Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2014, 13:43   #136
BHPian

Re: My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'

The front Park light/indicator lenses were yellowed with age. Brand new ones were not available, so a mold was made of the original one, and new ones were made using it!

Attachment 1214678[/quote]

Jay, couple of questions..Firstly how do you make these plastic lenses? Would be very nice if you could show some pictures of the process...Was it done at a plastic factory or by yourselves? What are the ingredients used? Secondly how do you import car parts from the U.S/Europe etc? I tried getting some parts some time back but found it extremely difficult with payments/shipping etc...
Thanks
car love is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 19:00   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
Beautiful restoration. I have followed the process with deep interest and the result is amazing ! One small observation - is the front bumper in need of some adjustment ? From the photo it seems the wrap-around of the bumper is angled instead of being truly horizontal. A minor point, perhaps overlooked on an otherwise great job of painting and re-chroming. Please share some interior details , too .
Thank you priyo. The bumper was noted only at the final stages, and nothing mch could be done about it. It is being corrected now.

Will share more pics soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyStuff View Post
Hats off to you Jay !
One of the beautiful restorations, would like to see the car once, I am also from Kochi. Can you please PM me your location and contact details, if you don't mind?
Thank you.. Car is in for some updates, and should be out soon. Will PM you my contact details. Would be great to catch up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car love View Post
The front Park light/indicator lenses were yellowed with age. Brand new ones were not available, so a mold was made of the original one, and new ones were made using it!

Attachment 1214678
Jay, couple of questions..Firstly how do you make these plastic lenses? Would be very nice if you could show some pictures of the process...Was it done at a plastic factory or by yourselves? What are the ingredients used? Secondly how do you import car parts from the U.S/Europe etc? I tried getting some parts some time back but found it extremely difficult with payments/shipping etc...
Thanks[/quote]

They were manufactured using an old one as template. I didn't take any pics of the process, and will try to share them if possible.

Most parts were ordered online and delivered to relatives/friends in the US, and Hand carried.
JayD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2015, 22:09   #138
Senior - BHPian

Well, it's been some time since the last update.

The king has been running well, and was subject to a full body checkup to see if he was fully healthy.

Ran him for several hundred kilometers through traffic, open roads, and even in very heavy rain to see if there were any leaks or issues which popped up.

Thankfully nothing major popped up and some minor niggles which were noticed, was handled immediately.

Here are some pics of the car during one of the outings.
Attached Thumbnails
My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-1420993928843.jpg  

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-1420993950392.jpg  

JayD is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 01:29   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
The Interiors of the King! New seats, Door cards, Roofliner, fully detailed dash with all the meters restored. The carpets will probably go on next weekend!

*Again, it seems that compressing the images has caused it to go blurry at places, Ill upload the High res pics on Picasa.
This is such an awesome restoration. This is the kind of work that is inspiring new restorers like me to take on restoration projects. Thanks for sharing the experience.
Old 20th May 2015, 15:51   #140
BHPian

Great Restoration JayD!

If I am not wrong, I have seen you drive this car in Panampilly Nagar, Cochin infront of the Fresh Fruits and Vegetables supermarket about two weeks back.
Old 7th June 2015, 19:48   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearphile View Post
This is such an awesome restoration. This is the kind of work that is inspiring new restorers like me to take on restoration projects. Thanks for sharing the experience.

Thank you. Hope you are able to find the car of your dreams and get it back to the pink of health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseenar View Post
Great Restoration JayD!

If I am not wrong, I have seen you drive this car in Panampilly Nagar, Cochin infront of the Fresh Fruits and Vegetables supermarket about two weeks back.

Thank you. Yes, that was me, on our usual sunday spin.
Old 24th June 2015, 18:47   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Thank you. Hope you are able to find the car of your dreams and get it back to the pink of health.
Thanks @JayD. I am currently working on restoring my father's 1962 Ambassador. I am a newbie here and don't have a thread yet, but I post occasional pictures in the Landmasters/Ambassador thread. Hope to have my own restoration thread to share the work that has been done so far.
Old 31st August 2018, 18:34   #143
BHPian

If I had given the same importance that I gave to this thread for my exams, I would have been the topper without fail in my academics! Restoration is one of the toughest tasks and you've done it fabulously! Kudos to your patience and perseverance

Most Viewed