steal some time it with then.
sids1811 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 01:30   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

I was seeing a couple of 0-100 runs in YouTube. None of the results are from the Vbox, both are speedo indicated. They have not mentioned whether the AC was on or off. Both of them drove a manual.

The MotorBeam guy managed it in 23.25 seconds. He was shifting around 5,200 RPM.

See the video from 6 mins 23 secs mark.

On another video Faisal Khan tried the same. He reached 0-100 in roughly 19 seconds. He started at 16.44 secs and reached 100 km/hr at 17.03 seconds. This guy revved it all the way till the rev limiter hits (6,300 rpm).

See the video from 16 mins 43 secs mark.

If I go by these videos, the pick-up we can expect will be in league of the 800 cc cars like the Eon, Alto or the Maruti 800.

Last edited by Samba : 29th May 2023 at 01:37.
Samba is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 07:09   #127

Will the turning radius of Jimny affect driving on hilly roads which have hairpin bends?
I'm not worried about hairpin bends on highways but the small hairpin bends in village roads which also have a steep slope like in and around Shimla.
I drive an Alto K10, and didn't face much of an issue but as people are pointing out the turning radius of Jimny i wonder whether it will affect driving.
chheringpal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 07:26   #128
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
I

On another video Faisal Khan tried the same. He reached 0-100 in roughly 19 seconds. He started at 16.44 secs and reached 100 km/hr at 17.03 seconds. This guy revved it all the way till the rev limiter hits (6,300 rpm).
This Faisal fellow has zero respect for automobiles and is merely a smooth-talking click-bait artist. I do not like the way he treats the cars he drives.
I would not pay much attention to him. His target audience is totally different. The less said the better.
shankar.balan is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 09:57   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram9193 View Post
IIRC it’s 3000 rpm for the AT and around 3300 or so for the MT. Both figures for the international 3-Door, and I don’t think anything has changed with the 5-Door.
Apologies, the Team-BHP review itself has confirmed that the manual sits at 3000 rpm at 100 kmph. My bad.

About the AT, I found a forum post on a Jimny specific forum claiming 2800 rpm at 60 mph (97 kmph) for the 3-door Jimny. There are people complaining about high revving noise (5500 rpm) in the AT when climbing mild hills. Perhaps because of the wide spacing between the four ratios available. An overseas YouTuber also mentioned that the noise continues even after cresting the hill, since the AT is slow to react and shift up.
Vikram9193 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 10:02   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chheringpal View Post
Will the turning radius of Jimny affect driving on hilly roads which have hairpin bends?
I'm not worried about hairpin bends on highways but the small hairpin bends in village roads which also have a steep slope like in and around Shimla.
I drive an Alto K10, and didn't face much of an issue but as people are pointing out the turning radius of Jimny i wonder whether it will affect driving.
Kindly request one of the many Gypsy owners in Shimla for this. If you ever get the chance, please visit the Boileauganj/Advanced Study/Summer Hill area and there you can talk to the army people in their Gypsy's (plenty around). From what I've gathered from experience (and anecdotally) in Shimla and HP in general, driving a larger turning radius vehicle requires more planning and a few more 3 point turns.
Based on my experience, for a city like Shimla (and HP in general), there is no other car like an Alto. It can do most of the things a big car can and some more. So if you plan to make the Jimny your daily runabout in Shimla, brother you will feel it, for sure. But its narrow width might be a saving grace here.
sammysossa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 10:04   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This Faisal fellow has zero respect for automobiles and is merely a smooth-talking click-bait artist. I do not like the way he treats the cars he drives.
I would not pay much attention to him. His target audience is totally different. The less said the better.
Agreed! I am not convinced by 99% of these YouTubers. These busy public roads are not a place to test the 0-100 run either. I hardly trust what these guys say.

Now by leaving yours and mine personal opinion aside, we can’t deny what they have shown in the videos. We can clearly see the acceleration along with the rpm and that do give us a rough idea of the Jimny’s acceleration.

If I find a 19 second clip showing what I am looking for, from a 51 mins video, I can happily ignore the rest 50 mins 41secs and collect my required data. I do not have any personal issue with either of these guys, so if anyone of them shares what am looking for, and I feel that part has been done more or less in a correct way, am okay with that. And that is the sole reason I have mentioned the clip timings from both these videos, so the readers do not have to waste their time searching for it.

If you have noticed anything wrong about their driving techniques in these videos like wrong shifting or anything else which could have improved the timing a bit more, or if you actually have the official 0-100 timing data or any other better video which you came across, please share with us. Even I am looking for a better one!

Edit- A 0-100 timing do not even matter for a car like Jimny, but for people like us, to reach the hills, we have to cover a minimum distance of 600 km on the plains, so the drivability or the grunt of the car matters, specially on those single lane state highways.

Last edited by Samba : 29th May 2023 at 10:15.
Samba is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 10:09   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Excellent point and something I'm sure prospective hill drivers will want to thoroughly check out when test-driving the Jimny.

In my limited experience, the overwhelming majority of 'urban' hill roads in residential areas in say towns like Shimla are really narrow with tortorous and erratically sloped hairpins at regular intervals.

Any vehicle hoping to be popular in such areas needs to navigate them flawlessly.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 10:17   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysossa View Post
Kindly request one of the many Gypsy owners in Shimla for this. If you ever get the chance, please visit the Boileauganj/Advanced Study/Summer Hill area and there you can talk to the army people in their Gypsy's (plenty around). From what I've gathered from experience (and anecdotally) in Shimla and HP in general, driving a larger turning radius vehicle requires more planning and a few more 3 point turns.
Based on my experience, for a city like Shimla (and HP in general), there is no other car like an Alto. It can do most of the things a big car can and some more. So if you plan to make the Jimny your daily runabout in Shimla, brother you will feel it, for sure. But its narrow width might be a saving grace here.
Whenever the Jimny comes to Shimla, will have to take it for test drive to Taradevi temple. If it can go there without much of a hassle, then it can go anywhere.
chheringpal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 10:21   #134
BHPian

Quote:
We have some bends like that. My current car with a 5.4 meter turning radius can’t clear it. Became a problem when I got a rear tyre in the air while reversing and then of course the parking brake didn’t work Can’t imagine what it will be like in the rain.
Old 29th May 2023, 10:35   #135

Aditya, Chetan, thanks a ton for this cracking review. Love the details you brought upfront in the limited time you had with the car.
Easily the most awaited review for so many of us this year.

IMHO 3 points which I consider from a safety standpoint, which should have been included on a vehicle of such nature/use case.

1) 360 degree camera. Although there is a reversing camera, considering the design of the car and its use case, in various scenarios the 360 camera brings a certain spatial awareness which can be very useful, specially in low light/night situations.
As an existing XL6 Alpha AT user, I can really attest to the many times this feature has saved both the car and people outside it. Maruti already has the hardware/software combination available for this. Even the Fronx has it.

2) TPMS. A factory fitted TPMS would have be really appreciated. Wheels are the first point of contact for a car and the tyre pressure has serious repercussions on ride quality in both on road / off road ride quality and safety.

3) A Bash plate, Underbody and Engine protection which came factory fitted would have meant that Maruti has taken a literal bottom up approach to the whole design for a off roader. My physiotherapist would say what's the point in have a strong upper body when you have weak ankles and knees.
Again I suffer from this anxiety in my XL6, every time I open my engine bay, I can see that huge open gap. Its quite sad that this is the case in the Jimny too.

Cheers and safe driving to all....
Vicks79 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed