Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2017, 19:33   #3646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilmadgavkar View Post
Thanks, I am trying to get in touch with someone from Mahindra, as the service centre people are not able to resolve this.

Note from Moderator : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Please don't bother, rather learn to live with it!

Just take precautions to ensure that no water remains on the floor after driving through rains or a water wash!

Remove the floor mats/carpets after every 'session' and mop the floor dry, that's the only solution!

The intrinsic 'design' of the vehicle ensures that it just cannot be water-tight

Last edited by cpbopanna : 25th September 2017 at 20:02.
Old 26th September 2017, 09:53   #3647
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Regarding the trickle of water behind the dash and into the driver's and passenger footwells, I have found that this does not occur during a pressure wash, and also if the vehicle is parked in the rain. But if driven in rains, it does occur. I think the root cause of this is the wipers. The wipers, when on, hits the black rubber strip below the windscreen glass each time it moves and creates a kink there, and the rainwater from d windscreen goes in between the glass and the rubber. From there it goes along the groove and finds its way behind the dash.
I think the remedy will be to apply some silicon sealant or some other adhesive along the rubber. I am wondering whether to try a DIY fix or to get it done professionally ( finding a good place to get it done is a problem in my city) and also which adhesive to use.
What do you guys think of this? anybody else noticed the issue?
Old 26th September 2017, 11:30   #3648
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
I think the root cause of this is the wipers. The wipers, when on, hits the black rubber strip below the windscreen glass each time it moves and creates a kink there, and the rainwater from d windscreen goes in between the glass and the rubber. From there it goes along the groove and finds its way behind the dash.
If that is the case - M&M must have contracted the world's worst gasket maker for supplying the windshield gaskets. It is a possibility but I don't think this will be the reason. The gasket-glass combination has been around literally for ages now and people have pretty much mastered it. Even M&M won't leave this simple a design flaw in a car for so long...
In most THARs that I have seen (and I'm glad I get to see a LOT!) - the wiper blades don't really hit the gasket. In fact they generally move less than they should!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
I think the remedy will be to apply some silicon sealant or some other adhesive along the rubber. I am wondering whether to try a DIY fix or to get it done professionally ( finding a good place to get it done is a problem in my city) and also which adhesive to use.
What do you guys think of this? anybody else noticed the issue?
The silicon sealant won't last a week if the wipers are indeed hitting the gasket. The only thing that might survive is a fine hand applied layer of combination epoxy adhesives like Araldite. But that will harden the rubber area.
Old 30th September 2017, 06:39   #3649
BHPian

This thread has been a great resource of information and has me become more confident about buying one, thanks. Are there any sure fix problems to things like the leaking canopy at all? I'm thinking moving to a hard top may be a solution, any reason why I should not?

Also, what are the things I should watch out for when I go to a test drive? Planning to do it in the next day or so.
Old 13th October 2017, 18:36   #3650
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Looking at going in for a second hand "Thar". Is there anything specific I should be looking out for? Having been through a few pages of this thread and reading about water leakages etc, my initial enthusiasm has died down a bit.
I do not like spending time in garages, ASS or FNG - Is it wise therefore to go in for a Thar?
Your expert advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,
SS
Old 14th October 2017, 18:39   #3651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,

Looking at going in for a second hand "Thar". Is there anything specific I should be looking out for? Having been through a few pages of this thread and reading about water leakages etc, my initial enthusiasm has died down a bit.

I do not like spending time in garages, ASS or FNG - Is it wise therefore to go in for a Thar?

Your expert advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,

SS

If you don't like spending time in garages, run away!!
The ASS is completely useless, they will never address all your problems and usually are not familiar with the workings of a jeep. A good FNG is your best bet. But whatever said, it needs time commitment to maintain one.
If you still want a jeep, assuming it's your 2nd vehicle, just look out for decent mechanicals, being a jeep everything is easily fixable.
Old 14th October 2017, 19:05   #3652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi View Post
This thread has been a great resource of information and has me become more confident about buying one, thanks. Are there any sure fix problems to things like the leaking canopy at all? I'm thinking moving to a hard top may be a solution, any reason why I should not?

Also, what are the things I should watch out for when I go to a test drive? Planning to do it in the next day or so.
Hey,a hard top might come with its own complement of niggles like seepage and rattles,make sure you get one that's recommended by the gurus in here.

There's a hard top manufacturer in Peenya,Bangalore.This guy seems to have duplicated the Hyderabad hard top design and is selling it at a substantially lower cost,don't have feedback on the reliability of things but the guy seemed quite earnest when I spoke with him on the phone.

Last edited by thorque : 14th October 2017 at 19:07. Reason: typo
thorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 23:23   #3653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorque View Post
Hey,a hard top might come with its own complement of niggles like seepage and rattles,make sure you get one that's recommended by the gurus in here.

There's a hard top manufacturer in Peenya,Bangalore.This guy seems to have duplicated the Hyderabad hard top design and is selling it at a substantially lower cost,don't have feedback on the reliability of things but the guy seemed quite earnest when I spoke with him on the phone.
Thanks thorque, but I finally dropped this plan because of multiple reasons and have now booked a Duster.
Old 15th October 2017, 08:57   #3654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nan View Post
If you don't like spending time in garages, run away!!
The ASS is completely useless, they will never address all your problems and usually are not familiar with the workings of a jeep. A good FNG is your best bet. But whatever said, it needs time commitment to maintain one.
If you still want a jeep, assuming it's your 2nd vehicle, just look out for decent mechanicals, being a jeep everything is easily fixable.
Thanks a_nan,

I experienced the shortcomings of the ASS even before going for the test drive when I tried to call and make an appointment to bring the vehicle for a general check up.

Anyway, went for the test drive and was not impressed at all with the suspension - my main reason for wanting this vehicle.
It's off my list forever!

Regards,
SS
Old 15th October 2017, 09:32   #3655
BHPian

Even here in Bangalore, Anant Cars made no effort to bring the Thar for a test drive. They only called in once a week and kept asking if (and when) I would turn up. I strongly believe if they do not put in the effort while making a sale, it just goes downhill from there.
Old 31st October 2017, 09:46   #3656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi View Post

Leaking canopy is an issue i have found a good remedy. Mine is 2 years old, and leaked the whole first year. I live in Gangtok and it rains perennially here.
I got two big tubes of Aradlite and mixed them and added a bit of Woly Black Shoe Cream and voila I got a canopy sealant. Put masking tape across the stitch lines and sealed with this. Looks Neat, Colour Match and not a drop has leaked in since then. Worth the 3 hours of trouble.
Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 12:39   #3657

Tachometer installation On M.Thar

Help Required.
Hi, Can any one help me to install an electronic digital/Analogue tachometer for Mahindra Thar jeep. I am Unable to locate the pulse generator wire for connection.

Thank in advance and regards
Old 12th November 2017, 07:22   #3658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravindran353 View Post
Help Required.
Hi, Can any one help me to install an electronic digital/Analogue tachometer for Mahindra Thar jeep. I am Unable to locate the pulse generator wire for connection.

Thank in advance and regards
Why would you want an additional tachometer? The Thar comes installed with one!

But to answer your question, generally in (older generation) diesel engines, the signal for the tachometer is obtained by tapping a wire from the alternator! But perhaps in modern diesel engines, the signal is obtained from the ECU!
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 12:32   #3659
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravindran353 View Post
I am Unable to locate the pulse generator wire for connection.
If your's is Thar DI, it doesn't have one. If it is Thar CRDe , it comes from the ECM.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 13:09   #3660
BHPian

Yesterday I got the tires changed to Yokohama Geolander AT/S 235/70 R16. Previously was running Maxxis Bravo 771 AT 255/65. The main reason for changing the tires was to reduce the burden on axle/ bearings and reduce tire noise. Also they were set on negative offset rims so the ride was not as good as it came from the factory. I also changed to OE rims which has resulted in complete change in driving dynamics.
The ride is now much more silent, and the vehicle doesn't wander especially when going through a rough patch.
I would suggest not to deviate from original specification of tires and wheels. Changing from stock HT to AT is acceptable but advise not to go for size altercations.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks