Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2023, 09:35   #526
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Have the deliveries for the Jimny started? Or are they still in the process of launching it at dealerships?

Thanks,
Shibu
Old 9th June 2023, 09:49   #527
BHPian

I seriously don't understand the rage and comparison to a thar. I want to make 3 points first.

1. I don't find sense in comparing a pricing of a 3 door car to a 5 door.... Still the 5 door car is cheaper than the 3 door.

2. A company fitted metal hard top roof should not be even compared to a plastic fiber or whatever it is called which they give in the thar.

3. The kerb weigh of jimny + 4x100kg guys is still less than the kerb wieght of the thar alone without people. So the power to weight ratio and capabilities is way better n the jimny.

People will complain of it being a small engine and also criticize cars having big engines with low mileage. Anyone who was thinking of drag racing it on the highway was delusional from day 1. This car is not for them. And as little as i have driven in the big cities i don't think the traffic lets you become a high speed driver anyways.

IMHO.... speaking out of my experience and everyday life here in the mountains, this car would be gem for everybody living in a rural setup in India. Anybody who is connected to the elements around in any form. farmers, agriculturists, foresters and so on etc etc . This is not at all for someone in a city job as their so no value to you of what jimny has. Its like offering a vegetarian the best kebabs delhi has to offer. As far a s the tyres go. Yes they are shitty as in the thar. Would change them on day one in both the cases. Much cheaper ordeal in the case of jimny though. With exchange the new 5 tyres would cost around 15-16k.

People criticizing and cancelling the bookings make people like me a happy man. Aapke muh mai ghee shakkaer... It makes the waiting period shorter. On the contrary here in Shimla i haven't heard many people cancelling it. As it makes perfect sense for us here and everyplace else i mentioned above. It has 5 door, ahs good 4x4 is small for tighter spaces.

Anyday would prefer this priced Jimny than a free thar.

Cheers guys.
aasheeshmehta is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 12:01   #528
BHPian

I don't quite understand the comparison of the Jimny with Brezza or S-Presso !

Jimny as a product is quite unique. It is a 'proper' off-roader, with global validation for its capabilities. Equating it with MUVs is not a fair comparison.

I am also not sure about the issues about its 'puny' engine or how dated it is. While you are behind the wheels, what really matter is the torque/weight ratio and how effortlessly the engine does its job. Doesn't matter if it is of low capacity if the car is smaller and the power is adequate to drive it.

A lighter car with an adequate engine is often a boon in challenging terrains, where the nimble-ness of the car is often a major differentiating factor!!

Just look at the hunders of Altos doing taxi service in the hills across the country! The cars are like mountain goats hopping all over while bigger SUVs huff and puff around!

Let us judge a car for it's capabilities and whether the price being charged for it is justified.

Let us not draw false or forced parallels with other products that are different value propositions.
amitayu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 12:01   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasheeshmehta View Post
...............IMHO.... speaking out of my experience and everyday life here in the mountains, this car would be gem for everybody living in a rural setup in India. Anybody who is connected to the elements around in any form. farmers, agriculturists, foresters and so on etc etc . .................Anyday would prefer this priced Jimny than a free thar.
I completely agree with you. The folks living in rural India are the real target market for this vehicle. For them going off road is a daily activity like traveling in the local trains is for the residents of the suburbs of Mumbai.

Instead, Maruti has launched this vehicle under the NEXA brand where the sales executives are suited and booted and are trying to sell the dream of going off road on the weekend, driving to work during the week and taking the family overland on a holiday.

If Maruti had consider rural India as the target market, a stripped down version with an OTR of under Rs 10 Lacs would have made the Jimny an overnight success.
Zezé is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 12:20   #530
BHPian

All the guys who had to cancel their Jimny bookings please relax!

Within a year, there will be plenty of near mint, heavily accessorised Jimnies available in the used market at a value point we all desired. Happened with the Thar, in fact is still happening, and will happen with the Jimny as well.

A lot of early bird enthusiasts will get done with the ride (which they expected to be at par with the Cretas & Seltos') and the 100 Nm, 4 speed AT powertrain which belongs to the 1990s sooner than we think.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 12:27   #531
BHPian

Jimny is in no way overpriced. In fact, I think it's one of the better deals out there.

I always see people complain about lack of quality vehicles in India and when Maruti finally launches a good quality vehicle, people start to complain all over and then wonder why there are no good quality vehicles in India.

The economics are simple - a good product will have a premium simply because of the designing, engineering and manufacturing quality.

Perhaps this is why even Maruti themselves hesitated from selling Jimny here for so long.

Last I checked, all enthusiasts wanted it here and now it's here at a reasonable price by every measure, receives unnecessary flak.

That said, I don't think most people complaining are actually planning to buy one.

Truth is inflation is real and it hits hard. From basic components like steel to employee salaries, it's a long chain of things to be taken care of. After all MSIL is just a business who are liable to their investors and they would need to make a reasonable profit to make this sustainable.

Historically, a lot of great cars from Maruti stable and others were failed by the same enthusiasts who complained about not having quality products but didn't buy one when it was available. The examples are aplenty - previous gen Grand Vitara, Scross, Kizhashi, and previous gen Baleno were quality vehicles but everyone wanted a quality product without paying for a quality product while getting good mileage. Well, you can't have the cake and eat it.

The examples from other brands are even more. Octavia Combi, Fiat 500, Punto Abarath, Toyota Etios. The list is endless.

Customers say one thing and often buy something else. Maruti in fact has realised this and optimised their cars for two things now mileage and mileage. As a result, sheet metal is thinner and quality is lower in general but that's what happens when the market speaks.

To enjoy quality vehicles, it is important to demand for quality vehicles and appreciate the good ones while they are here. Hope everyone introspects and do a fair analysis before commenting on pricing when even a regular Creta which is far less reliable and worse build costs much more than the Jimny.
cefiljoseph is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 12:28   #532
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
"She who must be obeyed" ie. Big Boss
Oh! Thats from Rumpole of the Bailey. John Mortimer.
Superb books and Thames TV teleseries.
Old 9th June 2023, 12:36   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cefiljoseph View Post
Jimny is in no way overpriced. In fact, I think it's one of the better deals out there.

I always see people complain about lack of quality vehicles in India and when Maruti finally launches a good quality vehicle, people start to complain all over and then wonder why there are no good quality vehicles in India.

The economics are simple - a good product will have a premium simply because of the designing, engineering and manufacturing quality.

Perhaps this is why even Maruti themselves hesitated from selling Jimny here for so long.

Last I checked, all enthusiasts wanted it here and now it's here at a reasonable price by every measure, receives unnecessary flak.

That said, I don't think most people complaining are actually planning to buy one.

Truth is inflation is real and it hits hard. From basic components like steel to employee salaries, it's a long chain of things to be taken care of. After all MSIL is just a business who are liable to their investors and they would need to make a reasonable profit to make this sustainable.

Historically, a lot of great cars from Maruti stable and others were failed by the same enthusiasts who complained about not having quality products but didn't buy one when it was available. The examples are aplenty - previous gen Grand Vitara, Scross, Kizhashi, and previous gen Baleno were quality vehicles but everyone wanted a quality product without paying for a quality product while getting good mileage. Well, you can't have the cake and eat it.

The examples from other brands are even more. Octavia Combi, Fiat 500, Punto Abarath, Toyota Etios. The list is endless.

Customers say one thing and often buy something else. Maruti in fact has realised this and optimised their cars for two things now mileage and mileage. As a result, sheet metal is thinner and quality is lower in general but that's what happens when the market speaks.

To enjoy quality vehicles, it is important to demand for quality vehicles and appreciate the good ones while they are here. Hope everyone introspects and do a fair analysis before commenting on pricing when even a regular Creta which is far less reliable and worse build costs much more than the Jimny.
I feel the Jimny is about 1-2 lac overpriced considering the engine. just 20PS and 30-40NM of torque more would make it so much more exciting.
Old 9th June 2023, 12:49   #534

Another highly disappointed Jimny fan! Having waited for a few years, I had originally planned to get Jimny lower end version and Maruthi Electric car (as and when it launches). I had one of the first bookings at one of the dealerships in Bangalore.

I am aware of all the strengths and limitations of Jimny. In India we are also going through a fuel transition with more ethanol blending, which would most likely reduce the fuel efficiency of Jimny even further. I have a feeling in 2-3 years we might see differential pricing for fuel blends to appear that would make the running cost of Jimny much higher.

What type of mileage would a K15B engine give with a E20 blend, when used as a primary car?

Given this situation, I am not sure buying 5-door Jimny as the primary car at the current price would make any sense. The main value proposition for creating a 5 door version (and the associated development and marketing costs) was to allow for the use-case for it to be a primary car, if priced correctly.

Now if Jimny cannot be used as a primary car, Maruthi could have just launched the 3 door version at a reasonable price and be done with it. I am pretty certain the entire supply chain for 3 door version would have been optimized and they could have made decent money on the 3 door without any overhead of R&D and marketing for a really long time back.

Honestly, I cannot figure out what thinking behind branding "Jimny" as premium was. The 3 door version is a really good product and it was already cost optimized. A non-premium, less fuel efficient 3-door Jimny would have been a perfect secondary/lifestyle car, which is what Jimny really is! They could have made decent money on accessories especially during the warranty period.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Maybe others find it to be "premium", but somehow my analytical brain just can't come to terms with its "premium-ness".
Old 9th June 2023, 13:03   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
I feel the Jimny is about 1-2 lac overpriced considering the engine. just 20PS and 30-40NM of torque more would make it so much more exciting.
Power figures alone can't tell the entire story. A 911 in many cases have far less power than some American muscles which are way cheaper. That doesn't mean 911 is not exciting to drive.

Similarly, in Jimny's case, it's what in my opinion is a brilliant call made by the team. The current figures are great considering it offers a good balance of reliability, economy and power, Let's say they someone try to make more power like you suggested. It would have inevitable resulted in a compromise of reliability of fuel economy or both. Almost anyone would prefer the added reliability for an off-roader than a few more horsepower which might even be so high in the rev range that it can't be used.

Think Land Cruisers. They are overpriced if you measure them using their power figures. However, that's just half the story. In the V8s of J100 and J200, they consciously detuned the engines for added reliability and repairability. That has incredibly paid-off from what we see. Jimny is no different.
cefiljoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 13:05   #536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Have the deliveries for the Jimny started? Or are they still in the process of launching it at dealerships?

Thanks,
Shibu
Started already as per this Cartoq article.

https://www.cartoq.com/maruti-suzuki-jimny-first-deliveries-start-in-india-video/?mibextid=Zxz2cZ"]Link
Maruti Jimny Review-img_1364.jpeg

YouTube link:

Last edited by SoumenD : 9th June 2023 at 13:08.
SoumenD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 13:14   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasheeshmehta View Post
Anyone who was thinking of drag racing it on the highway was delusional from day 1. This car is not for them. And as little as i have driven in the big cities i don't think the traffic lets you become a high speed driver anyways.
I literally haven't seen or met anyone who want to buy Jimny for drag race purpose, not sure where this "delusion" is coming from. If someone is willing to spend 17-19 lacs, they mostly know what they are getting into. So far people complained about:

1. Overall build quality.
2. Size
3. Engine/AT combo*
4. Price.
5. Tyres

*Its upto the person, whether he sees it as old and reliable, or old and boring.
ramki.grandhi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 13:33   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cefiljoseph View Post

By what definition is this a 'Quality vehicle' compared to the other Maruti Suzuki's on road ? It has got the same engine (actually the older K15B and not the latest K15C), inferior 4 speed AT gearbox compared to the other Suzuki's, interior quality is at best the same as the other Maruti's (can be argued against actually) and is less feature loaded as well.

The only difference is the 4x4 hardware and of course the body which I hope is atleast as good as the Brezza platform.

Of course pricing is viewed differently by one's intended purpose of the vehicle and the value associated with it decides if it is offers the right value or not.

For me atleast the Jimny was an opportunity to replace my 2nd vehicle, that could be used in the city as well as an adventure vehicle to explore off roading, road trips to 4x4 territory, etc. With this 'premium' pricing, it is too expensive for my purpose. As many have mentioned, it is the perfect vehicle for the narrow hills, etc. and hence it will cater to this niche audience.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 9th June 2023 at 13:36.
fiat_tarun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 14:12   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

The Thar met Global NCAP which apparently is for developing markets and hence much less stringent than the Euro NCAP. If Jimny scored 3 on the Euro one, I think it will fare better on the Global one.
Yes, but stars tend to magically disappear when it's made for India. To me, GNCAP result is the make or break factor for Jimny.

I feel that we are getting the same global build in this case.
Formula1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 14:15   #540
Senior - BHPian

Comparison of technical specs which matter during off-roading. In fact when you drive on rough terrains, rather than ground clearance, you will need better specs for these
Name:  rename.png
Views: 533
Size:  6.7 KB
Ramp over angle of 3 door Jimny is 28 which is more than 3 door Thar. For pseudo SUVs these angles will be in early 20s or even less.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks