Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2008, 19:37   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM
Jaggu,

I agree that almost 80% of classics or vintages in the world have got a punched engine number, and yes they are common.
Hi Pavan,
on what basis you are saying that " 80% of classics or vintages in the world" got a Punched Engine NO.
Any statistic to prove that ??
I know for sure that the well maintained classics/vintages of Kerala have their original engine. Please dont make such GENERALISED Blanket Statements' to appear as FACTS!!!Everyone is not like the guy who sold the BUG'to Automannj

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th May 2008 at 19:54. Reason: fixed quote tag
Old 7th May 2008, 19:48   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
I agree that almost 80% of classics or vintages in the world have got a punched engine number, and yes they are common.
Sorry, I beg to differ here! That is an assumption on your part, and a grossly incorrect one at that.
Old 7th May 2008, 21:28   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automannj View Post
Here is the story on my beetle, originally it had a 1300 engine which was removed because it was not performing well. Then it was fitted with a 1500 engine (Ryan confirmed that is what I have now).
To match the book and to smoothen the transfer procedure, 1500 engine# is scraped off the stand and original 1300 engine # has been printed in its place.
Dude! its not as simple as it is made out to be! The value of your car suffers a loot with all such illegitimate mods. Also, Its not a very regular or a minor thing to be just dismissed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Guys.

When the seller and the Buyer is happy and are not bothering to clear the air on the forum, Why should there be an arguments and counter arguments over this issue.

I am again reitrating.

LETS NOT ARGUE OVER A THREAD WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT KIND OF DEAL THE BUYER OR SELLER WAS INTO.

Jaggu,

Pavan, Pls understand that this not a commercial forum. we are all friends here. We are enquiring about the car as we consider automannj as one of our friends.If everything is done properly from your side, why are u snapping at every single person who writes something on this thread??

P.S: DO NOT SEND ME A PM REGARDING THIS!!!

Also, Do not generalize the general situation about number stamping in classic cars. Its is not true. It may be a norm in your club or whatever, but don't even generalize about bangalore even, as its not true.
Old 7th May 2008, 22:25   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naren4140 View Post
Jaggu ur analogy is like "if an exam is difficult to pass by studying for it" then using cheat sheet or copying is acceptable...!!!
come on guys !!!
Sadly yes, and i didnt mean that i support copying :P

Its the state of things, on one side they have rules which say, get approval, then change and then get final inspection and approval. For approval engine details for purchase, engine health etc. But in reality in india everything is fake, and if someone approaches with real stuff then they are given the toyal run around. So eventually all this bypass techniques.

Sad but true

Again i dont know about % thingies, but my humble experience unlike the "experts" know for real that things are faked at some point or other, purist please excuse, my belief my opinion, no debate accepted :P

chill guys !!!

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th May 2008 at 22:30.
Old 8th May 2008, 12:48   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Dude! its not as simple as it is made out to be! The value of your car suffers a loot with all such illegitimate mods. Also, Its not a very regular or a minor thing to be just dismissed.
Pavan, Pls understand that this not a commercial forum. we are all friends here. We are enquiring about the car as we consider automannj as one of our friends.If everything is done properly from your side, why are u snapping at every single person who writes something on this thread??
Also, Do not generalize the general situation about number stamping in classic cars. Its is not true. It may be a norm in your club or whatever, but don't even generalize about bangalore even, as its not true.
JayD you wrote what I wanted to . This thread started as a happy one with Automannj writing about his new ride. Turns out that he was not told of all the details before the transaction.

Automannj: I have a question for you . Would you have bought the car at the price you did if you knew that an engine swap and stamp had been done , which essentially brings down the value of the car? If yes, then I suggest that the mods close this thread. If not, then ...
Old 8th May 2008, 12:51   #51
BANNED

Guys,

I dont want to get into each and every club to see who's got genuine engine numbers.

I can bet on what i've said. 30% of top vintages in INDIA does'nt even have proper papers, and the rest are not original engines barring a few originals.

I am sad to see people not accepting reality.

Why cant i make a generalised statement on a public forum, when everybody does so.

Anyways if everyone content with this thought, i am OK with it.

JayD,

Automanj has not bought the car from me.

I am not clarifying anything to anybody here.

Again i am not snapping at everybody, i only meant why should we talk about deals without knowing it.

What are we talking about Friends on the forum, its become a crab management.

I am only replying on a public forum, which belongs to every responsible person. Everyone wants me to stop i'll do it right now from this moment.

If we talk about writing facts only, why is the buyer or the seller quiet on the forum. Its only we who are quabbling over unknown deal thats gone through.

If Automanj is our friend even Brat who's sold the car belong to the forum, is he not a friend, why do i see everyone snapping at me for replying on his behalf.

This is not real guys, lets get a bit rational when we talk about Friends on Forum.

We are not having a radical approach toward this post.

Buyer and Seller WHERE R U GUYS?
Old 8th May 2008, 13:35   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post

Hi JayD, the Bangalore Beetle Club is noway connected to the deal nor do we approve of stamping. Pavan and Brat happen to be members of the club. Their opinions are their own and not the Club's opinion.
Old 8th May 2008, 13:50   #53
BANNED

Also, Do not generalize the general situation about number stamping in classic cars. Its is not true. It may be a norm in your club or whatever, but don't even generalize about bangalore even, as its not true.[/quote]

What has the club got to do with this unknown deal guys,

Why are we linking.

Lets be fair and rationale when we are discussing an issue, and keep the replies pertaining to it.

MODERATOR: KINDLY CLOSE THIS THREAD SINCE THE BUYER NOR THE SELLER IS NOT CLEARING THE AIR. THIS THREAD IS GOING NOWHERE. ITS JUST BECOMING A MUD SLINGING THREAD.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 8th May 2008 at 14:06.
Old 8th May 2008, 13:58   #54
BHPian

And i must admit that Pavan is a very enthusiastic beetle buff and must admire the way he has restored his car from a heap of metal to a nice machine
Old 8th May 2008, 14:20   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naren4140 View Post
And i must admit that Pavan is a very enthusiastic beetle buff and must admire the way he has restored his car from a heap of metal to a nice machine

Thanks again Naren cheers:
Old 8th May 2008, 20:36   #56
BHPian

naren, jd ,prabhu and all others, let me make one thing clear, as i see it neither kalyan nor I have made and remarks on the forum, i have spoken to him and have clarified the matter, as it stands, the way things are going is typically what happens at an accident site. the involved/affected parties resolve the matter and bystanders take it up upon themselves to see who is right and wrong.most of you werent involved in this transaction, neither were you all party to it.When you dont know then why pass comments.
Naren: pls note, if you can show me a way "not to cheat in my exams" then i will gladly do it. Take an instance of your 60 year old car having an engine failure, you replace the engine, WHAT DO YOU DO NEXT???? Is it as simple to go to the RTO and say hey i swapped my engine? you need certain documents- like a sale reciept etc, it is a long process and kalyan was in a hurry to get the car. I agree with pavan that many vintage cars do not run with proper documents. I havent cheated anyone not even the govt, as some of my "friends" on the forum have mentioned.All taxes have been paid and the engine isnt a stolen one, it was bought from my friend.

If the buyer doenst have a problem or as issue as he clarified with me then i really dont see any reason for all others to pass judgment on this matter. Please take your mud slinging elsewere.
MODS: pls close this thread as it is headed nowhere.
Old 8th May 2008, 21:12   #57
BHPian

brat001 we are not interested in "MUD SLINGING" nor are we expecting a "mea culpa" from you. I personally was interested in protecting the interest of Bangaloreans/other car enthusiasts who are interested in owning these cars, and the Bangalore Beetle Club which you are a part of.

FYI-in addition i have passed all my exams(both india and abroad) with hard word and diligence.

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th May 2008 at 23:25. Reason: Merged
Old 8th May 2008, 22:12   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Automannj: I have a question for you . Would you have bought the car at the price you did if you knew that an engine swap and stamp had been done , which essentially brings down the value of the car? If yes, then I suggest that the mods close this thread. If not, then ...
Had I know it had illegitimate modification then I wouldn't have purchased the vehicle. But I guess it is too late to think about it now.

Can I still get the endorsement done or is it too late. Any suggestions on how to proceed..
Old 8th May 2008, 22:34   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automannj View Post
Can I still get the endorsement done or is it too late. Any suggestions on how to proceed..
I wouldnt say its too late, but at this stage I would say it isnt worth the effort. Plus the engine number has already been stamped. If that is divulged to the RTO, they can create trouble for you. Just forget about the past that you cant change (as you dont have the original engine to begin with), and focus on enjoying your car instead. As it is a VW engine itself, (and a direct fit) there should be no issues.
Old 8th May 2008, 22:40   #60
Team-BHP Support

If you are serious about endorsement, approach an RTO/RTA and ask for engine change/upgrade procedure, they will guide you. Very honestly i dont see a point in doing that now.

Now if you really want to know my views do PM me, since i dont feel very comfortable sharing my thoughts or views here anymore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks