Old 22nd May 2009, 12:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Impressive well maintianed car.
My Fiat is APY 8586.
good to see this common community.
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:47   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
For Selects, all original keys I have seen (for ignition) are double sided 'Sipea', with an oval head. This car appears to have it, as does my one family owned car and President's all original one owner car.

The other key is used to operate door, boot and petrol cap. That will have a diamond head profile, also double sided. Most I have seen are 'Trama', a few 'Sipea' as well. Most have Torino inscribed as well, being made in Turin.
6466 Also has a set of the Original Magnetti Marelli Keys. We have removed the starter and kept it safely at home.
Old 23rd May 2009, 12:18   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
That really shows the history of your car - superb. You still retain the hard to find ventilation system with large pipe running from the grille to the bulkhead. I also see the rare washer fluid reservoir bag. Plus cool Sharco/Venus (?) horns.

I suppose you must have a large history file. If you do have the original bill of sale, warranty booklet, accessories list etc do share a scan with us.

Any contributions to this thread will also be welcome.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ly-s-cars.html
Dear Karlos, I need to check the make of the horns. I know the car has two of them. There is a little switch hidden under the dash that changes from one to another. Father says one of them is the original one which came with the car.

I dont think we got the original bill of sale as we are the second owners of this car. Cant trace the manual and warranty booklet at home. I hope its not lost. the only consolation is that we havent moved homes since 1966 so there is a fair chance of it poping up some where. As for the history file, unfortunately we never kept one.....

I have a few old family pictures with cars. will put them up soon. (grandmother tells me they owned a RR at some point and has promised to fish out a picture of it)
Old 23rd May 2009, 14:21   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attari View Post
I have a few old family pictures with cars. will put them up soon. (grandmother tells me they owned a RR at some point and has promised to fish out a picture of it)
Wow, really looking forward to that. Do post it here.
Old 23rd May 2009, 20:36   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One Sunday afternoon surfing the internet hoping to get a glimpse of the
Cartier Concours D’Elegance held in mumbai, I came across team-bhp.

Shocked by the poor coverage of this event by the media in general, I was delighted to see that Team-Bhp and its members had truly captured every detail in a character befitting a connoisseur. I wasted no time in signing up, and to catch up on lost ground I spent most of my free time reading various threads and post's covered under the forum, vintage cars & Classics in India.

I am taking the liberty of starting this thread in the hope of restoring a vintage back to its old glory with a lot of help from my fellow team-bhpians.. 4266 as she is better known at home, has been with us since 1966. It was a purchase my grand father made after selling his Austin 16. The car was sparingly used by her first owner as it was by us.

Restore would be a very harsh word to use, as my father has looked after the car very well. Although it was the primary car of the house for a very long time its only done 125000 miles. Although the car might have lost a few original parts like tail lapms etc to wear&tear and regular service, to the best of my knowledge the car is mechanically in original condition. We always got her serviced with the same mechanic who is known to the family. Just got the engine overhauled and some minor servicing done...

I am not well versed with the detailing of the car and thus need your assistance. It means a lot to me as its been with us for now over 40 years. Looking forward to all the help and advise i can get.

regards
Lovely car. The car is quite original overall. The tail light covers did'nt have the square reflector at the centre, that came only when the Super Select was introduced by 1962. Even the fuel filler cap at the rear left side was outside as Karl has shown. The kind shown with the fuel filler cover also came with the Super select for the first time in Fiats.
Try to search for the original ones (the fuel filler cap restoration to originality will be a tiring job )and it will take some time before you are able to fix such original spares, on the otherwise lovely car.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 23rd May 2009 at 20:39.
Old 24th May 2009, 19:35   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dad dosent recollect an encounter with Stanher.
Hi Saif,
Welcome aboard! Nice to see another hydreabadi enthusiast aboard tbhp!

Sorry I was busy the whole week with my exams, just back (although typing from a net cafe as our PC is down now!)
As you can see, your car sure has attracted a lot of eyes here!

Well, I'm not sure if the gent I met was your dad- his name was Mr. Mohd. Omar/Umar. He must remember me- my name is Shyam. I met him and photo'd the car at Punjagutta, where I spotted it while passing by.

Nice to see more pics. of your car- I see you've switched to the later dry type air-filter- I did too, on 2 Fiats that I had....those are less cumbersome (IMO) to maintain than the oil-bath ones.

'hope to know more about your lovely car....hopefully my comp. will be fixed soon so I could revert regularly!
Old 24th May 2009, 20:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Hi Saif,
Welcome aboard! Nice to see another hydreabadi enthusiast aboard tbhp!

Sorry I was busy the whole week with my exams, just back (although typing from a net cafe as our PC is down now!)
As you can see, your car sure has attracted a lot of eyes here!

Well, I'm not sure if the gent I met was your dad- his name was Mr. Mohd. Omar/Umar. He must remember me- my name is Shyam. I met him and photo'd the car at Punjagutta, where I spotted it while passing by.

Nice to see more pics. of your car- I see you've switched to the later dry type air-filter- I did too, on 2 Fiats that I had....those are less cumbersome (IMO) to maintain than the oil-bath ones.

'hope to know more about your lovely car....hopefully my comp. will be fixed soon so I could revert regularly!
Boss

This vintage of Fiat came with the dry element filter, the very one that you see on the car.

My car also has the same kind. Oil bath came in later cars.

What looks strange though is the position of the battery. If I remember corrrect teh battery should be on the lef not the right. Open to correction on this.

Last edited by wasif : 24th May 2009 at 20:02.
Old 25th May 2009, 20:31   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Boss

This vintage of Fiat came with the dry element filter, the very one that you see on the car.

My car also has the same kind. Oil bath came in later cars.
Whooops! Sorry I didn't know that! So looks like I fitted back the original one only! Good then!
Old 26th May 2009, 10:25   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Wasif - the original position of the battery is on the right side in the engine compartment as viewed sitting in the driver's seat. My father had a 1960 model car BMC9291 which was original in all respects so I know. The horn has a long cover and is below the battery. I have seen the original FIAT layouts also. I used to work in R&D in Kurla.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 26th May 2009, 10:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Wasif - the original position of the battery is on the right side in the engine compartment as viewed sitting in the driver's seat. My father had a 1960 model car BMC9291 which was original in all respects so I know. The horn has a long cover and is below the battery. I have seen the original FIAT layouts also. I used to work in R&D in Kurla.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Hi Behram

So what you are saying is that the correct battery position as it would be as the cars left the factory would be next to the carb i.e. the left side if you are standing facing the engine compartment.

If so this is strange as I know for sure my car has it on the right side and its how the car came equiped. Why would anyone go to the trouble of switching the location of the battery.

The horn as you mentioned is on the left side and is of the old fashioned kind with the long front cover.

Last edited by wasif : 26th May 2009 at 10:41.
Old 26th May 2009, 10:44   #26
Senior - BHPian

Even my Super Select has battery on the right side when facing the Engine bay.
Never realised this switch of places.
Old 26th May 2009, 10:51   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Battery positioning has always confused me, all my cars put together have a fair mix of left and right placement, all single owners not modified. Usually best way to confirm is the manual, but I have seen anomalies there too as they were not India specific.

Some more research is in order, lets have a concrete answer to this.
Old 26th May 2009, 10:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

I know that all LHD cars including dukkars had batteries at the passenger side, which is opposite to the carb. Which in my opinion is the correct position because fuel is always overflowing from these Solex carbs and if the battery were to be there, there may be chances of fire.

However right hand dukkars I suspect originally came with batteries on the carb side and hence locally the battery position was inadvertantly reversed. When this happens in a RHD car its difficult the route the fan ducting which also moves in to that side towards the front grill in a RHD.I am facing the dilema in my dukkar currently where the battery is comming in the path of the duct.
Old 26th May 2009, 17:55   #29
BHPian

As per all the Italian L.H.D Fiat Owners manuals, the battery has consistently remained on the drivers side (to the left if you are sitting in the car). However on almost all the Indian dukkars, selects, super selects, etc I have seen, the battery is on the opposite side.

In Padmini's the battery position was reverted back to the LHD specification with exceptions being in the deluxe AC models which had the battery on the right side (with you sitting in the car) to accommodate the compressor and AC dryer.
Old 26th May 2009, 19:53   #30
Senior - BHPian

I am sure the battery actually came on the right side if one is standing in front of the car that is teh side that has the distributor and not on the side that has the carb . It is in a similar positon on the LHD Fiats I have seen in various places in Europe

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks