Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2017, 14:09   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_Noir View Post

It is a bit difficult to find a shop with the space for a full body restoration. I intend to strip the car of all interior and mechanical parts and let the shop restore all panels that are rusted before a full primer and paint treatment. So a place that can carefully store the parts while the body work in on is important.
I can refer you to my mechanics, Firdaus and Cyrus, who were the chief service managers at United Motors (the only service center used for Mercedes in the 80s)

They now run a garage in Byculla called Ahura Car Care opposite Mahsina hospital. They're not cheap are by no means the best out there but are very experienced.

My advice if you decide to proceed is - be transparent and upfront with your requirements, timelines and standards expected from them before agreeing on a price. Expect to pay around 2 lacs for the job you have described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowMan View Post
Can you please elaborate?
Sure! As you're likely aware, the master cylinder has two rubber seals in it. When one fails, a sudden loss of pressure occurs in the braking system, which is often called "brake failure". Mercedes engineered a second seal to prevent absolute failure which is why pumping the system will allow it to pressurize again, avoiding catastrophe. That is, unless the secondary seal has also degraded and fails.

This does happen as, over time, rubber degrades. Coincidentally, both my W123 and W124 master cylinder primary seals failed in 2016. One was 20 years old, the other was 32 years old. To ensure the same longevity and safety, I purchased new master cylinders, rubber hoses, discs, caliper kits and pads from Mercedes Benz directly.

Why? Because the company isn't allowed to sell old stock items past their shelf life. When it comes to braking rubber components, I can't stress the importance of this enough.

Owners of W123, W124 and W126 cars are lucky. Mercedes still stocks nearly all their parts at prices not much more than the aftermarket.

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st February 2017 at 14:37. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.
Screwdriva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2017, 13:36   #122

Re: '83 Mercedes 240D - My W123 Restoration Diary

What a restoration post....last 4 hours I am totally mesmerized reading the post and awestruck by the pictures.
My father owns a 1984 240D LHD import model with Automatic Transmission. Looking for some Delhi based expert mechanic on W123s for its restoration. Although our car is in good running condition with recently clocked 1600 kms on long drive but the deterioration in exterior and interior compels me to restore it in a similar way. Kudos to BowMan for the patience and perseverance. Awesome job done.
Being from Military Aviation background I do not have sufficient knowledge and tech knowhow in Automobiles but I would definitely like to restore my W123.
Anyone interested to assist in that or simply provide the details of expert mechanics around Delhi? Contact details: Rohit 9652357972

Quote:
Originally Posted by parth.jain View Post
That is just a treat to the eyes! Impeccable!
I have always been a W123 fan and I hope I'll be able to own one someday and restore it to it's glory, just like you did!

The photos are really great but this car deserves a photo shoot by a professional photographer! (No offence)
Old 12th May 2017, 13:57   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Anil. To me there are many ways in which one can enjoy a classic or vintage car. For sure there are the long and comfortable drives. Last weekend we did a 500Km trip with the car and it the car was more comfortable than the other two we have. I must agree not all classics or even lesser number of vintage care can do this but the W123 is still very much a dependably daily drive car while still being a youngtimer classic.

Then there is the attention one gets. Wherever I take my car it just attracts a crowd and it seems everyone wants a selfie with her. Can be a bit worrying sometimes.

But a bigger part of the whole experience is working on these cars. The Mercedes designers gave a lot of thought even to the guys who would be servicing these cars. Compared with the cramped modern cars there cars are such a pleasure to work on. I am always looking at the opportunity to find areas where I can improve upon her. So instead of taking her to a mechanic now I like to invest in tools and spend some time researching the procedure myself. For instance I took her to someone who is locally an expert on OM616 engines. When I took her to the guy he told me "sahib hamaru to janam aj mataor ma thiyu che" which roughly translated to "Sahib I was born in a Matador" referring to the Bajaj OM616 licensed vehicle. However when he started to work he asked his apprentice to undo the spline lock screws and he used a wrong sized screwdrivers which marred the screw head drive slot. Now the car was is 30 years old and the screws had no sign of abuse but now this joker had put them. Such small things really put me off and I decided then and there I will do the procedure myself...

Next in line for me are the brake hoses and tie rod ends...
It is absolutely fantastic how you are doing this. I am very appreciative of owners who meticulously maintain their own cars with their own tools. It gives the car immense cred. Keep it up
Old 13th May 2017, 21:22   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit.flyboy View Post
What a restoration post....last 4 hours I am totally mesmerized reading the post and awestruck by the pictures.
My father owns a 1984 240D LHD import model with Automatic Transmission. Looking for some Delhi based expert mechanic on W123s for its restoration. Although our car is in good running condition with recently clocked 1600 kms on long drive but the deterioration in exterior and interior compels me to restore it in a similar way. Kudos to BowMan for the patience and perseverance. Awesome job done.
Being from Military Aviation background I do not have sufficient knowledge and tech knowhow in Automobiles but I would definitely like to restore my W123.
Anyone interested to assist in that or simply provide the details of expert mechanics around Delhi? Contact details: Rohit 9652357972
I wish you all the best in your journey with the car...seems you need only a cosmetic restoration since the care is in good running order. Don't fix what is not broke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
It is absolutely fantastic how you are doing this. I am very appreciative of owners who meticulously maintain their own cars with their own tools. It gives the car immense cred. Keep it up
Thanks.

I guess I can also share a few updates. Over the past months I have been driving my car and enjoying her but the AC system was giving me some trouble. On two occasions I got her pressure tested and recharged with R134 but after about 5-6 weeks the gas leaked out.

My suspicion is since the system is mostly in OEM condition designed for R12 which is a heavier molecule (however the previous owner had removed the original R4 compressor to a Sanden unit) hence the refrigerant may be leaking very slowly from the rubber hoses. R134 intended hoses are nylon lined while this was something not necessary for R12 systems because it is a bigger molecule and does not leak easily.

I have since procured some R12 (It was not easy) and recharged the system with it. Now let's wait and watch if the system holds. I hope this works as I do not want to avoid having the need to upgrade the complete system to R134.

As a note there are some R12 alternatives made by Dupont (MO49) but it is not not available locally.

Also the UV dye method of leak detection is not in use locally. I called many AC technicians but to no avail.

As I had expected R12 is a more efficient refrigerant when it comes to cooling and my AC is performing cooler than it was with R134.
Old 15th May 2017, 20:37   #125
BHPian

Hi Bowman,

Check the receiver dryer for signs of rust, followed by the condensing radiator. The former can leak very easily due to rust. The latter due to damage during restoration/ painting, which your thread also details.

I also have a factory original R12 air-conditioning unit. As this gas is illegal, it is advisable to fill R24 direct replacement instead. Unlike R134, R24 is molecularly similar to R12. Only negative is that it is more expensive per kg and harder to find.

Quote:
pdates. Over the past months I have been driving my car and enjoying her but the AC system was giving me some trouble. On two occasions I got her pressure tested and recharged with R134 but after about 5-6 weeks the gas leaked out.

My suspicion is since the system is mostly in OEM condition designed for R12 which is a heavier molecule (however the previous owner had removed the original R4 compressor to a Sanden unit) hence the refrigerant may be leaking very slowly from the rubber hoses. R134 intended hoses are nylon lined while this was something not necessary for R12 systems because it is a bigger molecule and does not leak easily.

I have since procured some R12 (It was not easy) and recharged the system with it. Now let's wait and watch if the system holds. I hope this works as I do not want to avoid having the need to upgrade the complete system to R134.

As a note there are some R12 alternatives made by Dupont (MO49) but it is not not available locally.

Also the UV dye method of leak detection is not in use locally. I called many AC technicians but to no avail.

As I had expected R12 is a more efficient refrigerant when it comes to cooling and my AC is performing cooler than it was with R134.
Old 16th May 2017, 09:33   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I

It’s a shame you most likely can’t get R437A as that is the best replacement for the older freons, really. I had the AC system on my Alfa Spider re-filled with it recently. Included de UV addition too.

I wrote about it here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ml#post4181626

Good luck with it, hope the problems are solved.

Jeroen
Old 21st May 2017, 13:31   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
Hi Bowman,

Check the receiver dryer for signs of rust, followed by the condensing radiator. The former can leak very easily due to rust. The latter due to damage during restoration/ painting, which your thread also details.

I also have a factory original R12 air-conditioning unit. As this gas is illegal, it is advisable to fill R24 direct replacement instead. Unlike R134, R24 is molecularly similar to R12. Only negative is that it is more expensive per kg and harder to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
It’s a shame you most likely can’t get R437A as that is the best replacement for the older freons, really. I had the AC system on my Alfa Spider re-filled with it recently. Included de UV addition too.

I wrote about it here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ml#post4181626

Good luck with it, hope the problems are solved.

Jeroen
Thanks Screwdriva, Jeroen. For now I have managed to acquire some R12. Now it is wait and watch for me. Fingers crossed. I'm aware of the environmental concerns but this was really the only alternative anyone would have taken given the choices available.

My next project is replacing the lower front grill. OEM part number is 1238880123. I will keep everyone posted on that and the Refrigerant.
Old 26th October 2017, 10:12   #128
BHPian

'83 Mercedes 240D - My W123 Restoration Diary-22814009_1931657293527931_8601915669840689772_n.jpg

Just a small update today. Few weeks back it was raining hard and I had left my Mercedes uncovered for the night. Unfortunately that caught the attention of someone and he pulled away with the hood ornament.

Today I finished installing my third star in as many years. Before I installed the star I have also spent 2 weekends installing surveillance cameras around my house and now two of them focus on the from where our cars are usually parked. The vandals better watch out.
BowMan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 10:36   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1689390

Just a small update today. Few weeks back it was raining hard and I had left my Mercedes uncovered for the night. Unfortunately that caught the attention of someone and he pulled away with the hood ornament.

Today I finished installing my third star in as many years. Before I installed the star I have also spent 2 weekends installing surveillance cameras around my house and now two of them focus on the from where our cars are usually parked. The vandals better watch out.
A common problem for all Mercedes owners the world owner. There are detachable ornaments, so when you park you car, you can simply take it with you.

Touch wood, mine has never been ripped off yet. Probably just a matter of time

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 10:15   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
A common problem for all Mercedes owners the world owner. There are detachable ornaments, so when you park you car, you can simply take it with you.

Touch wood, mine has never been ripped off yet. Probably just a matter of time

Jeroen
Lucky you and I hope it stay like that. But I'm kinda fed up of this and so the surveillance system. If it happens again and I know who is doing it the guy will have it. But when I take her out and park her I have to make sure he is within my sight. Some of the busy shopping malls are favorite hunting grounds for these vandals.
Old 27th October 2017, 11:11   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1689390

Not only that I had my Star ripped off by a person who was crossing the road at busy Bandra junction just because he felt like fidgeting with it. The Bandra junction on SV road is a place where hundreds of people will even stop a moving car in order to cross the road. Luckily now I have a V-cross and no one dares jumping in front of it at the Bandra junction.
Old 27th October 2017, 12:42   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Not only that I had my Star ripped off by a person who was crossing the road at busy Bandra junction just because he felt like fidgeting with it. The Bandra junction on SV road is a place where hundreds of people will even stop a moving car in order to cross the road. Luckily now I have a V-cross and no one dares jumping in front of it at the Bandra junction.
Hey nice to hear from you tazmaan after a long time. On the Mumbai roads I can for sure visualize this situation. We don't have it so bad in these parts but I have started to become more careful where and when I take her out.

Do you have any news of that green beauty from its new owner. It would be nice if you or the new owner could still post some updates every new and then. Do let me know if you visit Gujarat. I will bring over my 123 and maybe will like to take a look?
Old 27th November 2017, 10:36   #133
BHPian

Hey Friends,

Just a small but comforting update to share today.

Over the past few months I had realized that my W123's AC system does not hold refrigerant for too long. The R134a as leaks out in about two months time and R12 lasts almost twice, but none the less there is a significant leak that has to be fixed.

I had discussed this with my AC technician who has asked me to leave the car with him in the winter months as he will have more time to devote.

Last week I took the car to the workshop and left it there. I had asked hi to disconnect all components and pressure test them. After two days of leaving it at the workshop I got a call from him saying the 'evaporator' coil has a leak. That was the worse I could have expected because that would mean the dashboard will have to be removed and it is extremely difficult to source the evaporator coils. I told him let me visit the workshop tomorrow and we will decide what to do.

The next day I reached the workshop to see the younger of the two Naidu brothers happily bolting a new condenser coil on my W123. I was surprised because I expected to see a ripped apart dash board so I asked him andar ka ho gaya kya (is everything done in the inside)? Andar ka to sab fine hai saar (everything inside is fine saar) came the reply.

So I walked up to the senior Naidu and he told me it was the condensor that was leaking and not the evaporator. Maybe he was too tired or maybe I heard him wrong. Whatever it was I was happy to learn that we would not need to source or fabricate the evaporator. We also discussed a few more points. The previous owner had for some reason disconnected the thermostat wheel and the auxillary fan switch was also bypassed. I asked him to put everything as close to original as possible and whatever additions to be done to enhance to strengthen the system should be unobtrusive to look at.

Finally after two more days I got a call from the Naidus that the car is done and I can collect her. He had installed a new high flow condenser coil, an AB pressure switch on the drier and connected the aux to it, and last but not the least he had rewired everything to the thermostat wheel inside the cabin. Now I can get rid of the ugly red switch and operate the compresor as MB had designed it to be operated.

Very happy with the end result indeed. I tested the air temperature at the center vent at it does down to a cool 3.3 deg C. Now she drives as cool as she looks and the whole thing was very reasonably priced at 8,800 INR

Here are some pictures.

'83 Mercedes 240D - My W123 Restoration Diary-ac-1.jpg

'83 Mercedes 240D - My W123 Restoration Diary-ac-2.jpg

'83 Mercedes 240D - My W123 Restoration Diary-ac-3.jpg

'83 Mercedes 240D - My W123 Restoration Diary-ac-4.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
'83 Mercedes 240D - My W123 Restoration Diary-ac-5.jpg  

BowMan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 10:33   #134
BHPian

Painting is always so much fun!

Finished painting some interior trim today on my 84 W123. So satisfying and what better way to paint a W123 than with a SataJet Model B.

Leaving everyone with some pictures. I hope you all enjoy.

'83 Mercedes 240D - My W123 Restoration Diary-26772237_2019151661445160_617382135_o.jpg

'83 Mercedes 240D - My W123 Restoration Diary-26772297_2019151691445157_602503880_o.jpg

'83 Mercedes 240D - My W123 Restoration Diary-26735755_2019151798111813_1410119477_o.jpg

'83 Mercedes 240D - My W123 Restoration Diary-26772225_2019151928111800_1161338796_o.jpg

'83 Mercedes 240D - My W123 Restoration Diary-26781723_2019152058111787_2021713274_o.jpg
BowMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 11:37   #135
BHPian

Is there a group on whatsapp for Mercedes owners & enthusiast in India, Which could help communicate with each other faster.
Bowman hope I am not hijacking your post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks