Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2010, 14:40   #1
BHPian

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton

Note : This thread has been split from the original thread here : Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Welcome to the forum mbz180 how about a dedicated photo essay of your tryst with your beautiful Ponton.
Thanks for the welcome. As you know, my car is currently with Bumpu Sircar, undergoing a total restoration. But since he had a number of cars to complete before mine, so far the progress on the car is not much to write about. I will however post some pics of the differential, which was the first major part to be overhauled, and is now nearly complete. Now that both the Statesman Rally and the Tolly Club show are over, I have been told that work will start on my car full swing. In the mean time, I would like to take the opinions of Team-Bhp members as what would be a good colour combination of body paint and upholstery that would suit a 1958 Mercedes Benz 180a ponton.

I have come up with various paint and interior combinations all to be rejected by my father! So any suggestions would be highly appreciated. She was originally DB-40G, which is jet black when she was new, which grey MB-Tex interiors. I find that too common. The Moles ponton on the other hand is in a lovely combination but its already taken so please help!

Regards
mbz180

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd January 2010 at 17:15. Reason: Hi Taggy, have created a new thread for you - best to continue the discussion about your car here.
mbz180 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2010, 00:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Thanks for the welcome.
Well to begin with this a nice essay you wrote on your car on MBZponton.org I would like to share it with everyone.

Prithvi Tagore's 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton sedan © www.mbzponton.org
Old 19th January 2010, 00:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will however post some pics of the differential, which was the first major part to be overhauled, and is now nearly complete.

Hi guys

I have already put some pics of the differential,springs,axels etc. when it was being removed off the car.Here is a link to those pics - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1395071
Old 28th January 2010, 16:13   #4
BHPian

Hi everyone,

Since I haven't yet gotten any suggestions yet for the colour of my car, here is a picture of a particularly nice ponton 220S that belongs to a fellow International Ponton Owner's Group (IPOG) member in Japan. I really like the 2 tone combination, especially since it's an original Mercedes 2 tone factory option. The downside on the other hand in my car is, that mine has a shorter bonnet or hood, and this 220S has a longer hood which in my view makes it look better proportioned, so a 2 tone in my car may make my car look shorter. Apart from that, the 2 bodies are nearly identical. Please let me know what you guys think of this colour combination.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-mb220satsumida1.jpg  

mbz180 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2010, 16:28   #5
BHPian

Wanted to share with everyone my latest purchase for my car; it's a period 1958 Becker Europa Tube radio. At that time, transistorized radios were not yet available for cars, and the metal box that you see next to the radio unit is the power output box with glass tubes, valves etc. The radio was ordered by me from a seller in California, then shipped to a friend of mine in New York City and was carried by my friend to Mumbai (couriering would be very expensive as the 2 pieces combined weigh nearly 8 kgs) where I picked it up from and brought it back to Kolkata! The actual radio itself looks much fresher and better than what this picture shows, and I was surprised to find the original "Becker" stickers still intact and quite fresh after more than 50 years. Note that the volume and tuning knobs are from a slightly later period and do not match the dash knobs on my car. This was addressed by the seller by replacing the pictured knobs with correct bakelite and chrome knobs that are an exact match with those on my car's dash. The radio also comes with a 1 year warrantee, though should anything go wrong, I will have to bear the shipping expenses to the US and back! Still, it was an extremely good deal considering that i paid less than half of what similar condition working radios currently sell on e-bay. Mercedes offered a wide range of Becker, Motorola, Telefunken and Blaupunkt tube radios for pontons, as extra paid options.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-beckereuropahighfidelity.jpg  

Old 28th January 2010, 16:31   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

in reference the colour combo suggestion request -perhaps a Dark Green or Deep Burgundy Body with an Off-white / cream roof would look nice? what do you think?
Old 28th January 2010, 16:49   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
in reference the colour combo suggestion request -perhaps a Dark Green or Deep Burgundy Body with an Off-white / cream roof would look nice? what do you think?

The colurs are good, but dark green and off white have already taken my my friend's Mercedes 130H, pictures of which are in the Statesman Concours thread, so that's out, though it is a much older and completely different car. Burgundy and off white is good, but what about the upholstery? I was thinking another option could be a deep silver grey for the whole car, and deep red interiors, very Jaguar MK II like, though 300SL Gullwings quite often came in this combination. I'm confused!
Old 28th January 2010, 21:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Black with red interiors if you ask me, incidentally Black is your original colour. Go for O REE GEE NALITY
Old 29th January 2010, 00:56   #9
BHPian

Here are a couple of scans of my car's original data and paint code plates, both of which were mounted inside the engine bay area of the front right fender. As I have said earlier, my car was painted DB-40 G, which is the MB code for black, and the "G" denoting the paint manufacturer Glasurit. Both the plates will be refurbished at a later date, to original appearance. Luckily, it turns out that Glasurit still goes by the old MB paint codes, and it is available in select stores in Kolkata
Attached Thumbnails
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-chassis-plate.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-paint-code-plate.jpg  

Old 29th January 2010, 15:05   #10
BHPian

Amazing.
Simply amazing!
Please put up some restoration pics as well.

Congrats once again.
Cheers!
Old 31st January 2010, 19:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameern.85 View Post
Amazing.
Simply amazing!
Please put up some restoration pics as well.

Congrats once again.
Cheers!

The car is under restoration you can see some pics of it on this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...-sircar-5.html
Old 31st January 2010, 19:26   #12
BHPian

Hi guys,

Here are some pictures and scans of some new trim and other cosmetic items that I have recently purchased which will add the finishing touches (though it's a long way off) to my car's restoration. These are some of the pieces that I am particularly proud of and am grateful that the Mercedes Benz Classic Center and other vendors across the world still manufacture, to original quality.

New amber bee hive lenses with gaskets & seals
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-beehivelense_2.jpg

Notice the 3 pronged locks
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-beehivelense.jpg

New door and fender stainless steel trim from Lebanon
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-doortrims_1.jpg

Old and new hood star, the new one is not from Mercedes, but from a vendor in Bangkok. I've only bought it for regular use, when the car is parked. Otherwise, the original star is in great condition, only requires a bit of polishing and will be used when the car is safe from vandals!
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-hoodstar.jpg

New and old white horn cap. It's from MB USA and is beautiful.
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-hornbutton_1.jpg

Interior lamp old and new inner side from Spain
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-innerside_1.jpg

Interior lamp new switch 3 position
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-interiorlampswitch.jpg

Old and new rear license plate lenses to be mounted on the bumper guards from Spain
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-licenseplatelense.jpg

New decal stickers from E-bay, as was fitted to the car originally. 2 stickers are already on the radiator
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-newdecals.jpg

NOS speedometer cable from E-bay
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-newspeedocable.jpg

Outer side of old and new interior lamp. Even MB does'nt make this anymore, but a vendor in Spain does, and it's beautifully finished.
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-oldnewinteriorlamp.jpg

Tail lamps old and new from the US. One of the more expensive trim items. MB USA only has red, white, red lenses and I wanted the red, white, amber lenses, which I was able to get from another classic MB vendor in the US
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-oldnewtaillamps_1.jpg

International Ponton Owner's Group (IPOG) leather key fob
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-ipogkeyfob.jpg

Reproduction chassis plate
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-newchassisplate.jpg

The current IPOG grille badge with the laurel wreath motif, used with permission from MB with a 220S featured
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-newipogbadge.jpg

Reproduction paint code plate
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-newpaintcodeplate.jpg

First IPOG grille badge, note the car featured is a 4-cylinder ponton
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-oldipogbadge.jpg
mbz180 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2010, 19:34   #13
BHPian

Here are a couple of pictures of my Becker Europa Tube radio now installed with the correct bakelite and chrome knobs. The words "Becker Europa" cannot be seen from a front angle, one has to be at a higher position than the radio to see the words, as one would be when driving the car.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-beckereuropa_1.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-beckereuropa_2.jpg  

Old 31st January 2010, 20:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

New decal stickers from E-bay, as was fitted to the car originally. 2 stickers are already on the radiator
Attachment 278452
This is lovely, the quality of components is awesome. I particularly like the decal stickers set, I have been looking for the same for my Fiat but with out much luck.
Old 31st January 2010, 20:31   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
This is lovely, the quality of components is awesome. I particularly like the decal stickers set, I have been looking for the same for my Fiat but with out much luck.

Thank you, yes the quality is very good and the photos I took don't do justice to how the items look in real. The tail lamps, bee hive lenses and horn cap look like they will last for a long time, so it's money well spent. The decals on the other hand were the cheapest purchase of mine, USD 19 for a set of 18 decals, and I was really fortunate that they are regularly offered for sale on e-bay. Have you searched hard enough on e-bay for decals? Some times, they have the most hard to find things up for sale. The only pictured items that were made in Kolkata are the reproduction chassis and paint code plates!
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks