Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2011, 14:17   #856
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

M&M: 102235 views to your thread. Something must be right for this to happen. Do take the criticism positively.

Product is good and caters to a good part of the market but please iron out the defects. As you said you cannot cater to everyone but if everyone is shouting the same stuff then the defect needs to be looked into.

Just a comparison. Every body in india shouts corruption but the govt does not do anything about it. Please do not become a sloth like the govt and work on it.

Speedy has had numerous issues with the booking and delivery process. Looks like the launch date was made without rest of the processes streamlined. Please do the needful.

PS: I own 3 Mahindras and 2 belong to the jeep family. 1 is their cousin the bolero. This is a very passionate appeal and am saying again that you got a platform on which you can do a lot of various variants like JEEP.

I will remain a watcher now. Hope things improve.
Old 5th February 2011, 14:32   #857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post

Speedy has had numerous issues with the booking and delivery process. Looks like the launch date was made without rest of the processes streamlined. Please do the needful.
For your information, we have imported cars too and done things on the phone. That was a ride on a magic carpet with everything being transparent with no stories and lies involved. On the other hand being in the same city and with a negligible amount in commparrision to the cars imported, i have had to endure stories and fiction. It is the people that need to be streamlined and not the process. I could have waited for 2 months also provided the people involved were truthful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
I will remain a watcher now. Hope things improve.
I see you have Mahindra cars, but yet you want to be a spectator regarding the Thar and not put your money on the table. This speaks volumes on your confidence on the Thar and M&M. Happy Watching and waiting for M&M to do things your and many other hopefull members way.
Old 5th February 2011, 22:40   #858
Senior - BHPian

I got a chance to test drive the Thar today. Firstly i must say, the engine is really nice. No vibrations, nice power delivery, all in all a very good driving experience. It fun too

BUTTT.. I saw the 'hacksaw cut plastics' with my own eyes and i can totally understand why there are so many pages just discussing the plastics. The vehicle is brilliant and if only the finer details had been taken care of...

PS: I am no off roader, but i learnt driving on a MM540 and drive a Bolero off and on, so i think i can say i know how a Jeep feels.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 5th February 2011 at 22:43.
Old 5th February 2011, 23:46   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I got a chance to test drive the Thar today. Firstly i must say, the engine is really nice. No vibrations, nice power delivery, all in all a very good driving experience. It fun too

BUTTT.. I saw the 'hacksaw cut plastics' with my own eyes and i can totally understand why there are so many pages just discussing the plastics. The vehicle is brilliant and if only the finer details had been taken care of...

PS: I am no off roader, but i learnt driving on a MM540 and drive a Bolero off and on, so i think i can say i know how a Jeep feels.
Where you got TD, in Pune? Is that Thar CRDe 4x4? if yes can you please give details about the showroom.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 6th February 2011, 00:12   #860
Senior - BHPian

^^ I got to drive it through a friend who works for a publication. Yes it was the 4x4 Crde.
Old 6th February 2011, 09:40   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
^^ I got to drive it through a friend who works for a publication. Yes it was the 4x4 Crde.
Oh I thought in showroom, you are lucky.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 6th February 2011, 19:15   #862
BHPian

Spotted the first Thar CRDe on Bangalore roads today. Owner was a widlife photographer. He said his was the first 2011 thar delivered in Bangalore.

He was very happy about the vehicle except for the rattles coming from the Soft-top. A/C has not arrived and he is still waiting. He said something about having ordered or trying to import hard-top from SA. But am not fully sure I got what he said since he was in a hurry.I have got his # and will get in touch with him later this week.

I have still not got delivery of my Thar and the dealership is unsure about the delivery. Sad State.

Regards
Old 6th February 2011, 21:17   #863
BHPian

Chennai gets a thar too late - and with these delays, the pressure of needing another car at home is increasing :( I am booking a cruze for now - looks like Thar is going to wait it out for 1.5-2 years more for me!
Old 7th February 2011, 06:39   #864
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I think now you will be convinced if I once again humbly request you to buy the vehicle which we have just launched. Then use it and enjoy it. Where is the great issue? It's all in your mind. There is just no comparison / competition. We know what we have done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
BTW, can a new vehicle teach me as much as an old Jeep?

Oh, I have mentioned the issue long back, and repeatedly. I need HT and AC. Also, the dealers are saying that Thar will lose warranty if tyres are changed or seats are changed, etc. Now that is an added concern.
@DB Sir, HT and AC are the basic requirements of the THAR for many on the forum. Else there is no VFM.

BTW, thanks for the wonderful explanation.

Also, can you work on:

1. Slicker Gear shift throws
2. Better steering input and response
3. Better Braking above 120 kph
4. Better finish of the dashboard

Please? I'm waiting
Old 7th February 2011, 08:32   #865
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Vikram - thanks for your 4 point list. For example, take point no 3. It is very much doable because that's what common platform design is all about and - that's what this vehicle is all about. Now you are beginning to understand.

Now you will know what all has gone in that dirty looking non-descrepit MH01V521. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 7th February 2011, 09:04   #866
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

1. Slicker Gear shift throws
2. Better steering input and response
3. Better Braking above 120 kph
I have driven it , steering & gearshift is miles ahead then the cj/540, far ahead ,trust me
Quote:
4. Better finish of the dashboard
TOTALLY ( personally I don't mind things like this If the mechanicals are good & worthy ,& they are here )

Sudarshan
Old 7th February 2011, 09:45   #867
BHPian

DB Sir,
my personal opinion why the Thar gets so much bashing is only bcoz of A/C and Removeable 2/3 piece Hardtop, both of which are essential in today's life, even as 2nd/3rd vehicle.
anyone who is going to shell out over 6 lakhs for the thar crde will not like to park his car in the open, without any of minimal safety the HT gives.
if you can bring in the HT asap, 50-60% sales increase you can expect, with another 15-20% for a/c. the rest - all are doable, customer centric features, better handled by dealers or after market accesories shops.
Best Regards for bringing out the THAR but my sincere request is to kindly lend your ear and mind for prospective buyers.
Old 7th February 2011, 10:30   #868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

THERE IS NO WAY OLD GENERATION VEHICLES CAN EVEN DREAM OF MATCHING WHAT WE HAVE RECENTLY DONE. THE SOONER PEOPLE UNDERSTAND IT, THE BETTER IT WILL BE FOR ALL CONCERNED.
Quote:
Dear Sharath - Looking at the photograph, I think the axle articulation control stopper fitted to the chassis of your vehicle has broken. The axle will move up by 99 mm in spike test and the housing will hit the sump. This is the exact reason why we have given IFS in our recently launched vehicle. Please look into and get it replaced.
Quote:

And now, let me directly ask you and all those who say that "my guy can do a better job than M&M" now - any counter arguments? Forget it. Your guy cannot even get access to a decent machine shop. And, by the way, you took 12 hours for 400 kms? You remember that I had talked of running rings? Let's leave it at that. And how much more work will you do to your CJ340? I think all said and done, it will finally cost you same as a brand new vehicle with VFM = 0. I think now you will be convinced if I once again humbly request you to buy the vehicle which we have just launched. Then use it and enjoy it. Where is the great issue? It's all in your mind. There is just no comparison / competition. We know what we have done.

I REST MY CASE. Q.E.D - means, whatever was to be proved has been proved. .
Hello DB sir,

Nice to have you with a bang.

We are amazed with the Engineering and Effort put by M&M over the years.

Please tell us technically
1) Track/Wheel Base/Caster/Camber/KPI of CJ3B
2) Track/Wheel Base/Caster/Camber/KPI of MM540
3) Track/Wheel Base/Caster/Camber/KPI of FJ460DP

The CL550MDI has a 51" OKBJ with a Idler Arm Steering system aka old jeep type.

was the Caster/Camber and KPI corrected for this specific vehicle?

Also was it corrected again for the "recently launched vehicle"?

From the same engineering we got the Mahindra Tourister with the S4.33 with Isuzu 5 Speed Gear box, I don't know which was more dissatisfied the engine or the gear box, they just kept parting ways.

Another interesting bit of Engineering is the Bolero and the subsequent FFRA debate.

Bolero has FFRA, but the Commercial Vehicles don't have FFRA, Surprisingly though the Scorpio is a heavier vehicle it doesn't sport FFRA, I guess the power loss and emission issues associated with FFRA.

What happened to the MLD? or Eaton M-Locker or G80 Locker?

A recently launched vehicle also sported a Solid Axle, since it is expected to be engineered, I hope under a spike the Diff won't thrash the well engineered sump; without sump guard.

If M&M had half a decent Lathe and workshop and engineering we would been enjoying Solid Axle Coil Springs or maybe a Thar IFS/IRS. (AXE does not count).

Regards,

Arka

PS - If M&M knew what they have done, then they will not need to reiterate it again and again and again, it looks like they need to convince themselves more and more about it
Old 7th February 2011, 11:24   #869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Vikram - thanks for your 4 point list. For example, take point no 3. It is very much doable because that's what common platform design is all about and - that's what this vehicle is all about. Now you are beginning to understand.

Now you will know what all has gone in that dirty looking non-descrepit MH01V521. .

Dear DB Sir,

I would love to check out and TD MH 1V 521. With the elusive appearance of the vehicle to Chennai, I AM BEGINNING TO UNDERSTAND

Best regards
Old 7th February 2011, 11:50   #870
Senior - BHPian

I finally got my car on the 5th of Feb after having to loose my top completly. The car was promised to be delivered at 12pm on Saturday at my office and since it was going to be on TC plates i did not want to drive it from home to the office. So the Mahindra driver was to bring the car from their Service center.
My mother had come to the office to perform the Puja for the new car, but little did we know that we would have to be looking for the car. My office person called up the sales person to know the car was on its way and had left at 10.30am from the service center. At Around 1pm another call was made this time to the ASM Mumbai and he refused to pick up the phone and second attempt and he cut it off, so much for that. I called the sales person and he said the left side door was not opening and the driver took the car back. I really wonder that a driver has taken a car at 10.30am and has found out a 1pm that a door of a new car does not open. The distance between the Service center and my office is at the max an hour in traffic. The story's given had gotten a bit too much, so i just told the person, i would send my driver with a flatbed and he'll load it. If the door or any other part of the car has fallen off, my driver would throw it in the back and bring the car to the office. The car finally made an appearance by 3:15pm, by this time my parents had left and no puja was performed. The Mahindra driver put the ribbons and the garland on the car. My office staff signed the recieved documents and my driver parked the car at the garage. I did not even see the car till much later.

By the way the car has yet not been registered. 30th to the 7th, the longest registration process till now. A normal car would take 4 working day, but then again this is a Mahindra and that too the THAR.

Here are two pictures taken of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-mahindra-thar.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-mahindra-thar-side.jpg  

Last edited by speedy : 7th February 2011 at 11:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks