Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2023, 19:25   #706
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Aren't these illegal? Remember seeing some videos online by authorities to avoid using these. Here's a link on the same topic.

Link
Yes; they might be illegal, but what I am supposed to do if manufacturer introduces a half cooked feature in a car; that chime that lasts for 90 seconds every time you drive off is annoying. I am using these just to avoid that. Do not intend to use these as a replacement for seat belts.
akshay4587 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 19:48   #707
Distinguished - BHPian

As per Maruti Suzuki, most Jimny customers aren't first-time buyers and are purchasing the SUV as their second or third vehicle.

Quote:
Entry-level Jimny sees more bookings
City buyers prefer automatic variants
Current waiting period at around 7 months

Link
Old 14th June 2023, 20:09   #708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Yes; they might be illegal, but what I am supposed to do if manufacturer introduces a half cooked feature in a car; that chime that lasts for 90 seconds every time you drive off is annoying. I am using these just to avoid that. Do not intend to use these as a replacement for seat belts.
Understandable. Wish some thoughts were poured in before giving such half cooked features
SoumenD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 20:37   #709
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheru8b View Post
2. By 60 kmh, you feel the lack of a 5th forward gear, and then need to activate overdrive manually.
Cannot understand, what and how?
Old 14th June 2023, 21:15   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
If you really love to have a Jimny, then my recommendation would be to go and test drive one, and if you still love it - then go ahead and buy it, even if its priced slightly higher than what you think is its fair price. If you have to avail a loan - just go ahead and do it. You wont regret it...
Thank you.

I do like the jimny a lot. Around two decades ago, we had a very powerful and supremely comfortable RWD sedan and a Gypsy (MG410W) at home (sold both later). I gave so much preference to the ruggedness and the bring-it-on attitude of the Gypsy, that I wouldn't take the sedan even when I had to cover long distances.

So, if a more practical no-frills base variant would be released at a significantly lower price, I hope to buy it. It would be just what I need. Besides, I already have a comfortable vehicle for long/family trips. My sole disappointment is that the Jimny is overpriced, the Zeta being definitely not worth the asking price. I actually have a booking that I tried to cancel online but couldn't and thereafter put the cancellation on hold for a bit. I have seen all the comparisons with overseas prices, feature wise comparisons, etc. But its not worth it (for me, that is). I also fully understand what this vehicle is, what it'll never be and how immensely it can be modified, because I have been fortunate to work in different fields related to automotive sales, service and parts as well, in India and abroad. I'm not bragging and I'm no expert, I'm just saying that I do understand what most vehicles are.

About availing loans, I probably will not have to take a loan for this vehicle at the current prices. I also probably wouldn't buy a Creta or the like because even though these vehicles are very advanced, comfortable and most importantly, very efficient, I am not very fond of FWD cars. Just personal preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
For Jimny owners, its far better that Maruti prices it a premium, and its a reasonably scarce SUV in the market.
I don't understand this bit. For comparison, it is well known that the Toyota Innova was one of the highest selling vehicles during its peak. How are Innova owners adversely affected by that?

Cheers.
aravind422 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 21:42   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
By what definition is this a 'Quality vehicle' compared to the other Maruti Suzuki's on road ? It has got the same engine (actually the older K15B and not the latest K15C), inferior 4 speed AT gearbox compared to the other Suzuki's, interior quality is at best the same as the other Maruti's (can be argued against actually) and is less feature loaded as well.
Hello,

Thank you for the comment. Let me elaborate here. By quality, I don't just refer to the quality of the materials used or the tight tolerances used to build a vehicle that gives it a solid feeling. I am referring to the build and endurance of the vehicle too. For instance an S class has great quality materials but outside warranty period, you will get to see the how the build holds up. On the other end of a spectrum, a humble alto might not have the latest and great materials, engine or gearbox. However, it is a well engineered machine which is why we still see them doing mountain duty despite regular abuse.

I'm talking about the Jimny in a similar manner too. I am not measuring the quality by the feel of the interior plastics, engine technology or touchscreens inside the vehicle, rather in how well engineered and well out together the vehicle is. I can say without doubt that the Jimny will be one such vehicle that shines outside the warranty period which is extremely important when looking at an off-roader. I bet Thar owners will not be having a smooth journey once the warranty period is over. That's just my two paise on measuring the 'quality' of a vehicle. Basically, to sum up, quality for me refers to the quality of the materials AND the longevity. Thank you for the question once again so I could clarify this.

Best Regards,
Cefil
cefiljoseph is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 22:17   #712
BHPian

This guy has even installed the lift kit after upgrading the wheels.
I must say that the Jimmy now looks well proportionate with these wheels:-

tbppjpr is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 08:07   #713
BHPian

I absolutely love the looks and I wish I could afford to buy one as my second car.

But there are some issues that I have. Just my opinion.

Firstly, it isn't as cool looking as the 3 door. The 3 door has better proportions, and IMO makes more sense as a second car, as it could cost a bit less, be a lot more maneuverable (considering the large TC of the 5 door), and would be more capable off-road as well, and have a better power to weight ratio. Now that they have the 5 door money maker, Suzuki should consider launching the 3 door as well, as there would be little extra cost for them. I don't see any negatives in having a 3 door variant as well alongside the 5 door.

Secondly, they should definitely have a more powerful engine, and a better AT gearbox. Maybe a hybrid setup borrowed from Toyota, that would aid economy as well as power. It's no fun when you're getting single digit FE and don't have enough power to compensate. I regularly get single digit FE on my Scorpio in the city, and the Thar is the same as well. But the Thar does have the edge in performance, and frankly, power is power. Yes, the Jimny is more capable off-road, but it's not like a more powerful engine or a better gearbox would take away from that. It's about rounding off the overall package.
vivekgk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 08:33   #714
BHPian

In my search for AT tyres for Jimny, I came across these tyres. They look the most aggressive compared to other AT tyres but the con is that the dealer informed that these are black market tyres and sold without any warranty/bill. Price quoted is Rs 6300. Do anyone here have any feedback on these tyres?

Maruti Jimny Review-img20230613wa0003.jpg

Maruti Jimny Review-img20230613wa0004.jpg
mathur2012 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 08:36   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Cannot understand, what and how?
The Jimny automatic has just 4 gears. Hence, by the time I reached a speed of 60 kmh, I felt the car revving a lot. Normally, an automatic would move to the 5th gear by 60 kmh.

However, the Jimny does have a manual overdrive button on the right ride of the gear stick. On pressing that, overdrive is activated, which brings the revs down by 1000 rpm. By the time 80 or 100 kmh would be reached, I'm guessing, the revvs would again be too high causing higher fuel consumption and unnecessary torque.

I wish the auto gearbox had 5 or 6 gears. Very needed for highway driving.
pheru8b is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 09:15   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathur2012 View Post
In my search for AT tyres for Jimny, I came across these tyres. They look the most aggressive compared to other AT tyres but the con is that the dealer informed that these are black market tyres and sold without any warranty/bill. Price quoted is Rs 6300. Do anyone here have any feedback on these tyres?
I hope the experienced folks weigh in on this. Meanwhile, an Australian channel ranked Falken Wildpeaks (different tread pattern to those pictured in your post) to have the best overall on road and off road performance in a standardised test. BFGs were best off road and Yokos won in dry braking on road.

I’m concerned about on road braking since the Jimny doesn’t brake as well as the Mahindras any way.

Source:
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-85db3376a59248be9e91736c06ab4fbe.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-a17a60bae939484b8adbe82c5ee1f439.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-8e5f23cc130e4ac788c590f1dea580c3.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-f0f704c12344441699b6d22b3bdaaf5e.jpeg  

Vikram9193 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 09:21   #717
BHPian

Quote:
I can tell you Falken is a pretty decent brand. In fact my current car has Falkens, no problems faced yet. Have run 30k on them. So i am assuming these tyres will last as well. They also came with no questions asked warranty/replacement claims till 3 years

Do check the manufacturing date on the tyre and check thoroughly if the stamping has been restamped, some delhi dealers are notorious for this. Further my car tyres were made in India and fresh. You should also see if these are Taiwanese or not. Overall if the above are satisfactory you can go ahead with these tyres as a brand.
jackofsome is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 09:33   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofsome View Post
You should also see if these are Taiwanese or not. .
Dealer had informed that these are imported ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram9193 View Post
Meanwhile, an Australian channel ranked Falken Wildpeaks (different tread pattern to those pictured in your post) to have the best overall on road and off road performance in a standardised test.
Source: https://m.Youtube.com/watch?v=hmrW86...aW5nIHRlc3Q%3D
Yeah the tyres in the test are AT3W while my dealer is offering AT01 but anyways thanks for sharing this informative video.
mathur2012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 09:55   #719
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In my search for AT tyres for Jimny, I came across these tyres.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofsome View Post
I can tell you Falken is a pretty decent brand.
====
Overall if the above are satisfactory you can go ahead with these tyres as a brand.
I have used the brand, they are decent but do check the rubber thickness at sidewall, ie if you plan to do rough roads. Some of the tyres made for other regions may have very soft sidewall which can result in cuts. Dates also matter, do not go for more than 1 year old stock.

My advice to you, hold one for now. There will be more choices coming up once the market sees more of these cars.
Jaggu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 09:55   #720
RDS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheru8b View Post
The Jimny automatic has just 4 gears. Hence, by the time I reached a speed of 60 kmh, I felt the car revving a lot. Normally, an automatic would move to the 5th gear by 60 kmh.

However, the Jimny does have a manual overdrive button on the right ride of the gear stick. On pressing that, overdrive is activated, which brings the revs down by 1000 rpm. By the time 80 or 100 kmh would be reached, I'm guessing, the revvs would again be too high causing higher fuel consumption and unnecessary torque.

I wish the auto gearbox had 5 or 6 gears. Very needed for highway driving.
Seems there is a catch and you were driving all the time in 3rd gear rather than 4th, when you reached 60.

The O/D button is intended for exactly the opposite purpose than what you mentioned. O/D button exists not to start the Overdrive but to stop it - it is Overdrive Off button!!!

So, by default, O/D is always on, however for quick overtakes or when you need immediate speeds, you press O/D button (Overdrive off) and then car will hold till 3rd gear, revs rise.

Once you don't need that power, simply press O/D again for cruising.

Hence the natural real Revs are the revs that you saw after pressing the O/D button.

Seems someone had put the O/D off when you took hand of car, may be to show power etc

Last edited by RDS : 15th June 2023 at 10:04.
RDS is offline   (19) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks