Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2009, 00:13   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a Cadillac 16? Do you mean V-16, ie 16 cylinders? If so, you also mean to say plural for that? Wow. Do tell us more. Im intrigued!
yes the caddy v16. He has a silver one, a black one and a few v12s as well. Same vintage-besides the other year models.
Makes you wonder why people like Rollers and Bentleys after seeing this beast in the flesh. The (radiator) grill came upto my shoulders! The most intimidating car Ive ever seen in my life, and believe me Ive seen pretty bizarre stuff in my life all over the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Thanks for the information buddy. You do seem like a great enthusiast but we must remember not to demean other cars especially if they belong to members.
=====================
What would you call Mr. Chowdhry from Delhi then?
You're correct. I was wrong in doing so. And yes I did forget Mr. Chaudhry. Just that I havent seen any collector in India More/selectively passionate towards American cars as compared to the British stuff. Everyone else seems to be particularly running behind Rollers and MGs. You're right, I mustve vsounded rude and pompous, and I'm sorry if did so, because thats the last thing Id like to be known as. Whoops-just saw your roller in your 'garage'. I take that Roller comment back too. Sorry!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd May 2009 at 07:34.
Old 3rd May 2009, 11:38   #32
Senior - BHPian

Hey there mustangcollectr.

Nice to hear about the "garages & garages of cars". BTW whose garages are these ??

also reagrding the plural V16s and the V12 that you have seen, could we see some pictures of them or get more info regarding their manifacture years, who were the original owners and wht kind of body style do they have.

This is absolutely amazing as we have been discussing the fact that there might not be any V16 Caddies in India then someone mentioned there ws one in south india and now you say two more in Indore. WOW please tell more.

Regarding collectors, collections and their taste its because of these people that we still have such wonderful cars around today and they need to be applauded for what they have achieved, specailly people like the gentleman whose house the Queen dined at.

Also you don't seem to have hear about Rasid Nawab and his collection of cars, mostly US, in Hyderabad.

BTW how many bikes does Najaf Ali Mirza actually own, going by your estimate it must be a huge figure, where does he park them

Cheers

Wasif
+
Old 3rd May 2009, 14:09   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hey there mustangcollectr.

Nice to hear about the "garages & garages of cars". BTW whose garages are these ??

also reagrding the plural V16s and the V12 that you have seen, could we see some pictures of them or get more info regarding their manifacture years, who were the original owners and wht kind of body style do they have.

This is absolutely amazing as we have been discussing the fact that there might not be any V16 Caddies in India then someone mentioned there ws one in south india and now you say two more in Indore. WOW please tell more.

Regarding collectors, collections and their taste its because of these people that we still have such wonderful cars around today and they need to be applauded for what they have achieved, specailly people like the gentleman whose house the Queen dined at.

Also you don't seem to have hear about Rasid Nawab and his collection of cars, mostly US, in Hyderabad.

BTW how many bikes does Najaf Ali Mirza actually own, going by your estimate it must be a huge figure, where does he park them

Cheers

Wasif
+
Hi Wasim!
The garages are of Mr. Barwani and the cars are of Mr. Barwani's and of his old freind Mr. Sharad Sanghi. The Sanghi family, as you might know has been owning and collecting cars for generations and maybe even before most collecters of today were even born. They dont display their cars in public, so a lot of people dont realize that they have such a collection. or for that matter, such a collection exists anywhere in India.
Like I said, I was fortunate enough to see the collection, shown to me personally by Mr. Barwani. To take photographs inside the Pentagon would be easier than doing so of this private collection! They are guarded in closed warehouse type garages in Indore (All at the same place, except some personal Cadillacs, Bentleys etc of recent vintage at the Barwani Palace nearby). There are 4-5 such warehouses with very high roofs and shutters in a sealed compound with 30-40 cars in each such garage. If you want to go and see the cars, just go to Indore and I'll tell you where it is, then you can request him and he would show you the cars...and pleeeease, dont even think of whipping out your Nikon D3x to post photographs on the internet! There will be a guard staring at you at all times as you ogle at the cars!!
And personally, in my opinion, for anyone who likes cars, especially of the vintage and classic variety (And especially Rollers in varios cuctom built coach guises form mulliner / park wards and the like,in particular)-this place is a pilgrimage that must be had at least once in a lifetime! Seriosly so.
Yup. Collectors are a lot that we should be greatful to indeed. I really respect the people who care for and 'nurture'these cars back to life and keep them lovingly like their babies. If it was'nt for them, these beauties would have been junked long ago. I feel so sad and upset when I see classics and especially muscle cars that are made no more, being torn apart for stunts in the Fast & the furios (God knows how many Chargers they mustve ruined) and the like. There should be a Shelter for Classics like the Shelter for Animals. I'd really like to form a PETA-like organisation to stop cruelty to (especially valuable, rare and endagered) Cars. My heart really goes out to these beautiful and rare machines everytime I see some horrible snooty actor('s stuntman) abusing and destroying a classic on screen. Remember the corvette in Con Air? That was a sad moment for me, even if it was a replica! I just dont understand why would anyone wanna do that to a car. Do children enjoy watching it? What could poosibly be the rationale behind such cruelty? Dumb. Like hunting tigers when they're dying and dissapearing.
Oh, Najaf Bhai has over a 100 atleast I guesstimate! There were 3 garages and there must be atleast 30-40 bikes in each garage I suppose.
All are at his house. Each and everyone of them. Especially good treat if you like classic bikes in particular.
Old 3rd May 2009, 15:13   #34
BHPian

Quote:
If you wanna see a REAL RD350, then go to hyderabad and see my freind Najaf Ali Mirza. He has more than 120-130 imported bikes from moto guzzis to classic gold wings to ZX12r ninjas to every conceiveble british classic motorcycle in concours conditon. His collection is generations old and he is the most simple, humble and down to earth man you will ever meet-unlike the newbie rich kids with no family background riding cbr600s who think they're now the cat's whiskers!

He has 3-4 RDs also which he bought home from the showroom towards the end and beleive me-one of them even had the original polythene on the seat cover from the showroom the last time I sawe it in one of his garages! He wont sell anything though, because he's a collector not a dealer.
What kind of joke is this ? Najaf bhai is a very dear friend and I know all the bikes in his garage. Which 120/130 imported bikes are you talking about ?? He has never owned more than 8/10 bikes in his lifetime. It is surprising that you have mentioned that you have personally seen all the bikes ?? The bikes in his garage are :
1. Kawasaki ZX ( bought a few years ago from Mumbai, he rode it down )
2. Honda GL 500 ( bought from Pune )
3. An old Honda 650
4. Military Triumph ( 3HW, made into a scrambler )
5. Norton 650 SS ( missing lot of trims )
6. An RD 350 which he inherited from his Late uncle, clocked 6000 kms.
7. The Old 250 Guzzi
8. BSA Golden Flash Plunger ( A 10 ).

One or two other bikes not worth any note.
Please stop giving false information here. From this post we can all make out that you do not have any facts and are just boasting and exaggerating. If anybody here wants to recheck what I have just said, PM me for Najaf bhai's number and you can all ask him directly. For the Hyderabad guys, he stays at Masab Tank, and when you are proceeding towards Mehdipatnam from Masab Tank, his house is next to the Hero Honda showroom.

Last edited by Technocrat : 4th May 2009 at 13:33. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 3rd May 2009, 15:16   #35
BHPian

thats not true. Ive SEEN the bikes. He has the bikes I said.
Old 3rd May 2009, 19:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangcollectr View Post
thats not true. Ive SEEN the bikes. He has the bikes I said.
You must be mistaking the bikes lying with one dubious mechanic, in Secunderabad, for the fabled Najaf Alik Khan collection. I grew up in Hyd and know him and his family well.

Thanks for the reply about the sealed warehouses in Indore, as you mentioned a once in a lifetime must visit place.

Did you also see any Duesenbergs there ? Awesome cars with such history and mechanical charm.
Old 3rd May 2009, 19:35   #37
Senior - BHPian

Boss, (pun not intended) lets talk of the Mustang in whose honour the thread is dedicated. We have strayed from the topic, of which i will also sheepishly share some responsibility.

Mustangcollectr, buddy kindly post some under hood pics please!!
Old 4th May 2009, 22:52   #38
Team-BHP Support

Nice ride Mustang, good to see you haven't chopped or scooped it.
How about posting some pictures of your Ninja in the motorbikes section?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
1. Kawasaki ZX ( bought a few years ago from Mumbai, he rode it down )
I'm guessing this was the red ZX-12 R, correct? By any chance did he happen to sell it a while ago?

manson.
Old 4th May 2009, 23:19   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
You must be mistaking the bikes lying with one dubious mechanic, in Secunderabad, for the fabled Najaf Alik Khan collection. I grew up in Hyd and know him and his family well.

Thanks for the reply about the sealed warehouses in Indore, as you mentioned a once in a lifetime must visit place.

Did you also see any Duesenbergs there ? Awesome cars with such history and mechanical charm.
no dusenburgs..scj or plain vanilla...none from what I remember. Now THATS a car-the dusenburg eh? Jay Lenos got one of the best Ive seen (not in real life-just in pictures!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Nice ride Mustang, good to see you haven't chopped or scooped it.
How about posting some pictures of your Ninja in the motorbikes section?

I'm guessing this was the red ZX-12 R, correct? By any chance did he happen to sell it a while ago?

manson.
thank you. Keeping classics as original as can be is usually the best thing to do. When you get an import/sports car -you can chop that up to your hearts content, coz you can get another one from the showroom anytime, but a classic-once chopped-gone forever, right?
Nope, its a ZX-11 (ZZR1100). Red-yes. Sold recently-nope. I've had it since 2001.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Last edited by v12 : 5th May 2009 at 09:32. Reason: Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post
Old 5th May 2009, 09:28   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Keeping classics as original as can be is usually the best thing to do. When you get an import/sports car -you can chop that up to your hearts content, coz you can get another one from the showroom anytime, but a classic-once chopped-gone forever, right?
Oi, then why are you hot-rodding your original paint one owner Morris?
Old 5th May 2009, 09:49   #41
Senior - BHPian

Original paint Rodded Morris.

Do tell more. Exciting concept.

whats being done on the engine front.

Mustangcollectr.

Please do tell more on the Caddy V16's and the V12's you have seen in those fabled "sealed high roofed warehouses" please

Did you see any Marmon V16 there or any Bugatti or Alfa Romeos ?????

Last edited by wasif : 5th May 2009 at 09:52.
wasif is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2009, 10:55   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Oi, then why are you hot-rodding your original paint one owner Morris?
(1)Im not too fond of it
(2)Dont like the way it looks
(3)Dont like british cars anyway
(4)I wouldnt drive it the way it is-EVER(wouldnt be dead seen in it the way it is!)
(5)Not worth much anyway!
(6)Might as well!
Old 5th May 2009, 11:56   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
sure thing.Jus lemme snap some more!
oh yeah...the ssssssssss..well, I have.....

......(5)A black morris minor 1000 (Absolutely original from the faded paint to the upholstery, not to mention the engine). It requires a gorund up restoration job so Im thinking of chopping it up into a hotrod. Because I'm not into vintage cars-only classics because its a power thing with me, and vintages usually dont make as much as muscle cars do'right?
Quote:
Keeping classics as original as can be is usually the best thing to do. When you get an import/sports car -you can chop that up to your hearts content, coz you can get another one from the showroom anytime, but a classic-once chopped-gone forever, right?
Quote:
(1)Im not too fond of it
(2)Dont like the way it looks
(3)Dont like british cars anyway
(4)I wouldnt drive it the way it is-EVER(wouldnt be dead seen in it the way it is!)
(5)Not worth much anyway!
(6)Might as well!
That is very disheartening to me. You say the car has original paint and upholstry, you say classics should be kept as original as possible, and yet you want to desecrate such a well preserved example. That's a shame. Agreed, you would like to have a classic hot-rod, nothing wrong in that. There are plenty buggered-up Minors and Bugs around for that. Early Fiats and Ambys too. Dont mess with a good car, they are so hard to find - Morris or otherwise. Im sure most on the forum will agree with me. Either ways, wish you well in the endeavour.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2009, 13:10   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nope, its a ZX-11 (ZZR1100). Red-yes. Sold recently-nope. I've had it since 2001.
I was asking Dominator about Najaf's Ninja, I think his is the ZX-12 R which I have very often heard about, just wanted to confirm.
But, I was waiting for some pictures of your ZZR in the motorbikes section.

manson.
Old 5th May 2009, 19:24   #45
Senior - BHPian

Two Mustangs courtsey of Xoticar's extensive photo archives. Any idea who own these and where they are
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Mustang in Bhopal 302 BOSS V8-12002841_b0f40b.jpg  

Ford Mustang in Bhopal 302 BOSS V8-12202516_0199fa.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks