Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2012, 20:16   #46
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kolkata - 1957 Fiat Elegant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIAT'57'Kolkata View Post
Hello Friends,
However, the silence had to be broken......
Hi, I would suggest you post pictures. On this forum interest comes only if your descriptions are backed by pictures.

We would love to see how you are restoring this car.

Cheers

KPS
Old 9th November 2012, 18:59   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Prashanth - I suggest you use the S1 exhaust manifold along with the S1 exhaust pipe. It is same as having headers but it is an engineered solution. I am the designer of these parts so I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post

but it will be better if you just stick to S1 OEM manifold, down-pipes and S1 tail pipe - just my personal opinion
Always listen to the Doctor (with due respect to Mr Dhabhar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I have a 3X2X1 header on my car and just love the exhaust note .The headers are about 10 years old and with a couple of welds and may need a replacement soon ,am looking for a set and maybe some coimbatore Tbhpians can help.if not i plan to replicate the cones i have in Bangalore itself from an expert whom i know although it would be a bit expensive .I will keep you updated on the same.
prashanth
Elektra, Chennai had a spare set ready with them. You can check with them. Else in Bangalore, get in touch with Pavan Kadam and ask him if he can help out.

Quote:
Today I installed the free flow exhaust, with a thick back pipe in my car. I modified the back pipe, and made a twin outlet . The double exhaust pipes are looking super sporty and the note is fantastic. I am looking for 3x2x1 headers for the car. Planetrocker, and other Kolkata bhpians please help. However, if the other gurus for outstation can provide the same im interested.
Fiats are numbered here in Kolkata. I have seen only two of them with Headers - one in my car and the other in a Fiat 1100 safely parked with Alok Automobiles, Maruti Bagan (Hyundai ASC). If you are looking to fabricate one - you can ask Alok Automobiles to do the same for you.

Anirban (1100D) has a Fiat 1100D running S1 manifold, down pipes and muffler and it sounds sweet.

Quote:
However, the silence had to be broken.
Why? What happened? where in kolkata do you stay?
Old 15th November 2012, 01:51   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post

Fiats are numbered here in Kolkata. I have seen only two of them with Headers - one in my car and the other in a Fiat 1100 safely parked with Alok Automobiles, Maruti Bagan (Hyundai ASC). If you are looking to fabricate one - you can ask Alok Automobiles to do the same for you.
I know atleast 5 Fiats in Calcutta that just about start and have got Apex headers on them.

There is one source in calcutta who still has NOS headers. Let's see how many i can find.

REgards

Indrojit
Old 24th December 2012, 19:17   #49
BHPian

Dear Friends,

Wishing you Merry Christmas in advance..

I few developments:

I have managed to source the following:

1) semi used good condition Door garnesh beads - 8 pcs
2) original wiper arms
3) left and right brand new tail lamp assemblies

KARL has been super suportive in sending me a few samples such as the original hub cap, headlight ring, and air cleaner, which I would start fabricating shortly.

Sorry , I hav'nt had the time for taking and posting pictures, but would do so soon. Kolkatans please advice a good body shop where I could get my body work done from.

The Statesman Rally would be held in Kolkata on the 13th of January, 2013, and the buzz is that this time there are about 200 entries. Im sure enthusiasts like me would realy be looking forward to this event.

Warm Regards...
Old 28th December 2012, 10:33   #50
BHPian

Hello Friends,

Yesterday I picked up a S1 intake and exhaust manifold, aranged by bhpian Indrojit Sircar's father. The price paid was very high though. Now I am looking for a new exhaust pipe/down pipe (2:1). Kindly advice...

Warm Regards..
Old 28th December 2012, 18:03   #51
BHPian

Good Evening,

Just bought myself a S1 exhaust/down pipe (2:1), hence completing my exhaust system (rear free flow muffler was bought earlier).

Regards.
Old 29th December 2012, 09:27   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Good Evening, Just bought myself a S1 exhaust/down pipe (2:1), hence completing my exhaust system (rear free flow muffler was bought earlier). Regards.
Dear Fiat 57 Kolkata - please use original S1 gasket between the exhaust manifold and the twin pipes, you must fit it with the squeezed end facing the pipe. This is as per AVL recommendation. Use old Matador exhaust pipe U biolt in place of the production U bolt to hold the S1 exhaust pipe in place on the Y bracket mounted on the transmission rear extension. You will have to lengthen the slots slightly. Enjoy the beautiful exhaust sound! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2012, 18:14   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Fiat 57 Kolkata - please use original S1 gasket between the exhaust manifold and the twin pipes, you must fit it with the squeezed end facing the pipe. This is as per AVL recommendation. Use old Matador exhaust pipe U biolt in place of the production U bolt to hold the S1 exhaust pipe in place on the Y bracket mounted on the transmission rear extension. You will have to lengthen the slots slightly. Enjoy the beautiful exhaust sound! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thank you Sir, for your valuable advice. Will definately incorporate the method mentioned.
Old 6th March 2013, 21:54   #54
BHPian

Hi Friends,

Some update on my car:

1) Aphoulstry work in progress. I have been able to procure close to original 'not-so deep' blue vinyl for my car. Even brand new front seat (rear) nets have been bought along with tapered springs.

2) All the body panels have been separated from the car, and I am scraping the car to bear metal.

3) I discovered the remains of the original paint below the weatherstrips and the door catchers. This is some what like the bayer blue which used to come on Maruti 800 in the late 80's, with a ting of green, and a little brighter. To my good luck I found the original sealed tin paint in a paint shop. The aged shop keeper said that this was NOS used for touching up elegants. There were 4 litres of this DUCO NC paint with him, and I picked them all. Even the tin has superficial rust on it sujesting its age, but the colour is a 100 percent match to the original paint surfaced from my car. The shade reads ' Riviera Blue '.

4) Mechanicals - ready.

5) Original metal fan blade procured.

Warmest regards..
Old 6th March 2013, 23:56   #55
BHPian

Hi Fiat 1957, it was a pleasure reading your restoration thread, u should be very lucky to have found so many parts so soon.
I just started restoring my 1955 fiat 1100 millecento which we have for the last 50 years, u can find my thread titled as "Restoration of MDN 6494 - In remembrance of my Father". I am too in need of some parts but mostly cosmetic stuff, but my biggest search is the original air filter. I too found the rims in pretty good condition but minus clips, please post me the pics of your clips replica, will try to get them done here in Coimbatore, Tamilnadu. Good luck on your restoration. hope to see some pictures of your car.
Old 10th March 2013, 13:22   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure if I had shared these images earlier or not, they show what should be the original interiors for a 57. Its the only car I have seen so far that still has the original interiors. The rear seat base is obviously recovered.

Kolkata - 1957 Fiat Elegant-fiat09.jpg

Kolkata - 1957 Fiat Elegant-fiat10.jpg

Kolkata - 1957 Fiat Elegant-fiat11.jpg

Kolkata - 1957 Fiat Elegant-fiat12.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 13:47   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Not sure if I had shared these images earlier or not, they show what should be the original interiors for a 57. Its the only car I have seen so far that still has the original interiors. The rear seat base is obviously recovered.

Attachment 1060258

Attachment 1060259

Attachment 1060260

Attachment 1060261
Dear Karlo, is the interior trim work on the front and rear the same for 1955 fiat or it differs from the pictures you have posted?
Old 10th March 2013, 15:04   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkannant View Post
Dear Karlo, is the interior trim work on the front and rear the same for 1955 fiat or it differs from the pictures you have posted?
The 55 models had a different pattern. You can find reference here

Kolkata - 1957 Fiat Elegant-17.jpg

Kolkata - 1957 Fiat Elegant-23.jpg

Kolkata - 1957 Fiat Elegant-24.jpg
Old 11th March 2013, 00:08   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The 55 models had a different pattern. You can find reference here

Attachment 1060285

Attachment 1060286

Attachment 1060287
Thanks Karlo, saved the image for future reference.
Drkannant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 22:24   #60
BHPian

Hello Friends,

Just an update:

I just received the air cleaner and carello type head light rings from fabrication. Thank you Karl for your support with regards to sending me the samples.

Warm Regards...

Most Viewed