Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2023, 16:03   #151
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
I did a quick U-turn during the media drive.
Quote:
The Jimny media drive was a lot of fun and made more special for me because I got to hang out with Aditya and Chetan during the drive.
======
Do you even get Maxxis tires anymore? I loved the Trepador 235/75/R15.
I just saw it! It is brilliant and you are like a pro there, very balanced review also. Loved it.

As far as Maxxis goes I guess brand exists, just that someone has to import and you know how the tyre imports are considered by the very knowledgable folks in authority lol.

@gsferrari now that the review is done with and since you have put the money in for booking, what would be a 'reasonable price' for you OTR. Don't give me ex showroom funda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani446 View Post
As a novice, question is how much difference (ride and FE on road) does it make if I upgrade the width to 215 and downgrade the sidewall to 75 as these are widely available options here in India as of now.
https://tiresize.com/calculator/ use this to check when in doubts. The right size for an upsize is indeed 215/75/15 with a minimal impact on OD (- 0.7%) but if you go 80 then it will gain (2.2%), which may give you better ground clearance, but surely will zap the acceleration.

As far as FE goes this size should take 1 KMPL min, issue here is minimal reserve power the engine has. Any addition load on it will make it take in more fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmountain View Post
No issues if the pickup is in the league of alto, 800 and likes, But then price should also be in same league.
What is premium here
Hence I had suggested a x1.5 factor from a wagon r current price. Alto maybe too way of a comparison.
Jaggu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 16:40   #152
Senior - BHPian

The use case for the car is quite niche, mostly open rough country. With its turning radius, it would be an issue in any of our crowded hill regions. The only places would be probably slush areas , forests and deserts although havent seen much of it in action in the desert.
Old 29th May 2023, 16:58   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
@gsferrari now that the review is done with and since you have put the money in for booking, what would be a 'reasonable price' for you OTR. Don't give me ex showroom funda
16 OTR top end AT. I'm not really interested in the other variants. Lesser would be better of course but I have a feeling we are going to see 18-19L OTR for the Alpha AT.

Quite prepared to retain the Pajero in that case and enjoy the legend until the government says I can't anymore.
gsferrari is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 17:23   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani446 View Post
Thank you!. Gagan Chowdary in his YouTube review mentioned that the stock tyres with 80 sidewall are super comfy especially off the road. As a novice, question is how much difference (ride and FE on road) does it make if I upgrade the width to 215 and downgrade the sidewall to 75 as these are widely available options here in India as of now. My usage is mostly on paved roads. It is just that the tyres too puny even to look at and AT tyres will give some character to this car at least.
But I hardly see any 205s also no 80 profile in AT category yet. Hopefully we will get few soon.
215/75R15 is actually an upgrade. The number 75 is percentage of side wall with reference to the width (215).
For 195/80R15, the side wall would be 155 mm (195 x 0.8)
For 215/75R15, the side wall would be 161mm (215 x 0.75)

Thus you gain sidewall around 6mm which also increases you GC.
I hope it makes sense.

For 235/75R15, the side wall would be 176mm resulting into a 21mm more sidewall and ground clearance.

I am not going into the squatting profile which would mandate a higher pressure at this moment, but key take away would be that the best size would have been 215/80R15 which is not available here, so 215/75R15 is best bet.
I am planning for 235/75R15 after fitting and looking at clearance left for an s-rated snow chain.

Last edited by purohitanuj : 29th May 2023 at 17:36.
purohitanuj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 18:36   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram9193 View Post
We have some bends like that. My current car with a 5.4 meter turning radius can’t clear it. Became a problem when I got a rear tyre in the air while reversing and then of course the parking brake didn’t work Can’t imagine what it will be like in the rain.
Ahh, I find two members who know this Taradevi route Last year's 24th August, I was driving to Taradevi temple, and it started raining cats and dogs. I failed to climb that incline and asked my wife to place brick or stone behind the tires fearing the parking brake might not hold and it could be a free fall.

Do you think Jimny will get stuck there? Have seen Innova cabs climbing that incline.
Old 29th May 2023, 20:21   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks79 View Post

1) 360 degree camera.
Jimny Alpha will come with a 360 degree camera or wont it? The Alpha model of Jimny comes with Smartplay Pro+ and Zeta model with only smartplay pro. One of the difference between pro and pro+ is that pro+ has 360 degree cameras.

Correct me If I am wrong

Cruise control and 360 degree cameras were the only reason I booked Alpha Trim.
Old 29th May 2023, 20:33   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathur2012 View Post
Jimny Alpha will come with a 360 degree camera or wont it? The Alpha model of Jimny comes with Smartplay Pro+ and Zeta model with only smartplay pro. One of the difference between pro and pro+ is that pro+ has 360 degree cameras.

Correct me If I am wrong

Cruise control and 360 degree cameras were the only reason I booked Alpha Trim.
No 360 camera.

The only reasons why you should really book the alpha trim are:
1. LED headlights
2. Tinted glass all around
3. Alloys
4. Foldable side mirrors

The car is small enough that you don't need 360 degree cameras.

Cruise control is not very usable in India from my experience but the Alpha has this feature.

Last edited by gsferrari : 29th May 2023 at 20:36.
gsferrari is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 20:42   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chheringpal View Post
Will the turning radius of Jimny affect driving on hilly roads which have hairpin bends?
I'm not worried about hairpin bends on highways but the small hairpin bends in village roads which also have a steep slope like in and around Shimla.
I drive an Alto K10, and didn't face much of an issue but as people are pointing out the turning radius of Jimny i wonder whether it will affect driving.
4X4s with a front live axle and body-on-frame configuration typically have a steering knuckle design that results in their larger turning radius.

I have a 2016 Gyspy King that I have driven on dirt roads in remote locations all over Himachal (Shangarh, Chaupal, Kamrunag & many more). The width of the dirt roads that were quite treacherous was no more than 7/8 feet and many of the hairpin turns required multiple three-point turns.

You will very well know not only Gypsy has a wide turning radius but also no power steering which makes such manoeuvers all more challenging. I have never had any issues driving the Gypsy at all these places so rest assured driving a Jimny with all these creature comforts in Shimla will be a cakewalk.

Jimny is a slightly bigger vehicle than Alto so there will be a transition and you'll need to adjust to it however I'm quite sure you'll be able to do it easily.

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 29th May 2023 at 20:47. Reason: Addition of content
Vikram Arya is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 20:47   #159
BHPian

Quote:
No 360 camera.
This is really disappointing.

A 360 degree camera would be really handy even in a car like Alto when you are on a solo trip in remote Himalayas and need to squeeze in the car to pass on coming vehicles on the narrow roads. I currently drive an Ertiga in which I have installed a 360 degree camera imported from china for this specific purpose ie Solo trip to Himalayas.
mathur2012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 20:59   #160
BHPian

Quote:
2. Tinted glass all around
Tinted Glass - for Windshield and rear as well ? Please confirm
Old 29th May 2023, 21:14   #161
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
4X4s with a front live axle and body-on-frame configuration typically have a steering knuckle design that results in their larger turning radius.

The width of the dirt roads that were quite treacherous was no more than 7/8 feet and many of the hairpin turns required multiple three-point turns.

I have never had any issues driving the Gypsy at all these places so rest assured driving a Jimny with all these creature comforts in Shimla will be a cakewalk.
100% agree. My stock non AC, non power steering Gypsy King 2014 model with stock oem nylon cross ply tyres is easy to drive in all these narrow trails and estate roads and rough roads and hairpin bends.

Yes on very narrow trails one needs to do three pointers but this is not difficult for one who is experienced in these vehicles and one whose sense of distance and proportion is well developed. I’ve learned driving in narrow ‘No-roads in the hills’ so for me it is easy peasy lemon squeezey.

Remember also the Jimny has a recirculating ball type steering system. Why? Because this is far safer off the road when one is buzzing around amongst rocks and boulders and riverbeds and on trails with logs and big sticks and all where the wheels can hit some obstacle causing the vehicle to lurch and turn involuntarily. The steering will NOT jerk back hard and break your fingers or thumbs.

One of the worst things a driver of an off roader can do while off the road is to hook the thumbs and fingers into the spokes of the steering wheel. It is sensible to keep this fact in mind. The self same recirculating ball type steering system along with the live axles, also make for a larger turning radius for the Jimny. And it reduces the propensity for self entering too.

Don’t forget that it is an off roader and a go anywhere ute. Please DO NOT expect the finesse of a Kia Sonet or Hyundai Venue or Maruti Brezza or Grand Vitara when you buy a Jimny.

Better still, if you are expecting the soft roader’s cosseting comforts and luggage space and family friendliness and all, then just go buy a soft roader.

(Or no problem, go right ahead and buy a Jimny, then get sick of it in three months or have an argument with the family and then put it on sale on OLX or TBHP classifieds! This way a proper enthusiast can buy your cast off Jimny for a cut price!)
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img_9884.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_7761.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_7748.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_7750.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 21:16   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All the glass surfaces.
gsferrari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 01:50   #163

Quote:
Alpha features over zeta

Headlight washers
Automatic Led headlights
Fog Lights
Auto/climate controled AC (manual ac in zeta)
Push Start Button
UV Cut glasses (tinted glasses)
9 inch smart play pro+ with arkamys audio (zeta has 7 inch with smart play)
Electronically foldable and adjustable mirrors (only adjustable in zeta)
Cruise control (both MT and AT)
Leather wrapped steering wheel
Body colored door handles
ani446 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 03:06   #164
BHPian

Group of 5 door Jimny's running through winding roads of dehradun with actual sound and video captured from bonnet mounted camera. Love these types of videos.
purohitanuj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 06:48   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=L2-rDUeCN-g

Group of 5 door Jimny's running through winding roads of dehradun with actual sound and video captured from bonnet mounted camera. Love these types of videos.
Check out his demonstration for the 4 speed TC AT operation as well, and the comprehensive media drive review covering how the Jimny behaves on road and off-the-tarmac:

RijuC is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks