Interior:

Hyundai Exter Review-img_8669.jpg

Hyundai Exter Review-img_8670.jpg

Hyundai Exter Review-img_8642.jpg
alok9345 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 11:57   #92
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Exter Review

Test drove Exter yesterday. My brother is in lookout for a city car and since he is kind of Hyundai fanboy we thought we can TD Exter.

Below is my observation as a current Hyndai Xcent(2014) owner. I also drive Elite i20 and Creta P very often as we are a multi car garage. Since my Xcent and Exter uses the same engine I thought I'd drive first and give him my opinion.

Variant we drove : SX(O) Connect variant

Negatives for me:
- Car looks are okay-ish. Panel gaps were not consistent and I can see some misalignments in bonnet area. Never see such sight in Hyundai car. May be problem with TD vehicle?
- Quality in comparison with my Xcent feels like downgrade. Interior quality of my Xcent at 2014 beats Exter's hands down.
- Freaking expensive for what it offers.
- Exhilarating performance that my Xcent offered in 3rd gear is gone. The power is linear throughout and un-enthusiastic to drive. Better for mature and sedate drivers.
- Transmission tunnel is huge compared to Xcent and it makes the 3rd passenger in the back sit in awkward knee position. This killed the joy of extra shoulder room it offers.
- Base variant is too basic. It is like Hyundai has this variant only to show low sticker price and the lower variant can be best termed as "Plain rice without any gravy or sides".

Positives:
- Engine drivability has improved leaps and bounds. Riding in city traffic doesn't require much gear shifts. Drove in speeds of 35-30 kmph in 3rd gear without lugging. Which is not possible with my Xcent.
- Gearshifts felt bit sticky compared to my Xcent which is butter smooth. Clutch is about the same as Xcent and is light to operate.
- Steering is super light compared to Xcent and it makes the ride even more easier.
- Tall and spacious compared to Xcent. Shoulder room has improved a lot. We were 5 in our Xcent yesterday. When we sit in the back of Xcent our shoulder rub with each other and we feel uncomfortable. But with Exter, shoulder room is great and same set of people who sat in Xcent said they felt good in the back of Exter. Hell, even I sat in the back for a while and it was better. May be they learned the space management from Tata cars?
- Suspension is well sorted(in city) compared to my Xcent or even our Elite i20 which we sold recently. No more big thud in medium potholes. In fact, I intentionally rode over a small potholes and Exter didn't give the huge iconic Hyundai thud and although it was felt, it is not as bad as it was in our cars. Only Creta surpasses Exter in this aspect.

Verdict?

Well after TD, we felt good about Exter but after price revealed by SA, we were put-off. Decently specc-ed "S" variant costs about 8.4L OTR and for the same price, i20 Magna beats it hands down. And i20 has some good offers running. My brother decided to go ahead with i20 Magna, which apart from loosing additional 4 airbags, has a lot more to offer. Also, it looks & feel premium and spacious.

Will I buy Exter? If it was for me, I would choose Exter once the discounts started rolling in, and only as a secondary car. I can't see it as highway cruiser and for the short highway run that we did, it didn't impressed me as a long distance cruiser. Overtaking vehicles is much better in my Xcent compared to Exter as Xcent offered the push needed to overtake where Exter is taking a linear approach in that. Which made us crawl behind vehicles more than we would have. If exter comes with Turbo-Petrol, well I might even consider it but for someone who strictly need a second car which see most of it's life in City, Exter is one of the option. Well, that's just my view!

Last edited by xcentrk : 31st July 2023 at 12:01. Reason: changes
xcentrk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 13:08   #93
Senior - BHPian

Had a quick look at the Exter which was displayed at the Phoenix mall, Bangalore.

First up, going by all the pictures, videos and reviews i had seen so far, i had a feeling that the Exter would visually look bigger than the Punch due to its much more evident body cladding etc ( although in terms of actual dimensions both the cars are almost the same), but the Exter is actually no bigger in person and it is actually very diminutive in size. So in terms of road presence, the Exter is no better than the Punch ( i would rate the Punch a bit better actually ).

Step inside and its all too familiar since the interiors are almost the same as the Nios. But the interior quality feels cheap, plastics dont feel durable, power window buttons etc feel too basic ( im not sure how these compare to the Nios).

My Wife has an Elite i20 and i would say its 2 steps better than the Exter in terms of quality of materials used.

So, the Exter is well kitted, is decently priced, but its not an alternative to an i20 or Baleno etc. Its an upgrade from cars like the Alto, Kwid, Celerio etc, but not otherwise. Its built to a cost, almost like how Nissan and Renault have come up with the Triber and the likes.
motorworks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 13:12   #94
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
So, the Exter is well kitted, is decently priced, but its not an alternative to an i20 or Baleno etc. Its an upgrade from cars like the Alto, Kwid, Celerio etc, but not otherwise. Its built to a cost, almost like how Nissan and Renault have come up with the Triber and the likes.
Their design choices suggest the same, they seem to be targeting both WagonR and Punch with one car. It is more of a WagonR competitor than Punch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcentrk View Post
- Car looks are okay-ish. Panel gaps were not consistent and I can see some misalignments in bonnet area. Never see such sight in Hyundai car. May be problem with TD vehicle?
- Quality in comparison with my Xcent feels like downgrade. Interior quality of my Xcent at 2014 beats Exter's hands down.
Came across a green color Exter yesterday, observed the same, panel gaps are inconsistent, especially around rear three-quarters area, and the styling of the rear is hard to digest. That roof stepping up and then stepping down as it approaches spoiler and weird design of the spoiler, altogether quickly lost interest in the design. So many design elements at the rear make it worse, overall, this design in my opinion doesn't age well with time. The part of the car I am talking about:

Name:  hyundai exter ugly rear.png
Views: 1475
Size:  427.8 KB

Last edited by wheelguy : 31st July 2023 at 13:15.
wheelguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 16:00   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Step inside and its all too familiar since the interiors are almost the same as the Nios. But the interior quality feels cheap, plastics dont feel durable, power window buttons etc feel too basic ( im not sure how these compare to the Nios).
When Grand i10 & Xcent was introduced in 2014, it swooped me in by the luxurious looking interiors and the quality compared to the alternates. It set the benchmark at that time. But Exter was like, Hyundai doesn't even want to try and sell whatever it puts together. Yeah, I know for the price cheap plastics are a given, but at least they should make it like how they used to do.

Quote:
My Wife has an Elite i20 and i would say its 2 steps better than the Exter in terms of quality of materials used.
Elite i20 is much better in terms of even new-gen i20. Nevertheless Exter was intentionally priced as to overlap with i20 so there will sales in terms for i20? Just a thought from my end.

Quote:
Well said. Use case for Exter might be ground clearance or tall stance for those who stay at cities with poor roads. And for someone who is looking for second car with the same requirement. Top of the line Exter prices are eating into i20 region and I'd rather get i20 for the price rather than Exter.
xcentrk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 21:39   #96
BHPian

I got my Sx o connect dual tone khaki Exter yesterday. I liked the ride, it is for my wife. However, I drive Ecosport and nothing beats it in driving.
utkarshgoel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 21:26   #97
BHPian

A car review that is a bit unconventional, interesting nonetheless.

The closing remark is definitely thought provoking.
Emvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 18:11   #98
BHPian

There is a marked resemblance between the two.

Last edited by gjnnbagal : 3rd August 2023 at 18:12.
Old 3rd August 2023, 19:33   #99
BHPian

Is it just me or does Exter actually seems like a new WagonR? ( in terms of purpose served, not the looks)
Old 3rd August 2023, 20:26   #100

Today I bought my first new car, the SX AMT. I hadn't slept in 3 or 4 days since I was nervous about the big day. Thank God, everything went smoothly, and it's now safely parked in my parking lot.

Hyundai Exter Review-mycar.jpg
Samurai92 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 21:08   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai92 View Post
Today I bought my first new car, the SX AMT. I hadn't slept in 3 or 4 days since I was nervous about the big day. Thank God, everything went smoothly, and it's now safely parked in my parking lot.

Attachment 2485232
Congratulations Samurai92. Hope you have a fuss free and memorable experience. Can't wait to hear more about it.
I would recommend you to get a Ceramic coating done to maintain the shine of your vehicle
ssoni.1411 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 21:09   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alok9345 View Post
Exterior
The Red suits the design. I liked the Fiery red in venue too. I would advice you to go for PPF if your budget permits or at least get ceramic coating done to protect the paint

Last edited by libranof1987 : 4th August 2023 at 19:20. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly quoted only relevant sections of the post.
Old 3rd August 2023, 21:39   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
This looks like yet another blockbuster from Hyundai!

Apart from the obvious base model pricing (which as many say won't ever see production), they have matched Punch in most variants even though they are a bit ahead feature-wise.

But my question is totally off-topic. Hyundai is already on the third shift in their current plant and they could not buy any of the Ford plants. This means that assuming they dispatch 10K Exter at least the first few months to show the world that it is selling as well as Punch, they will need to de-prioritize these numbers from other cars.

So who is going to bear the brunt? I am assuming production will be cut from all models so that it doesn't look too bad overall. The obvious choice will be Grand I10 as they share the same assembly line. But their dispatches have already been too low and they can't risk reducing it too much. Venue is one car that they can make way for Exter. I am looking at a substantial drop in the dispatch of Venue for the next few months. Creta is the cash cow so they won't touch it. Verna is too new to disturb. Alcazar's numbers are already low. The next possibility is to cut the volume from I20. With Altroz CNG, Tata is hoping to dispatch more cars into showrooms than I20. Hyundai needs to ensure that it reads the market very carefully.

Everyone including Hyundai, needs to learn from MSIL how meticulously they plan these things.
This is what I had predicted in the Exter thread last month. Look at the dispatch of i10 Nios for the month of July. They cut it down by 50%! Even Venue got cut by 15%. Hyundai desperately needs a new factory.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Exter Review-jul_dispatch.jpg  

Old 8th August 2023, 08:01   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai Exter EV spied for the first time .

Hyundai Exter Review-hyundaiexterelectricspiedlaunchprice2768x749.jpg

Hyundai Exter Review-hyundaiexterelectricspiedlaunchprice1768x496.jpg

Quote:
Hyundai is currently working on Casper EV, which could have similarities with Exter EV.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th August 2023 at 08:03.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 12:21   #105
BHPian

Got to test drive 2 cars today and one of them was the Exter AMT (done 1,200km) which I will try and compare to the cars I have briefly driven.

1. Tons of space on the inside, and it's well packaged. My Swift fells like a shoebox in comparison but still has more comfy front seats. Plenty of rear legroom even with a tall driver

2. Super AC. Throw from blower on position 1 is like 3 on my Swift and it's quiet.

3. Composed ride. Much better than my Swift and also better than the Ignis I drove some time back

4. Brakes had better bite and feel than the Verna 1.5T M!!

5. Irritating head nod in D mode. A lot more than the iMT I tried in the Sonet.

6. Head nod is worse in M mode with paddles if one wants to drive in a spirited manner. The lag between gears when upshifting was huge but going down greats was almost immediate.

7. I have no idea what horses hundai measures but the car just doesn't move under hard acceleration. My Swift feels like a Porsche compared to the Exter.

8. All cars I saw had JK tyres

It's a great little car if one doesn't push it. Have my doubts on how easy it will be to pass others on the highway.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th August 2023 at 22:40. Reason: Non forum characters
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks