Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2011, 23:10   #91
BHPian

re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

Hi All

I am back from the painters shop. today had been a hectic day. We have been able to get the original shade as mentioned in the previous post. The second coat of asthar (a form of protection in his own jargon) which was applied yesterday and along with the putty has been completely rubbed off with the sand paper. Tomorrow the actual painting process begins. my painter is leaving no stones unturned he has got so oinvolved in the project that he has rubbed not only the outside of the panel and body but also the inside of the same. I wish i could let you all know how smooth the body has become, when i touched i felt as though i was touching a new vehicle from the showroom, the body has turned out to be so smooth, you can see it reflecting the light and shining in some of the pictures,and trust me this is without the painting work started. I am eagerly awaiting for tomorrow.

Since took loads of pictures sharing with you enjoy.

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-233.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-234.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-235.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-236.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-237.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-238.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-239.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-240.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-241.jpg

I am eager to upload the pictures but feeling really exhausted will upload the remaining pictures tomorrow. Sorry for the delay folks.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
sushil_n79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 23:32   #92
BHPian

re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

Hi All,
On second thoughts felt that it would not be nice on my part to disappoint people who have been closely following this thread, hence I am uploading all the pictures for you to enjoy...

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-242.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-243.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-244.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-245.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-246.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-247.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-248.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-249.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-250.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-251.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-252.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-253.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-254.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-255.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-256.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-257.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-258.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-259.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed the pictures,Will post new ones tomorrow. till then thanks for following this thread.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Old 6th September 2011, 10:46   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys - yes, there are many grey areas for us locally to define what does or does not be considered fit for this section. We took a decision to have a cut off date of 1975, making all the vehicles in this section over 35 years old - I think that's fair enough. As a result many threads on Padminis, 118NEs and Bajajs were moved out into the 2 wheeler section.

In this case the scooter is 1974, so stays in the section. I'm sure the Bangalore scooter club has many Bajaj 150s participating in every event too.

Its a little strange to digest, I agree, but we do feel this is the best formula for now - purely age, rather than pedigree of the vehicle - which is a whole other discussion altogether.

Sushil - can you be more specific regarding your query on short forms? Thanks.

Last edited by GTO : 7th September 2011 at 14:21. Reason: Removing quoted posts which have been deleted
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 10:56   #94
BHPian

Hey Sushil, good to see the progress of the Bajaj 150! Can't wait to see it shining in full glory!

Coming to the topic of this thread being the the Post War section. Let the moderators take a final call about it. I am not an expert when it comes to classic / vintage stuff but I have heard a thumb rule that states that any vehicle more than 30 years old is a classic and any vehicle more than 50 years old is vintage. I may be wrong but I have heard this from many people. In case of Sushil's 1974 Bajaj 150, it is definitely a classic by simple maths. 2011 - 1974 = 37 years.

Ideally any vehicle no longer in production and loved by it's owner is a classic! When we can have Premier Padminis and 118 NEs from the late 1980s participate in the various Fiat Classic Clubs, why can't a 1974 Bajaj 150 be a part of any classic scooter club? Let the founders of the clubs take that call. Anyway like I said, let the moderators take a final call as far as this thread is concerned. I personally feel that it's perfectly fine in the Post War section.

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.

PS : Thanks for the clarification Karl! Did not see your post before as I was typing out mine!

Last edited by Scarlet_Rider : 6th September 2011 at 10:58.
Scarlet_Rider is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 11:59   #95
Senior - BHPian

Sushil needs to be given full marks for his restoration.Its a very patient effort and a dedicated one too.
Coming to the antiquity part,I honestly think that a 1974 Bajaj 150 can be very well categorised as a Classic machine,purely by the time capsule.
HCSC welcomes such scooters and its owners and ecourages them to restore such beauties.Infact,HCSC has categorised a separate segment - NEO CLASSICS,where LML Vespas from 80s can be invited to participate in the club.
I also believe that no club gets diluted from its attention,if a yesteryear Priya or Bajaj 150 is displayed part of the club.
@Pavan,you are most welcome to bring your Priya to our HCSC meet next time.
hillram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 14:50   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Guys - yes, there are many grey areas for us locally to define what does or does not be considered fit for this section. We took a decision to have a cut off date of 1975, making all the vehicles in this section over 35 years old - I think that's fair enough.
Good decision by Team-BHP in fixing a cutoff date as 1975! This clears all doubts and members who start threads in the future will ensure to start them in the correct section. Wanted to check with the moderators if these details/tips can be included in the FAQ section on creating threads.

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Scarlet_Rider is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 21:24   #97
BHPian

Hi All

A long discussion we all had after which I am glad to know that we are all on the same page.

Now getting back to the topic I am back with the updates for all.

The dome has been again sent to the denter for removing the minor dents which were caused by a drunkard driver yesterday. My painter ended up bashing up that poor fellow. I met my denter today who assured me that things have been taken care of and not to worry on that front.

Today morning since the Sun shone bright I am sure the under coat would have been applied. I am also hoping that the first coat of paint would have been applied . My painter is all enthusiastic about the project and is doing things which he claims has not done in many years and is hoping to finish off the painting work by this Friday after which it will be sent to my mechanic for assembling which should approximately take another two to three days. hopefully I should have her back home by sometime next week,

In fact my painter said that when he had gone to procure the shade the shop keeper who was an old and experienced person was surprised as he said the last time this shade was ever sold was atleast about a decade ago. That statement indeed pleases me because it makes the scooter stand out of the crowd, a trade mark displayed by all scooters of HCSC.

As I have not been able to see the vehicle today ,will upload the pictures once the I meet the painter. Since reached home after work only at 7:30PM he had closed the shop earlier than the normal time today. Sorry for the delay in the same.

Take care and keep smiling always.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Old 7th September 2011, 21:45   #98
BHPian

HI All

As promised I am back with the updates again. I had an opportunity to speak to my painter today and he said that the painting was completed and the only thing remaining was to give it the glass coat to preserve that everlasting shine. He claimed that it was especially important when the vehicle was done up in 2K paint.
Today also I have not been able to see the vehicle ,will upload the pictures once the I meet the painter. Since reached home after work only at 8:00PM I was supposed to meet the painter but since it started raining heavily he had to close his shop today also. I am dying to see how the scooter has turned out to be, somebody please teach me how to hold on to my anxiousness.Sorry for the delay in the same I am sure you all might also be eager to see the Pictures. Hopefully I should be able to get them tomorrow.

Thank-you all for the ever lasting kind words, suggestions and encouragement . Its going to be a wonderful moment to see her in person tomorrow.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Old 8th September 2011, 11:17   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
HI All

As promised I am back with the updates again. I had an opportunity to speak to my painter today and he said that the painting was completed and the only thing remaining was to give it the glass coat to preserve that everlasting shine. He claimed that it was especially important when the vehicle was done up in 2K paint.
Today also I have not been able to see the vehicle ,will upload the pictures once the I meet the painter. Since reached home after work only at 8:00PM I was supposed to meet the painter but since it started raining heavily he had to close his shop today also. I am dying to see how the scooter has turned out to be, somebody please teach me how to hold on to my anxiousness.Sorry for the delay in the same I am sure you all might also be eager to see the Pictures. Hopefully I should be able to get them tomorrow.

Thank-you all for the ever lasting kind words, suggestions and encouragement . Its going to be a wonderful moment to see her in person tomorrow.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Hi..
It must be so exciting to see your scoot finally painted and all shining.. I hope the paint job turns out splendid and the shine becomes everlasting as the painter says. Eagerly waiting for the pics..

I have a question for all the experts here. I have come across two features of Chetak as shown in the below picture, namely, trapezoidal headlamp & tail lamp with a bracket. But i have not across any scooter which has both of them together. Can anybody throw some light on this? Did chetak ever came with both the features together? If yes, what would be the probably period of manufacture?

Sushil i apologise for hijacking your thread again. Couldnt find a better place to ask this question.

Priyadarshan
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-chetak.jpg  

priyadarshan.b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 13:49   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
Hi..
It must be so exciting to see your scoot finally painted and all shining.. I hope the paint job turns out splendid and the shine becomes everlasting as the painter says. Eagerly waiting for the pics..

I have a question for all the experts here. I have come across two features of Chetak as shown in the below picture, namely, trapezoidal headlamp & tail lamp with a bracket. But i have not across any scooter which has both of them together. Can anybody throw some light on this? Did chetak ever came with both the features together? If yes, what would be the probably period of manufacture?

Sushil i apologise for hijacking your thread again. Couldnt find a better place to ask this question.

Priyadarshan
The scooter with tail lamp bracket is a unique model then having special features, it came along with side indicators, ignition key on the handle that is taken from bajaj super/priya (later model), reflectors on the front mud gaurd and this was the first electronic scooter i'm not sure if it was 12v or 6v, the tail lamp bracket was another unique feature with spare wheel and US spec tail lamp i.e., orange and red reflectors embedded into it similar to a Rajdoot motorcycle. No these scooter never came with trapezoidal handle (these were earlier to this special model) and tail lamp bracket both together, but it had the bajaj super handle with ignition key.
chanu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 14:58   #101
BHPian

What a coincidence! I happened to see a Chetak with a similar tail lamp yesterday on my way to office. The spare tyre was fitted around the tail lamp. But the head lamp was the regular round one. Could not take pics as I was in the office cab and the scooter headed in a different direction.
Old 8th September 2011, 15:33   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
The scooter with tail lamp bracket is a unique model then having special features, it came along with side indicators, ignition key on the handle that is taken from bajaj super/priya (later model), reflectors on the front mud gaurd and this was the first electronic scooter i'm not sure if it was 12v or 6v, the tail lamp bracket was another unique feature with spare wheel and US spec tail lamp i.e., orange and red reflectors embedded into it similar to a Rajdoot motorcycle. No these scooter never came with trapezoidal handle (these were earlier to this special model) and tail lamp bracket both together, but it had the bajaj super handle with ignition key.
It seems that the chetaks offerred here were either with tail lamp bracket or with a trapezoidal headlamp.

The dark blue scooter in the above picture is a Bajaj Deluxe, seems to be a US-export-only model. Found the pictures on a US club website. Here are the detailed pictures of bajaj deluxe as i found it. I was pretty suprised to see this model as i heard it for the first time. You will find it interesting..

Priyadarshan
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-bajajdeluxe1_290.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-bajajdeluxe2_765.jpg  

priyadarshan.b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 19:58   #103
Senior - BHPian

These trapazoid headlight Bajaj chetaks are available dime a dozen in Mallepally area.They can be pickep up at a value ranging from Rs.1000 to Rs.3000.One mechanic has 10 of them and doesnt know what to do...no takers.
Old 8th September 2011, 21:06   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
Hi..

Priyadarshan
Hi Priyadarshan,

Its alright mate no worries. In fact I should be thanking you because I have also seen a couple of these models in the city, always thought that it was a modification done by the owner of the same. Thanks to you today only I came to know that these were indeed original models and not modified ones.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Old 8th September 2011, 21:39   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
HI All

As promised I am back with the updates again.
Hopefully I should be able to get them tomorrow.

Thank-you all for the ever lasting kind words, suggestions and encouragement .

Its going to be a wonderful moment to see her in person tomorrow.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Hi All

The moment of truth has finally arrived. I visited my painter today and saw the scooter its come out really well. Without wasting further time I ll upload some pictures for you all right from when the paint was applied and it was wet.
Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-260.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-261.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-262.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-263.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-264.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-265.jpg

Its surprising to know that the wet paint looks a different shade and after the same dries the paint looks like as below.

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-266.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-267.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-268.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-269.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-270.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-271.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-272.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-273.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-274.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-275.jpg

However the gloss that we see here is without the polish. my painter says after the fitting is over he will polish it completely before it is ready for use.Hope you enjoyed the pictures .
Request inputs from the experts

PS. I just noticed that my thread has crossed the 100 posts mark

Thanks again for the valuable suggestions.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks