Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2007, 18:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

@MF - i was talking about his Fiat's paint only. i know that there is no point comparing but then i did that in terms of the paint. no issues against anyone. I love Padminis/1100s and i own one too. chill yaar!

Last edited by planet_rocker : 21st June 2007 at 18:53.
Old 21st June 2007, 20:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Can you enlighten me as to the positives of the "President", what did the President have that the 1100d didn't. Moreover What did the President do that the Padmini couldn't do better?

Or is it the exclusivity of the President badge.
Old 21st June 2007, 22:34   #18
Team-BHP Support

1100D,

AFAIK, there are only cosmetic differences separating all models. They ran the same engines all through. Some minor cosmetic differences that I can point out after seeing your garage and Karl's President are:

1) The side trim (side patti) is different.
2) The front windscreen has a rubber frame in the president. Your car has a metal piping.
3) The side indicators on both cars were same but now after seeing your garage its different . The original side indicators are here - President
4) The front grills are noticeably different in your car and the President.
5) I guess you altered the direction in which your wipers move? They should always move as if designed for a Left hand drive.

Phew thats what I learnt from Karl. He takes classes filled with gaalis to teach very often!
Old 22nd June 2007, 03:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
1100D,

AFAIK, there are only cosmetic differences separating all models. They ran the same engines all through. Some minor cosmetic differences that I can point out after seeing your garage and Karl's President are:

1) The side trim (side patti) is different.
2) The front windscreen has a rubber frame in the president. Your car has a metal piping.
3) The side indicators on both cars were same but now after seeing your garage its different . The original side indicators are here - President
4) The front grills are noticeably different in your car and the President.
5) I guess you altered the direction in which your wipers move? They should always move as if designed for a Left hand drive.

Phew thats what I learnt from Karl. He takes classes filled with gaalis to teach very often!

Dont hold my car as standard!! I did not see any point in keeping the original trimmings as is. So
  1. Side Patti is the same on the 1100d and the president (I have it sitting at home!! its made of antimony).
  2. 1100d did not have the metal garnish on the windscreen rubber (that garnish serves no other purpose than being cosmetic!)
  3. corner markers , the same story, Original ones were round. However changed that to clear lens units from Zen.
  4. The Grille too in our car is not original (in a sense that it did not come with the car), it had a different 1100d grill which someone stole and it has the Aluminium 1100d grill. This grill is different from the President's. So the Grille alone is a differentiator. (The Fiat Logo is original, so is the 1100d moniker)
  5. The Wiper was retrofitted to operate the other way as I used to face a lot of problem driving in our Kolkata Monsoon.
Karl had pointed me to fit the originals on earlier, but I am in no mood for doing that, However, I am NOT parting with the original trim bits either, including the Bumper protectors and the Hubcaps!

Anyway did you forget the Quarter glass? Such a horrible thing it was, used to cause a lot of blind spots while cornering.

One more important thing, Does anyone know Maxwell toys?
Old 22nd June 2007, 10:07   #20
Team-BHP Support

Good points 1100D. Keep the differences coming. We would like to learn more.

No we do not know Maxwell toys.
Old 22nd June 2007, 11:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

Wow, though I'm an Amby guy, this President seems to be in mint condition. Appears as if just rooled out of the assembly line...

Quote:
President's car can be seen in his profile. The best that Pune had alongwith Karl's car. Doesn't it look showroom condition?
Old 22nd June 2007, 11:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

@ President

W O W !!! The most immaculately maintained Premier President I have seen in a long long time. You sure know how to look after her....Congrats on this great possession or is it obsession LOL
Old 22nd June 2007, 11:47   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

MTJ 648 is by far the most original and best maintianed Indian Fiat I have ever seen...It is an unrestored car, with just an overcoat of paint on the outside. Shes covered a genuine 40k kms, and drives like a dream. The car is in the right hands no doubt...!

My car has had many cosmetic changes over the years, plus the paint on my car is older than me....done in the late 70s...while it has held up very well, its no comparison!
Old 22nd June 2007, 11:49   #24
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for getting your internet fixed Karl. What about differences between the 1100D and the President?
Old 22nd June 2007, 11:51   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Anyway did you forget the Quarter glass? Such a horrible thing it was, used to cause a lot of blind spots while cornering.
One more important thing, Does anyone know Maxwell toys?

The quarter glass first made an appearence in 62 on the super select, and was around till the late 80s i think...while it took me some time to get accustomed to it, I now quite enjoy using it...very useful for a non AC car.

Maxwell had made a few Premier President 1:43 scale models back in the day....anybody got one?!
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2007, 11:59   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for getting your internet fixed Karl. What about differences between the 1100D and the President?

still not fixed, cant open or load any attatchments, and i have so many to share!

Besides whats already mentioned, the delight had a meter cluster of 3 round meters, and the last models had a conventional black faced unit. The president had a silver faced meter, by yenkay. Presidents were also the last models to feature thicker guage bodies, and superior gearboxes. Dont ask me to explain why, as i cant! The President was the only model to feature the PAL logo in the script of the Fiat logo...featured on the grille, hubcaps and horn button. The next year featured the diamond logo of PAL that everyones familiar with. The President was also the first model to lost the aluminium inner door and window winder handles. There are a surprisingly large number of small changes in each model, usually not visible.

The President was also the last model to feature aluminium Taillights and numberplate lights, and a slightly slimmer steering wheel, while it was the first to lose telltale lights on the dash, being integrated into the meter.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 22nd June 2007 at 12:07.
Old 22nd June 2007, 12:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

What is a Fiat President... sorry little lost.. Pics would help
Old 22nd June 2007, 15:29   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
What is a Fiat President... sorry little lost.. Pics would help
the Premier President was the first of the earlier Fiats to be badged a Premier. Made from late 72 to late 73, it was essentially a badge engineered Fiat 1100 AKA Premier Padmini.

After the government of India objected to the use of the name President, the name was changed to Padmini, with more cosmetic changes.

karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2007, 11:36   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Heres some more nice Presidents from the Fiat Clubs previous rallies.

This ones still in original paint!

Old 2nd July 2007, 09:38   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

*drool* me want white-walls like these!!!
Btw, I first thought this was your president until I saw the images up close!

Last edited by Stanher : 2nd July 2007 at 09:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks