Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2008, 18:23   #1
BHPian

My Beetle is here

My beetle finally landed in hyderabad on March 23rd. Got a call around 2:30 from the transport company saying the truck finally reached Hyderabad. It was the moment I was waiting for . I decided to carry a rope and a fuel can just in case I need it.

The weather was terrible that day, it was pouring continiously. I took a friend along with me and we finally reached the godown and saw the little lady safely fastened in the truck. My first impression, she was tired. As soon as I hopped into the truck to get a closer look, the cleaner comes over and tells me they had trouble loading the vehicle and required 6 guys to push her into the truck.

I guess the story here is after Ryan left the car at the loading station these guys tried moving her in but somehow couldn't get the vehicle to run so they had to push her into the truck.

After collecting the keys I stepped in to start the vehicle, first few times it woulnd't start so I opened up the front boot to see if there was enough fuel, but it came out low. Had one of the cleaners run out to get some fuel while I checked out the interiors. After filling her up with some fuel, I decided to bring her down. At this point there were lot of cars stopping to get a good glimpse of the vehicle. After I brought it down safely, I tried starting her again and after few tries it finally started.

The one thing I didn't want her to do is stop in the middle of the highway because it was flodded with water and luckily she didn't. It was a pleasure driving her home. After reaching home, had trouble reversing the vehicle. I guess reverse is a bit tricky in the beetle.

Rest of the week little lady stayed inside the garage. Next weekend cleaned her up and decided to take her out for a spin. Tried starting her few times but no luck, added some more fuel and this time the engine stayed on for few seconds. After checking the battery and retrying few more times the vehicle is not starting at all. If you know how a engine cranks when the battery is low, this is exactly doing the same thing.

Guess it is time for a mech visit.
Old 3rd April 2008, 18:52   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the new member in the family.

You will find yourself encountering countless niggling problems such as this in the first few days of using the car, especially since this is your first time with a classic. You will come across choked fuel lines, loose plug wires, flooding carbs, burnt out points and the like as a daily routine. And these are just minor problems requiring a couple of minutes to detect and correct, but more importantly will give you an idea of how to carry out basic maintenance yourself. You will find it a very rewarding process! We have many Beetlenuts on the forum as well to give you advice as and when needed. One very important book you must get a hold of is the Bible itself, John Muirs Idiot's guide to repair a Volkswagen. All possible procedures are written in a simple, non technical manner along with many useful tips.

Wish you many years of happy motoring!
Cheers
Karl
Old 3rd April 2008, 18:53   #3
BHPian

Do post some pictures, you know as they say " A picture is worth 1000 words"
cheers
Old 3rd April 2008, 20:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post
Do post some pictures, you know as they say " A picture is worth 1000 words"
cheers
hehe..you beat me to it,eclectix.
Bring on the pics,automannj. Nothing to beat a restored & shining Beetle!
Old 3rd April 2008, 21:12   #5
BHPian

saw one a couple of days back on mg rd
Old 4th April 2008, 00:10   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats automannj! Sorry couldnt answer your call today. 'didnt know it was a week since you got her though! Planning a surprise for us?

And yes, although it sounds monotonous, pics. please!
Old 4th April 2008, 00:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

A beetle is a beautiful car, full of character. congrats automannj on a wonderful purchase. h
Old 4th April 2008, 10:31   #8
BHPian

Thanks everyone. Photos are already in the VW Beetle Restored thread. For those who missed the news, I bought this beetle from Brat001.
Old 4th April 2008, 10:36   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Congrats automannj! Sorry couldnt answer your call today. 'didnt know it was a week since you got her though! Planning a surprise for us?

And yes, although it sounds monotonous, pics. please!
Stanher! I wanted to get the contact info of your friend who is restoring the other beetle. Can you PM me his phone number please.
Carbug is also looking for a good mechanic to get his beetle restored.
Old 4th April 2008, 14:15   #10
BANNED

Kalyan,

Finally you've come out of your hiding.

Smells another Beetle club starting there in Hyderabad.

I feel its time you guys including JayD,Carbug start forming one.

Not to forget, Your Beetle is equiped with CDI and no Delco, so forget changing point set and condencer for lifetime.

The problem is with jetting.That original Carb from VW doesnt seem to work well.

We've tried enough but ok for time being.

The best alternative is use a new carb meant for the Padmini. It runs damn well with it.

Try to check the voltage from the dynamo for charging and check the points in the regulator(electronic one-doesnt actually require). Go to a good electrician good means good old hands.

Rest, Your Beetle is a super runner.

Happy motoring.
Old 4th April 2008, 14:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Kalyan,

Finally you've come out of your hiding.

Not to forget, Your Beetle is equiped with CDI and no Delco, so forget changing point set and condencer for lifetime.

The problem is with jetting.That original Carb from VW doesnt seem to work well.

We've tried enough but ok for time being.

The best alternative is use a new carb meant for the Padmini. It runs damn well with it.

Try to check the voltage from the dynamo for charging and check the points in the regulator(electronic one-doesnt actually require). Go to a good electrician good means good old hands.

Rest, Your Beetle is a super runner.

Happy motoring.
Thanks for the tips Pavan. I will certainly get it checked by an electrician. Anything else that I should know, please feel free to shoot it to me.
Old 4th April 2008, 16:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

ME??? In hyderabad?? Pavanji! I'm in cochin!!
Old 4th April 2008, 16:36   #13
BHPian

Holy mother. One more of these insects .
Good addition to your stable automannj.

We had one of these in the family for a couple of decades and i had a rented VW beetle for a month in Kassel. Believe me the old one still has a character which the new one sorely lacks. Worth all the trouble.Enjoy
Old 4th April 2008, 16:59   #14
BANNED

Sorry Da,

Got confused with cochin and Hyderabad.

Where is ur Bug JayD?
Old 4th April 2008, 17:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry Da,
Got confused with cochin and Hyderabad.
Where is ur Bug JayD?
My bug?? Where???when??? Buddy!!!u need more sleep!!!

Last edited by JayD : 4th April 2008 at 17:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks