Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2009, 21:35   #916
ashwinpak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinpak View Post
Punto acceleration figures are truly depressing. Not just for the diesel but for the petrol too. Compare this:
__________0-100____20-80
---------------------------
Linea D____15.04s___11.86s
Punto D___ 17.84s___12.57s
Linea P____15.14s___14.04s
Punto P___ 16.58s___14.11s

Figures were taken from Autocar mag.
Bought Top Gear Aug issue. It mentions Punto D's 0-100 figures as 15.7s. Better than the Autocar and Overdrive figures. But still the Punto deserves the VGT. Hope it is not too far away. Do I see a sport version coming?

Old 6th August 2009, 23:31   #917
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant summarisation

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
I'll take this opportunity to summarise the last 3-4 pages (each page could accomodate only 4-6 posts !!)
  • Petes box is hazardous in India as its not tested in India but abroad/ Europe. All t-bhpians who has fitted petes are requested to pull it out (many more reasons are explained in last 3-4 pages in details).
  • Petes box is considered to be used by those whose car "lacks" power or by those who choose the car that they think doens't have the power that "they want" and then add "extra stuff" to get the required power for normal driving that is, not for racing and stuff.
    Those who've still fitted it in other powered cars must be considered racing types & not enthusiasts
  • Engines manufactured in India are bad in quality for the materials used to build it. Today, I'll call all my relatives, colleagues, neighbours & advise them to throw away their cars with such engines & will advise them to buy only Hyundai cars.
  • Then I'll advise all of them to import fuel & use only that imported fuel in their new Hyundai cars since Hyundai engines are not detuned & Indian fuel is not that good to use in engines which are not detuned
  • Guys-Need your help though. Pls let me know all cars (I guess other MFRs also detune their cars) where engines are detuned so that when I call my near & dear ones, I know exactly what they should be aprised of
I loved this post! Pithy, brief and did a brilliant job of what it stated it would do - i.e. summarise the last few pages but above all it was absolutely hilarious.

Way to go @ Vahan

Cheers,
Old 6th August 2009, 23:39   #918
BHPian

Quote:
Do I see a sport version coming?
a sport diesel version we don't even have any sporty petrols yet
on 2nd thought, in an 'average kitna hai' country, a diesel sports car maybe best for a mileage+enthusiast person who wants to show off mileage and power gonna miss the top end 'rev the nuts off' of a petrol though!
Old 7th August 2009, 10:41   #919
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The box is engine specific not car specific. This box looks to be MJD engine specific, and all cars which have this engine will benefit from a petes box.
Petes box will increase power, and there is ample evidence of that, but manufacturer has every right to void warranty if you put any power boxes, petes or otherwise
I think this brilliant brief post went unnoticed amidst the clutter of many long long posts.

If Petes box is Engine specific & not car specific, then all theories taking it as "Swift's Pete box" as a basis comes to a naught.

Quote:
Bought Top Gear Aug issue. It mentions Punto D's 0-100 figures as 15.7s. Better than the Autocar and Overdrive figures. But still the Punto deserves the VGT. Hope it is not too far away. Do I see a sport version coming?
Oh. Another Mag & another different 0-100 figure

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th August 2009 at 14:48. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 7th August 2009, 11:02   #920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas8700 View Post
@^

if my assumptions are not there then why did Fiat detune??

please do explain why they did it? maybe because they dont want indians to have more power?
Not true. Fiat Linea, for instance, was internationally available with 77 bhp petrol before they added 1.4 T-jet petrol. Fiat got something in between, i.e. 90 bhp. I'm sure, they will bring in more powerful engines once there is enough market and competition. Same case for all manufacturers except for a few exceptions from any manufacturers.
Old 7th August 2009, 11:51   #921
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Oh. Another Mag & another different 0-100 figure
No two drivers can match the 0-100 timings. Even the same driver will have different timings for different runs. Thats why the figures quoted are "that drivers" best figures.
So if you have a better driver, you will get a better figure.
For example, if ordinary users test it, it will give around 17 seconds of 0-100 time.
If ordinary users go out to test a ferrari, they will probably stall it multiple times and post 0-100 times similar to an octy RS.

Thats why in most auto mag tests roll on timings are very close, however 0-100 times vary significantly.
The variation will also depend upon gearing.
For example in case of esteem, 100kmph is achievable in second gear, so just 1 gear shift is needed, this will mean the timing variation will be very less, however if you require to be in gear 3 for 100kmph, variation will be a lot more.
Old 7th August 2009, 12:09   #922
BHPian

Quote:
No two drivers can match the 0-100 timings. Even the same driver will have different timings for different runs. Thats why the figures quoted are "that drivers" best figures.
For example, if ordinary users test it, it will give around 17 seconds of 0-100 time.
If ordinary users go out to test a ferrari, they will probably stall it multiple times and post 0-100 times similar to an octy RS.

Thats why in most auto mag tests roll on timings are very close, however 0-100 times vary significantly.
For example in case of esteem, 100kmph is achievable in second gear, so just 1 gear shift is needed, this will mean the timing variation will be very less, however if you require to be in gear 3 for 100kmph, variation will be a lot more.
Absolutely agree with you. Infact, you would also find the same mag quoting 2 times for 0-100Kmph over 2 issues for the same car.

However, I am not sure as per the Esteem example you have quoted, doing 100Kmph in 2nd gear is the fastest way to hit 100Kmph. In fact I have done 100kmph in 2nd gear in my SX4 (fuel cuts off after this), but I have felt doing 0-100Kmph with 2nd gear upto 70-80Kmph and then moving to 3rd gear to reach 100Kmph is faster than directly doing it in 2nd gear. I am not sure as I have never measured, but it essentially involves extracting the optimum juice in each gear
Old 7th August 2009, 12:23   #923
BANNED

Quote:

Excellent!! Then 0-100 figures thrown out by different mags for different cars do not make much of a sense as they can not be exact or accurate for the cars would have been driven by different drivers or in different conditions.
It can give only indication. But I can imagine how even those indications can go horribly wrong e.g. 2 different conditions/ driving style mentioned for Esteem in above 2 posts.

Last edited by VahanPujari : 7th August 2009 at 12:24.
Old 7th August 2009, 12:42   #924
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post

However, I am not sure as per the Esteem example you have quoted, doing 100Kmph in 2nd gear is the fastest way to hit 100Kmph. In fact I have done 100kmph in 2nd gear in my SX4 (fuel cuts off after this), but I have felt doing 0-100Kmph with 2nd gear upto 70-80Kmph and then moving to 3rd gear to reach 100Kmph is faster than directly doing it in 2nd gear. I am not sure as I have never measured, but it essentially involves extracting the optimum juice in each gear
The esteem when it came out, was one of a kind. 2nd kms in 100kmph was possible because because top speed in 2nd gear was 110kmph vbox indicated. 3rd went to 145kmph
The reason was a ridiculously tall 2nd gear. I did not believe Auto India(Th ebest car mag and the only good one 1996-1997 timeframe), and took my friends esteem on the highway. We hit 50kmph in first gear, shifted to second and it screamed all the way to 115 on the speedo in second gear. It was 1.3 carb model, I would call it India's fist supercar
Quote:
Excellent!! Then 0-100 figures thrown out by different mags for different cars do not make much of a sense as they can not be exact or accurate for the cars would have been driven by different drivers or in different conditions.
It can give only indication. But I can imagine how even those indications can go horribly wrong e.g. 2 different conditions/ driving style mentioned for Esteem in above 2 posts.
I repeat the point I made earlier. In a family hatch 1-2 seconds here and there does not make a different. These cars are not for drag racing or track racing. So good build, good comfort, average or above average handling, adequate performance, Good FE is all what defines a good car.
Punto is a winner in all these counts. Reliability and After sales service is something only time will tell. So if customers are happy with Tata-Fiat, they will tell their friends to buy one, otherwise fiat will go down again!
Old 7th August 2009, 12:46   #925
BANNED

Quote:
I repeat the point I made earlier. In a family hatch 1-2 seconds here and there does not make a different. These cars are not for drag racing or track racing. So good build, good comfort, average or above average handling, adequate performance, Good FE is all what defines a good car.
Punto is a winner in all these counts. Reliability and After sales service is something only time will tell. So if customers are happy with Tata-Fiat, they will tell their friends to buy one, otherwise fiat will go down again!
Couldn't agree more on any of the words.
Old 7th August 2009, 12:50   #926
Senior - BHPian

I will agree with u TSK.
I had done 80kmph in 2nd gear in my esteem as well at one point and if i had tried it could have gone to 100.
Esteem was a delight to drive in those days.
Its a pity they stopped manufacturing it.

As for 0-100 figures when i TD the punto i tried it.
I got 15 seconds on a stopwatch.
So yes it varies from driver to driver.

OT- I got 14 seconds on a swift vdi of my friend in 0-100 test. So not much difference for me regarding swift or punto if i am driving
Old 7th August 2009, 12:56   #927
BHPian

Quote:
True as it comes. Word of mouth publicity is what brought Fiat down earlier. If they can target the so called "knowledgeable uncles" to veer around the view point that Fatata is going to offer good overall package including A.S.S, they will do much better than Yuvi promos.
Old 7th August 2009, 13:01   #928
BHPian

Quote:
The esteem when it came out, was one of a kind. 2nd kms in 100kmph was possible because because top speed in 2nd gear was 110kmph vbox indicated. 3rd went to 145kmph
The reason was a ridiculously tall 2nd gear. I did not believe Auto India(Th ebest car mag and the only good one 1996-1997 timeframe), and took my friends esteem on the highway. We hit 50kmph in first gear, shifted to second and it screamed all the way to 115 on the speedo in second gear. It was 1.3 carb model, I would call it India's fist supercar
I did the same thing with my new Esteem that time. The bloody car screamed to over 100kmph in 2nd gear & I was thrilled.

I used to race it with my friend's Cielo (1.5 litre MPFI) & would leave him way behind in acceleration.
Old 7th August 2009, 13:14   #929
BHPian

Has any one ripped a Punto? What is the top speed you can acheive in a Punto? Does it go 100/120 kmph to top speed easily. I could only take her upto 120 due to traffic conditions.
Old 7th August 2009, 13:45   #930
BHPian

In my car the max that i went so far is 150 kmph (speedometer reading) on the Dharmapuri - Krishnagiri bypass. However i was able to cruise at 100 to 110 - 120 kmph comfortably for the the majority of my highway trip so far.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks