Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
  Search this Thread
427,326 views
Old 8th May 2024, 08:36   #271
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ashis89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,484
Thanked: 11,104 Times
Re: Hyundai Exter Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
Is there a way to turn off the car honk every time the car is locked and unlocked. I find is irritating and disturbing to neighbors. The showroom executive said there is an option to turn the feature off but was unable to demonstrate, except using keys to manually lock and unlock the car each time. This will be a deal breaker for me.
Try pressing the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob simultaneously for 10 seconds (or less). This disables the chime and works for most Hyundai models.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2024, 08:46   #272
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Prayagraj
Posts: 86
Thanked: 172 Times
Re: Hyundai Exter Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Try pressing the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob simultaneously for 10 seconds (or less). This disables the chime and works for most Hyundai models.
Yes this works in exter. I have done it in mine. If it doesn't work search on YouTube and there are many videos which show this for Hyundai.
utkarshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2024, 18:21   #273
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 366
Thanked: 1,588 Times
Re: Hyundai Exter Review

Dear Members,

I had booked my Exter SX(O) Connect Dual Tone White in the month of Feb already. Now that I have completed my Company Leasing process and the Purchase Order is about to be released, my SA tells me that my particular model is still on order and not available yet for allotment. His estimate is sometime early June I may get the model. His point is that they don't have this model readily available as against regular SX.

My two questions to fellow Exter owners -
1. Is it really the case that there is waiting of 4 months ?
2. Is there any way to track if there is really an order pending from Hyundai ?

I plan to go to showroom and meet my SA on Wednesday to request speeding up the allotment.
swarnava.ch is offline  
Old 14th May 2024, 18:03   #274
BHPian
 
forester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 122
Thanked: 674 Times

This is the story of how we – me and my wife – brought home the Exter last month to replace our beloved Baleno 1.2 MT, and the new Alto K10 AGS that we procured last year for my wife to learn driving on.

While the Baleno was exchanged for the Exter at the Hans Hyundai showroom in Moti Nagar, New Delhi, the 5,000km-driven new K10 was handed over to my kid sister-in-law for her to learn driving on. So, the lovely, nimble, and fantastic K10 gets retained in the family.

Hyundai Exter Review-20240412_174904_1.png

The decision-making process – why go from 2 to 1?

The idea stemmed from the fact that both cars were seeing minimal running due to the nature of our work, particularly mine, where I have a work-from-home liberty. The Baleno had only clocked around 20,000km in all of four years, and with the entry of the K10 in the garage, the running dropped even further.

The fact is, I would prefer taking the keys of the K10 on most occasions of visiting the local markets or nearby areas, which remain completely choc-a-bloc due to excessive traffic density in our part of the city. The nifty little car ensured for a stress-free commute during evenings – our typical vehicle usage pattern over the last few years.

With its wide dimensions, and large proportions, the Baleno was a bit too tough to handle in dense traffic conditions, and that is the reason why we took the decision of buying a small automatic for my wife in the first place. Her keen interest to learn driving and become independent, and my constant endeavour to teach her the best practices of defensive driving on our roads, saw her emerge as a good driver within a year.

Heck, we soon realised how much she enjoyed driving, and would veto to take the K10 out most of the times, so that both of us could take the driving duty alternatively. She would usually be the one driving on the onward journey, while I would drive back home. The well-cared-for Baleno was getting neglected significantly, and I would consciously make it a point to keep it running every few days.

Hyundai Exter Review-20240412_174840_2.png

Moreover, with two cars in the garage, I had already started making comparisons as to how the suspension, and handling were so much better in the K10. Maruti Suzuki has just hit it out of the park with the new K10 with its notably better build quality, spacious cabin, a chiller of an AC, and a lovely ride-and-handling setup.

The last-gen Baleno that we had was completely different in nature. Barring the butter smooth 1.2-litre, four-cylinder K12MN, the Baleno’s suspension felt too stiff in comparison, while the steering felt lifeless at anything above 70kph. Perhaps that was one of the key reasons that I did not drive it all that much, and the few inter-city trips that we did during the fuss-free ownership, did not leave me impressed either.

As soon as the Exter was launched last year at a super aggressive pricing, my wife, who had taken a loan on the K10, realised how expensive the entry-level Maruti would cost her at the end of the loan tenure. With an on-road price of Rs 6.10 lakh, the K10 VXi AGS would have cost us Rs 7.5 lakh, at the end of 7 years, if we were to continue dragging the loan till its stipulated time.

The thought of a bare-bones car costing that much did not really strike a chord with her, who would now look for electronically-adjustable ORVMs, a reverse parking camera, and seat height adjustment, as some of the key requirements to become an even better driver, and enhance her confidence.

She was constantly insisting to exchange both the cars for one, and without shelling out anything extra from our pockets, just get one all-rounder that did most of the duties. While the Alto is a perfect city runabout even in today’s age, it will not get you respect, especially on Delhi-NCR's roads due to its size.

We mulled over the idea, and went to see the Exter sometime August last year, but I could simply not fathom the Exter’s looks. However, the better half liked it, and was impressed with its quality and features on offer. I half-heartedly got both our cars evaluated, and obviously, we were getting a big hit on the K10 if we sold it in the first year.

The math – no extra spend

Despite an estimated 25 percent depreciation on the K10, the Exter SX AMT’s Rs 10 lakh on-road pricing meant that we did not have to shell out a single penny from the pocket to make this two-to-one conversion. The annual insurance premium would also remain similar to what we were paying for the two cars. However, I resisted this idea, and preferred having the convenience of two cars, and the choice of an MT and an AMT, in the garage. I was decided in my mind to replace the Baleno a couple of years down the line with a proper automatic.

Hyundai Exter Review-20240412_174508.jpg

My logic prevailed, and we dropped the idea for the interim, with the wife again initiating it sometime end of 2023, when there were lucrative schemes across all brands. We even test drove the Swift, which she loved, but eventually dropped the idea again, as a new one was just around the corner.

I went ahead with the annual insurance renewal of the Baleno in December, and followed it up with the annual servicing in January – its 40,000km service routine – which was done at half the kilometres on the odometer. The car was well maintained and in the pink of its health, and went to its next owner within a week of handing it over to the Hyundai dealership.

Biting the bullet

Come March 2024, and the topic resurfaced. This time, the sister-in-law was returning to Delhi after getting a job transfer from Mumbai, and wanted to learn driving, and had heard several praises about a clutch-less vehicle from my wife. My father-in-law who owns a Swift manual was now being convinced to trade in his car to get an AMT.

While I thought the Exter would suit my in-laws’ requirements to the T, destiny had something else planned for us. My wife came up with the idea of handing over (selling) the K10 to her sister, and letting my FIL retain his Swift for a few more years. Her logic was very clear that my father-in-law would be very hesitant in letting my sister-in-law learn in a brand-new car, and she would miss the chance of learning this vital skill at the right age.

Hyundai Exter Review-20240412_174541_4.png

I found her argument valid, and finally agreed to go ahead with the decision of replacing both our cars – Baleno and K10 – with a single automatic within a budget of Rs 10 lakh. The Hyundai Exter SX AMT was the top consideration since the get go. But…

The selection process

My biggest reluctance in making this switch was coming from the fact that we were considering to get an AMT as the primary car of the household, as one does not get a proper automatic option in the Rs 8-10 lakh price bracket. As it became evident that we will have to take the plunge this time around, I expanded the consideration set, and included the Nissan Magnite CVT, and Honda Amaze CVT in the picture.

While the wife liked the way the Magnite drove, she just stuck to her line on making a prudent choice, and simply staying away from the Nissan brand in India. The Amaze VX CVT, on the other hand, was also falling right in our budget with the sweet end-March deals, but while the seats felt short on thigh support, the front co-passenger footwell was non-accommodating for my height – 5’8".

I felt uncomfortable sitting in the Amaze, and the shortcomings further extended to lack of features such as a shift-lock-release button, auto-folding ORVMs, and six airbags, which eventually Honda made standard in both Elevate and the City, leaving just the current-gen Amaze as is, until the new model arrives. On the other hand, The Fronx Delta Plus AMT was rejected owing to the lack of height adjustment on the driver's seat, and wide exterior dimensions that would make it cumbersome from a manoeuvrability standpoint.

The Tata v/s Hyundai debate

By now, my wife was clear about the Exter, however, I was not coming to terms with the way it looked. I was more inclined towards the much-better-looking Tata Punch, which would still turn heads despite being 3-4 years into the market. So, we were at loggerheads, and decided to give a final test drive to both.

Arranged for a back-to-back test drive, and within the first kilometre, the Tata’s major shortcoming – its lacklustre engine – sealed the deal in favour of the Hyundai. While the ill-tuned AMT in the Punch was a dealbreaker, even the thought of switching from two utterly-reliable Suzukis to a Tata was already sounding a disaster decision in the head.

The Exter truly emerged as the better product between the two after the test drive, albeit its small-sized front seats were the only main gripe I had from a comfort perspective. Even the AMT was very well tuned to suit to city driving conditions, especially the choked situations that we typically encounter on a regular basis.

Hyundai Exter Review-20240410_193323_5.png

I checked with a couple of dealers, and most did not have our preferred colour and trim in stock, and were quoting delivery times of 4-6 weeks. I took this scenario to bring the upcoming Swift and Venue into the picture. While my wife did not like the way the new Swift looked, the Venue S(O) DCT would be a stretch of around Rs 3 lakh, but would also take us to the next segment altogether.

Hyundai Exter Review-20240412_174617.jpg

The Venue has proper seats with adjustable headrests at the front, a much powerful powertrain, and a sexier design. However, given the tight streets in our locality, and an even tighter parking, I thought the Exter with its smaller dimensions would be much more forgiving for a not-so-experienced driver. A month into the ownership, and I would say it was the right choice, as the Exter has taken the duty of a perfect city runabout. Compact, ergonomic, easy to drive, and easy to park.

The car came home on April 10, and completed 1,000km on the clock on May 5, 2024.
Hyundai Exter Review-img_0248.jpg

Here is a list of likes and dislikes

Likes:
• Good build quality – doors are heavy, shut-lines are tight
• Comfortable ride quality – the suspension setup is quite nice
• Stable & decent feedback from the steering that instils confidence
• Relatively spacious, ergonomics are spot on, fit-and-finish is apt
• AMT is extremely well-tuned and makes city driving a breeze
• Decent-sounding sound system, intuitive infotainment UI

Dislikes:
• Small front seats that are better suited for short-heighted people
• Exterior design could have been better; looks awkward from angles
• AC could have been better. Maruti’s AC systems chill the cabin faster
• Lack of front or rear armrests – The Punch offers them in the segment
• NVH levels could be better particularly in terms of the tyre noise inside
• No auto-up driver window switch, no illumination for doorpad switches

Some key observations

Overall, the Exter comes across as a very thoughtful product with several usable features - TPMS, auto-folding ORVMs, rear camera - that do aid day-to-day city driving, making commutes a relaxing, enjoyable, efficient, and a tireless affair, barring the slight discomfort which is caused by the front seat back which feels a bit too stiff.

We have put it through various scenarios over the last month, including an airport run, which showcased the practicality of the well-designed boot. It was able to take a medium- and a small-sized suitcase, along with a couple of duffle bags, with ease. However, I would have really liked the inclusion of a 60:40-split rear seat, which enhances the practicaility even further.

Moreover, the infotainment system came as a sweet surprise. The UI is extremely easy to use while on the go, and the presence of physical buttons is a boon! Not everytime is one in a mood to reduce or increase the volume by the steering-mounted button, and we are really enjoying this old-school experience. Furthermore, the convenience to pair two phones simultaneously, and switch between either of them with the touch of an icon on the screen is fantastic!

Hyundai Exter Review-20240512_152717_8.png

While I initially did not like the sound quality on the TD vehicle, the speakers do not sound all that bad in our car. With a few tweaks of the equaliser, and a Spotify premium account, the bass and clarity are quite good. We are enjoying our music, and despite the presence of any tweeters, the sound quality is likely to appeal to many. The call quality over Bluetooth is absolutely crystal clear.

The wired smarphone projection also means that the phone battery does not drain when paired over Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. Both offer seamless pairing, and functionality when connected to the infotainment unit.

The SX variant comes across as the most VFM choice in the Exter line-up, and while the sunroof is a vanity in this segment, it does give an airier feel to the cabin with the sunshade retracted. I do make it a point to open the sunroof by tilting it if I am entering the car parked outside on a hot afternoon. With a tallboy design, however, cleaning the roof properly is a tough task!

The car has met most of our requirements quite well, and has proven to be a good choice. The 1.2-litre Kappa engine is very refined and tractable, and the overall fuel efficiency is ranging between 13 and 14kpl with a mix of excessive traffic and relatively light (early-morning Delhi-Gurugram runs) traffic scenarios. In fact, the car returns an excellent 19-20kpl during some morning runs to the Cybercity. Overall, would give it a score of 8/10.

A few size comparison shots:

A size smaller than its sibling Sonet but still feels spacious on the inside
Hyundai Exter Review-20240411_184225_6.png

The Exter gets some of its design lineage from the Santro. The tallboy stance, rear windshield design, and even the rear quarter glass design has been inspired from its predecessor.
Hyundai Exter Review-20240411_173806_7.png
forester is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 20:35   #275
BHPian
 
SS80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 252
Thanked: 945 Times
Re: Hyundai Exter Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by forester View Post
This is the story of how we – me and my wife – brought home the Exter last month to replace our beloved Baleno 1.2 MT and the new Alto K10 AGS that we procured last year for my wife to learn driving on.

The tallboy stance, rear windshield design, and even the rear quarter glass design have been inspired by its predecessor.
Attachment 2605207
Congrats on your purchase, my cousin too purchased it. Grey SX AMT a few months back and have driven it. Some points to consider.

1. I agree that it's a great package and the service too would be cheaper than expected, as its roots are from the i10.
2. The headlight throw and power are pathetic, partly the reason for this is the design. It's not a H4 or H1 type bulb. It's a single filament bulb with a metal flap that blocks light on a low beam and opens up fully for a high beam.
3. Upgrading the bulb is a must If you are driving regularly at night or on highways
4. tyre pressure is best kept at 29 or 30 psi.
5. The Hyundai service maintenance package was value for money.
6. Simple NA engine with 80bhp is more than enough for majority of buyers and saves from costly turbo/intercooler replacement costs in the long run.

Enjoy your drive.
SS80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 21:44   #276
BHPian
 
forester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 122
Thanked: 674 Times
Re: Hyundai Exter Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS80 View Post
Congrats on your purchase, some points to consider.

2. The headlight throw and power are pathetic, partly the reason for this is the design. It's not a H4 or H1 type bulb. It's a single filament bulb with a metal flap that blocks light on a low beam and opens up fully for a high beam.
3. Upgrading the bulb is a must If you are driving regularly at night or on highways
Hi SS80, thanks very much!

Yes, I agree with your point regarding the sub-optimal headlight performance. I totally forgot to highlight it in my post. It is just average for city usage at low beam, but the high-beam has good throw and intensity.

However, over the last few years of driving an LED projector-equipped car, I have come to realise that I prefer yellow light in the headlight over white, which tends to strain my eyes. Since most upgrades are for white LEDs, is it possible to switch to a better-performing yellow bulb in the existing projector setup? Please do let me know.
forester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 08:46   #277
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 6
Thanked: 26 Times
Re: Hyundai Exter Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashgo View Post
Have anyone bought after market accessories for Exter? I am thinking of buying a good set of seat covers, sun shades, Boot mat and floor mats. Hyundai Mobis website have few options but they seem expensive and not worth the money. Please suggest other good accessories as well. Thanks in advance.
Hi
I did buy seat covers, sunshades, boot mat and floor mats. If you are in Bangalore then for seat covers there are couple of options: Either you can order from Elegant by visiting their showroom or order online and get it fitted free at their showroom in off JC road or get it stiched from Structure car seats in Koramangla. For floor mats and sunshades you can get very good quality ones directly from GFX office close to JC road.
sahsriv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 20:59   #278
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4
Thanked: 32 Times
Re: Hyundai Exter Review

Hi, Has anyone upgraded the headlights? I've been doing a lot of highway driving, and the stock light is very poor. Not giving me the confidence to drive at night. Any advice on the brands and watts to use would be greatly appreciated.
Samurai92 is offline  
Old 29th May 2024, 11:53   #279
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 6
Thanked: 26 Times
Re: Hyundai Exter Review

Hi
I wanted to make one correction / clarification regarding my earlier post on accessories. The GFX office is actually the distributor office for GFX products in Bangalore. The distributor name is Siddi Automotive (Phone: 080 4169 5736), you can google the address, they have good accessories for Exter at wholesale prices, cheaper than online. Only thing, narrow roads and parking could be a challenge in the locality.


Also since I am new to Team BHP, I cant still post replies to private message, kindly bear with me.
sahsriv is offline  
Old 29th May 2024, 12:05   #280
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 6
Thanked: 26 Times
Re: Hyundai Exter Review

I just replaced stock head lamps with 50 W 4300K OSRAM LED headlights, cost about Rs 6,500/- and it makes a world of difference.
Only thing is, white LEDs have limitations while driving in dense fogs, where yellow light gives better visibility. However when we drove in ghat sections in Karnataka in December it was still ok and helped a lot.

The good thing is, just upgrading the bulb is easier without any modifications.
Also for more information, there is a very good thread, kindly refer to URL below:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...pgrades-3.html (Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades)
sahsriv is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks