Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2016, 09:54   #3601
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
The Thar DI gets the M2dicr engine so it can be sold in metro cities as well (for people who found the Thar CRDe too expensive and wanted a barebones 4x4)

Edit: Just got to know that this engine combo doesn't come with a 4x4. Maybe someone can confirm
If launched it does come with 4X4.

If its not launched, it is definately coming with a 4X4...

Source-unknown
Old 28th September 2016, 09:40   #3602
BHPian

Hello mate

Would you be able to PM me his number and address of his shop please. I need to replace my original thar crdi soft top as it leaks

thank you
Old 28th September 2016, 15:05   #3603
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
The Thar DI gets the M2dicr engine so it can be sold in metro cities as well (for people who found the Thar CRDe too expensive and wanted a barebones 4x4)
Problem is that the power specs are the same so no inherent advantage other than being able to register at Metros.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 14:56   #3604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_azz View Post
Also, does the bonnet release lever doesn't work when pulled, is there a fix for that?
hello there,

I don't know if you have sorted out the bonnet thing by now or not but if not I have finally found the fix. I guess we have the same problem. You pull the lever and nothing happens. You keep on pulling it and someone else has to lift off the hood. The bonnet doesn't pop open itself.

Well I had this problem since Day 1 and no one i met had any solution. The ASS here blamed Mahindra for that, after tinkering it for a good couple of hours. He even tried hitting the tiger clamp to make it work. Adjusted the cable.. did pretty much everything. And in the end blamed the rubber seals around for not giving that lifting effect. Even went on to say that its like this only.

Only recently when I told this problem in Siliguri ASS the old denter guy coolly opened/loosened 3 nuts after removing the Insect mesh and adjusted the locking mechanism and Voila its done. So its like two nuts from inside nd one from outside and need to press the whole locking assembly downwards a bit and tighten it in place. and noone else had a clue until now.

Regarding the water ingress from roof I am still looking for a solution and am contemplating on removing the canopy and retictching those areas with some seam protection and lining the inside with another waterproof liner and keep a layer of profile in between as insulation. What say folks? Will it work? We dont have good hood makers here.
Old 3rd October 2016, 13:04   #3605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_MNC_SK View Post
Regarding the water ingress from roof I am still looking for a solution and am contemplating on removing the canopy and retictching those areas with some seam protection and lining the inside with another waterproof liner and keep a layer of profile in between as insulation. What say folks? Will it work? We dont have good hood makers here.
I have put an insulating material a 6mm sheet of material. The only challenge with additional layer of liner and another layer as insulation is that the top won't fit as the original fit, with the added thinkness, the back top moves back an inch.
Old 5th November 2016, 07:57   #3606
BHPian

I thinking of getting a used Thar.

I have read a lot of issues with the hardtop like water leakage. I plan to get a hardtop and second row seats done.

Can anyone suggest something in Kerala.

How is the mahindra fitted hardtop? Any reviews on that please.
ortho_surgeon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 18:29   #3607
BHPian

Hello friends, this is my first post on a thar thread. Recently I got myself a sparingly used Thar crde ( 2013 model), The jeep is in good shape, but there is an issue with the soft top windows. The windows have become almost opaque and I have difficulty in reversing and parking because of this.
Today in my cousin's garage, I have seen a brand new thar, brought in for modifications. This guy is also going for a hard top. So I might be able to get hold of the soft top ( brand new as it is only a week old vehicle).
So my questions here are-
1) Will the new soft top be a straight fit? Mine is the pre facelift version with the straight rear, and the new soft top is the slanted one.
2) Should I go for it? considering the older soft top shape had lesser leakage issues than the new slanted top.
I am confused now. Personally I like the shape of the new canopy more. Any advice will be really helpful.
Old 14th December 2016, 18:33   #3608
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
1) Will the new soft top be a straight fit? Mine is the pre facelift version with the straight rear, and the new soft top is the slanted one.
2) Should I go for it? considering the older soft top shape had lesser leakage issues than the new slanted top.
1- If you get the whole kit including the frames, it should not be a big issue.

2- No idea about leaks in new

If it's coming for a good price, why not.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 12:59   #3609
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
I am confused now. Personally I like the shape of the new canopy more. Any advice will be really helpful.
Take the complete frame and you will be able to install it directly onto your CRDe. Anyways, the frame cannot be used with a hard top. You will be able to sell your frame and canopy and get some of it back. There are many people who restore army clunkers to sell and they will be happy to buy your frame and canvas. The windows can be replaced to clear ones by a liner.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 23:23   #3610
BHPian

Thanks for the advice, guys. I went for it. Got the transplant done today..new model canopy on the older one. Best part is that I got it for free
The sticker on the canvas says it was manufactured on july 2016.

Last edited by pyrodrive : 19th December 2016 at 23:40.
pyrodrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 19:19   #3611
A M
BHPian

Found this on the internet.

If true, the next iteration of Thar would look more like the FJ.
Old 20th February 2017, 00:45   #3612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
The Smaller yet Significant Things:

The clutch slave pipe / mount is protruding below the chassis. Question of 'when' and not 'if' for it to get damaged in off-roading:
This engineering flaw in the Thar caused me to lose the clutch midway when crossing a stream and hit some rocks underneath. It was partly my fault as I was forced to go slightly off the designated path to avoid another vehicle. The transmission skid-plate took most of the impact.

I was luckily able to slot the car in reverse and could power out of the stream. We tried to patch up the broken metal pipe with insulation tape in vain.

But, it stopped further leakage of the clutch fluid and we finally had to be towed by another jeep until a mechanic arrived with the replacement pipe and the vehicle was fixed up in no time.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-20170220_001722min.jpg  

Old 20th February 2017, 19:40   #3613
BHPian

Hi All,

Has anyone changed headlight bulb in Thar for improved visibility? I feel the visibility is not great during night drives. I just want to change the bulb (if it is feasible) than install additional set.
Old 21st February 2017, 19:27   #3614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aithalsandy View Post
Hi All,

Has anyone changed headlight bulb in Thar for improved visibility? I feel the visibility is not great during night drives. I just want to change the bulb (if it is feasible) than install additional set.
I have mine running on Phillips 100/90W with relays. Superb view in full beam. To go one step further, you can put 140/110W to get daylight in front of you. This can be done in a Thar as it has Glass lenses. Check out Behram Dhabhar's post on page 60 of the automotive lighting systems.
KkVaidya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 21:21   #3615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
I have mine running on Phillips 100/90W with relays. Superb view in full beam. To go one step further, you can put 140/110W to get daylight in front of you. This can be done in a Thar as it has Glass lenses. Check out Behram Dhabhar's post on page 60 of the automotive lighting systems.
@members from Bangalore,

Any suggestions on shops to get 140/110W? Would Mahindra ASC be able to help?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks