Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2014, 13:24   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'

One of the most fun aspects of doing a resto by yourself is the experience of finding parts. There are parts which can be ordered online or procured from shops, but there are few things which feel better than finding the one part you need amidst tons of junk.
My hunt for parts took me places, from madras to Delhi and several other places. Met a lot of great people, heard a lot of stories and had some awesome street food in dilli!!
Attached Thumbnails
My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-img_0770.jpg  

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-img_5513.jpg  

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-img_5517.jpg  

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-img_5521.jpg  

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-img_5523.jpg  

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-img_5621.jpg  

Last edited by JayD : 27th February 2014 at 13:25.
JayD is online now   (26) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 13:36   #32
Senior - BHPian

Meanwhile back home, the work on the engine block was done. The engine and transmission were completely overhauled, and was ready to be put in. Bodywork was also in the final stages.
Attached Thumbnails
My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn4874.jpg  

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn4876.jpg  

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn4836.jpg  

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn4875.jpg  

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn4880.jpg  

Last edited by JayD : 27th February 2014 at 13:45.
JayD is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 13:49   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Meanwhile back home, the work on the engine block was done. The engine and transmission were completely overhauled, and was ready to be put in. Bodywork was also in the final stages.
Quote:
One of the most fun aspects of doing a resto by yourself is the experience of finding parts. There are parts which can be ordered online or procured from shops, but there are few things which feel better than finding the one part you need amidst tons of junk.
My hunt for parts took me places, from madras to Delhi and several other places. Met a lot of great people, heard a lot of stories and had some awesome street food in dilli!!
Kudos to You!
Can't believe you are Exploring every inches in the country to get the life into your Dodge.

Way to go Mate

Awaiting more Pics & rest of the Story
unni246 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 14:38   #34
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile back home, .............. Bodywork was also in the final stages.
Was this car running on a diesel engine at some point? I noticed that the firewall has been cut, which indicates a larger engine was in place, most probably a P4.

Anyways, glad that you have been able to salvage the petrol engine and install it back.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 16:48   #35
BHPian

Engine looks very good from outside after the overhaul. Waiting to see the finished car. Was any tweaks done to suspension?
classact is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 18:15   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hats off to you JD

Seriously I have no words for you man, I am dumbstruck seeing your posts, the pain and interest you are taking to get this guy going. I feel there is not even a single motor enthusiast as you are in this world.

How did you manage to get these guys to work on it with dedicated concentration? They would be really proud to work on this machine.

Also awesome job on the engine buddy, looks clean
fusionbang is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 19:51   #37
BHPian

Quote:
but there are few things which feel better than finding the one part you need amidst tons of junk.
Wow!! That's a true enthusiast's work! I too have always enjoyed browsing for interesting things in the junk yard. Have made a table using a 6-cylinder engine block sourced from a scrap shop. One engine head unit, couple of pistons and crank shafts etc are part of my junk yard acquisitions It really is a very enjoyable time looking at all the mechanical parts laying around in chunks, begging to be bought.

Your trips in search of parts have made this a true restoration project. I bet you'll enjoy each moment with the car many times more than a restored classic purchased from the market. And thanks to your detailed descriptions thousands of Bhpians are enjoying it free of cost!

Quote:
Glad to see 'Aashans' have done their job well. Eagerly waiting for pictures of next steps.
Joe M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 23:07   #38
Senior - BHPian

The 'King' had rust all over when we got him, but what was most worrying was the areas around the windscreens. Especially the front windshield. The entire area was completely rotten, and even the channel to hold the glass in place was eaten away.

The biggest challenge here was to ensure that the patchwork was done, with 100% precision, else the glass wouldn't fit in.

Once the glass was removed, more areas surrounding it crumbled away, leaving us wondering what the original shape and dimensions were.

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn5084.jpg

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn5085.jpg

Our metalworker worked his magic around the area, carefully curing the cancer, and replacing it with fresh metal.

Needless to say, the glass fit right in, during the first attempt itself.

Take a look at the before, WIP, and after images!

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn5088.jpg

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn5086.jpg

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn5087.jpg

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn5083.jpg

Last edited by JayD : 27th February 2014 at 23:09.
JayD is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 23:13   #39
Senior - BHPian

Re: My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Restoration'

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni246 View Post

Ashaans Ashaans.. more of them!!

Interesting to see the way they work Enthusiastically.
Can't wait to see the Final Outcome..
Yes! They outdid themselves this time!! Final pics will be up soon!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post

Wow! It seems you people really burnt the midnight oil in this case!

Appreciate the work being done!

Cheers!
This is a great thread for reference.
Thank you buddy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhan View Post
Great going JayD . Can see some senior car addicts taking good care of your Dodge!!. Hope to see it moving on all fours!!! SOON!!
Final pics coming soon.. Going on in a step by step manner, as the car was done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
It IS moving on all fours. Refer to the Classiics in Travancore, Cochin & Malabar thread.

KLK/923 is by far the best Dodge I've seen. Others include

1} BML/2884 which is a great car, DEFINITELY! These two cars are on the same level, in my opinion.

2} A Black + White roof one, BM?-???? OR BY?-???? Registered, seen at a garage in Poona. Recent restoration & Paintjob.
Thank you!!
JayD is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 04:26   #40
BHPian

Excellent thread. Fingers crossed to see the final product.
Did you maintain the blue color?
Superleggera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 09:41   #41
BHPian

JayD happy to see the dream taking shape!!! Could you please help me with the address/location of the dealers in Delhi...would like to visit them.... looking for a 1956 Plymouth Savoy front and rear windshields, steering wheel and horn ring!!!Not been able to find one in Hyderabad or Mumbai chor bazzar. If you know anyone who has one please let me know!!!

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Last edited by moralfibre : 1st March 2014 at 10:01.
rdhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 12:10   #42
BHPian

Fantastic work JayD!
Just cannot wait to see the end product. A Kingway Dodge being restored in your
frontyard! That kind of thing happens only to a very lucky few. Kudos and respect to your Father, you and all the workmen involved in this project.
Regards,
Ashok
ashphil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 12:25   #43
BHPian

Kudos to you for all the effort you are putting in by travelling all over the country for it!! Waiting to see the final product which im sure will be superb considering the work you have done on your Landy of which i am a big fan of..
car love is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 18:26   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni246 View Post
Kudos to You!
Can't believe you are Exploring every inches in the country to get the life into your Dodge.

Way to go Mate

Awaiting more Pics & rest of the Story
These trips make the resto a far more memorable one than giving it to some garage to restore, i feel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Was this car running on a diesel engine at some point? I noticed that the firewall has been cut, which indicates a larger engine was in place, most probably a P4.

Anyways, glad that you have been able to salvage the petrol engine and install it back.

Cheers

KPS

The previous owner tried his hand at a Diesel project which fell flat on its face. Thankfully the original engine, et al were still available. So i was able to make this back to an original, Numbers matching car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classact View Post
Engine looks very good from outside after the overhaul. Waiting to see the finished car. Was any tweaks done to suspension?
Brand new OE shocks and bushes were imported from the US of A, and put in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Hats off to you JD

Seriously I have no words for you man, I am dumbstruck seeing your posts, the pain and interest you are taking to get this guy going. I feel there is not even a single motor enthusiast as you are in this world.

How did you manage to get these guys to work on it with dedicated concentration? They would be really proud to work on this machine.

Also awesome job on the engine buddy, looks clean
Thank you for the kind words, fusion. Im just trying to do justice to the forgotten King, and having a lot of fun at the same time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
Wow!! That's a true enthusiast's work! I too have always enjoyed browsing for interesting things in the junk yard. Have made a table using a 6-cylinder engine block sourced from a scrap shop. One engine head unit, couple of pistons and crank shafts etc are part of my junk yard acquisitions It really is a very enjoyable time looking at all the mechanical parts laying around in chunks, begging to be bought.

Your trips in search of parts have made this a true restoration project. I bet you'll enjoy each moment with the car many times more than a restored classic purchased from the market. And thanks to your detailed descriptions thousands of Bhpians are enjoying it free of cost!

Glad to see 'Aashans' have done their job well. Eagerly waiting for pictures of next steps.
Thank you! As you rightly said, the joy of driving something, built with your own hands, is just not comparable to something just picked up from a showroom.

Please share the pics of your creation too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Excellent thread. Fingers crossed to see the final product.
Did you maintain the blue color?
Thank you. No, i did not retain the blue, since it was a later repaint and not the original colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhan View Post
JayD happy to see the dream taking shape!!! Could you please help me with the address/location of the dealers in Delhi...would like to visit them.... looking for a 1956 Plymouth Savoy front and rear windshields, steering wheel and horn ring!!!Not been able to find one in Hyderabad or Mumbai chor bazzar. If you know anyone who has one please let me know!!!
Ill PM you the details. I doubt anything is available there though. There was none of the items you listed, the last time i went there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashphil View Post
Fantastic work JayD!
Just cannot wait to see the end product. A Kingway Dodge being restored in your
frontyard! That kind of thing happens only to a very lucky few. Kudos and respect to your Father, you and all the workmen involved in this project.
Regards,
Ashok
Quote:
Originally Posted by car love View Post
Kudos to you for all the effort you are putting in by travelling all over the country for it!! Waiting to see the final product which im sure will be superb considering the work you have done on your Landy of which i am a big fan of..
Thank you!
JayD is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 18:47   #45
Senior - BHPian

With the bodywork progressing, it was time to take out the P4, and make the engine bay ready for welcoming the straight 6 again!

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn4820.jpg

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn4835.jpg

The fully scraped down bodyshell.

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn5092.jpg

Bodywork update on the boot and tail fins.

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn5089.jpg

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-dscn5090.jpg
JayD is online now   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed