Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2009, 00:18   #61
Senior - BHPian

Ok, just remembered it's a '69 and now I'm not too sure if it's a fastback. Been painted pearl yellow like this. Will try to get pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: '67 Mustang Fastback-25939550017_large.jpg  

Old 15th April 2009, 10:55   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
OOOps. This IS a fastback, now that we see the picture. This is pre 1970. Is this Khoday's car? Anyway, there are now 3 fastbacks in India. I hope that Ajmat was referring to this car, then he was right in the 1st place.
Did you notice, there are 2 different green Mustangs, KRE and DDD. The latter seems to be Doc's car.

Cheers
Update/correction.
Last weekend I was in Pune, sat with Karl and looked at photos. I saw a rear view of Khoday's car. It is indeed a fastback!
That makes it 4 presently known in India,
2 Bangalore
1 Mumbai
1 Indore

Cheers
Harit
Old 15th April 2009, 14:32   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update/correction.
Last weekend I was in Pune, sat with Karl and looked at photos. I saw a rear view of Khoday's car. It is indeed a fastback!
2 Bangalore
1 Mumbai
1 Indore
Cheers
Harit
Id like to ad one in Delhi too. A red one, still languishing outside the house of an adamant businessman who has been saying hes goin`g to restore her since the last 6 years. Unfortunately he has not even touched it. Sad!! the the total count is 5 known and seen such cars in India.
Old 15th April 2009, 15:04   #64
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Id like to ad one in Delhi too. A red one, still languishing outside the house of an adamant businessman who has been saying hes goin`g to restore her since the last 6 years. Unfortunately he has not even touched it. Sad!! the the total count is 5 known and seen such cars in India.
Sirjee,

Bengaluru certainly has more of them, not only 2.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: '67 Mustang Fastback-dsc03220.jpg  

Old 15th April 2009, 20:49   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Sirjee,

Bengaluru certainly has more of them, not only 2.
The car in the picture is certainly not a '67 Mustang Fastback that this thread is about. Looks like a 1971-73 Mustang Mach 1 to me. Nicknamed Clydesdale this is a rather disliked model by the purists. Even caused a mini-revolt within FoMoCo because the old timers disliked the design and felt it was less Ford and more GM! Actually as a result of this disapproval the Ford script was omitted on the usual places where it appeared in the previous models. Mustangs lost the plot, and their charm, from here many say, until recently with the retro-modern look Mustang, which I think is fab.

@Mustangman of course would know a thing or two more about all this, and the other experts too for sure.

Now, getting back to the topic of '67 Mustang Fastbacks, there used to be a metallic green-coloured one outside a house in New Friends Colony, Delhi along with a yellow '76/77 Ford Granada (the US model with stacked small rectangular headlights). That was about 15-20 years ago. The car was complete, very original but sadly neglected. One day she went missing until I saw her again, restored, but I felt she looked better earlier in her rundown state! Probably a dealer had acquired her from the original owners, painted her maroon and then after some time she went to the gent who now owns the ex-filmstar Raj Kumar's '56 Chevy Belair. Changed hands from there also and last I heard she was owned by the husband of the fashion diva who was one of the chief guests at the Rally for the girl child in Delhi last month. The gentleman owns an avaition business. Don't even know the present condition, believe it's not too good though! Don't know how much the car means to him, never seen him driving her around.
Old 16th April 2009, 11:07   #66
Senior - BHPian

The car mentioned by Pavan is a 1971 Mach 1, does not count as a fastback which we are talking about. And, there are 2 such cars in Bangalore, the other is with Doc. And by sheer coincidence, both the Bangalore cars came from the same guy in Santa Cruz in Mumbai. And both are now red. But they were not fastbacks.
One fastback met its end at Cuffe Parade in a municipal car dump next to Somani School. That was in around 1980. Now that place has been cleared up.
So now we have 6, two in Delhi. I am sure we will find some more fastbacks.
Old 17th April 2009, 12:26   #67
BHPian

My little perspective on Mustang Fastbacks, if I may. The Mustang Fastback wasn't just restricted to 1967. It was first introduced in 1965, I think by Caroll Shelby. However, only in '67 did the fastback swoop all the way till the deck lid. The '65 and '66 were part notchback and part fastback, but called Fastback, nonetheless. When the Boss and Mach 1 came in '69 Ford started calling the swooping Fastback by the new name of 'Sportsroof'. Technically it was still a fastback though. So the '71-73 Mach 1 here (the last of the series 1 Mustangs) is a fastback all right, but not a '67 Fastback, which is what this thread is dedicated to. '67 is generally considered the groundbreaking model year of the Mustangs, probably that's why this thread is dedicated to it.

Last edited by Prabal : 17th April 2009 at 12:28. Reason: spelling of 'to'!
Old 21st April 2009, 18:18   #68
BHPian

Harit Sir,

this car is not a 1971 mach 1. It has the usual 302V8 auto engine package. the hood is modified to look like a mach 1. but its a normal fast back. And this particular body type was referred to as fast back. it came from 1971 to 1973.

Regards

Aditya

Quote:
The car mentioned by Pavan is a 1971 Mach 1, does not count as a fastback which we are talking about. And, there are 2 such cars in Bangalore, the other is with Doc. And by sheer coincidence, both the Bangalore cars came from the same guy in Santa Cruz in Mumbai. And both are now red. But they were not fastbacks.
One fastback met its end at Cuffe Parade in a municipal car dump next to Somani School. That was in around 1980. Now that place has been cleared up.
So now we have 6, two in Delhi. I am sure we will find some more fastbacks.
Old 22nd April 2009, 13:07   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Harit Sir,

this car is not a 1971 mach 1. It has the usual 302V8 auto engine package. the hood is modified to look like a mach 1. but its a normal fast back. And this particular body type was referred to as fast back. it came from 1971 to 1973.

Regards

Aditya
Well, we are talking about pre 1971 fastbacks, see the pictures of the cars we are talking about. Prabal has explained in his thread. These cars also came in 2 door coupes, so the fastback was a nobler version. I believe all post 1970 models, 1971 onwards lokked like fastbacks, but they were longer cars and lost the pony shape.
Yes, so this 1971 red car is not a Mach1, but it is not of the type or series we are talking about.
In fact this guy had 2 cars, one to be built as a mach1, but then he gave away both separately and the parts went with the second car. When sold onwards the parts were retained.
Cheers harit
Old 22nd April 2009, 18:05   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
this car is not a 1971 mach 1. It has the usual 302V8 auto engine package. the hood is modified to look like a mach 1.
Quote:
Yes, so this 1971 red car is not a Mach1, but it is not of the type or series we are talking about.
This is indeed a 1971-73 Mach1. 71-73 Mach1s did have a 302cid engine option too, the 69-70 did not. Hope we can move back to the '67 Fastback now, if that's what this thread is to remain about.
Old 2nd May 2009, 15:45   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero View Post
Brilliant, yay, theres a V8 muscle car in india! So far, I've only heard of the V6-engined variants.
there are way more than you think!
Old 6th May 2009, 19:20   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
My little perspective on Mustang Fastbacks, if I may. The Mustang Fastback wasn't just restricted to 1967. It was first introduced in 1965, I think by Caroll Shelby. However, only in '67 did the fastback swoop all the way till the deck lid. The '65 and '66 were part notchback and part fastback, but called Fastback, nonetheless. When the Boss and Mach 1 came in '69 Ford started calling the swooping Fastback by the new name of 'Sportsroof'. Technically it was still a fastback though. So the '71-73 Mach 1 here (the last of the series 1 Mustangs) is a fastback all right, but not a '67 Fastback, which is what this thread is dedicated to. '67 is generally considered the groundbreaking model year of the Mustangs, probably that's why this thread is dedicated to it.
the fastbacks were produced upto 1973 (sold as 74 models to clear the ford inventories from the dealers) along with the hard top coupe and the sportsroof. All throughout the beginning upto the end (the end was in 74 when the mustang II came in). There were just these 3 bodystyles mated to various engines resulting in the BOSS, the GT (Plain GT, GTCS and the fabled 350/500), and the Mach1. Only these three Body styles however remained .
Old 2nd August 2009, 13:05   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangcollectr View Post
the fastbacks were produced upto 1973 (sold as 74 models to clear the ford inventories from the dealers) along with the hard top coupe and the sportsroof. All throughout the beginning upto the end (the end was in 74 when the mustang II came in). There were just these 3 bodystyles mated to various engines resulting in the BOSS, the GT (Plain GT, GTCS and the fabled 350/500), and the Mach1. Only these three Body styles however remained .
Quote:
Update/correction.
2 Bangalore
1 Mumbai
1 Indore

Cheers
Harit
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Well two more added to the count.There are two in chandigarh,one owned by the ownewr of JCBL and the other is owned by Mr.Mannu Sharma.So friends how many does that make it then ?
Old 29th June 2010, 15:47   #74
BHPian

hey guys
i know i am replying to a year old thread but does anyone have any info on any mustang for sale in india
pls advise
thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks