Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2014, 09:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Hey Jay D ,Couldn't help it .so had to log in after almost a year.Nice to see this project.And i still remember the way you got hold of that blue M800.lolz.
Steeroid ,nice to see your post.
Haha! Yeah! Getting that car was a task in itself!The car has been subject to a full resto since the last time you saw it. Long time no see, ho u been lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi View Post
@ JayD: You're going to restore the Dodge right in your front yard? Kudos!

Will be watching this thread.
Yes! That was the most interesting aspect of this resto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazonater1911 View Post
My goodness JayD!! It must have been a huge feat to restore this beauty. I cant imagine the amount of hardwork and personal time you have put in this to restore the majestic Dodge.

Kudos JayD!! I will be closely following this thread man
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
A great car worth spending your resources. Waiting to see the beauty in restored form. All the very best.
Thank you!
Old 26th February 2014, 10:02   #17
BHPian

Glad to see the dash board is in the original condition, and that none has tried to 'improve things' by doing petty work on it. It's very original. The Kingsway has a very beautiful stance from any angle. I'm checking this thread frequently to see if any more pics are being added. I feel you're a bit testing our patience! 1 day is a lot of time for posting updates.

Btw, your 124 looks awesome! It being my all time favourite car, I just couldn't help looking at it and wondering how well it is kept all these years! There's no other word than 'perfect' to describe it. I wish if you'd keep it as a 'side-dish' in all the photos, as done in the 5th pic - oh no, I'm asking too much, and going off-topic!
Joe M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 10:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

As mentioned earlier, The most interesting part of the resto for me, was the fact that everything, right from paint to interiors was to be done at home!

For me, this resto gave more knowledge and experience than any engineering degree, ever can. Thanks to my Dad, who was overseeing the mastermind behind the project.

Kerala is well known for its expert metalworkers, also called 'Ashaans' in local lingo. They are expert craftsmen who are adept at making almost anything from metal. They are a dying breed, and most of them, who have been doing the same work for generations, are not wanting their future generations, getting into this field.

That aside, we managed to get one of them, to come home and start work on the Dodge. The amount of metalwork as seen in the pics, was extreme, and the most difficult part of our resto was the fact that we had no running car, to look up for reference. Despite that, in a leap of faith, and based on my dads experience with these cars, in his younger days, we started the project.
Attached Thumbnails
My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn4824.jpg  

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn4818.jpg  

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn4817.jpg  

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn4743.jpg  

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn4756.jpg  

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn4751.jpg  

JayD is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 10:15   #19
BHPian

Congratulations JayD on a great purchase and am sure a very educative restoration story for us. These "low fin" Kingsway's are desirable cars and since a number of people on the forum have already seen the restored car, I'm eagerly waiting for detailed pics too!

Cheers!

P.S. I can see that you're adding pics step by step and must say that this will really help others restoring their cars. The bodywork being done in these pics look to be of a very high standard.

Last edited by mbz180 : 26th February 2014 at 10:21.
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 10:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

With work on the exteriors progressing, we started work on the interiors. The seats were removed, and stripped to the frame. All the springs were damaged or rusted, and had to be replaced. The meters were removed and sent for repair. Thankfully, the door handles and winders were all present. They were cleaned and buffed.
Attached Thumbnails
My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn4747.jpg  

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn4748.jpg  

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn4753.jpg  

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn4754.jpg  

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn4828.jpg  

JayD is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 10:32   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
With work on the exteriors progressing, we started work on the interiors. The seats were removed, and stripped to the frame. All the springs were damaged or rusted, and had to be replaced. The meters were removed and sent for repair. Thankfully, the door handles and winders were all present. They were cleaned and buffed.
You must be lucky to find a clean car like this, considering it has been in KL for a long time, the rusting is not as much as expected.

Would love to see the engine bay and interior pics.
Old 26th February 2014, 10:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic jay and I cant believe it took you over a year to put this up. Man come to think of it, restoring the car in your own backyard what more does one need.
I was following your updates on fb but never did you put up a complete log of the build stage by stage .Hope you do justice by updating this thread regularly.
Old 26th February 2014, 12:20   #23
BHPian

Quote:
As mentioned earlier, The most interesting part of the resto for me, was the fact that everything, right from paint to interiors was to be done at home!

For me, this resto gave more knowledge and experience than any engineering degree, ever can. Thanks to my Dad, who was overseeing the mastermind behind the project.

Kerala is well known for its expert metalworkers, also called 'Ashaans' in local lingo. They are expert craftsmen who are adept at making almost anything from metal. They are a dying breed, and most of them, who have been doing the same work for generations, are not wanting their future generations, getting into this field.

That aside, we managed to get one of them, to come home and start work on the Dodge. The amount of metalwork as seen in the pics, was extreme, and the most difficult part of our resto was the fact that we had no running car, to look up for reference. Despite that, in a leap of faith, and based on my dads experience with these cars, in his younger days, we started the project.
Wonderful attempt JayD. Surprised you were able to find the "Ashaans" in Kerala!
Looking forward to see the way it progress.
unni246 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 12:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi View Post
@ JayD: You're going to restore the Dodge right in your front yard? Kudos!
He obviously has good neighbours.

And a good dog.
Steeroid is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 16:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
Glad to see the dash board is in the original condition, and that none has tried to 'improve things' by doing petty work on it. It's very original. The Kingsway has a very beautiful stance from any angle. I'm checking this thread frequently to see if any more pics are being added. I feel you're a bit testing our patience! 1 day is a lot of time for posting updates.

Btw, your 124 looks awesome! It being my all time favourite car, I just couldn't help looking at it and wondering how well it is kept all these years! There's no other word than 'perfect' to describe it. I wish if you'd keep it as a 'side-dish' in all the photos, as done in the 5th pic - oh no, I'm asking too much, and going off-topic!
Yes, the car was pretty original thankfully.

Updates will be faster now, was travelling!

The 124, again is one of my all time favourite cars, especially the 6 cylinders. You can see one car or the other peeking thru in most pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Congratulations JayD on a great purchase and am sure a very educative restoration story for us. These "low fin" Kingsway's are desirable cars and since a number of people on the forum have already seen the restored car, I'm eagerly waiting for detailed pics too!

Cheers!

P.S. I can see that you're adding pics step by step and must say that this will really help others restoring their cars. The bodywork being done in these pics look to be of a very high standard.
Thank you mbz. Yes, i too love the rarer low fin models compared to the tailfin ones, and that was one of the primary reasons for picking up this car despite the condition.

I hope to do justice to the resto in this thread. The only issue is that i lost most of my resto pix thanks to a hard drive crash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
You must be lucky to find a clean car like this, considering it has been in KL for a long time, the rusting is not as much as expected.

Would love to see the engine bay and interior pics.
Thanks Pavan, yes, finding this car was a lucky strike for me. The rust looks ok in the pics, but in reality, it was rotted out, coastal kerala car you see.

Detailed interior and engine pix coming up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Fantastic jay and I cant believe it took you over a year to put this up. Man come to think of it, restoring the car in your own backyard what more does one need.
I was following your updates on fb but never did you put up a complete log of the build stage by stage .Hope you do justice by updating this thread regularly.
Thank you riju! Yeah! A completely home made resto is like a dream come true for me.

P.S: have updated the FB album too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni246 View Post
Wonderful attempt JayD. Surprised you were able to find the "Ashaans" in Kerala!
Looking forward to see the way it progress.
You can say that finding the guy was harder than finding the car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
He obviously has good neighbours.

And a good dog.
Haha! True that! To be honest, they are now missing all the noise and drama that was there during the resto! People are wondering why the place became quiet now!!
Old 26th February 2014, 18:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

The engine was a basket case when we got it. It was completely stripped down and overhauled.

All new gaskets, seals, filters were imported from the US and put in.

The engine mounts and subframe were damaged, and had to be fabricated from scratch.
Attached Thumbnails
My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn4792.jpg  

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn4801.jpg  

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn4815.jpg  

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn4816.jpg  

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn4807.jpg  

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn4827.jpg  

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn4839.jpg  

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn4840.jpg  

JayD is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 19:37   #27
BHPian

Quote:
The engine was a basket case when we got it. It was completely stripped down and overhauled.

All new gaskets, seals, filters were imported from the US and put in.

The engine mounts and subframe were damaged, and had to be fabricated from scratch.

Ashaans Ashaans.. more of them!!

Interesting to see the way they work Enthusiastically.
Can't wait to see the Final Outcome..
Old 26th February 2014, 19:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
since a number of people on the forum have already seen the restored car, I'm eagerly waiting for detailed pics too!
Hi,

You can refer to the Classics in Travancore, Cochin & Malabar thread.

Quote:
Wow! It seems you people really burnt the midnight oil in this case!

Appreciate the work being done!

Cheers!

This is a great thread for reference.

Quote:
since a number of people on the forum have already seen the restored car, I'm eagerly waiting for detailed pics too!
Hi,

You can refer to the Classics in Travancore, Cochin & Malabar thread.

Quote:
Wow! It seems you people really burnt the midnight oil in this case!

Appreciate the work being done!

Cheers!

It is a great thread for reference.

Last edited by Eddy : 26th February 2014 at 20:40. Reason: Merged
Old 26th February 2014, 20:47   #29
BHPian

Re: My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Restoration'

Great going JayD . Can see some senior car addicts taking good care of your Dodge!!. Hope to see it moving on all fours!!! SOON!!
Old 27th February 2014, 10:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Restoration'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhan View Post
Great going JayD . Can see some senior car addicts taking good care of your Dodge!!. Hope to see it moving on all fours!!! SOON!!
It IS moving on all fours. Refer to the Classiics in Travancore, Cochin & Malabar thread.

KLK/923 is by far the best Dodge I've seen. Others include

1} BML/2884 which is a great car, DEFINITELY! These two cars are on the same level, in my opinion.

2} A Black + White roof one, BM?-???? OR BY?-???? Registered, seen at a garage in Poona. Recent restoration & Paintjob.

Most Viewed