Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2023, 07:58   #166
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by chheringpal View Post
Will the turning radius of Jimny affect driving on hilly roads which have hairpin bends?
I'm not worried about hairpin bends on highways but the small hairpin bends in village roads which also have a steep slope like in and around Shimla.
I drive an Alto K10, and didn't face much of an issue but as people are pointing out the turning radius of Jimny i wonder whether it will affect driving.
Yes, the turning radius of the Jimny (5.7m) will make it difficult to negotiate the sharp hairpin bends on narrow roads. I'm currently in Himachal and I saw several Gypsies (4.9m) having to reverse and then climb again on sharp bends in Naggar and Manali - so with the Jimny it will be even worse. Add to this, that the steering also does not return properly and also the steering needs more rotations to do a turn - it will be challenging.

The Alto is the car that goes everywhere - Jalori Pass was a breeze for all the Altos.

Last edited by dileep : 30th May 2023 at 08:04. Reason: typo
dileep is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 08:57   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Gurkha towers over latest Thar itself. I was surprised by that when I saw them at a traffic signal.
The upcoming Gurkha BS6 2.0 will tower even the previous BS6 Gurkha .
rakesh_r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 09:13   #168
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileep View Post

The Alto is the car that goes everywhere - Jalori Pass was a breeze for all the Altos.
Yes. Let us all momentarily forget all this new and fancy modern shiny 4x4 Hype.

The cars that will actually go anywhere in the hilly regions of India without any ado and absolutely zero fuss and which can be parked easily on near vertical inclines while maybe even precariously with two wheels hanging off the road, are the old Sipani Dolphin and Dolphin Station Wagon, Maruti SS80, SB308, Maruti Van/ Omni, Zen, Alto, A Star, S Presso, Celerio, Renault Kwid, Datsun Go, Datsun Redi Go, Datsun Go+, Piaggio APE, Tata ACE, Mahindra Supro, Mahindra Maxximo, Ashok Leyland Dost and so on.

All of these are small and light and highly manoeuvrable as well as highly reliable - all of them will start at first crank in those sub zero temperatures of the high hills.

One sees if one travels in places like deep rural France and Italy and Spain and Portugal and Greece and all, especially in the off-beat mountainous interior regions, these ancient and wheezy little Piaggios and Fiats and 2CVs and SEATS and old VW’s and all - mostly just paint-stripped rust-buckets held together with chewing gum and bits of string and a ‘stickiness’ born of the sheer force of habit, chugging along merrily on a mixture of petrol and kerosene and probably stove-fuel and ethyl alcohol.

They are more or less indestructible.
shankar.balan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 09:37   #169
BHPian

We live in an India now with Individual cars for the members and not a family car . A sign of economic progress and busy working lifestyles.

Jimny will be a lifestyle vehicle just like Thar lets leave the off-road capabilities for a moment.

The 2 door car will also be a 4 seater like its 4 door variant.

Now what Maruti needed was launch both at different prices and launch without 4x4 but preferably more power and better AT of mannual Transmission

99 % of these cars will be driven in 2 wd. If humble altos and espresso can tackle most terrain so can these.

We need good city cars with tight turning radius and easy to park plus the jeep look and yes for those who call it urban of mall crawler we are not offended as thats what they will do.

The 2 door variant should be launched with a better gear box may be more power.

Price it under 8-9 lacs and you have market shaker

As for Road presence the Thar will be the king as for now and the Toy like or miniature G class Gymni doesn’t have that. It however is a handsome car and a well priced one will have many takers. Thar stays to rule this segment if not much difference in price.
Old 30th May 2023, 09:45   #170
BHPian

Quote:
That's one of my fears driving here, especially in and around Shimla. The roads are narrow with turns and slopes.
Let's see how Jimny holds up in the real world. That will help me decide whether to go for it (apart from pricing ofcourse).
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This Faisal fellow has zero respect for automobiles and is merely a smooth-talking click-bait artist. I do not like the way he treats the cars he drives.
I would not pay much attention to him. His target audience is totally different. The less said the better.
Words that can’t be written are better used for the want to a better word… crass
Old 30th May 2023, 12:21   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
I was seeing a couple of 0-100 runs in YouTube. None of the results are from the Vbox, both are speedo indicated. They have not mentioned whether the AC was on or off. Both of them drove a manual.

The MotorBeam guy managed it in 23.25 seconds. He was shifting around 5,200 RPM.

See the video from 6 mins 23 secs mark.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=MGUHYRtLRZQ

If I go by these videos, the pick-up we can expect will be in league of the 800 cc cars like the Eon, Alto or the Maruti 800.
That's me. The AC was on (at blower speed 1) during this speedo indicated 0-100 test. It was to show people what kind of acceleration they can expect when they intend to gain speeds while driving the Jimny. The vehicle definitely needs more grunt. A proper VBOX test with in-gear acceleration (30-80 in 3rd gear, 40-100 in 4th and 60-120 in 5th) will follow once we get the test car in Mumbai.

Last edited by StrangeWizard : 30th May 2023 at 12:25.
StrangeWizard is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 12:52   #172
BHPian

Quote:
That's one of my fears driving here, especially in and around Shimla. The roads are narrow with turns and slopes.
Let's see how Jimny holds up in the real world. That will help me decide whether to go for it (apart from pricing ofcourse).
Honestly, if you have been driving in Shimla and can do these four routes:

• Shoghi - Taradevi Temple
• Boileauganj - Kamna Devi Temple (right to the temple gates)
• Kasumpti - HP Secretariat
• Nav Bahar - St. Bede's College

You should not be be worried about being able to drive any PV. Unless it's an Isuzu V-Cross (I mean, its a ship).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
4X4s with a front live axle and body-on-frame configuration typically have a steering knuckle design that results in their larger turning radius.

I have a 2016 Gyspy King that I have driven on dirt roads in remote locations all over Himachal (Shangarh, Chaupal, Kamrunag & many more)...
Sir, anyone who has driven a floaty-carb engined (I'm sorry if there are other sorts... not a petrolhead) cars with steerings which gave suggestions rather than direction, in the mountains, should ideally be required to have that disclaimer in their bios.

I don't remember using a hand brake for anything but stopping a vehicle rolling down while parked (along with putting it in 1 / R)

Distinctly remember being taught to get the car moving while stopped on a steep incline (Taradevi temple road) with the left-foot-on-clutch and right-foot-toes-on-break-&-heel-on-accelerator method (don't know what it's called really).
My friend got out an put a matchstick behind the rear wheel. If the car rolled back even one mm, the stick broke and you'd have to try again.
The poor-poor clutch plate lost half its life in the service of teaching me the footwork.

Hill assist you say?

Point being, you give old school mountain guys a plank with four ball bearings for wheels, and they'd have steered with their bottom ends to reach the mountain's base safely. So anything with more tech than that is going to lead to, "Well, this is child's play. CHILD'S PLAY I TELL YOU!"

Last edited by Himalayan_Ice : 30th May 2023 at 12:54. Reason: Missing word(s)
Himalayan_Ice is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 13:08   #173

A lot of critical comments for the Jimny and comparing with the Thar. Usually a segment grows a lot when a new entrant comes in. Around 10 years back there were hardly any softroader SUVs around in the 10-20 lakh range. Now the consumer is spoilt for choices in that segment. The 4x4 segment is only gonna grow from here which is a good thing for us offroading enthusiasts. I'm looking at Jeep Renegade, bronco and a comeback of the holygrail subaru?? etc. And specially the aftermarket 4x4 accessories and hopefully the revival of rally raid which a lot of us amateurs were able to participate in.

Last edited by Jimmyjimmyaaja : 30th May 2023 at 13:17. Reason: Correcting capitalisation in sentences. Thanks.
Jimmyjimmyaaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 08:52   #174
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Jimny alongside Force Gurkha.

Attachment 2455981

Attachment 2455982

Link
Ironically, the big,heavy Gurkha which weighs almost 2 times as Jimny (2.3 ton vs 1.2 ton) makes way less power (89 hp vs 103 hp), I see nobody highlighting this.

The additional torque gurkha makes is outdone by its weight. Also, Torque can always be compensated with gearing, while power cannot be and horsepower already is a product of torque (hp = Torque x RPM/5252).

Jimny will smoke it on the road as Gurkha has a pathetic power to weight ratio and the Gurkha should be slower than 800cc vehicles with this power to weight ratio and long trips will be hours slower on the archaic Gurkha.

Jimny also offers better space management and convenience of 4 doors. And a lift kit with larger wheels should improve the presence, as the photo has a stock Jimny.

Jimny comes with rigid axles on both ends, while Gurkha has Independent Suspension in the front. So, Jimny clearly has the better off road capability.

So, all in all Jimny seems to be the better/modern car for the job, unless one wants to get the feel of driving a tempo traveller at a pace of a HM Ambassador.
tarmacnaut is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 10:26   #175

Does anyone know the actual booking percentage ratio of Jimny Manual vs Auto ?
My usage primarily will be On road and jimny will be the only car I will have at the moment but yes I intend to have occasional visits to farms & off road trails as well, I want to keep this jimny like collectors item, a bit confused since the Auto is 4AT and manual has notchy & rigid gearbox, but this can at least be that one manual ICE vehicle I want to have before the AT's & electric's completely take over in the near future. Request BHPians to guide me through !
Old 31st May 2023, 10:33   #176
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnftech View Post
Does anyone know the actual booking percentage ratio of Jimny Manual vs Auto ?
My usage primarily will be On road and jimny will be the only car I will have at the moment but yes I intend to have occasional visits to farms & off road trails as well, I want to keep this jimny like collectors item, a bit confused since the Auto is 4AT and manual has notchy & rigid gearbox, but this can at least be that one manual ICE vehicle I want to have before the AT's & electric's completely take over in the near future. Request BHPians to guide me through !
As per this article, both Automatic and Manual have an equal number of bookings.
https://www.news18.com/auto/maruti-s...s-7934161.html
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 11:09   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Maruti Jimny Review

Thanks for the amazing review Aditya and Chetan.

I’m one of those eagerly waiting to get my hands on Jimny. I booked mine on the day it was launched.

I’m more of a motorcycle guy, who believes the quote “4 wheels move your body, 2 wheels move your soul”. But this is probably the only car that has managed to get so much excitement in me. And I hope the Jimny could move my soul too

Have been a big fan of Gypsy and Safari since my childhood. Heck, it’s been my father’s dream to own Gypsy too. I hope this is going to be a Gypsy that we can live with adequate comfort.

If you look at it, the neo-retro or retro styled vehicles are a big category in motorcycles. Across the world, there’s demand for them. Keep in mind these motorcycles too have lots of limitations.

I’ve been wondering why we don’t have similar category in cars. At least with these SUVs, we are getting neo-retro (in form) in cars too. Be it Thar, Gurkha or Jimny, they all have that classic and modern looks in them. They look charming.

A small nitpick I have about the review is with respect to the performance. it would have been good if we compared the performance of Jimny to the likes of Brezza instead of Thar? And IMHO, Brezza’s engine is a decent performer on the road, for our road conditions and speed limits.

Every thing in the world has pros and cons. It’s just left to the buyer to decide if they are aware of it before taking the plunge. And thanks to Team-bhp, we have it.

Kudos to all the efforts guys.
bpapache is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 11:29   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyjimmyaaja View Post
A lot of critical comments for the Jimny and comparing with the Thar. Usually a segment grows a lot when a new entrant comes in. Around 10 years back there were hardly any softroader SUVs around in the 10-20 lakh range. Now the consumer is spoilt for choices in that segment. The 4x4 segment is only gonna grow from here which is a good thing for us offroading enthusiasts. I'm looking at Jeep Renegade, bronco and a comeback of the holygrail subaru?? etc. And specially the aftermarket 4x4 accessories and hopefully the revival of rally raid which a lot of us amateurs were able to participate in.

Agreed that segment grows with every new entrant but issue here is pricing. If it’s priced anywhere near Thar, which is very likely considering Maruti’s stance, it’ll not sell. There is not much competition it’s either Thar or Gurkha. Jeep is on its way to packing bags, I would love to be wrong about this. People are critical because going by price Jimny is not able to justify its price when compared to Thar. Well most of it’s about looks but Jimmy’s size is its plus point according to me. I believe until the price is released we all right about our opinion, considering we are ones who will be spending money on it.
Clown Prince is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 12:15   #179
BHPian

Any idea where is Li-ion battery used in ISS (Idle stop start) located in Jimny ? In Fronx it is placed under front pax seat which restricts movement of rear left passenger feet while sliding under front seat.

Last edited by Rahul Lal : 31st May 2023 at 12:17.
Old 31st May 2023, 12:39   #180
BHPian

2 Door Jimny @ 8 lacs or less leaving money for the individual to style it as per their choice and Maruti Suzuki can make those Kits. It will be a game changer. They can make the profits on the kits.

The small foot print will make it a very competent car add to it a strong hybrid or an EV and Maruti will laugh all the way to the bank

The boys won’t mind shelling 1-2 lacs on Kits to make em look like G wagons and land cruisers or land rovers or Broncos .

The Jimny is the most customisable car out there as can be seen on the internet

Mat Watson buying one and customising it is ample proof ��

I am ready to add one to my stable at that price point
Urorobo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks