Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2024, 12:35   #256
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Exter Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakumar View Post
I have a minor issue with my Exter. Recently I started getting low pressure TPMS warning on the instrument cluster. I believe the warning started off as tyre pressure dropped below 30psi on a cold morning. I had kept the tyre pressure at 32psi earlier. Post the warning I increased the tyre pressure to 35psi and have driven around ~50 kms.

Still I keep getting the low pressure warning. Even after keeping the tyre pressure at 35psi, TPMS reports as 32 or 31. I guess there could be some discrepancy in the measures. However I could not get the warning go away.

Is there way to reset this? What is the low point on which TPMS triggers low pressure warning?
I had the same problem in one tire of my Exter. The best way is to fill a little extra upto 38-39 and drive till the warning goes away. After that you can return to normal tyre pressure.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th April 2024 at 10:54. Reason: typo
Old 11th February 2024, 20:50   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudOne View Post
To all the owners of Exter here, is anyone finding the drive seat uncomfortable?

Not sure why but I am finding the seat to be very uncomfortable. I am 5.4, earlier owned Grand i10 and Punch but never faced this issue.

With Exter, I am either facing back pain or leg pain. Feels like the seat is more sloped towards back than usual which is causing this. So I tried putting some towels at the back to fill the gap and make the seat a bit flatter and seem to help a bit. But towels on a long drive is not very comfortable.

Also tried a wedge shaped pillow which helped for some days but not permanently.

Any suggestions will be really helpful.
You have exactly the same problem that I face in my Ford Aspire. Due a slightly steeper slope towards the back I immediately start to have a lower back pain. And I realised that the problem is not the seat but me since most other folks who drive it have no complaints.

I spent lot on back rests and seat positions but nothing worked long term. What eventually helped is a basic cylindrical towel roll. Roll a big towel and tuck it just above your hips. If your car seat has height adjustment then raising the height is another option that should lower the angle and might be helpful. My problem was so bad that I had thought multiple times to sell off the car only due to the back pain. Hopefully you will not get to that situation due to height adjustment option along with a softer suspension setup. Good luck!
Old 14th February 2024, 12:18   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
You have exactly the same problem that I face in my Ford Aspire. Due a slightly steeper slope towards the back I immediately start to have a lower back pain. And I realised that the problem is not the seat but me since most other folks who drive it have no complaints.

I spent lot on back rests and seat positions but nothing worked long term. What eventually helped is a basic cylindrical towel roll. Roll a big towel and tuck it just above your hips. If your car seat has height adjustment then raising the height is another option that should lower the angle and might be helpful. My problem was so bad that I had thought multiple times to sell off the car only due to the back pain. Hopefully you will not get to that situation due to height adjustment option along with a softer suspension setup. Good luck!
Thank you for the suggestion.

I am in the similar boat. It is so uncomfortable that every day I am thinking of selling it off but I love everything else about Exter.

I went to a car decor shop and asked them if anything can be done. They added a 2 inches thick thermocol sheet at the bottom of the seat to lift it up slightly at the area where it was more sloped. The slope angle has reduced now.

And this has helped a lot. Though it's not 100% solved, but it's much more comfortable now than before. I have even done a 300 km trip after these changes comfortably.

So if anyone else is facing the same issue, you can use the same solution as above.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th April 2024 at 10:55. Reason: typos
Old 15th February 2024, 21:28   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudOne View Post
Thank you for the suggestion.

I went to a car decor shop and asked them if anything can be done. They added a 2 inches thick thermocol sheet at the bottom of the seat to lift it up slightly at the area where it was more sloped. The slope angle has reduced now.

So if anyone else is facing the same issue, you can use the same solution as above.
Can you share a photo of it? How does this thermocol sheet reduces the slope?
Old 17th March 2024, 12:53   #260

Purchase and Initial Experience of Exter SX AMT - 500 kms ownership

I was in-market to buy my first car - preferably an automatic. I had budgeted 10 lakhs for the purchase with some wiggle room. Majority driving is supposed to happen in the city, with a once a month weekend trip (~500 kms). Key options considered were
  • Baleno - While overall car is really great (sales numbers speak) - the front windscreen rake seemed slightly too much as I am used to driving my fathers Kia Sonet. At its minimum the distance between touch screen and IRVM must be ~7 inches. Plus generally low on features
  • Swift - Smaller feeling owing to all black interiors and plus a facelift is expected
  • Swift Dzire - Had owned and driven one as a family car, not so feature rich
  • Honda Amaze - rear seating was cramped with roof being steeply sloping (me and my wife both are 5’10’’ with wide built.
  • I10 - Felt small and low on headroom and sense of space
  • I20 - Close second in choice , but rupee to rupee value comparison against Exter took it down
  • Exter - Finally chose owing to reasons explained in post

I had always loved tall boy designs, loved Wagon R / Santro / Yeti , so Exter felt nice to be in. Hyundai’s great sales / customer service made the choice easier. Review is with Exter SX AMT

Exterior - Well the car looks slightly awkward with tall boxy proportions, relatively narrow track and skinny tyres. While I did not find any mini / micro / nano SUV bits ; the flared wheel arches, upright C pillar and squared front and rear substantiate the look. Longish rear window and convex bulge on roof - make the car look bigger and established. Front “H” DRLs and low set headlamps do the job well and after looking at the new Creta - the design language seems to be more clear. Rear looks are basic, with some piano black elements making it somewhat interesting. Overall the car has great road presence and doesnt feel small or insignificant.

Interiors - The cabin is very well laid out. The dashboard is picked up from i10 / Aura. Overall fit-finish is really good quality, gaps are consistent and acceptable. Most of the plastic is hard, but nothing low quality. Door panels have all plastic components - no fabric inserts anywhere, neither the buttons are illuminated. Overall glass area is really good, and the light coloured headliner improves space perception. The headroom is tremendous, 6 footers sitting in both the front and rear seat will be well catered. Rear roof is scooped from inside giving an outrageous amount of headroom. Seats are very well padded and provide good support ; both rear and front seats.The 8” infotainment display is functional and does a good job. Rear AC vents are well performing. The cabin comes with 4 charging sockets (2x USB A + 2x USB C) and a wireless charging pad.

Drive - Adjustable seat and steering (rake) give great view of the road. Edges of the bonnet are visible , thus making city driving a breeze. Steering and speedo cluster is well laid. All digital for speedo and tacho are very well readable. MID gives all important information such as TPMS, economy, trip computers and general menu to control the screen colours and behaviour. The steering is light in urban setup and weighs up well on highways. The paddle shifters are handy in overtake situations, but not essential. MInd well though the shifters don't really shift till it's reasonably good time (speed+throttle+load). While cornering the body roll is well within control. Suspension is softly sprung and irons most of the bumps and potholes. On highway speeds (90+) there is no floating feel or oscillations. The engine likes to stay calm and composed and absolutely hates any sporty or spirited inputs. If you put your foot down doing say 50 kmph in 5th gear - there is a whole 1 second lag, car will drop 2 or 3 gears and will try to respond. Is it sporty or exciting, no - will get the job done on city or highway - absolutely yes. In the first 500 Kms drive - fuel efficiency is around 13-14 KMPL - slightly lower than expected.

Closing - Car is great choice for first vehicle with city driving focus and occasional outings. Car is great for 4 pax and gives all the features needed with sweeteners like sunroof. 6 Airbags, ABS/EBD/ESC are peace of mind items , with G-NCAP and B-NCAP yet to be tested. Boot space is good but has a slightly higher loading lip.
TheMbaCarGuy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 19:38   #261

Congrats to all Exter owners . I took delivery of Exter SX AMT last month and it had around 400+ kms after a month. My brother, in-laws and my father had taken TD and booked it. I felt the AMT felt very laggy when I drove it first time after delivery. I have heard Hyundai AMT is one of the smoothest around from reviews, but felt utterly disappointed. Since the automatic was mainly for my father, not much non-AMT/Auto choices within 10 Lakh. It seems to hold onto the first gear till around 15 kmph, which felt jerky with my pothole ridden home street, usually taken in 2nd gear in a manual. Mileage meter shows around 13+ kmpl till now.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Exter Review-20240215_171443.jpg  

rajaramgna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 15:53   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajaramgna View Post
It seems to hold onto the first gear till around 15 kmph, which felt jerky with my pothole ridden home street, usually taken in 2nd gear in a manual.
This is a very pertinent point not many people realize or observe before purchasing the car. I have the exact same experience in my Nios AMT as well which shares GB and Engine.

What happens is that the way from my parking to the apartment gate has around 10+ speed brakers at every 50 mtrs as they want cars to go slow. The problem is when you are taking the car out in the morning, the car keeps the speeds at around 10 - 15 kmph in between the speed brakers and holds on to 1st gear and the speed drops to less than 10 while going above them. This constant change of speed from 8 kmph to 15 kmph on 1st gear gives a very jerky ride and I hate this behavior. Unfortunately there is very little that can be done. The savings grace here is that Exter has softer suspensions than Nios so the humps dont create much problem and we try to go as slow as possible.
swarnava.ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 10:19   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
The problem is when you are taking the car out in the morning, the car keeps the speeds at around 10 - 15 kmph in between the speed brakers and holds on to 1st gear and the speed drops to less than 10 while going above them.
Use the paddle shift to move to 2nd in these situations. While I am not fan of paddles in Exter, have seen my son using it in similar situations effectively.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st April 2024 at 10:57. Reason: Punctuation.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 18:10   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Use the paddle shift to move to 2nd in these situations. While I am not fan of paddles in Exter, have seen my son using it in similar situations effectively.
I have tried to use the paddle shifters in both D and M modes, but it does not shift to 2nd atleast until 15-16+ kmph, I think its related to rpm and tuning of the AMT. Similarly, even if it switches to 4th in 40 or 45 or 48 kmph, it shifts to 5th in around 50 kmph, I think that is also per the AMT tuning for mileage I guess.

Again for me, it is ok to tackle. But for my dad, for whom my brother got this automatic, it feels little scary, since in traffic situations, he might get tensed with this jerkiness.
rajaramgna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2024, 11:41   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMbaCarGuy View Post
The paddle shifters are handy in overtake situations, but not essential. MInd well though the shifters don't really shift till it's reasonably good time (speed+throttle+load).

If you put your foot down doing say 50 kmph in 5th gear - there is a whole 1 second lag, car will drop 2 or 3 gears and will try to respond.
How fast can we shift with the paddle shifters? I really like this feature, usually not found with AMT cars in this class. I wish it was available in i10 nios AMT as well.

Edit: I see from the replies the paddle shifters don't work the same way as in performance cars. 🙁

Last edited by Joe367 : 4th April 2024 at 11:47. Reason: Delete
Old 4th April 2024, 14:46   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe367 View Post
How fast can we shift with the paddle shifters? I really like this feature, usually not found with AMT cars in this class. I wish it was available in i10 nios AMT as well.

Edit: I see from the replies the paddle shifters don't work the same way as in performance cars. 🙁
Well these paddle shifters arent anywhere close to a DCT ones. I think the use case here is different, while in 1.5 TSI its to make it sporty, here it is to add convenience. Given engine is slightly underwhelming (4 person load , on a fly-over ramp, it wont shift from 4th gear to 5th), this gives some room to shift. The system tends to hold gears - i dont see a need to shift at 2.5k - 2.8k RPM, can intervene, get some more fuel efficiency.
TheMbaCarGuy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2024, 00:08   #267

Read many of your reviews. I own an Exter AMT since Aug last year. Fairly happy with the car. It took a little time in getting used to its AMT. My main issue is with its TPMS. It always shows me psi in 50s even though I just get it done to about 36. During its first service, I asked those guys to check it but they said everything is fine. Had a front driver side tire blast a few days back on a highway. Not very sure of the reason for that.
Apart from my constant issues with tpms, I'm quite satisfied with the car. My commute to my office includes everything ie city driving, highway, jungle and a ghat section. Gives me a whopping 19kmpl for those 70 kms as per the car computer. Never tried computing it in reality.
Old 15th April 2024, 09:36   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil9811 View Post
My main issue is with its TPMS. It always shows me psi in 50s even though I just get it done to about 36. During its first service, I asked those guys to check it but they said everything is fine. Had a front driver side tire blast a few days back on a highway. Not very sure of the reason for that.
It might be wort reconfirming if the tyre pressure is 50 ps or 30 since you mentioned a tyre blast. I don't remember people complaining about the Exter TPMS while many reported erratic temperature gauge readings.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks