Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2011, 00:57   #481
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to get the maximum Fuel Efficiency

@condor The Fiesta was first launched with a 1.4L petrol heart which was later discontinued.
@sidharth 10Kmpl is fine for the city inbounds IMO.
Old 3rd April 2011, 08:04   #482
BHPian

can anyone having Estilo (old gen with 4 pot) verify the average.
Currently checked full tank to full tank and it returned me 11kmpl with 50% AC in city with heavy footed pedal / 12.6kmpl with light footed pedal / Highway 15 kmpl with speed varying from 90 to 130kmph.

about a year ago with light foot and not exceeding 90kmph returned me 17kmpl.

Asking here coz mine crossed 40k band and need inputs before I can go to MSIL for next servicing.
Old 3rd April 2011, 09:59   #483
BHPian

Re: 1.4 Ford Fiesta low Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Siddharth, the Fiesta never came in 1.4 petrol. Either you have a 1.4 Diesel or a 1.6 petrol. If it is a petrol, then the FE is okay-ish. If diesel, then it is on the lower side.

1. Check where you get you diesel from. Try another bunk.
2. Check air pressure in your tyres. Very likely cause of lower FE. Try increasing it by 1-2 psi.
3. Correct way to measure FE in cars : top-up to top-up. Fill it all the way to top where you can see the fuel in the tank inlet, drive around, and again fill up to the same point.

@condor Mine is 1.4 Ford Fiesta Petrol variant. If you say 9-10km/lit for petrol is kinda acceptable then I am over reacting Again, I wanted to make sure I have gone though everything, if possible pull it to 11-12km/lit.
Old 3rd April 2011, 12:26   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
The blue meter on AC console is the temperature thermostat. If you set it to extreme left i.e. completely turned to blue side, the compressor will operate for longer duration as you have set lower temperature and vice-versa. Even when the AC switch is ON, it is not necessary that compressor will operate continuously. It automatically turns off and on depending on temperature set.
Okay, so let's say in a car like Ford Figo that does not have automatic climate control, will the compressor turn off? I don't have any way to set the temperature to any specific value.
Old 4th April 2011, 19:55   #485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharth_menon View Post
Thanks libranof1987,

I agree about the style & other conditions, I have done like 600kms till now with 1000k refill each time. I drove in traffic & open roads the difference is not much, 16lit last me just 150-160kms.

16km/lit is the max I have heard, I don't mind even if I achieve 12-14.
Air pressure is optimal, I was thinking of checking my spark plugs & fuel filter.

@kiku007 Mine is Petrol.
My Fiesta 1.6 Petrol gives 8/9 KmpL in City. So don't be surprised. The 1.4L Petrol might give 1/2 Km more. 16 kmpL is for the 1.4L Diesel buddy. Looks like you are misinformed. A ford petrol giving 16 KmpL? The driver should be a saint to pull that kind of a figure
Old 5th April 2011, 08:50   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Looks like you are misinformed. A ford petrol giving 16 KmpL? The driver should be a saint to pull that kind of a figure
Hehehe, yeah even I was like petrol sadan with 16km/lit? A more real figure is 11-12km/lit after chating with few more owners.

I was talking to one of my friend, he suggested me to do few thing (not directly effecting FE but would smoothen out engine)

- Open the air intake cover above engine & spay STP carburetor cleaner. (specific grade) This also cleans the piston heads.
- Get injectors cleaned using ultrasonic technique ( ~400 bucks)
- Spark plugs change ~400-500
- And perhaps IFTEX Grade G to clean up the fuel system

Can somebody suggest where I can get IFTEX ?
Old 5th April 2011, 09:34   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharth_menon View Post
Can somebody suggest where I can get IFTEX ?
You can get IFTEX at most BP pumps.
Old 6th April 2011, 21:17   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
There is no thermostat/temperature setting in the lower end cars such as Alto or Santro. The compressor cuts off when a certain level of ice build-up is detected, that is all. Similarly, when we set a higher temperature level, temperature is maintained just by operating the heater concurrently with the Ac.

The FE advantage gained in my Alto with the AC on/off is just 2 KMPL in city and 1 KMPL on the highways.
Hi. I too have the same doubt whether Palio GTX is equipped with thermostat. A/C mechanic told me its a mixture control kinda thing where hot water from the coolant and a/c produces the desired temperature. It will not cut off like in regular home A/C. He advised me to keep in the extreme cool zone. When we tested the blower temperature the A/C was running constantly till 2.5C reached in the blower grill temperature. It was cutoff below that temp. Also Keeping the A/C at speed 3 and 4 easily takes the grill temp to 10 ~13 degree. This makes the A/C compressor never cuts off increasing fuel consumption. Now I believe keeping the A/C at 1 speed or 2 speed can easily gain 0.5Km mileage if the evaporater thermostat cuts at 2.5C. Also I noticed cooling effect is more in speed 1 & 2.
Old 6th April 2011, 23:14   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
Hi. I too have the same doubt whether Palio GTX is equipped with thermostat. A/C mechanic told me its a mixture control kinda thing where hot water from the coolant and a/c produces the desired temperature. It will not cut off like in regular home A/C. He advised me to keep in the extreme cool zone. When we tested the blower temperature the A/C was running constantly till 2.5C reached in the blower grill temperature. It was cutoff below that temp. Also Keeping the A/C at speed 3 and 4 easily takes the grill temp to 10 ~13 degree. This makes the A/C compressor never cuts off increasing fuel consumption. Now I believe keeping the A/C at 1 speed or 2 speed can easily gain 0.5Km mileage if the evaporater thermostat cuts at 2.5C. Also I noticed cooling effect is more in speed 1 & 2.
Your conclusion and your mechanics conclusions are spot on. Speeds 3 and 4 are to be used in the Palio when there are rear seat passengers.
One more point for fuel efficiency for all Petrol 1.6 Palios and Petras is to keep the rpm above 2000 when on highway runs.
Fuel flow is cut on decelerating only when the engine is above 2000rpm.
Old 10th April 2011, 09:14   #490
BHPian

Very helpful thread guys... I do have one question.

Do the extra octane fuels like Xtra Premium and Xtra Mile have any real impact on fuel efficiency? Especially given the price difference... for example Xtra Mile comes for a 15% price hike, so does it give a 15% better mileage?

Also, a personal question... what fuel is best suited for a Skoda Laura... regular or Xtra Mile diesel?

A response would be much appreciated.
Old 20th April 2011, 22:59   #491
BHPian

All diesels other than normal unadulterated diesel is prohibited for all CRDI engines. In fact it is safer to use moderately adulterated diesel than using any of the expensive concoctions from any of the companies.
Old 20th April 2011, 23:04   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgkaran View Post
Do the extra octane fuels like Xtra Premium and Xtra Mile have any real impact on fuel efficiency?
A response would be much appreciated.
IF your car in the case of Petrol cars does not have the high compression ratio to make use of high octane fuel your fuel efficiency will actually go down on using premium fuels. Super diesels are prohibited for all CRDI engines.
Old 21st April 2011, 00:21   #493
Distinguished - BHPian

Chanced upon this thread at just the right time.

Did a Mysore-Wayanad-Mysore in a 60k run Alto (a friend's car).
Total Kms run: 490
Total fuel put in: 16.8(in KL) + 8.4(in KA) = 25.2
KMPL: 19.44!

I am at awe at this figure considering the winding roads of Wayanad, age of car and 100% AC usage!!

The driving:
Stuck to well below 65 for most of the route, never did hard braking or acceleration, anticipated ill moving truckers and planned overtakes so that the speed never went above 70. Was in a relaxed mood overall, hence was going very easy!

Last edited by Dry Ice : 21st April 2011 at 00:24.
Old 21st April 2011, 01:02   #494
BHPian

It happens with a Monkey!
Old 22nd April 2011, 12:30   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
IF your car in the case of Petrol cars does not have the high compression ratio to make use of high octane fuel your fuel efficiency will actually go down on using premium fuels. Super diesels are prohibited for all CRDI engines.
I have the same observation with my Santro (7.25 years, 72.5k) - normal petrol seems to work better than the premium ones. I do have a question on it though - given the claimed benefits of engine maintenance through the use of these premium fuels, does it help to use these once every 3-4 fills or should one rather use additives during each service? Honestly, I have tried both without any significant benefits on FE.

Do HMIL recommended additives work?

Last 2 weeks:

Week 1 (Normal, 30-70 City-Highway) 360k for 19.6l (18.37 kpl)
Week 2 (Premium, 40-60 City-Highway) 417k for 25l (16.68 kpl)

--------------------------

Though I have not been through each post on this topic to confirm whether this has been covered in recommended practices -

Pick 2 reliable pumps - one near your home, and the other near your office/frequented point - helps forming a routine for refueling, preventing any scrambles to tank up at unknown spots.

Most Viewed