Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2011, 00:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sembra una vespa! - story of a Wasp to Vespa

Body work begun last week, paint has been completely removed and the scooter is made into bare metal. Body needs attention as the flooring is rusted in the middle, center frame is also corroded but only the upper part because of the rubber mat which is stuck to the frame. Rear seat mounting is also cracked because of incorrect support from bottom. The best part is this scooter is getting a new floor for the first time, she has also got the rear tail lamp wiring cast/pipe still intact and original (marked with red color box below), those days denters/mechanic used to remove because they are blocked and the wiring cannot be inserted, we are saving it hence will clear the blockade in case any.

Thorough denting will be done on the scooter to bring back the original shape, luckily I have the master skilled denter, he assured will manage to get the proper curves, lines etc. work moving on briskly and will get completed this week and what the painting process will begin...
Attached Thumbnails
Sembra una vespa! - story of a Wasp to Vespa-tao.jpg  

Sembra una vespa! - story of a Wasp to Vespa-p190711_15.27_01.jpg  

Sembra una vespa! - story of a Wasp to Vespa-p190711_15.27.jpg  

Sembra una vespa! - story of a Wasp to Vespa-p190711_15.27_03.jpg  

Sembra una vespa! - story of a Wasp to Vespa-p190711_15.28.jpg  

Sembra una vespa! - story of a Wasp to Vespa-p190711_15.28_01.jpg  

Sembra una vespa! - story of a Wasp to Vespa-p190711_15.28_03.jpg  

Old 31st July 2011, 20:22   #17
BHPian

I know that you will make a superb job of this vehicle Bala - I will eagerly watch it take shape now. I have to say, I really like the colour shade that the scooter came to you in.

Regards
Ed
Old 31st July 2011, 23:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsuede View Post
I know that you will make a superb job of this vehicle Bala - I will eagerly watch it take shape now. I have to say, I really like the colour shade that the scooter came to you in.

Regards
Ed
Hey thanks Ed for the confidence you have, actually I feel the difference between the best and normal restoration is the people behind it, I am lucky that I've got people who understand what I want from them and vice verse.

The previous color is nice but it was popular on the later versions of a species called 'Cheatak' which had this shade, this was in fag end of 90's that it was very much popular in Hyderabad and Bajaj brand use to sport this color and sales were also good in our city Hyderabad, you could find every other Cheatak to be in this color even today.
Old 31st August 2011, 11:52   #19
BHPian

HI bala

Did not see you updating this thread for a long time now...wanted to know the updates on this project. Please update the thread soon

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Old 7th September 2011, 23:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

I know I haven't updated this thread for ages sorry for that, now but I have valid reasons for it. First it was the holy month of Ramzaan so work got slow, denter had few vehicle which were committed to be delivered to painter for Ramzaan so he requested me to hold on, then his family issues so another speed breaker for another week somehow he committed to deliver the scooter this week so waiting for that.

Now that the monsoon is around I myself am not hurrying to get the scooter done even if denting is complete, I don't mind keeping it stored as I really don't want to take chances in painting, however top the quality paint I am going to use or however skilled my painter is but still both are helpless against nature, I feel until and unless you have a hot day, bright sun shine, no moisture in the climate I will hold on, it's not the time I race with but it's quality of work I bet to do.
Old 25th October 2011, 03:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

some updates on the scooter after a long time. I agree this restoration is got slow due to weather, festivals, bandhs & body shop guy delaying. The scooter work has gone slow but now I bet it will pick up from now on, body tinkering completed and very happy with the outcome.

I guess this scooter had never gone through complete process of painting or else it must have been done several years ago due to which under mat area has badly rusted, center frame is also badly rusted, before scrapping the paint my guess was the floor should be good but to my shock it is the worst hit area so decided for new floor & fabricated exactly to the right dimensions and exact design with two 'x' printed on it for extra strength.

Unlike motorcycles where frame which takes care of the strength of the vehicle scooters doesn't have that option hence flooring also plays a vital role here. The older models have heavy gauge and carry three channels underneath the floor for extra strength, but in later models became light and a single wide channel replaced the older style.

Right floor was needed which was also a reason for the delay, old type flooring are long forgotten, now-a-days even for old model scooter denters are using the latest light weight ready made flooring but I insisted for the old type only then denter had no other option but to order for the same with exact gauge and dimension which delayed one week, glad he did a good job as expected and the out come is in the picture from below.

Vespa front mud gaurd is crucial for the scooter in terms of the over all look, there are many cases where the front mud guard shape is out due to rusting and patch work and this was one concern for me but thankfully found one all original mud gaurd to my surprise and to top it up the half circle strengthening patti which is circled in the picture is intact. Over all progress till now made me happy.

1. Full body denting done
2. In appropriate holes corrected
3. New floor done
4. Bonnet and dickey domes completed
5. Tail lamp wiring pipe saved (very sign of original body)

Would be checking the final shape by fitting the front mud guard, domes, checking the fork lock slit for any play, handle end points to avoid headlamp hitting the body and move the scooter to the paint shop, the painting process might begin this week thankfully monsoons are over and sun is shining good, once it is with painter then the work will pickup pace. More to come from now on.
Attached Thumbnails
Sembra una vespa! - story of a Wasp to Vespa-p190711_15.27_01.jpg  

Sembra una vespa! - story of a Wasp to Vespa-p190711_15.27_02.jpg  

Sembra una vespa! - story of a Wasp to Vespa-center-frame.jpg  

Sembra una vespa! - story of a Wasp to Vespa-p190711_15.28.jpg  

Sembra una vespa! - story of a Wasp to Vespa-p190711_15.28_01.jpg  

Sembra una vespa! - story of a Wasp to Vespa-p201011_14.15.jpg  

Sembra una vespa! - story of a Wasp to Vespa-p201011_14.15_01.jpg  

Sembra una vespa! - story of a Wasp to Vespa-p201011_14.17.jpg  

Sembra una vespa! - story of a Wasp to Vespa-p201011_14.17_01.jpg  

Sembra una vespa! - story of a Wasp to Vespa-p201011_14.17_03.jpg  

Sembra una vespa! - story of a Wasp to Vespa-mudgaurd-patti.jpg  

Sembra una vespa! - story of a Wasp to Vespa-p201011_14.18.jpg  

Old 25th October 2011, 23:12   #22
BHPian

Nice to hear that the work has started again. Hoping to see the scoot back in action.
Old 26th October 2011, 13:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreeram View Post
Nice to hear that the work has started again. Hoping to see the scoot back in action.
Thanks Shreeram even it makes me feel glad at last work is picking up pace and will soon turn out to be a classic marvel.
Old 26th October 2011, 13:20   #24
BHPian

Good news Bala bhai.
Old 26th October 2011, 13:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle_boy View Post
Good news Bala bhai.
for me and others right! thanks for the patience and I bet this baby is going to come up like awesome, promise.
Old 26th October 2011, 15:03   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Thanks Shreeram even it makes me feel glad at last work is picking up pace and will soon turn out to be a classic marvel.
Yes Chanu and this thread will act as a guide for me as I am getting my Wasp soon after diwali hopefully.
Old 23rd June 2012, 13:03   #27
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Three books worth reading which have some great stuff on Vespas.

Vroom with a view
Vroom by the sea
Sweet Honey Bitter Lemons
Old 24th June 2012, 00:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

Bala,any updates on the restoration of this Vespa? Seems like a long time(9 months) we heard from you on this thread.Vespa restoration shouldnt take this much time.
Old 24th June 2012, 04:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the delay but you should be getting a good news soon! I agree the delay is too much however the restoration has done a lot of progress and the end result is also not too far Ram sir.
Old 15th July 2012, 15:48   #30
BHPian

Dear Bala

Any updates on your vespa, have been waiting to see the end result cos i too have bought a vespa 1960 model from secunderabad and need your help to get some original stuff and for a complete restoration job as you did on your.

Farooq

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks