Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2015, 22:55   #3361
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

I have attached the page from owners manual for reference. It is quite easy in a Thar.

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_7180.jpg
Jaggu is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 08:01   #3362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Did you check that?
No.

What about leaving the stick in 2H for regular road use?
Old 19th June 2015, 08:48   #3363
Senior - BHPian

It HAS to be in 2H for regular road use. There is no other mode for that.
Old 28th June 2015, 21:41   #3364
BHPian

Cardekho.com says, while checking the on-road price, that a new diesel variant (DI 4x2) is about to be launched soon at Rs. 5L. How trustable is this, or is it a rumour? Is it worth the wait for someone whose primary motive is not to off road but to have a convertible jeep?
Old 28th June 2015, 22:01   #3365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post
Cardekho.com says, while checking the on-road price, that a new diesel variant (DI 4x2) is about to be launched soon at Rs. 5L. How trustable is this, or is it a rumour? Is it worth the wait for someone whose primary motive is not to off road but to have a convertible jeep?
In addition to the Thar CRDe 4x4, the Thar DI has always been available both in 4x4 and 4x2 versions.
Why is this being portrayed as a 'new' variant? The DI engine is only BS3 compliant tough!
Old 1st July 2015, 10:35   #3366
BHPian

Quote:
If budget is an issue, pl. look for a per-owned CRDe rather than a DI. The previous one is any day better than the latter plus you get other goodies like 4wd, Air-con, Power steering etc.
Old 1st July 2015, 11:36   #3367
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Cardekho.com says, while checking the on-road price, that a new diesel variant (DI 4x2) Is it worth the wait for someone whose primary motive is not to off road but to have a convertible jeep?
Most of these so called autowebites have no credible information. DI 4x2 is in the market for a very long time. It is only BSIII, you cannot register it in a metro. It sounds and drives like crap. Assuming you can get a test driver from the dealer.

Quote:
If budget is an issue, pl. look for a per-owned CRDe rather than a DI. The previous one is any day better than the latter plus you get other goodies like 4wd, Air-con, Power steering etc.
Absolutely correct. buy a used thar and pull of the top if you want a convertible. It comes with decent creature comforts and a kickass power train.
Old 1st July 2015, 11:43   #3368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it worth the wait for someone whose primary motive is not to off road but to have a convertible jeep?
Quote:
Agree with KkVaidya. The DI is too crude and only a person who appreciates its ruggedness and simplicity will enjoy it. If budget permits, go for a pre worshipped CRDE it is much much more comfortable to drive around.
Old 14th July 2015, 12:13   #3369
BHPian

At last got a call from the dealer that the faulty receiver drier spare has arrived after 25 days.
The part was replaced yesterday but was surprised to see the label mentioning BOLERO instead of THAR !!
I guess they share the same parts bin. Hope this works without any issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_20150713_121855.jpg  

KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 13:32   #3370
BHPian

Quote:
The part was replaced yesterday but was surprised to see the label mentioning BOLERO instead of THAR !!
I guess they share the same parts bin. Hope this works without any issues.
Hope your issue has been resolved now. Yes lot of parts sharing with Bolero and I guess they didnt bother with renaming to Thar. In fact even your earlier pic showed the original one to have Bolero branding
Old 23rd July 2015, 12:24   #3371
BHPian

New Thar launched at an ex-showroom price of 8.03lacs (Nashik)

http://www.mahindrathar.com/index.aspx#!thar-CRDe
uday.ere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 16:10   #3372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
New Thar launched at an ex-showroom price of 8.03lacs (Nashik)

http://www.mahindrathar.com/index.aspx#!thar-CRDe
Do we have a test drive review of the new thar? I searched but could not locate. Can anyone please redirect me if it is available? Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 16:43   #3373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
Do we have a test drive review of the new thar? I searched but could not locate. Can anyone please redirect me if it is available? Thanks
Mods, can we expect to look forward to a review of the Thar facelift pls? I understand there was a Media drive organized at the Igatpuri training institute.
uday.ere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 17:14   #3374
BHPian

Greeting!

I have been following this thread for quite some time.

I almost have made up my mind to take a plunge to book the Thar. Meanwhile I have been making arrangments to sell off my Scorpio Mhawk SLE 2009 model. My Scorpio has served well for 6 years and did 100K odd km. I am contemplating for S4 4wd too but I appears that the Thar has possesed me completely.

Back of my mind the points below is still playing:

What I will be loosing from moving the scorpio to Thar
1. ABS
2. OVRM
3. Power windows
4. Central locking with car security system
5. Rear wiper
6. Arm rest
7. 8 seater
8. Noiseless interior
9. Space
10. Music System
11Secured enclosure Security of my valuables left in the car. I have to think twice before i part the car say I leave my laptop behind.

What I will gain:
1. Ownership pride (finally my dream will be fullfilled, I first learnt to drive in CJ500, 2. always wanted to own a jeep)
3. Its Off roading capability (one of the best capable indian made 4x4 vechile, my weekend getaways would be more interesting - in many of my fishing trips i have to shy away from reaching the fishing spot and park my Scorpio far away from the spot)
4. Option of Open roof driving
5. Good options for cutomization

Non Tempting factors: Thar does not have any discount not been Mahindra localty discount. Secondly its a made to order product, if this is the case I did question couple to times why cant we have an option to select what to accessories to choose during the process of building it. For example if one wants to alloys instead the wheel rims - wheel rims are wasted cost borne by the buyer. Really would have been nice if M&M gave an option to retain it, provide a alloy and charge the cost difference.

Inference: If I compare the gains, they are more subjective in nature which are comming from my heart and obsession. Now My only option is to fill the gaps by enabling more function in the Thar which Primarily would be installing
1. Secured enclosure(I have a jugaad design in my mind),
2. Power windows and
3. Central locking with car security system.
4. Arm rest
6. Music System
7. Some more installation that would easy to my pocket (front guard, fod lamps, roll over guard)

Through the installation i wont feel the vacumm after i let go of my Scorpio (keeping both the cars is not an option for me).I had a word with a gentleman in the Mahindra customization department named Mr Vaibhav, he gave me a fair overview of what can be done and the budget required. I still feel I could try out someone from Mumbai or Pune who will cheaper than Mahindra customization and help me in my jugaad design.

Look forward for the prespectives of the members in this thread and also seek guidance from the Thar experts to enable the functions as stated above.

Lastly please pardon for me for comparing Scorpio to Thar, i understand that they belong completely different segment (no offense intended). It just that it is a major paradigm shift for me to change from Scorpio to the Thar. Mod do relocate the post if not relevant to this thread.
Old 30th July 2015, 10:40   #3375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_man View Post
Greeting!
What I will be loosing from moving the scorpio to Thar
1. ABS
2. OVRM
3. Power windows
4. Central locking with car security system
5. Rear wiper
6. Arm rest
7. 8 seater
8. Noiseless interior
9. Space
10. Music System
11Secured enclosure Security of my valuables left in the car. I have to think twice before i part the car say I leave my laptop behind.
Inference: If I compare the gains, they are more subjective in nature which are comming from my heart and obsession. Now My only option is to fill the gaps by enabling more function in the Thar which Primarily would be installing
1. Secured enclosure(I have a jugaad design in my mind),
2. Power windows and
3. Central locking with car security system.
4. Arm rest
6. Music System
7. Some more installation that would easy to my pocket (front guard, fod lamps, roll over guard)

In my opinion if you want hard top, stereo and power windows, there is no point in buying Thar and modifying it. Thar is best as it is, with the roll cage and bumpers the only add on that are worth it.

Once you carry out all the mods, (barring Mechanical 4x4 lever and rear leaf springs), you will end up with what the Scorpio S4+ 4x4 is, and it may also cost more.
Aroy is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks