Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2011, 20:42   #226
BHPian

Re: My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton

From Spain received today 2 pairs of fender turn signal blinkers, with the small red and white lenses. One pair for The Mole and one pair for me.

These are the complete assembly with reflector and holder which is good because MB themselves only sell the lenses.

They were manufactured in August, 2010 and are genuine MB and came in MB packets. Included are the rubber gaskets.

Regards
Prithvi
Attached Thumbnails
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-img_0089.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-img_0090.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-img_0093.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 31st March 2011, 00:33   #227
Senior - BHPian

Lip smacking delicious, maybe I'll save them for my car gets invited to the Cartier concours
Old 31st March 2011, 10:40   #228
BHPian

Prithvi, Amol et all

That fender indicator light fitting looks stunning. The detail on these cars and more so on the larger 220 series was really a treat.
I also remember that our car had two country plates, there was a "D" on the right side one and the left side plate was empty. Another point was that our car also had two spare tyres. We also got a 100,000 KM badge from the factory through the local Mercedes dealer but the funny part was that our car had a speedometer in miles. It read to 90 MPH. The variations in the pontons were really uncountable.

As the 180D was a European spec car it had very weak headlights totally unsuitable to our sub continental roads of the time. After my grandad had a very close shave with a bullock cart he changed the lights to what were then the new fashioned sealed beam units from a Chevy. This was done around 1958 or so and I am told that it made not a great difference but a "difference between life and death" as my grandad was so fond of repeating.

Another phrase he used in 1970 when 180D was showing her age was " she's running on her reputation for quality".
I never understood what that meant at the time but do so now!
Old 31st March 2011, 18:10   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
Prithvi, Amol et all

That fender indicator light fitting looks stunning. The detail on these cars and more so on the larger 220 series was really a treat.
Hi Alvis,

Thank you for your appreciation. In fact, since you mention the detailing on the 220 series, my car is going to have the 220 style spear shape lamps as well, a dealer option. I'm having a tough time to get the reflectors and bulb holders for them though (I've been quoted a ridiculous $250 for the holders!)

Quote:
I also remember that our car had two country plates, there was a "D" on the right side one and the left side plate was empty. Another point was that our car also had two spare tyres.
Well, ask Amol, his car has factory fitted twin spares too.

Quote:
We also got a 100,000 KM badge from the factory through the local Mercedes dealer but the funny part was that our car had a speedometer in miles. It read to 90 MPH. The variations in the pontons were really uncountable.
My car's speedo is till 140KMPH; good you got the badge, because they are really rare, though still issued by MB to those who can prove the mileage.

Quote:
As the 180D was a European spec car it had very weak headlights totally unsuitable to our sub continental roads of the time. After my grandad had a very close shave with a bullock cart he changed the lights to what were then the new fashioned sealed beam units from a Chevy. This was done around 1958 or so and I am told that it made not a great difference but a "difference between life and death" as my grandad was so fond of repeating.
My car's lamps were missing and had Amby lamps which didn't quite fill the openings nicely. I have now got used Bosch lamps from Australian scrap yard, but these are the later improved types as they have asymmetric style beam cutout for the right side, and are said to offer better visibility.

Quote:
Another phrase he used in 1970 when 180D was showing her age was " she's running on her reputation for quality".
I never understood what that meant at the time but do so now!
So do I

Best Regards
Prithvi
Old 3rd April 2011, 15:50   #230
BHPian

Hail to the India cricket team for such a historic and well deserved victory.

Just as the toss was about to take place, I reached Rahul Sircar's workshop (talk about dedication!). The place was a thrive of activity, around my car

Work has progressed quite a bit. The upper floor sheets were being seam sealed. The suspension small wishbone buffer (which I carried along) were inserted, the wheel hub back plates, with the kingpins and steering knuckles now set by the machine shop were epoxy painted, and the cooling pipes and water pump had been bolted on.

The shiny bits comprising nuts and bolts are on the front assembly, as shown in the pics. Also, new grease nipples on the suspensions. The single cannister of sealant however finished while I was there, and tomorrow, I shall be handing over 2 more. The car will now again be turned on its sides, the under body will be sealed and given the final coat of epoxy, and this time a more matt black paint. Then, the front and trunk areas on the upper part will be sealed, and the upper parts will be painted with the same paint. After this, the suspension assembly will start, wiring will start, and the engine will be tested outside and bolted to the chassis. Then the fun part, the trials will begin!

I shot a few pics with my new camera, showing the sealing, the front assembly, the cooling pipes and the back plates.

Looking forward to suggestions, views, criticisms.

Best Regards
Prithvi
Attached Thumbnails
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-left.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-right.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-floor_1.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-floor_2.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-floor_3.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-floor_4.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-backplate_1.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-dash_1.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-nipple.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-pipes.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-pumpe.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-wasserpump.jpg  

Last edited by mbz180 : 3rd April 2011 at 15:53.
Old 5th April 2011, 10:34   #231
BHPian

"Hail to the India cricket team for such a historic and well deserved victory."

Well deserved indeed, a hearty three cheers for India.

Looks nice, so happy to see a Ponton being looked after. I notice an alternator, was that part of the original specs or did you want to make life easier?
I dont remember the dynmo on these cars giving much trouble but maybe it is a parts isue?

I'm sure you are going to get a real treat out of this restoration, though not as much as we are getting out of watching you!!
Old 5th April 2011, 12:36   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
"Hail to the India cricket team for such a historic and well deserved victory."

I notice an alternator, was that part of the original specs or did you want to make life easier?
I dont remember the dynmo on these cars giving much trouble but maybe it is a parts isue?

I'm sure you are going to get a real treat out of this restoration, though not as much as we are getting out of watching you!!
Hi Alvis,

When I was last using the car, it was with this alternator, but that's because, as unlikely as it may seem, I misplaced the original dynamo. I now need to get and original replacement. Any leads any one?

Well, I really look forward to my weekly visits to the workshop, and towards the later part of this month, when a lot of work will be going on, I am sure the enjoyment levels will go up further.

I really am looking forward to using the car.

Best Regards
Prithvi
Old 5th April 2011, 23:13   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Hi Alvis,

When I was last using the car, it was with this alternator, but that's because, as unlikely as it may seem, I misplaced the original dynamo. I now need to get and original replacement. Any leads any one?
Dear Prithvi, it is possible to replace the original Bosch dynamo. with a lucas one from a Mk1 Ambassador, some amount of rewiring will have to be done and the cutout will also have to be Lucas. However Lucas stuff is more readily available and easy to mend.Bosch dynamos for the ponton are quite hard to find in India.rgds Amol
Old 7th April 2011, 11:43   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Dear Prithvi, it is possible to replace the original Bosch dynamo. with a lucas one from a Mk1 Ambassador, some amount of rewiring will have to be done and the cutout will also have to be Lucas. However Lucas stuff is more readily available and easy to mend.Bosch dynamos for the ponton are quite hard to find in India.rgds Amol
Let me know how many dynamos do you want. I know of a place in India which has a huge stock of dynamos. You name it and they have it, Lucas, auto light, Bosch. Getting the Voltage Regulators for the Bosch dynamo is difficult in India. Maybe it is difficult sourcing one in Bombay but that doesn't mean that it is hard to find all over India. You haven't looked hard enough.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 7th April 2011 at 11:44.
Old 7th April 2011, 13:38   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
You haven't looked hard enough.
If you say so. I have managed to get a dynamo. And I have 2 brand new regulators.
Old 8th April 2011, 14:55   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you say so. I have managed to get a dynamo. And I have 2 brand new regulators.
That was a response to themole's post in which he says getting bosch dynamos in India is very hard. Not with reference to your post.
Old 8th April 2011, 15:16   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That was a response to themole's post in which he says getting bosch dynamos in India is very hard. Not with reference to your post.
Hi Indrojit

If you can and find out for me if your source has the dynamo, let me know. Also I am looking for a pull starter for my Fiat 1100 if your source has that as well rgds Amol
Old 8th April 2011, 15:24   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Hi Indrojit

If you can and find out for me if your source has the dynamo, let me know. Also I am looking for a pull starter for my Fiat 1100 if your source has that as well rgds Amol
Please send me the part number of the dynamo so that's easy for me to get it for you. You could otherwise ask Prithvi where he got his dynamo from and you could source one from their. Just another option for you.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 8th April 2011 at 15:25.
Old 8th April 2011, 15:57   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Please send me the part number of the dynamo so that's easy for me to get it for you. You could otherwise ask Prithvi where he got his dynamo from and you could source one from their. Just another option for you.
Part no. for the dynamo (is the diesel version different?) is Bosch EED 0.8/12R30. My car uses a 160 Watt unit.
Old 8th April 2011, 17:15   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Part no. for the dynamo (is the diesel version different?) is Bosch EED 0.8/12R30. My car uses a 160 Watt unit.
That is about roughly 14 amps if what you say about the rating is correct.

The Diesel one came with a slightly higher rated since the starting load on diesel's are higher, so a bigger battery. Hence a higher rating of 20Amps.

The number provided by you is for a starter and not a dynamo. Please check and correct.

0.8 in the part number means- 0.8kw
12R30 - 12v Cw 9 Teeth pinion.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 8th April 2011 at 17:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks