Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2012, 20:32   #2386
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Hey Guys, I had never imagines in my wildest dream that I will ever buy THAR, perhaps the reality is different now.

Tradition says Men grow wiser with age, in my case it looks like an opposite.

On occasion of 36th Birthday, I booked Rocky Beige Thar CRDe 4X4. From Skoda Yeti to Scorpio 4X4 all the options were evaluated, nothing came close to the practicality of Thar which will also allow me to retain Fiesta which is now 46K young on Odo.

I have been talking to NBS in Mumbai. They have a rocky Beige Oct 2012 in stock. I locked it by paying 51K. Now evaluating options on finance. Planning to take delivery after weekend of 8th Dec. I will do the PDI at stock Yard next week and update.

Mumbai OTR - 8.37 and 10K discount on top of that.

This is going to be the first Jeep in the family. I also have a big list of To do things with Finance reserve exclusively for Thar. Surely 2013 is going to be one hell of an exciting year in my life.
Firebird is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2012, 21:56   #2387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
I am also sharing 2 pics of my jeep.

Sincere regards.
Few queries for you

Hey Mate, that's very nicely done jeep. Are those front and rear bumpers from M&M customization kit?

Aux lights and Fog lamps - where did you get those fitted in Mumbai?

I am planning to check latest pricing for Expedition kit. The one provided earlier had good prices.
Old 29th November 2012, 11:13   #2388
BHPian

Is there any news on the new thar coming with better interiors ?

Will buying a preowned thar refresh 2012 model make sense if i get to save 1/1.2 lacs ?

Last edited by niks_devil666 : 29th November 2012 at 11:15.
Old 1st December 2012, 12:36   #2389

Re: A Biker to a Jeeper - Mahindra Thar Crde

BD Sir,

I have been following all the Thar crde related threads on this forum. I am a prospective Thar (crde) buyer. I currently own a Ritz VDI just one year and 13000 odd KMS old. the Ritz is serving my needs very well and has a excellent fuel economy. I am saving money to buy the Thar and as soon as I have the the money, I will buy it. I want the Thar for its power, looks, rugged appeal and the go anywhere attitude. I am disturbed at he thought of the Thar getting the Quanto engine (1.5L). IMHO it will kill the appeal of the existing product and I will rather keep my Ritz. I am sure there are a number of other other prospective buyers who want the Thar for the same reasons. Plonking a 1500 CC engine in the Thar will turn off many prospective buyers.
Old 1st December 2012, 17:08   #2390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Motive View Post
BD Sir, I want the Thar for its power, looks, rugged appeal and the go anywhere attitude. I am disturbed at he thought of the Thar getting the Quanto engine (1.5L). IMHO it will kill the appeal of the existing product. I am sure there are a number of other other prospective buyers who want the Thar for the same reasons. Plonking a 1500 CC engine in the Thar will turn off many prospective buyers.
Dear Auto Motive - thanks for your comments. This is what I have said, an action may make "business sense" but it must also make "customer sense".

My opinion is a shade different. I do not see anything negative in plonking a sub 1500cc engine in the Thar (they will in any case do it to save on excise), provided it delivers the same blistering power, acceleration, lugging ability with better fuel economy and with less initial cost. I will not compromise on "customer-centric" parameters at all. But my friend, this is where the cookie crumbles. The vehicle may not be delivering the same performance but if marketing gets "brow-beaten" into accepting it, that's not correct because then it does not make "customer sense". This is what happens in large organizations, or is made to happen by elements having vested interests! So, the organization needs to tread this new and interesting ground, but very carefully and with a clear glide path, otherwise you are history!

By the way, today there is a new class of vehicles in India which have emerged, these are the sub-1500 cc around 100 to 120BHP kind. They did not exist one year back. It's the correct way to go, but carefully, no compromise on drivability, acceleration, tip-in / tip-out performance, driving dynamics etc. Please take today's passenger cars. Most people do not even know that they are driving a 3 cylinder engine, the car is equally fast, powerful and more frugal in cost per km as compared to its just one year old sibling or competition.

THE GAME HAS JUST STARTED. IT WILL BECOME VERY INTERESTING NOW! Every day is important!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2012, 18:15   #2391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
THE GAME HAS JUST STARTED. IT WILL BECOME VERY INTERESTING NOW! Every day is important!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DB Sir,

I saw an online thread in 'fast track' in Manorama news, a kerala based TV website, that Fiat is planning to launch Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Cherokee by next year. Any clue?

Regards,
Sadiq.
Old 3rd December 2012, 16:38   #2392
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
DB Sir, I saw an online thread in 'fast track' in Manorama news, a kerala based TV website, that Fiat is planning to launch Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Cherokee by next year. Any clue? Regards, Sadiq.
Dear Sadiq - good if true. Its time Thar had some worthwhile competition in its target price segment.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 3rd December 2012, 20:55   #2393
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Sadiq - good if true. Its time Thar had some worthwhile competition in its target price segment.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Grand Cherokee is confirmed for 2013.

Source: http://motoroids.com/news/fiat-india...rokee-in-2013/
Old 7th December 2012, 17:55   #2394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajpv87 View Post
Grand Cherokee is confirmed for 2013.

Source: http://motoroids.com/news/fiat-india...rokee-in-2013/
Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler can never compete with Mahindra on Price even if they come out with the most basic version of them. There are a zillion things that will add to their base costs, not even considering what they cost in US. Wishing them Good Luck though as competition never did any harm.
Old 10th December 2012, 15:19   #2395
XD2
BHPian

Have been driving my Thar for around 4 months now without issues, but going through all the ownership threads am left with two questions.

Hoping the gurus can put me wiser.

1. Brakes : I've adjusted my driving style to the Thar. A tad easier on the accelerator and slowing down in anticipation. The cost of the brake upgrade is too high and i'm not sure if someone would do a good job at it. Thus have left it OE. My hope is that in the event of an 'emergency' - pumping the brakes should do if I'm not doing triple digit speeds.

2. Tyres : I recall reading somewhere that the Thar is suspension tuned for the HT tires. I dont really understand this 'suspension tuned' bit.
What do I stand to lose if I change to AT tires of similar specifications ?
Old 11th December 2012, 01:07   #2396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Few queries for you

Hey Mate, that's very nicely done jeep. Are those front and rear bumpers from M&M customization kit?

I am planning to check latest pricing for Expedition kit. The one provided earlier had good prices.
Dear Firebird, yes; the bumpers and the whole package was from the Mahindra customisation boys including all the lights.

Best regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD2 View Post
Have been driving my Thar for around 4 months now without issues, but going through all the ownership threads am left with two questions.

Hoping the gurus can put me wiser.

1. Brakes : I've adjusted my driving style to the Thar. A tad easier on the accelerator and slowing down in anticipation. The cost of the brake upgrade is too high and i'm not sure if someone would do a good job at it. Thus have left it OE. My hope is that in the event of an 'emergency' - pumping the brakes should do if I'm not doing triple digit speeds.

2. Tyres : I recall reading somewhere that the Thar is suspension tuned for the HT tires. I dont really understand this 'suspension tuned' bit.
What do I stand to lose if I change to AT tires of similar specifications ?
Dear XD2,

With reference to brakes, I am quite happy with my Thar brakes; as you said, I too have adapted to them and do quite well apart from the odd "Holy Cow, that was close" statement in Mumbai extremities. It should be ok if you are not doing triple digits. I am comfy.

With ref to tires; I have no idea mate. There are serious Guru's in here who know better. I put in Yoko 255 AT's which I seriously believe was total overkill and I've had a few issues with allignment. It's just not needed. When I change, I'll downsize to original sizing but AT... no way will I do HT. I reckon, I do too many trashy trails.

Hope that helps and happy Tharring.

Best regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Few queries for you

Dear Firebird, my email to you bounced back. Did you recieve it with all attachments by any chance?

Best regards.

Note from Support: Posts merged.
Suedehead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 11:36   #2397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD2 View Post

1. Brakes: I've adjusted my driving style to the Thar. A tad easier on the accelerator and slowing down in anticipation. The cost of the brake upgrade is too high and i'm not sure if someone would do a good job at it. Thus have left it OE. My hope is that in the event of an 'emergency' - pumping the brakes should do if I'm not doing triple digit speeds.

2. Tyres : I recall reading somewhere that the Thar is suspension tuned for the HT tires. I dont really understand this 'suspension tuned' bit. What do I stand to lose if I change to AT tires of similar specifications?
Dear XD2 - on brakes, please PM Rajith in Bangalore. He has partially implemented the improved solution. Parts are easily available and the cost worked out quite reasonable. Otherwise, stick to OE if you are comfortable with it. "Suspension tuning" means defining the limits of and working on characteristics like understeer / oversteer / steering response lag / roll angle under controlled radius of turn at controlled speed on steering pad, steering effort during drive / coast / parking etc. These and related parameters depend on the construction of the tires, particularly their sidewalls. Therefore, tire characteristics are extremely important to realize the full potential of a vehicle platform at its supply dress level in production. AT tires have different bahavioral characteristics as compared to nrmal tires. In absence of drawing specifications and constructional details, it is very difficult to score one over the other. Generally, AT tires will be noisier than normal tires, grip on tarmac will be a shade worse and life will be low, with faster deterioration over the life cycle as distance covered progresses, with the first signs of deterioration showing as early as 6000 kms. On loose tarmac, they will score slightly above normal tires on grip under normal torque input conditions. Normal tires will gain performance till about 9000 kms of use and then start deteriorating from around 15000 kms to give an avarage life of around 40000 kms. So, it is a very fine balance and you must be extremely keen to feel these finest nuances. For you as a normal user, it is best left to R&D to give you the correct tire with the vehicle. Remember that as an OE fitment, the vehicle fitted with a particular tire must also meet CMVR BS4 emission norm.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 12:14   #2398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Motive View Post
BD Sir,

I have been following all the Thar crde related threads on this forum. I am a prospective Thar (crde) buyer. I currently own a Ritz VDI just one year and 13000 odd KMS old. the Ritz is serving my needs very well and has a excellent fuel economy. I am saving money to buy the Thar and as soon as I have the the money, I will buy it. I want the Thar for its power, looks, rugged appeal and the go anywhere attitude. I am disturbed at he thought of the Thar getting the Quanto engine (1.5L). IMHO it will kill the appeal of the existing product and I will rather keep my Ritz. I am sure there are a number of other other prospective buyers who want the Thar for the same reasons. Plonking a 1500 CC engine in the Thar will turn off many prospective buyers.
I,on the other hand, was quite happy about the Thar getting the Quanto engine. I did voice my opinion on amolpol's thread. Below is my post:-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2979342

Quote:
Hello BD Sir,
Could you please elaborate on the above post. I was of the opinion that plonking the 1.5L engine was a logical step forward.

Spec of Thar-
Power - 105 H.P. @3800 RPM
Torque - 247 Nm @1800-2000 RPM.

Spec of Quanto -
Power - 100BHP@3750 RPM
Torque - 240Nm@1600-2800 RPM

Here's a 1.5L engine that makes 95% of the power and 97% torque @ similar rpm,in an engine that's 40% smaller,compared to the 2.5L engine.

The fact that the 1.5L is derived from the 2.2L Mhawk whereas the 2.5L is derived from old 2.6L Crde, also works to its advantage. Not to mention the advantage of weight & smaller engine will have on performance, fuel efficiency & emissions.

More ever Mahindra can price it lower,make it VFM,which I believe it is not today. Or maybe introduce ABS at the same price

I admit, I'm not an offroader(yet), therefore I don't know how it will affect it's offload-worthiness.

BD Sir, I hope I've not offended you in any way. Just seeking some much needed knowledge.
Mods - I know this post deviates from amol's ownership thread, but would appreciate if this post is not deleted.
Sorry Amol.

Regards,
Varun
BD Sir was kind enough to reply back.Below is his post;-

Quote:
Dear Varun - sorry for delayed reply, I just now saw your post. Fitting the sub-1.5 is a logical progression. Saving of excise will overrule everything else, + what better golden chance to fill in goal sheets for the next three years! By the way - "Customer's Latent Desires", what's that? .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
I believe that 1.5L is a logical step forward. If Mahindra engineers can adapt the 1.5L to suit the Thar's character, then it's a win-win situation.
Like BD Sir said, it should not dilute the rugged nature of the Thar.
Regards,
Varun
Old 11th December 2012, 12:54   #2399
BHPian

Quote:

Dear Behrambhai,
Mine is the same ditto case as with 'Auto Motive'. I have targeted to replace my Alto with Thar by end 2013. But I am disappointed to read that M&M is planning to plonk a puny 1.5 instead of the mEagle engine. In fact, i would postpone my Thar in 2013 if they have concrete plans to bring the mEagle.

But as you said, times are changing and the behavior of smaller engines is on par with larger engines I am confused. I would by the Thar in the present avataar if at all the 1.5 engine is less powerful & exciting then the current 2.6.
Old 11th December 2012, 13:01   #2400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post

I believe that 1.5L is a logical step forward. If Mahindra engineers can adapt the 1.5L to suit the Thar's character, then it's a win-win situation.
True.. But, I'm not sure about the driveability and power delivery of the 1.5 L quanto engine. Yet to test/drive it elaborately. IMO, an off-roader needs very linear and predictable power delivery, with oodles of torque down the rpm range.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks