Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2010, 11:18   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Hi mbz180,the restoration is coming along very well.The quality of restoration is brilliant.Just a few pictures back the underside was deplorable!

What about the ATE front cylinders?Its been sourced?

By the way there is very good website about the pontons,i guess you know about it already but still posting it here
Mercedes-Benz Pontons (1953-1962) © www.mbzponton.org
Hi Avishar,

Thank you very much for your views. I'm hoping that when I go this coming Saturday to the workshop, the other side will be completed as well leaving only the trunk area to be done.

Also, after seeing Stanher's ground up restoration pics of his Herald, I have asked my restorer to use Zinc Phosphate Epoxy primer rather than Red Oxide Epoxy primer for the under side panels as well as seam sealant for all those areas which are not fully welded.

Front wheel cylinders still missing, but am looking around for those as well as a new master cylinder optional type for use with brake booster. Also require a new steering dampener (very difficult to get) and drag link. Have ordered a few rubber parts from outside for the coil springs and rear suspension arms, as well the sub frame mounts. Should be in by mid-Dec.

I owe a lot to mbzponton.org, as most of my knowledge on pontons is due to this website. In fact my car is featured in the 180 gallery section, but the pics and write up are prior to its current restoration.

Regards
Prithvi
Old 13th December 2010, 11:32   #62
BHPian

Re: My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton

Hello all,

95% of the undercarriage of my car has already been replaced. This week the trunk section will be completed. After that the upper body rot will be taken care of.

Also have ordered the front and rear coil springs rubber pads, as well as the lower and upper sub frame mounts. Have also made inquiries for the steering damper, drag link, 4 front wheel ATE wheel cylinders, 27 mm master cylinder for use with ATE T-50 brake booster, water-pump and cooling pipes, hope to get them soon.

Have more or less chosen the colour scheme for my car. It will either be a black lower body with a medium green roof or dark green lower body will medium green roof. 2 tone paint scheme. Will use NC paint with a clear coat at the end, old style. Upholstery will be light tan leather with wool headliner. Carpets will be deep tan. What do you guys think? Also, now the under body primer will be grey zinc phosphate epoxy, rather than the red oxide epoxy.

Also, will have to take a week off from work as per the restorers request to sort out all the nuts and bolts and segregate them according to the finish/plating they will have.

Here is a paint chart for Mercedes pontons showing my paint scheme. Please give your views, suggestion as always. DB 221 Dunkelgrun and & DB 229 Mittelgrun.

Regards
mbz180
Attached Thumbnails
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-mb_colorchart2_insideb1.jpg  

Old 15th December 2010, 10:55   #63
BHPian

Hello Dear Members,

Of late I have been getting the feeling that for some odd reason, there seems to be a reluctance towards participation this thread. It maybe because of the relatively slow progress of the restoration or something else I can't quite pin point.

What ever the reason maybe, I had joined this forum with the intention of sharing and jointly participating with views, suggestions and comments on my car's work. However, the obvious lack of interest has made me rather disheartened and thus I will not be posting any more updates until the work on my car is completed.

I do hope that some of you realize that every restoration, due to certain factors, cannot always be lightning fast, and trust me, as the owner of the car, there have been times when I myself had questioned the resources being committed to the car, and the very slow initial work on the car. In fact, 2011 January was the target for getting my car ready for the Statesman Rally, but that will obviously not be possible.

So till maybe March next year or April, I shall not be posting any further updates.

Best Regards
Prithvi Tagore
Old 15th December 2010, 12:16   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Of late I have been getting the feeling that for some odd reason, there seems to be a reluctance towards participation this thread. It maybe because of the relatively slow progress of the restoration or something else I can't quite pin point.
Dear Prithvi

You would be doing grave injustice to all future-prospective Ponton owners if your thread were to get silenced. Please keep in mind that threads are not popularity contests that have to be won, nor blockbuster movies that should get public approvals to be considered successful.

Think of it as a service you are doing to all current and future ponton owners, not even the mbzponton site has a comprehensive case study of any ponton restoration.

Your doing a good job with your thread, please keep going

regards
Amol-the mole

PS: I dont think the two tone scheme suits the 180, 190 body type and was a bit of an after thought to combat the americans and british. I would rather seen a moss green throught the car.

Last edited by the mole : 15th December 2010 at 12:19.
the mole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2010, 12:44   #65
BHPian

Hello Prithvi,

You are doing a really great job here.. Restoring her through so much rust is not at all an easy task. It only shows your resolve to do it.. It is kind of inspiration to me when i will take up restoration in near future. I am no expert but the progress is coming really nice.. Wish you all the best..

Priyadarshan
Old 15th December 2010, 13:12   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Dear Members,

What ever the reason maybe, I had joined this forum with the intention of sharing and jointly participating with views, suggestions and comments on my car's work. However, the obvious lack of interest has made me rather disheartened and thus I will not be posting any more updates until the work on my car is completed.

I do hope that some of you realize that every restoration, due to certain factors, cannot always be lightning fast, and trust me, as the owner of the car, there have been times when I myself had questioned the resources being committed to the car, and the very slow initial work on the car. In fact, 2011 January was the target for getting my car ready for the Statesman Rally, but that will obviously not be possible.

So till maybe March next year or April, I shall not be posting any further updates.

Best Regards
Prithvi Tagore
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Dear Prithvi

You would be doing grave injustice to all future-prospective Ponton owners if your thread were to get silenced. Please keep in mind that threads are not popularity contests that have to be won, nor blockbuster movies that should get public approvals to be considered successful.

Think of it as a service you are doing to all current and future ponton owners, not even the mbzponton site has a comprehensive case study of any ponton restoration.

Your doing a good job with your thread, please keep going

regards
Amol-the mole

PS: I dont think the two tone scheme suits the 180, 190 body type and was a bit of an after thought to combat the americans and british. I would rather seen a moss green throught the car.

Dear Prithivi,

Please do not be disheartened by the lack of involvement by others on your thread. People like me have gone through your entire thread and wait for updates daily! As The mole as rightly said Your doing a good job with your thread, please keep going! We who have less or absolutely no knowledge about these kind of restorations can only watch and learn. and better than asking stupid questions i would rather watch the masters in action.
I just came to know of a friend (his father is a die hard MB fan - name his children after MB too!) had at point about 6 years ago that they owned 4 collectible MB's (All were sold off due to the deteriorating health of the father) and that one of them was a 1959 190d Ponton!
I am sure Karlosdeville with all the info on vintages and classics in Pune will know who and which car i am talking about.
Hats off to the great and detailed restoration that you have begun.
Please do not wait till March or April to give us more updates!
Kevin
Old 15th December 2010, 14:49   #67
BHPian

Hello All,

Thank you for your kind words and support. I have given some consideration to my decision and am happy to say that I will be posting updates again. My only request is, if any of you have any questions, please fell free to ask, as it might be informative to me as well.

Regards
Prithvi
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2010, 14:56   #68

Hello Prithvi,

Your thread may have just 65 replies but has 12075 views as I write, a clear indicator that there are lot many people interested in your thread.

Of the contributors, there are
- the practically experienced
- the theory based only ,
- who may own similar models and can talk about it in general and then
- the cheering and encouraging types.

Then there are others who have just leeched the info here and also the ones who have viewed it purely out of interest like me .

I have absolutely no idea of the Ponton, have never owned it, plan to do so or even seen it in real flesh. But I have visited your thread umpteen times.
So consider my kind also as contributors in a different way. We bring no info for you but a great many wishes from our heart to see your efforts go well.

Cheers
Old 15th December 2010, 16:20   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantaboyus View Post
Hello Prithvi,

Your thread may have just 65 replies but has 12075 views as I write, a clear indicator that there are lot many people interested in your thread.

Of the contributors, there are
- the practically experienced
- the theory based only ,
- who may own similar models and can talk about it in general and then
- the cheering and encouraging types.

Then there are others who have just leeched the info here and also the ones who have viewed it purely out of interest like me .

I have absolutely no idea of the Ponton, have never owned it, plan to do so or even seen it in real flesh. But I have visited your thread umpteen times.
So consider my kind also as contributors in a different way. We bring no info for you but a great many wishes from our heart to see your efforts go well.

Cheers
Hi Fantaboyus,

Thank you very much for your kind words. As already said, I will post again. Mole, regarding the 2 tone paint scheme, I may go with just moss green as well, just thought that black and green was a nice combination.

Regards
Prithvi
Old 15th December 2010, 16:41   #70
Senior - BHPian

BTW on a different note I am having quite tough time setting the new king pin and bushes on the car. Its not as easy as its made out to be, will try to put up some pics of the whole set up tomorrow.
Old 15th December 2010, 17:15   #71
BHPian

Quote:
BTW on a different note I am having quite tough time setting the new king pin and bushes on the car. Its not as easy as its made out to be, will try to put up some pics of the whole set up tomorrow.
Amol,

What kind of trouble are you having? I remember when I had replaced the king pins on my car, once the bushes were placed properly, it seemed quite simple.

Prithvi
Old 16th December 2010, 02:47   #72
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

Here are the latest updates on the under body. Oh, also a picture of the trunk sign. Enjoy!

Regards
Prithvi
Attached Thumbnails
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-seat_1.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-under_1.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-trunk_1.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-180resto12.12.10-031.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-180resto12.12.10-004.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-180resto12.12.10-021.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-180resto12.12.10-012.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-trunksign.jpg  

Last edited by mbz180 : 16th December 2010 at 03:01. Reason: adding pictures
Old 16th December 2010, 03:13   #73
BHPian

Missed a couple. Here we go.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-180resto12.12.10-019.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-180resto12.12.10-061.jpg  

Old 16th December 2010, 10:35   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Missed a couple. Here we go.
What are you going to use to seal the welded seams? Please do put up pictures of the bottle or can.
Old 16th December 2010, 11:56   #75
BHPian

Quote:
What are you going to use to seal the welded seams? Please do put up pictures of the bottle or can.

Hi Amol,

I don't know which one to use. Have to find out which is the best and then go with that. Will post pics of it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks