Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2011, 18:07   #436
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Nope. As the approach angle is diffferent, wheelbase is different, track is different. Several factors.
What about slush? How would wheelbase matter when climbing a slope, as long as approach, departure and breakover angles do not foul bodywork?
Quote:
Thar can overpower most situations with shear power
With a few more horses under the bonnet, the Scorpio, according to your explanation, should perform better? (though it doesn't...)
Old 10th January 2011, 18:15   #437
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
One thing which was good was that it was never out of breath. It had lots and lots of power in the wheels. The immense power is not for everybody. One of the drivers couldn’t control it and hit another gypsy coming from side. No issue with IFS .

Moral - never give your vehicle to people you do not know, especially if it is a Thar.

I myself drove it at the dune, realised the sheer power in the beast. The vehicle would climb, slide, stall, dig whatever but never did the wheels stop spinning at the sand dune climb. And Power steering - what a blessing it is. Gears were crisp and soft. Switching from my 550 to driving Thar was a pleasant experience.
Dear Yogesh - thank you. I feel sad for the owner.

Dear all - an accident is like a game of chess. The result is always unpredictable. Therefore, you can understand the great detail in which we work to ensure "crashworthiness" of a vehicle. Can't say more.

By the way - NO ISSUE WITH IFS. HERE'S MY SMILEY! .

Spike and I are going to be in Chandigarh from tomorrow afternoon to day after tomorrow afternoon. Chandigarh TeamBHPians, please contact. It is our pleasure to meet you.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 10th January 2011 at 18:18.
Old 10th January 2011, 19:19   #438
Team-BHP Support

This will go on and on and on...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Is the ECM waterproof and theftproof on the THAR ?
Look below for StarAqua's reply, right now sitting vulnerable. Must do list to relocate/water proof from offroad perspective and...

Quote:
Also, why is it always being said that there is a direct relation between the "power technique" and damage? Did 521 ever get damaged at EXAMM and AKC?? and we all know how much of the driving at the EXAMM and AKC was power and "aggression"
Very honestly every body who observed the way vehicle was being treated was Then it was told that the vehicle was being stress tested or something (i really don't know if its true or not). For an offroader the techniques being used was absolutely wrong in many situations. Vehicle was being rammed instead of smoothly piloted. Big blame has to be put on those silly road tyres! Coz we all know how well seasoned the driver is!

But yes there were damages to body/cosmetic parts (it was already running bare bone already). And i really don't have a clue what all mechanical damage the vehicle incurred. Right now i will go with Spike's comment that it was not.

Vehicle never competed in the whole 3 day event, even on day 1 there were times where we never saw the Thar drive some parts. Day 2 i really don't know since i saw the vehicle only very briefly, then again certain stages it could not compete coz it was cancelled. Day 3 i would have personally liked to see it scale that slippery mount. It would have been really a nice site, how the brute vehicle with stock tyres power up. Unfortunately team was in a hurry to get back to work and couldn't participate.

Am not saying it wouldn't have performed, but that would have given a very clear cut picture of how the vehicle survive's, compared to some very old ladies that were in the event.

Last but not least, was the vehicle stock??? he he he Just kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
its neither the THAR nor the ECM. if thief is in hurry he can just simply carry home the ECM which is easily accessible and clearly visible on the left footwell. you just have to unscrew few bolts and unplug the harness that's it. that's the most expensive item you can find inside unless you have installed a very expensive audio system.
True and the reason why i would suggest relocating the same inside the dash or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Just a thought what if MM come's out with a high revving Petrol version of Thar at a price much lower than Gypsy???
That would be juicy but will be like hurricane engine, nobody will buy it lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
More of THAR CRDE rusting pictures below,Dont know what to say reg the shell and interior quality for the price quoted.
This actually is shocking and more i see it more am convinced that a Ver 2 HAS to happen soon!

PS: Look's like we are going in circles. Thar quality > Thar performance > Thar is dud > Thar is Superb > Thar is strong > IFS is weak point > Thar is losing parts > Thar is rusting!!! <infinite loop>

Let us accept it:
  • Thar is a very good overall vehicle
  • It can do lot of things and has some limitations due to design nature
  • Quality has and must improve asap

I think both the camps need to take a break and start putting money where the mouth is.

Would be nice to see some friendly competition between Thar and oldie jeeps and hopefully we will get to see it soon. I still believe if things are done right Thar would really change indian OTR scene, where more and more people join in. With their new Thars!
Old 10th January 2011, 19:54   #439

Re: This will go on and on and on...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Let us accept it:
  • Thar is a very good overall vehicle
  • It can do lot of things and has some limitations due to design nature
  • Quality has and must improve asap

I think both the camps need to take a break and start putting money where the mouth is.

Would be nice to see some friendly competition between Thar and oldie jeeps and hopefully we will get to see it soon. I still believe if things are done right Thar would really change indian OTR scene, where more and more people join in. With their new Thars!

That is it. That is exactly how this thread should be summed up. Completely agree with point 1 and 3, however still a little apprehensive about point 2.
Old 10th January 2011, 20:13   #440
BANNED

Quote:
however still a little apprehensive about point 2.
dont feel bad about it , Its law of nature ,nothing is perfect

Thats why there is always room for improvement

Thats how generations are born ( including humans )

otherwise how boring it woud have been

Sudarshan
Old 10th January 2011, 21:08   #441
Senior - BHPian

Ok so this is actually very weird.

Interiors:

1.Hardcore Jeepers:Well you should be least bothered with the interiors.What would you be doing?-caressing the plastic interiors or looking out for the obstacles on your course?
2.Car people:when you guys are not offroaders.never plan to do hardcore offroading then why bother even buying this?buy a sedan for interiors

You are buying a jeep for gods sake.Its a good 4X4 jeep with a very good expensive engine.Its got the best 4X4 -borg and warner.and its built for taking you through anything.
Infact i am liking the interior.Its way better than that old school metal plate.I hated it.Infact i loved in on the bolero.its tough and built to last.It lasted on my abused bolero!

For 6 lakhs i believe this is maximum bang for the buck.

Now the 4X4:

The Jeep is not made for your offroad examms and akcs.Its not made keeping in mind the OTRs only.Infact i would never want to own any of your specialized OTR vehicles.Because other than your OTR they are useless.Those fixed axles perform great on the OTR and give a ride which is very very bad.

You gypsies perform great on the OTR with its light weight etc etc.And then on a simple village road they make me puke.Why because of their super jumpy ride.

Understand that this is an allrounder.It will perform very very good at the offroads and the road.Unless you place a big boulder necessarily in front of the IFS lower arm.

Offroading is more about the driver than just the vehicle.Yes vehicle plays the part.but its more about the driver.Just look at your own video.Mr. Khan is stuck at a place whereas Mr.Tejas pulls out the Jeep with some effort.You can say that Tejas pulled it out using the engine power but then if it was just engine power then why couldn't Mr.Khan do it?The engine was the same and the jeep was the same.

So if you have the skill then you can take it out.

Oh yes about this breaking and that breaking.Well on all your offroad excursion thread someone breaks something or the other.And most of you carry lots of spares and a mechanic as well.
So what should i derive out of this.Your jeeps are as susceptible as the Thar then.

Also i really didn't want to bring this up but the constant bashing is making me suspicious.
Why is it that this particular lifestyle vehicle is being bashed most.Why wasn't the Xenon 4X4 bashed this much.agreed you guys don't approve of it either but i haven't seen any specific bashing thread on it.

Why is it that you guys are constantly bashing it again and again and again.The vehicle has been launched.Simple commonsense says there will be nothing new for quite some time.you guys don't approve of it.and you guys have made your feelings public once.But why the constant bashing again and again and again.

Are there some vested interests what might have been hurt with the launch of the THAR. A new and improved Thar cannot be expected anytime soon so what is it you want from the company with the constant bashing.

Thar quality:i don't see any glitch in the car with its price tag.The dash has been lifted off the bolero which in itself is decent.

Thar performance:Its superb.very very powerful.

Thar is a DUD: NO it is NOT!

Thar is superb:Yes it is.

Thar is strong:yes it is.

IFS is weak point: How is it a weak point.JUst because it cannot clear on boulder hitting the lower arm?What about the superb ride quality.

Thar is losing parts:what did it loose? the front bumper.That shows the engineering going into the crash worthyness.If the bumper is not made to absorb the impact it will transfer it all to you.Ever tried sitting on a lump of metal and hitting the ground from a meter's hieght.Cars come with tech in which a crash causes it to dump the engine below so that it does not go into the cabin.Now you'll say that the car is loosing engine.

Thar is rusting:well i'll show you worse rusting on cars costing double this.Probably a one off case.because this is a display vehicle its not exactly a proper production run vehicle.
Old 10th January 2011, 21:41   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB
Spike and I are going to be in Chandigarh from tomorrow afternoon to day after tomorrow afternoon. Chandigarh TeamBHPians, please contact. It is our pleasure to meet you.
Ah. Marketing!

Btw, Why don't you and the other guy drop in to Chennai for some promotion?
Old 10th January 2011, 21:43   #443
BHPian

Just got this attachment in a mail from a dealership in Bangalore.

Interesting take on the Thar from a marketing viewpoint!

Has a FAQ, a Thar vs Gypsy and Thar vs MM550/CJ3B comparo as well as Thar spec sheet...and the pricelist calls it a "Bolero Thar" - could that be because of the shared dash?

Can anyone confirm the colors available in the CRDE - no silver mentioned - instead it says Arctic White

Anyway...just thought I would share.

The dealer had no idea about warranty for self fitting AC and Hardtop - the roll cage will cost 18,000 including installation.

Regards,
Manas
Attached Files
File Type: xls Mahindra Thar Price List.xls (736.0 KB, 1418 views)
Old 10th January 2011, 21:51   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
The Jeep is not made for your offroad examms and akcs.Its not made keeping in mind the OTRs only.Infact i would never want to own any of your specialized OTR vehicles.Because other than your OTR they are useless.Those fixed axles perform great on the OTR and give a ride which is very very bad.

You gypsies perform great on the OTR with its light weight etc etc.And then on a simple village road they make me puke.Why because of their super jumpy ride.

Understand that this is an allrounder.It will perform very very good at the offroads and the road.Unless you place a big boulder necessarily in front of the IFS lower arm.
You make a very valid point, but the off-roaders are looking for a vehicle that they can drive 500 kms highway drive with family and then do and Exxaam and come back home.
Old 10th January 2011, 21:55   #445
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ok so this is actually very weird.
===========
Thar is rusting:well i'll show you worse rusting on cars costing double this.Probably a one off case.because this is a display vehicle its not exactly a proper production run vehicle.
So true! So here is wishing you the very best with your Thar purchase, its really a good car with which you can do offroad. ATVB and looking forward to your report.

Glad that you are not paying 7.3 lakhs like we BLR people

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
Just got this attachment in a mail from a dealership in Bangalore.

Interesting take on the Thar from a marketing viewpoint!
==========
Regards,
Manas
Following had me in splits! But its true also, from the attached excel ^^

Quote:
–The Thar is a specialized vehicle and its cost lies in the special equipment it has that aids its 4x4 abilities
Old 10th January 2011, 22:01   #446
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Jaggu!

Well the registration would be about 18k and the insurance about 18-19k as well.And the ex showroom price is 5.85 here.So adds up to a mouthwatering price.After that it would go straight to Mahindra customisation.

Feeling Jealous!

:P
Old 10th January 2011, 22:04   #447
BHPian

Even Wrangler is bashed for 500 km rides. And I have seen you guys post huge threads about how off road specific tyres won't take the beating of highway rides AND will affect braking.

All in all, I think the vocal minority is trying to drown the vehicle away
Old 10th January 2011, 22:08   #448
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Feeling Jealous!

:P
Not at all! On the contrary feeling happy that Thar is selling. Another member pm'ed me with his need, similar to yours. I have suggested him Thar instead of going the longer route like us, coz Thar fits his bill to a T.

For us Thar needs a lot of rework and then we will hit the road block, instead work on another platform that is more versatile from day 1. Isn't that logical, more over we get better fit and finish at cheaper price, be it BLR or CH

EDIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubuS View Post
All in all, I think the vocal minority is trying to drown the vehicle away
So true again, just like the silent Indian consumer getting taken for a ride, time and again by manufacturers. What will the vocal minority do in this country? lo

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th January 2011 at 22:13.
Old 10th January 2011, 22:59   #449
BHPian

Hi I am planning to buy a Thar. Willing to spend another 1.5L-2L to upgrade the vehicle. Looking for better interiors, HT(removable front end like the wrangler), AC, alloys.Is it possible. Kindly suggest who and where? P.S. How much will it cost to put a multi purpose steering wheel instead of the current one or a smaller sporty one.
Old 10th January 2011, 23:05   #450
BANNED

The Thar Conundrum:

1. Why the crappy interiors? Its an offroader, it doesnt need good interiors.
2. Will it do extreme offroading? It has IFS for better on-road performance.

So, what is it?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 12th January 2011 at 17:33. Reason: let's not use words like 'bashing' etc. we can state our opinions wtihout these also. Hope you understand.!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks