Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2023, 15:53   #481
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post
Interesting perspective from a colleague who is from Uttarakhand (I stay in Delhi).
The person is tired of pseudo SUVs (flirted with the i
One of his biggest concerns is Mahindra cars are too big and heavy for him. Driving such a monstrocity in city traffic or parking it at his village home is cumbersome.
They need a small all purpose vehicle that can take them to hills, be a no nonsense hardy boy, but also manageable in traffic.
On a differently related matter, he misses the Duster! it was a good value proposition for them.
This is the exact use case which the Jimny, rather than the Thar, serves very efficiently. If the price had been just a little lesser on road then that would have been the icing on the cake.

Had the early generation Jimny been made available to people in the hills in the 1990’s and 2000’s, it would have been well received.

There has always been a need for a small narrow light go anywhere all purpose 4x4 runabout especially in the North Eastern Region, the Himalayas and J&K and the Plantation Districts of Southern India, but Maruti simply never bothered until now.

Mahindra had it made for years and years and years with the CL550 and MM540. Those were all that you could see - oceans of them in every little market town in the hills. Mostly soft tops. Some Roplas hard tops.

The Jimny would have been a superb option with its metal roof and being fully lockable.

Duster was nice. But they discontinued the 4WD one. A friend of mine still has it in Coorg and uses it for all manner of work on his estate. Its capability and ride comfort is superb.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th June 2023 at 09:47. Reason: A word.
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 16:08   #482
BHPian

Referring my booking, I spoke my Nexa dealer asking for the Price list which is expected to have the breakup - It is getting ready by evening

Demo/TD vehicles - He mentioned that they expect those vehicles to reach their showroom in another 2 weeks time as it did with Fronx

Delivery - at the moment, he has no idea, but he mentioned, that Tamil Nadu region has been promised 300 Vehicles per month and he expects that his dealership will get 5-6 vehicles out of that

He also mentioned that customers who have made their bookings were little disappointed with the price, but not many are cancelling yet

Looks like, some are waiting for the TD to make a final call, and some are preparing to stretch their budgets to buy the Jimny they all along wanted

Swami
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 16:19   #483
Senior - BHPian

I'm not a Jimny person, and I doubt if I will ever go for something like a Jimny or Thar.

However, I am still surprised about the discussion on the price. Given how the Brezza is priced, and the huge hype around the Jimny and niche appeal, I fully expected the Jimny to be priced above it. Whether that is overpriced or VFM, is a totally different discussion.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 16:29   #484
Kln
BHPian

The price of Jimny is bad news for Thar buyers - the wait time is going to shoot up now

Ridiculous to expect 15+ for a 4 speed TC 1.5L puny engine.
Kln is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 16:40   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln View Post
The price of Jimny is bad news for Thar buyers - the wait time is going to shoot up now

Ridiculous to expect 15+ for a 4 speed TC 1.5L puny engine.
The wait times might in fact play into Maruti's hands.

If the customer is not too keen on the more powerful or the sheer presence of the Thar, then why should he wait for months and years to get the Thar, when he can get the hot new toy on the block quicker?

And who knows, Mahindra might raise their prices by the time it's time for the vehicle delivery.

If Maruti can convince customers to cough up nearly 18 lacs for a Brezza, why not the Jimny

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th June 2023 at 19:16. Reason: typos
Old 8th June 2023, 16:46   #486

The review of the Jimny was insightful and detailed. While I have been waiting for the Jimny since the rumours of it getting launched started a long time ago, I have always felt that the cars in India are yet to balance comfort, price and capability.
I come from the mountains and started moving in 4x4 at an early age.
In a place like Darjeeling, even to this day, we have the old Land Rovers plying the streets and the mountains.

I am a purist and for me a capable SUV has to satisfy the following at least:
1. High GC ( around 200mm +)
2. AWD at least, for power delivery
3. Fair bit of comfort

Having driven the Thar 4X4 (Though I am not confident of Mahindra Cars), Fortuner 4X4 and a few capable SUVs, I still feel that the Tata Safari 4x4 was one of the best cars India had launched which ticked all the 3 boxes.
The other was the Duster AWD and its disappointing it was discontinued.
The fortuners and the Jeep 4x4 are a tad too expensive but provide you with all what is required.

Long story Short, for me who likes to get on the road for weeks or even months, likes to maximize returns, my next upgrade looks like the Jimny or the Thar but I am still waiting fore the NCAP ratings since safety is of prime concern to me.

BTW I wish the likes of Creta and Nexon had AWD systems ....... just saying
TheSpadgieDrive is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 16:46   #487
BHPian

I was speaking with my Nexa sales guy today and he sent me the final on road price for the alpha a/t dual tone variant. It was coming to about 17.9 lakh, UP registration.

I noticed a couple of things. 25000 added for basic kit accessories and 28000 added for extended warranty. When I asked them to remove the extended warranty they said that they can't as it is bundled by the company. Would this be true? I don't want that extended warranty.

Showroom was Nexa Greater Noida.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th June 2023 at 19:17. Reason: Please capitalise first letters in names. Thanks.
prashant316 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 16:57   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
At this price point, I would rather spend 1.5 lakhs more and get Thar petrol 4x4 AT.
Even the Rubicorn looks cheaper in comparison with the Jimny price
RSimonS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 16:58   #489
BHPian

Fully respect Maruti trying to push a vehicle as premium with whatever marketing they can do. What I don't want is that Maruti crying foul on the Indian consumer who won't buy the over priced vehicle and then yank it from the market, leaving those who bought stranded "in the hills".
Mad Max is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 16:59   #490
BHPian

Overpriced. Just canceled my booking. Understand from Nexa sales guys that a lot of cancelations are taking place..
John is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 17:29   #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Guess it does. Below are the contact details shared by a friend.

https://instagram.com/achintyamehrot...RlODBiNWFlZA==

095994 97155

N.B: I'm in no way associated with the firm. Mods, you may please delete if it's violation of forum rules.

Meanwhile, Jimny deliveries seem to have started.
This looks like a tall & slim Wagon-R with puny tries like the old Mahindra police willy jeep. Not sure how stable will it be in off-roading with those slim tires.
manub22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 18:06   #492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Fully respect Maruti trying to push a vehicle as premium with whatever marketing they can do. What I don't want is that Maruti crying foul on the Indian consumer who won't buy the over priced vehicle and then yank it from the market, leaving those who bought stranded "in the hills".

They lost the plot with Kizashi, followed suit with Scross 1.6 and now this.

Even if we ignore the small size, the feature list or the lack thereof and even that underpowered and overused 1.5L petrol mill, is there any way to justify this eye-watering 18.5L OTR price for the top variant ?
MSIL is misreading the market and they will pay dearly.
I really was looking forward to replace the WagonR and get a jimny but the price has really put me off. In my opinion , it should have been priced in the sub 10L bracket for it to do good numbers. Now , I am just looking forward to good diwali discount and exchange bonus on the Jimny.
Thekalacoatwala is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 18:10   #493
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review vs Venue

I bought a Venue in Jan 2023, and hoped to pick up a Jimny in July. I booked it within a few hours of launch (4.30 am, don't ask!).

Now, when I compare the 2 top end versions, the jimny is coming out 1.5 lakhs costlier. And there lies the conundrum:

Jimny better than Venue:
1. 4x4, but where will I use that in a city?
2. Looks
3. Wireless connected car vs wired on Venue (though Bluetooth works just fine for all capabilities)
4. Headlight washer

Venue better than Jimny:
1. 7 speed automatic vs aged 4 speed on Jimny
2. Auto dimming rear view mirror
3. Smaller turn radius
4. Dreamy smooth engine
5. Superb connected car features (many more than maruti)
6. Internal camera
7. Mileage of 13 in city (am guessing Jimny's is poor since maruti hasn't mentioned their favorite talking point!)
8. Colour mid vs monochrome mid display
9. Paddle shifters
10. Arm rest with storage for front passengers
11. Arm rest for rear passengers
12. Capable of holding 4 one litre bottles
14. Rear ac vents and charging points
14. Wireless phone charger
15. 1.5 lakh less expensive!

I really feel that at the price, it feels like the Venue is more value for money!
pheru8b is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 18:11   #494
BHPian

No product (Jimny or Thar) with the current Price/Feature set can dream of becoming mass market. At this price point the overcrowded SUV mass market a is being comfortably served by the Brezzas, Cretas and the Kias. Jimny is the closest compromise between price and features if you are currently in the market for a 'go anywhere, park anywhere' 4x4. The THAR does not sell at these numbers because its VFM but simply because there no alternative. If you just go by the features that are on offer , the top spec THAR is at best a 16L product on the road. Except for the 4x4 capability, any average SUV on the market comfortably beats the THAR on all fronts. The Jimny seems to have compromised on the Engine and AT gearbox rather than skimp on the features. The majority of the buyers (including the fairer sex who are totally missing in this forum but play a key role in the purchase decision) prefer the later. Nevertheless, its still a compromise at best, so its going to take some convincing with the family to pick this over the Brezza's and Creta's. Like many have rightly pointed out, given how mod friendly the Jimny is, most buyers are going to drive the Jimny straight from the showroom to the aftermarket shop for that Overlander look. VFM be dammed.

Last edited by hishetty : 8th June 2023 at 18:16.
hishetty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 18:14   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Not sure if I have read it in the forum so far- can the Jimny be fitted with a snorkel kit ?

7:30+ is the answer :-)
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks