Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:28   #1831
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
+1 to that - while the Thar is a sincere and commendable attempt at a (relatively) practical/powerful Jeep, it just does not deserve a 7.5L on-road price tag (especially since it does not come with A/C or hard-top)!! I agree with you when you say that this is by virtue of no other competition existing in the market today.

I dont agree - I believe that it is a good thing that there is no competition else, who knows, We might have seen it at a much higher price. The "competition" would have come from wranglers, et all - which in all probability would have been quite expensively priced.

It is afterall a niche segment - and no, i am not condoning M&M for shody interiors. I had infact filled up a feedback form saying that for a projected lifestyle vehicle the interiors are very shody and should improve.

On another note - i saw a black Thar today with Nat Geo stickers and was totally blown away by the clean look. I think Thar looks better in black.

votes?
sach.sri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:31   #1832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
I drove Thar without A/C to Chennai couple of times and it was just unbearable.
My friend, you will not have to drive to Chennai for experiencing this once summers hit Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
I dont agree - I believe that it is a good thing that there is no competition else, who knows, We might have seen it at a much higher price. The "competition" would have come from wranglers, et all - which in all probability would have been quite expensively priced.
Beg to differ here. You do not need a degree in market research to understand that competition is always good for the customer. Wranglers are in a different segment altogether - let us not mix up things here. Did the arrival of Fortuner's and Yeti's influence the prices of Scorpio's and Safari's? No! And please understand that I am not criticizing M&M for their pricing on the Thar - they are in automotive business to make money and they are doing just that - fair enough. I just wish that there was one more vehicle in this segment and the price war would work wonders for the customer.
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:43   #1833
BHPian

Quote:

Beg to differ here. You do not need a degree in market research to understand that competition is always good for the customer. Wranglers are in a different segment altogether - let us not mix up things here. Did the arrival of Fortuner's and Yeti's influence the prices of Scorpio's and Safari's? No! And please understand that I am not criticizing M&M for their pricing on the Thar - they are in automotive business to make money and they are doing just that - fair enough. I just wish that there was one more vehicle in this segment and the price war would work wonders for the customer.

Yes, this is true - if we think that M&M have over priced the Thar. However, i dont think that this is the case.
I brought up wrangler just as an example because a lot of comparison with Wrangler has been done in the forums

Edit: Amen to competition. More choices and power to consumer

Last edited by sach.sri : 3rd August 2011 at 15:44.
Old 3rd August 2011, 21:30   #1834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, this is true - if we think that M&M have over priced the Thar. However, i dont think that this is the case.
Am just curious - How do you justify the 7.5L on road price for a bare bones vehicle?
Old 3rd August 2011, 22:10   #1835
BHPian

well - not really justifying, i know that you get a bolero in a comparable price range. However, looking at this kind of vehicle and the only closest you can come to a similar product is Gurkha - it has AC and HT - but it is also more expensive than Thar IIRC.

As i said - a niche vehicle with good application both off and on road and a definite poser value.

Also in Gurgaon i think OTR is sub 7L (6.27 is ex-showroom).
But well - this topic has been done to death

In my case - whenever i see a Thar on road - there is a definite tug on my heart, so i think my views are a little tilted towards Thar, like your Avatar
sach.sri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2011, 10:45   #1836
BHPian

wanted to also point out that Gypsy ST metallic is 5.47L ex-showroom in Gurgaon. Comparing this with Thar -

- Diesel CRDe Engine
- More power and torque
- Better on-road comfort

priced at 6.27 ex-showroom in Gurgaon does not seem over-priced?

Just for comparison sake Swift DZire LXI (Petrol) ex-showroom is - 4.94L and LDi (Diesel) is - 5.85L (Edit: Look at the difference. Diesel Engines are normally higher priced)

@Headers - in my previous post, the reference to your avatar was in jest. I hope you did not mind.

Last edited by sach.sri : 4th August 2011 at 10:52. Reason: more info
Old 4th August 2011, 12:04   #1837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, looking at this kind of vehicle and the only closest you can come to a similar product is Gurkha - it has AC and HT - but it is also more expensive than Thar IIRC.
That is precisely the point - there is no competition to the Thar and hence M&M has got a free-hand on the pricing

Quote:
wanted to also point out that Gypsy ST metallic is 5.47L ex-showroom in Gurgaon
Whoever said that Gypsy is not overpriced? Try and do a survey on how many 'new' Gypsy's are picked up (by civilians) on a monthly basis across the country - maybe a handful! Most of the Gypsy trading happens in the used car market. Wait till there are adequate number of Thar's in the used car market and then see how many new ones fly off the shelf!
Old 4th August 2011, 12:12   #1838
BHPian

Quote:
Try and do a survey on how many 'new' Gypsy's are picked up (by civilians) on a monthly basis across the country - maybe a handful!
This can also be attributed to the fact that Gypsys are not "easy" vehicles to purchase new

- Made to order (hence high waiting period)
- No TD
- A lot of Maruti showrooms dont deal in Gypsys
- Not really advertised.

I tried to get information and TD for Gypsy some days ago and learnt the hard way.

In any case - this debate will go on

I am ok with the pricing while you are not - individual POV. Cant really change.
I was just trying to point out that for similar products - Gurkha and Gypsy - Thar is quite well priced.
Old 4th August 2011, 20:14   #1839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
wanted to also point out that Gypsy ST metallic is 5.47L ex-showroom in Gurgaon. Comparing this with Thar -

- Diesel CRDe Engine
- More power and torque
- Better on-road comfort

priced at 6.27 ex-showroom in Gurgaon does not seem over-priced?
The Gypsy ST will run circles around the THAR CRDE onroad, offroad, 0-60 as it is more nimble than the thar!! It handles better, hugs the road and can do better offroad than competition.

Ofcourse it needs a good driver to bring the best out of that machine, it is not as forgiving as the MM540 family of vehicles and has less room and utility value than the Jeeps.

Quote:
Most of the Gypsy trading happens in the used car market. Wait till there are adequate number of Thar's in the used car market and then see how many new ones fly off the shelf!
The wait has already begun

Quote:
I was just trying to point out that for similar products - Gurkha and Gypsy - Thar is quite well priced.

Sir, I am all ears for your ownership of the THAR!! - Advance congragulations
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 11:25   #1840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Sir, I am all ears for your ownership of the THAR!! - Advance congragulations
I knew this was coming

It is definitely on cards - for 2012. I have an issue with parking, i dont have secure parking and that is one of the biggest deterrents on my purchasing Thar.

But i am working on it, hopefully should be able to start a ownership thread on Thar in 2012.
Old 5th August 2011, 16:48   #1841
BHPian

Headers,
Since you have both the gypsy and mm540, can you start a new thread showing the best attributes of both vehicles, negatives, onroad/offroad capabilities etc.,.
i am sure arkajee will support this new thread, especially since you are one among the lucky dude's to have both 4wd's at your disposal, also using them to max. endurance - this is observed from the chennai offroad meetups and pics for the past few years.
best regards.

Last edited by shekaran : 5th August 2011 at 16:49. Reason: spell mistakes rectified
Old 9th August 2011, 20:51   #1842
BHPian

any ideas which alloys are these? These are fitted on Thar adventure.

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-thar-adventure-alloys.jpg

Regards,
Sachin
Old 12th August 2011, 21:15   #1843

ok so now i need some help. Thar has done 3k km approx. The orange check light came on. On investigation I noticed the engine coolant is over.
Can you let me know what just happened here in just 3k km. Planning to take it to the service station after I return back from the long weekend. For now I have added enough to last me 1k km to last the next 3 days or so I hope.
Thanks.
Old 17th August 2011, 17:09   #1844
BHPian

Could it be a leak? Any update?
Old 18th August 2011, 18:17   #1845

apologies.. was a bit tied up at work so could not update earlier.

Did about 1000 km during the weekend over some tough terrain (certainly not comparable and challenging as an off road trail).
Result: The coolant level has dropped down to less than half and there is certainly no visible leak or traces of it.

Some new problems cropped up:
1. The steering is now making a squeaking noise. This made me lose some confidence and on the way back home, I was driving relatively slowly.
2. I could hear a distinct metal clang coming randomly from the under body when I went over some big potholes. Got down to inspect a few times and it was certainly not anything I could see physically to have touched the vehicle. And I was going rather carefully over them.
This eased out as soon as I got back on the road.
3. The orange check light is somehow more associated with the braking, coming on every time I was applying the brakes.

Did not enjoy the weekend drive as these issues were playing in my head. I was expecting a more robust performance than what I got in the end.
Will go over to the service center over the weekend to have a look at all of these.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks