Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2009, 13:49   #991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
As for turbo going kaput. If you do not idle when you start the engine, no matter swift or Punto, the life of the turbo will be shortened, as it will run without oil initially.
TSK !!

I want to make sure I have got this right.

Are you saying that it is good to keep the engine at idle for a while (say 30 secs) when you start it ?

Amogh
Old 10th August 2009, 13:53   #992
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
Are you saying that it is good to keep the engine at idle for a while (say 30 secs) when you start it ?

Amogh
Yes! And this applies to Turbocharged petrol cars too.

TSK can confirm.
Old 10th August 2009, 14:00   #993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
TSK !!

Amogh
Yes. And idle it for 30 seconds after you finish driving before switching off the engine. As far as possible, I try and follow this regime.
Old 10th August 2009, 14:16   #994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Yes. And idle it for 30 seconds after you finish driving before switching off the engine. As far as possible, I try and follow this regime.
I was about to add this to tsk's post.
To avoid harming the turbo, It is very very important that the engine is not switched off abruptly.
Old 10th August 2009, 14:22   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post

TSK can confirm.
turbocharged petrol alas we don't have any such hot hatches
Old 10th August 2009, 14:24   #996
Senior - BHPian

It is not important to idle the engine at the start, what matters is that you baby it by gentler driving for the first ten minutes till it comes to operating temperatures. 30 seconds of idling and then blasting off is not going to do what needs to be done. This is true for all engines.
And for turbodiesels/petrols it is vital that you idle it for 60 seconds, preferably 120 seconds after any run that has spooled up the turbo. Which means any run at rpms above 1800-2000, that have lasted for more than 15 mins. Everytime before you shut down the engine. Or you can ruin the turbo inside of a few thousand kms.
PS: fyi, gentler driving in the first ten minutes will not waken the turbo to any significant degree.

Last edited by Sawyer : 10th August 2009 at 14:26. Reason: PS
Old 10th August 2009, 14:25   #997
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Tanveer,

What should be the avg life(kms) of a clutch in diesel cars with/without petes ?
No idea with powerbox, but stock clutch plates should last 80,000kms+ if you use them properly. Careful driving, even if you do lots of hill trips, can see yours last 100,000kms, like my indica DLS clutch plates did.
Actually on more powerful engines, its easier to shorten the life of clutch.

Quote:
TSK !!

Amogh
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post

TSK can confirm.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan0677 View Post
I was about to add this to tsk's post.
To avoid harming the turbo, It is very very important that the engine is not switched off abruptly.
Yes, as others mentioned,
Every time you start the engine. Idle for 30 seconds, every time you switch off, make sure you idle for 30 seconds atleast.
When I start the car from my apartment parking lot, the backing out etc., and also driving in the apartment complex is done at idle(diesel engine torque permits that).,
Buy the time I have backed up, and driven out of the gate, the engine has run at 1000rpm for over a minute, ditto for when you stop.
Old 10th August 2009, 14:26   #998
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Amit !!

I actually do keep the engine at idling for 30-45 seconds when I start the car (yes .. and even after I finish driving)

On my Punto ownership thread, I was asked by many about my driving style / tips etc since I have been getting good FE from the 1.3 MJD.

There I had mentioned the same thing that, I do keep the engine at idling for some time (30-45 seconds) when I start the car. But there I was told that manufacturers these days suggest driving off as soon as the engine is started. I found it a little hard to believe and therefore thought of reconfirming my habit from tsk.

Thank you very much for your inputs
Old 10th August 2009, 14:31   #999
Senior - BHPian

Tsk, is this technique applicable only to the first start and last stop of the day or should it be done even throughout the day in case there are multiple start-stops involved?
Old 10th August 2009, 14:40   #1000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Tsk, is this technique applicable only to the first start and last stop of the day or should it be done even throughout the day in case there are multiple start-stops involved?
The shutting down regime is a must for every stop. Every time the turbo wakes up it spools up to upto 20000 rpm, and runs at very high temperatures. And it gets oil from only an engine that is running. At idle the turbo spins down to a stop, but needs the oil it gets to cool down. Shut the engine off right away, and it loses that required benefit.
Turbodiesels are great engines, if one looks after them well. The two other vital things to be done are to change the engine oil/filter religiously every 6 months. And to get the airfilter thoroughly cleaned every 3 months, and changed as prescribed in the manual.
TDs have become very popular in India, but I am sure very few of them are well maintained. That they still soldier on is only a testament to how robust they are, but most engines in use in India will not live half as long as they would under a proper maintenance regime.
And the running for 60 seconds before each shut down is why they are a bit of nuisance for stop start driving, where petrol is still the better option.
PS: And please do your engine the favor of these oil changes even if the manufacturer recommends longer change intervals, or even if the kms have not been clocked up. Remember that sales people keep pushing for longer change times as a selling point. No engineer in the R&D or Manufacturing parts of these companies likes this.

Last edited by Sawyer : 10th August 2009 at 14:44. Reason: PS
Old 10th August 2009, 14:47   #1001
Team-BHP Support

This 30 second idle is for all starts and stops.
As for turbo, it never stops completely, even at idle its spinning, but at low rpm.
The moment you switch off the engine, oil pump stops, and turbo stops getting oil.
Now if a 20,000rpm turbo will requre 30-40 seconds to spool down to zero. Within 4-5 of seconds it will go dry after oil pump stops.
So you will have it spinning dry, hence less live of bearings etc.,
Even when you start engine, oil pump starts, but it takes a few seconds for oil to flow completely, so at idle turbo will spin slowly, and as it gets fully oiled you can accelerate.
Old 10th August 2009, 16:54   #1002
Senior - BHPian

I am sorry, the words 'warming up' conjure up images of a paid driver sitting in the car and letting it run (not just idle) for what seems for forever before getting down to the business of driving. If the idea is to get the oil flow to all parts on start and for parking - I am all for it and try to follow a routine regularly.

The best thing to do is to establish a start up and shutdown routine. e.g. start the engine, roll down the windows, put on the seat-belt, park the cell phone, plug in the hands free, (switch on lights if night) - then start moving all this will take about 45 seconds to a minute after the engine starts running.

For shutting down do the reverse - stop, (switch off lights if they are on), put on the handbrake, remove the seat belt, check all windows, unplug the hands free, switch off the engine just before getting out. This should take care of the oil circulation not just for the turbine but also for the engine block itself. Cylinders, pistons, bearings etc. need oil just as much as turbos, if not more.
Old 10th August 2009, 17:11   #1003
BHPian

^^ i have a similar routine for my petrol non-turbo santro :-) and i also drive on low revs with no ac and windows down for first 5 mins to ensure adequate warm up.

Last edited by jassi : 10th August 2009 at 17:12.
Old 10th August 2009, 22:36   #1004
BHPian

Are mumbai dealers giving a discount of Rs.5,000 on the punto?? is there anything to be looked at before booking/delivery other than the check-list?

Also can any one please post the onroad price for the 1.4 emotion pack in pune with insurance??

Thanx
Old 10th August 2009, 23:01   #1005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
No idea with powerbox, but stock clutch plates should last 80,000kms+ if you use them properly. Careful driving, even if you do lots of hill trips, can see yours last 100,000kms, like my indica DLS clutch plates did.
Actually on more powerful engines, its easier to shorten the life of clutch.
Even if it lasts say 60 K , or even 50K wouldn't it be worth for that 90 Bhp diesel( fun factor) . , unless the clutch is like say 30- 40 K Rs to replace .

BTW is pete's box available/expected for diesel punto , how much ~ if it is/ when it comes ?

Last edited by black12rr : 10th August 2009 at 23:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks