Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2012, 10:27   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kolkata - 1957 Fiat Elegant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
John, Thanks for your reply. A custom made pin was just a suggestion, as so many years have passed by since the launch of the car itself and it would be absolutey impossible to find a original replacement (May be at a high premium). Getting such small parts fabricated (may be with materials even better than the OE quality for that period). Though I am interested in Fiats, I dont have one at this point of time. Thanks again.
-Ilango
Bajaj Tempo Traveller (now Force) used exact smilar clips for holding on the wheel caps. Further more these were bolted on to the wheel rim with a 10 mm bolt. The only issue since the current ones are coming with plastic caps, these clips do not have any use. So would be a tough job to find the OEM clips.
Old 4th July 2012, 10:35   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Bajaj Tempo Traveller (now Force) used exact smilar clips for holding on the wheel caps. Further more these were bolted on to the wheel rim with a 10 mm bolt. The only issue since the current ones are coming with plastic caps, these clips do not have any use. So would be a tough job to find the OEM clips.
Yes I remmber seeing this on the Tempo Traveller. But havent observed them so closely. Will give a closer look the next time I see a Tempo traveller.
This is just a general info. What people colloquially mention as 10 mm bolt is actually a 6mm bolt. It is the diameter of the shaft that identifies the bolt and not the spanner used for it. A 10 mm bolt would be almost as thick as our little finger. Typically cars come with 12 mm bolts for the wheels, & 14mm on SUVs.
Old 4th July 2012, 10:58   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Yes I remmber seeing this on the Tempo Traveller. But havent observed them so closely. Will give a closer look the next time I see a Tempo traveller.
This is just a general info. What people colloquially mention as 10 mm bolt is actually a 6mm bolt. It is the diameter of the shaft that identifies the bolt and not the spanner used for it. A 10 mm bolt would be almost as thick as our little finger. Typically cars come with 12 mm bolts for the wheels, & 14mm on SUVs.
Yes you are right on the Bolt nomenculature, since the common norm is to refer then by the spanner size, I mentioned the same .
Old 4th July 2012, 13:08   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
When Sanjay restored my 62 Fiat 1100 Deluxe, he made a custom pin for the rim that I could fit my aluminum original hub caps on for show & for daily use the Padmini Caps.

I can find the photos I took on them but suggest you contact him directly.
John, please note the 'pins' you have fitted on your wheels take the aluminium FIAT wheelcaps for the Delight - they look somewhat similar but the side profile and fitting is entirely different. The rim itself is different for that later style of hubcap. The original hubcap would fit on 4 tempered clips that sit between the wheelnuts. They are notorious for flying off!
Old 4th July 2012, 19:44   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
John, please note the 'pins' you have fitted on your wheels take the aluminium FIAT wheelcaps for the Delight - they look somewhat similar but the side profile and fitting is entirely different. The rim itself is different for that later style of hubcap. The original hubcap would fit on 4 tempered clips that sit between the wheelnuts. They are notorious for flying off!
The part in question is the 'clip' as rightly pointed out by Karl. I am experimenting fabricating these clips out of tempered metal. Lets see what the inference would be..
Old 5th July 2012, 08:56   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIAT'57'Kolkata

The part in question is the 'clip' as rightly pointed out by Karl. I am experimenting fabricating these clips out of tempered metal. Lets see what the inference would be..
Hi, this experiment has been tried by me, infact i have about 200 clips lying with me, it does not work. I ensured i bought the best quality spring steel, before fabricating these but yet they failed. Some on the first attempt to fix the wheel cap, others after a couple of attempts. It frustrating because one has to keep removing the tire to get the clips re riveted.

I have now invented a totally new solution to fix the hubcaps to the rim discreetly and safely. I will have to photodocument the same. Hubcaps today are very valuble and there is no sense in sacrificing them for originality.
the mole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 19:43   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Hi, this experiment has been tried by me, infact i have about 200 clips lying with me, it does not work. I ensured i bought the best quality spring steel, before fabricating these but yet they failed. Some on the first attempt to fix the wheel cap, others after a couple of attempts. It frustrating because one has to keep removing the tire to get the clips re riveted.

I have now invented a totally new solution to fix the hubcaps to the rim discreetly and safely. I will have to photodocument the same. Hubcaps today are very valuble and there is no sense in sacrificing them for originality.
Hello Mole ,

It would be nice if you could photodocument the same and post it here which could serve us as a guide. The hubcaps are even not available here. If I get a sample I could fabricate the same, using brass sheet and then chromeplating them. But this would be an expensive proposition, so looking for a set of original hubcaps, or at least a sample. Unless you could provide me with a full proof remedy to prevent the hub caps from 'flying-off', I would definalely add the suporting nuts in the centre.

I was further more lucky to purchase 2 pairs of original NOS front side light assemblies (keeping one as spare), and 1 pair of original amber indicator light lenses (small round) with 'Siam' and 'Torino' etched on to it.

Regards
Old 5th July 2012, 23:18   #38
BHPian

Regading The Parts - The parts for the Fiat have been taken and are being used on a deserving Fiat . Also The Parts owner says has some Tail Lamp assembly, front indicator lenses for the Padmini too. If Anyone needs them we can get them.
Old 13th July 2012, 21:05   #39
BHPian

Today I got all the Fabricated clips (as per sample) in hand for the rims. looks like a good job. The temper on the clips is also fine (fingerz crossed). The rims have been back from sand blasting. I would be rivetting the clips on to the rim, giving it a coat of epoxy primer, followed by oil primer, 1 K surfacer, and then painting it, before fitting the new tyres. This should be done next week.
Old 13th July 2012, 21:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIAT'57'Kolkata View Post
Today I got all the Fabricated clips (as per sample) in hand for the rims. looks like a good job. The temper on the clips is also fine (fingerz crossed). The rims have been back from sand blasting. I would be rivetting the clips on to the rim, giving it a coat of epoxy primer, followed by oil primer, 1 K surfacer, and then painting it, before fitting the new tyres. This should be done next week.
Nice, would love to see some pics of the fabricated clips.
Old 16th July 2012, 19:16   #41
BHPian

Will Definately post pictures of the clips shortly.

Today I installed the free flow exhaust, with a thick back pipe in my car. I modified the back pipe, and made a twin outlet . The double exhaust pipes are looking super sporty and the note is fantastic. I am looking for 3x2x1 headers for the car. Planetrocker, and other Kolkata bhpians please help. However, if the other gurus for outstation can provide the same im interested.

Guys please help me with the needed stuff as iv listed in this thread. Realy enthusiastic with this FIAT .
Old 20th July 2012, 13:45   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIAT'57'Kolkata View Post
Will Definately post pictures of the clips shortly.

Today I installed the free flow exhaust, with a thick back pipe in my car. I modified the back pipe, and made a twin outlet . The double exhaust pipes are looking super sporty and the note is fantastic. I am looking for 3x2x1 headers for the car. Planetrocker, and other Kolkata bhpians please help. However, if the other gurus for outstation can provide the same im interested.

Guys please help me with the needed stuff as iv listed in this thread. Realy enthusiastic with this FIAT .

I have a 3X2X1 header on my car and just love the exhaust note .The headers are about 10 years old and with a couple of welds and may need a replacement soon ,am looking for a set and maybe some coimbatore Tbhpians can help.if not i plan to replicate the cones i have in Bangalore itself from an expert whom i know although it would be a bit expensive .I will keep you updated on the same .

prashanth
Old 20th July 2012, 17:10   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I have a 3X2X1 header on my car and just love the exhaust note .The headers are about 10 years old and with a couple of welds and may need a replacement soon ,am looking for a set and maybe some coimbatore Tbhpians can help.if not i plan to replicate the cones i have in Bangalore itself from an expert whom i know although it would be a bit expensive .I will keep you updated on the same. prashanth
Dear Prashanth - I suggest you use the S1 exhaust manifold along with the S1 exhaust pipe. It is same as having headers but it is an engineered solution. I am the designer of these parts so I know. Do you want me to check with my used parts guy in Mumbai and see if he has a set which you can get? Please do let me know.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 2nd August 2012, 17:54   #44
BHPian

Hello Friends,

Fortunately enough I have got hold of original thread type 'round fuel cap', with two original keys, for my car. This is an almost brand new pc and requires no refurbishment. However, the thick petrol pipe hasnt come with it, for which I would like to be adviced.

Carello headlamps have been impossible to source for me. Hence I have picked up 'Yezdi 250 classic' headlamps. some have adviced a combination of force minidor headlamps with this one. Moreover how to get the measurements of the exact hump for fitting these lamps. Fiat Gurus kindly advice.

Regards....

Last edited by karlosdeville : 3rd August 2012 at 11:38. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 7th November 2012, 20:33   #45
BHPian

Hello Friends,

Im writing after a long time as nothing much was happening all this while as regards to sourcing the original parts.

However, the silence had to be broken. This afternoon, I fortunately managed to get my hands on to the following:

1) Original steering wheel.
2) Original steering column with selector rod, steering box, complete.
3) Original combination switch.
4) After market horn ring, having leather/rexine inserts on two sides.

All the above are very much in restorable condition.

Good Day
FIAT'57'Kolkata is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks