Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2023, 18:14   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Exter Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Beauty (or Ugliness) I guess lies in the eye of the beholder.
Personally I thought the car looks very nice.
Especially when viewed at these angles.
You already answered yourself. For me it looks bad, others may like it very much. Rear quarter of the car is overdone IMHO. But again, people may like it.
Old 25th July 2023, 19:52   #77
BANNED

Great pricing by Hyundai .

But is it something beyond high seating and raised Bonnnet?
Getsetgo123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 18:56   #78
BANNED

Had visited the local showroom, at a distance it's appearance is not that tall,and the tophalf appears to have been pulled up.The seating position is still like a hatchback ,unlike the Punch.It would have been better if the lower half had beefed up.
Old 26th July 2023, 19:22   #79
BHPian

We are on the lookout for a medium sized car which should be easy to drive, seat 5 average adults and do the occasional outstation trip.

Test Drove the AMT version of Exter today and the TC AT version of the Fronx yesterday. Expectations were low from the former but high for the latter but it turned out opposite.

Felt the Exter to be the better engineered car in areas that mattered to me- Great road clearance, easy ingress and egress, decent backset comfort, decent suspension, no lag in gear changes, adequate pickup, useful features and well ventilated and comfortable backseat. Boot space was adequate for the segment. The only two areas not up to the mark were 1) looks which were mediocre (which I don't care much about) and 2) NVH levels (which I care about)
My dad who also TDed it was keen on booking, but I have asked him to hold off as this car will need to go on the occasional highway trip , my concerns being the average noise insulation unsure safety ratings.

Felt the Fronx AT was not very smooth and the backseat also felt cramped due to the low roof.
Old 27th July 2023, 11:24   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jattitude View Post
We currently own a Tata Harrier and a Tigor EV and were looking for a small city hatchback/ equivalent in AT, primarily for my wife. My wife and I test-drove the following cars in the past fortnight: (Booked the Hyundai Exter SX AMT at the end of the experience)
Got the Exter SX AMT home yesterday. The initial ownership review will be out soon.
Jattitude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 13:50   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Got the Exter SX AMT home yesterday. The initial ownership review will be out soon.
Congratulations! I have booked mine 2 weeks ago and was told that the delivery would be after 12-14 weeks. When did you book yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRider View Post

Felt the Fronx AT was not very smooth and the backseat also felt cramped due to the low roof.
I had this faint thought about considering Fronx. But if TC is not smooth, it makes no sense to pour that much money into it. Having said that, I think both Fronx and Exter would probably score same in the safety ratings. Exter could have a tiny bit of advantage over Fronx.

Note from Support: Please take of the following while posting. Thank you for your support
1- Quote only relevant portions of a post
2- Use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
3- Proper capitalisation (e.g. i=I)

Last edited by Eddy : 27th July 2023 at 13:58. Reason: Note Inline
Old 27th July 2023, 15:13   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashgo View Post
Congratulations! I have booked mine 2 weeks ago and was told that the delivery would be after 12-14 weeks. When did you book yours?
Thank you! I had booked a lower variant pre-launch but wanted to upgrade to SX or SX-DT (AMT) post-launch. I was told the same as you regarding the probable waiting period for the upgraded variant. Luckily, another customer cancelled his/ her SX booking for an SX-DT variant, and we were offered this SX AMT in Khaki green. Since my payment was ready, they offered this vehicle to me. We had modified our booking on the 13th of July and were offered this SX AMT on the 18th of July.

Last edited by Jattitude : 27th July 2023 at 15:15.
Jattitude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 21:12   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getsetgo123 View Post
Great pricing by Hyundai .

But is it something beyond high seating and raised Bonnnet?
All must have and necessary features. A brilliant engine which will serve you well for city and occasional highway runs and brilliant fuel economy. Also considerably safer than the Maruti stable
ssoni.1411 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 10:55   #84

Quote:
Congratulations, Sir. I was just curious as to which accessories you purchased from the showroom. My car is in transit, according to my SA.

Regards,
Samurai92
Old 28th July 2023, 11:12   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai92 View Post
Congratulations, Sir. I was just curious as to which accessories you purchased from the showroom. My car is in transit, according to my SA.

Regards,
Samurai92
Hi! None. I’m strictly against purchasing showroom accessories. Further, I ensured that the insurance offered was less than or equivalent to market rates.

Last edited by Jattitude : 28th July 2023 at 11:13. Reason: Missed a space. #Grammarnazi
Jattitude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 12:12   #86
BHPian

Great Review. I personally think the Punch looks much better due to it's cohesive design which doesn't feel like it has been derived from another car platform and stretched or modified (boxy proporations.etc) where ever possible to make it look like a mini SUV, unlike the Exter. Tata has come a long way in design now and their products definitely feel desirable from looks point of view. The only two things they are now lacking are Interior quality/attention to details and engine! Engine being a very weak link in their arsenal! If they can somehow get these two things right, I would personally prefer the TATAs over the Hyundai's despite lesser features which purely contribute towards wow factor (head's up display, dashcam.etc; for the price offcourse).

Nothing to take away from the awesome product line from the Koreans, but they along with Suzuki lack effort towards crash safety (the costs of which they might be managing in giving the colossal features list).
Paavan Shetty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 13:38   #87
BHPian

Finally took the delivery of Fiery Red Exter SX MT.

Some quick background : We are from a Tier 3 town and the Exter replaces our 12 year old Wagon R and primarily is going to be a highway car for my grandparents. We evaluated multiple cars (Baleno, Punch, Fronx, Exter, Nios) and our decision revolved around ease of ingress and egress (for 80+ yr olds), availability and ease of service and spares, safety features and importantly, it should cost us around 8L (yes, that's where it started !)

How did we decide on Exter? Or rather dismissed others!

Baleno - low hung seating was uncomfortable for my grandma to get into back seat. My brother in law owns one and I've had many chances to test this

Punch - Loved the car, but the engine kept wanting for more and NVH levels weren't all that great. However, the final nail in the coffin has been my personal experience and multiple horror stories with Tata ASS. I just couldn't imagine my grandparents going through this hassle and even when Tata doesn't have a showroom or service center in our town.

Fronx - Was upbeat about this higher up baleno and thought it could be a perfect balance for us, the pricing with respect to features was completely off and didn't make the cut for us. The Delta 1.2 MT would've costed us well upwards of 9L with lesser features than the Exter. The Zeta was most desirable, but upwards of 10L, didn't make sense. Styling was better though!

Nios - Stil low hung, uncomfortable ingress/egress. Less space.

Exter - Disappointed by Fronx pricing, quickly moved to pre-book the Exter. Styling was a hit and a miss for me, but I liked most bits of it. The pricing when launched was appetizable, with SX costing us around 9L on road.

Exterior:
Absolutely love the combination of red and black. I am glad they didn't offer the dual tone in red, else I would've been tempted for the alloys, but this single tone combination is absolutely smashing. I love the front of the car, the H DRLs are pretty cool, the grill comes out well and the overall styling from front and side looks good. However, all said and done, I don't think there's any way one can like the back of this car. It's even more polarizing in person. I am not even sure what were they thinking, but it's like it's been cut with a knife from the back.

Will add some photos shortly. Writing this on the way back to Bangalore!!

Interior:
Another thing I love about Hyundai, is that with cheap plastic also, they'll get a better quality in knobs and buttons than a 20L tata. The combination of fabric and leather in seats feels good and breathable. They'll be easier to clean as well in my opinion. The white/beige/silver portion in the dashboard breaks the black monotony and the beige headliner alongwith sunroof adds a sense of space. There's ample legroom and seat depth in the back for a family with average height of 5.5-5.6".

Front seats are comfortable as well, with decent lumbar and thigh support, again for this avergae family height. Instrument cluster is pretty good for this price range and doesn't have 2000 things going on - plain and simple. MID is larger and crisper than my Nexon EV Max.

Engine, Refinement and other nit-bits:
Engine noise is quite noticeable. It also could be more noticeable to me due to my adjustment to my EV, but it's there, at all times. The noise was more noticeable initially, but it settled quite quickly post a long trip we had the next day. It does feel underpowered in higher gears (2nd and 3rd), in case you need a quick burst of power, say to overtake.

The handling is typical hyundai - dead in the city, but weighs up on highways and at higher speeds, and that's when the feedback is pretty connected.

The cruise works flawlessly, and probably better than my Nexon EV. It creeps up the power linearly, doesn't pressure the engine and works as it is supposed to, with decent fuel efficiency.

Talking about fuel efficiency, could derive an average of ~16kmpl over ~400kms with 4 adults on the manual even with bad roads, construction related deviations, water logging and the infamous NH8 traffic. I would say it is pretty commendable for a new petrol car.

Although I do miss the dynamic lines on the reverse camera, it doesn't hamper usage for this size of the car.

Music system is loud and clear, but doesn't have the oomph that is now becoming standard in most cars, but maybe not this segment, i am unsure on the comparison here.

I didn't miss the center armrest as this one is a manual and I have a habit of resting my hand on the gear lever.

Biggest win: Grandma needs no assistance to get in or get out from this car.

Overall: I don't think anything else is a more complete package, having said that, Punch wouldn't need to lose it's sleep because it is very much at par with definitely better styling, but let down by pathetic ASS.

I'm not delving into my delivery experience, it was pretty much the usual business and we did find a connect with the owners and things went without a hitch. I did pay 5k for accessories and was surprised to know they don't have any at the moment and would be giving these later. I am going to go for the scoops!

For everyone's benefit, don't let anyone sell you basic fabric floor mats - they come along with the car from the factory.
alok9345 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 15:45   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alok9345 View Post

Will add some photos shortly. Writing this on the way back to Bangalore!!
Congratulations alok9345! Waiting for the photos of Red Exter.
Old 31st July 2023, 10:31   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alok9345 View Post
Congratulations alok9345. Eagerly waiting to see the Exter in Fiery Red. Hope you have a fuss free ownership.
Old 31st July 2023, 10:33   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai92 View Post

Regards,
Samurai92
My advice would be to at least get Door Visors and Mud flaps OEM fitted.
ssoni.1411 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks