Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2023, 13:29   #646
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysossa View Post
Zen analogy aside, 5dr Jimny is almost of foot longer than the 3dr. Sorry, but whats the myth here?
Source: https://www.v3cars.com/news/maruti-s...on-differences
Most of that increase has gone into the boot space it seems. The 5 door has 208 litres and the 3 door has 85 litres.

The myth is the allusion to the perceived sense of space that the 5 doors is bigger than 3 doors because it has more doors. The back seat in the Jimny is still cramped for tall people. So yeah, there are more doors but there isn't really more space. Sure the boot capacity is much better.
veedub89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 13:42   #647
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just got a super cool & appropriate gift from Maruti...
My trusty childhood companion has a buddy now.

Maruti Jimny Review-pxl_20230613_080155745.jpg
Chetan_Rao is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 15:01   #648
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase!

The lemon green colour is indeed a looker.

I hope you will enjoy the car in the way a true offroader should be enjoyed -- off the road more often than on it.

Do post intermittent updates about the car's ownership experience.
Old 13th June 2023, 15:26   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
Most of that increase has gone into the boot space it seems. The 5 door has 208 litres and the 3 door has 85 litres.

The myth is the allusion to the perceived sense of space that the 5 doors is bigger than 3 doors because it has more doors. The back seat in the Jimny is still cramped for tall people. So yeah, there are more doors but there isn't really more space. Sure the boot capacity is much better.
In the original post, you have mentioned both 3 door and 5 door has same dimension. When the dimensions proved otherwise, yo are mentioning most of them are in to the boo space. The wheelbase of the 5 door Jimny is 340 mm more than that of 3 door. The increased wheelbase does results in both interion passenger space as well as boot space. The wheelbase of the 5 door Jimny is even more than that of the Thar as well.
sreejithkk is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 16:27   #650
BHPian

Would a wrap in this shade of green be ok legally? Is getting a wrap generally a good idea? Thanks for any thoughts.

We’re looking at granite grey or bluish black otherwise. Although I do like the white for contrast with steelies and dechromed grill.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-970908f66c6a4c369656e0da2c1d8489.jpeg  

Vikram9193 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 16:47   #651

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesh4munni View Post
The first 5D Jimny I've seen with offset rims and larger tyres - I think they are 285/75 R15

https://Youtube.com/watch?v=dnlXzvBzkaA?feature=share4
That Nexa Blue is really looking good on the Jimny and those steely rims as well

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th August 2024 at 02:07. Reason: Caps
Jimmyjimmyaaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 16:51   #652
BHPian

Maruti Management please remove the chrome from the grill and at least launch the two door as an option.
filmaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 17:06   #653
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind422 View Post
There will always be people who would love more than anything to own a particular vehicle, property, gadget, etc., and pray it would be just that tiny bit more accessible for them. I don't think they should be kept at a distance to facilitate exclusivity for the privileged sector.
If you really love to have a Jimny, then my recommendation would be to go and test drive one, and if you still love it - then go ahead and buy it, even if its priced slightly higher than what you think is its fair price. If you have to avail a loan - just go ahead and do it. You wont regret it - let me explain below.

Jimny is a SUV that you can keep for 25 years or 50 years, and your love for it will increase the longer you keep it with you.

You could instead spend 20+ lakhs on buying a creta - which will last around 15 years, and your love for it will decrease with each year that it ages.

And the icicing on the cake is that, even after keeping the Jimny for 20 years, you will find people who are willing to pay a very good price for taking it away from you. Good luck finding anyone willing to pay more than scrap value for a Creta after its done 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind422 View Post
Sincerely asking, wouldn't it be better for Maruti, or any other manufacturer (of any mass market product for that matter) to derive profits from volume sales rather than pitch for low quantity high margin business? I mean, isn't profit an important aspect? Just can't understand MSIL's strategy. That's clearly something a couple of leagues above me.
In theory, Maruti could launch a RWD stripped down variant of Jimny below 10 lakhs ex-showroom. The risk is that it will flood the market with Jimnys and the dynamics of Jimny vs Creta that I have described above simply won't work if the market is flooded with Jimnys.

For Jimny owners, its far better that Maruti prices it a premium, and its a reasonably scarce SUV in the market.

Mahindra has possibly committed that mistake. In my apartment I see as many Thars as I see Cretas. Thar has started becoming common and boring (no offense meant to Thar owners).
PYSO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 17:53   #654
Senior - BHPian

If it's broad-based, chances of repairs even in far-flung places are higher. It's not an exclusive vehicle one would flash at a party or 5Star hotel. Just my take on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
2) Those who want to buy a Jimny / Thar because they have a totally different character
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 19:36   #655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram9193 View Post
Would a wrap in this shade of green be ok legally? Is getting a wrap generally a good idea? Thanks for any thoughts.

We’re looking at granite grey or bluish black otherwise. Although I do like the white for contrast with steelies and dechromed grill.
Some queries.

Is wrapping itself legal as per the RTO strictly
Speaking?
Especially if the wrap changes the base colour recorded ln the RC Book/ Card? And if the relevant information is not given to the RTO and nexessary endorsement done?
Also what is the stance of Insurance on a wrapped car?
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 19:51   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
Jimny is a SUV that you can keep for 25 years or 50 years, and your love for it will increase the longer you keep it with you.

You could instead spend 20+ lakhs on buying a creta - which will last around 15 years, and your love for it will decrease with each year that it ages.
I get the emotion and the situation from abroad that is basis to this conclusion but even if one want to retain it those many years, how relevant would this be in our country? Absurd rules are killing best of the best Pajeros, Fortuner, Gypsy etc., plus all of these rules do influence the prices in preowned market as well.

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 13th June 2023 at 19:55.
saurabh041086 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 20:12   #657
BHPian

Jimny has its own clear advantages over Thar. It's Maruti and it's the safest bet when it comes to reliability and service center network. Then Suzuki knows a thing or two when it comes to 4WD - the barebone, that's simple and mechanical. This has four doors! For God's sake... Imagine you sit in front seat and the back seat passenger can open the door and get down on his/her own! My goodness.... ... My daughter likes Thar until she need to either get down to get me out or she need to squeeze into the back seat... Finally, the tough boxy character and unique look from that of Creta/seltos/brezzas crowd, that's worth putting that money in for sure.

For Thar, it's size and impeccable stance, sweet 2.2 oil burner or 150 hp gas burner - unheard in this price range. Finally Mahindra's tough as nails mechanicals are proven for decades in the hilly areas. So peace of mind. These two vehicles are different. Atleast 10 kids looked at Thar and waved or pointed in my recent trip to Kerla and that's Thar and many people look at it, admire it and this is a attention magnet. Same may not be true for Jimny I presume.
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 20:32   #658
Distinguished - BHPian

Jimny's bookings as of now:

Jimny has garnered over 31,000 bookings for the Jimny till now, it is now registering nearly 151 bookings per day for the SUV as against 92 prior to the announcement of the prices.

- Jimny is attracting first-time buyers ?... Not much

Quote:
They are usually additional car buyers and some of them are replacement car buyers. The largest segment is additional car buyers
- Volume expectations
Quote:
From a volume perspective, the Jimny may add some good numbers, but less than what the Brezza and the Fronx do. But more importantly, Jimny has a great brand presence, and that brand image perspective of our overall SUV portfolio should give us a good dividend. Hence, Jimny is very important

Link
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 21:45   #659
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Jimny has garnered over 31,000 bookings for the Jimny till now, it is now registering nearly 151 bookings per day for the SUV as against 92 prior to the announcement of the prices.
Precisely what I was saying in a few posts i made in this thread.

Bookings have gone up due to premium pricing. If they had gone for a below 10 lakhs variant, the bookings would have gone down.

That may sound paradoxical. But i can explain in a very simple manner - if something is very unique, then it's value goes up with scarcity and vice versa.

Diamonds are so valuable not because they are unique, but because they are also very scarce. One of the two is not enough.

This logic won't work for a "Me Too" car like Creta or Brezza or Taigun. Simply because there is nothing very unique about them, and so creating scarcity won't increase their value.
PYSO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 21:52   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
As per the dealers near to my hometown, they have cancellations but not many. Many people who have booked the Alpha auto variant is downgrading to Zeta Auto or Alpha manual, and it's the same trend with Alpha manual where many are downgrading to Zeta manual.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks